FXAA development?
Basically just a question of curiosity as to whether FXAA continues to be developed or whether what we have now is basically where it stops. Reason being that I recently acquired a 27" screen which only runs in 1080p, so aliasing (and the removal there-of) is now much more important to me. As before, however, performance is also very important, as is compatibility, and a "one size fits all" setting is something I'm hoping to find (8x TrMSAA is close, but not 100% compatible - eg GTAIV and W40K Space Marine - while Downsampling is limited to 1.5x1.5 resolution and doesn't affect things which don't let me set that mode). I understand that TXAA is the latest "thing" from NVidia, but I also understand that it cannot (yet) be forced - though I don't pretend to understand why (yes, I know that it needs information of some kind, but it stands to reason it already has that information since it just rendered the last frame/s). I also understand that FXAA 4.0 was well underway prior to the release of TXAA but it appears that all of Tim L's blog posts related to it have been removed, which I'm not taking as a good sign. So, has FXAA development stalled? Is what we have now what we're stuck with? And, if so, is there something else driver-based coming to take its place?
Basically just a question of curiosity as to whether FXAA continues to be developed or whether what we have now is basically where it stops. Reason being that I recently acquired a 27" screen which only runs in 1080p, so aliasing (and the removal there-of) is now much more important to me. As before, however, performance is also very important, as is compatibility, and a "one size fits all" setting is something I'm hoping to find (8x TrMSAA is close, but not 100% compatible - eg GTAIV and W40K Space Marine - while Downsampling is limited to 1.5x1.5 resolution and doesn't affect things which don't let me set that mode).

I understand that TXAA is the latest "thing" from NVidia, but I also understand that it cannot (yet) be forced - though I don't pretend to understand why (yes, I know that it needs information of some kind, but it stands to reason it already has that information since it just rendered the last frame/s). I also understand that FXAA 4.0 was well underway prior to the release of TXAA but it appears that all of Tim L's blog posts related to it have been removed, which I'm not taking as a good sign.

So, has FXAA development stalled? Is what we have now what we're stuck with? And, if so, is there something else driver-based coming to take its place?

Posted 03/05/2013 05:11 PM   
[quote="Thalyn"]So, has FXAA development stalled?[/quote] Last I heard, Timothy was done with it. Probably everyone else too, even though the source code is/was available.
Thalyn said:So, has FXAA development stalled?

Last I heard, Timothy was done with it. Probably everyone else too, even though the source code is/was available.

"This is your code. These are also your bugs. Really. Yes, the API runtime and the
driver have bugs, but this is not one of them. Now go fix it already." -fgiesen

Posted 03/05/2013 09:18 PM   
That's disappointing if true. I'll freely admit that it wasn't an ideal solution (its effect on text being the main problem - even in tandem with Oversampling) but given it worked quickly and with pretty much everything it was almost exactly what I was after. Injectors, given they have to be applied on a per-application basis, are just a pain which is why I hadn't really bothered with anything like SweetFX. I guess there's always hope of a successor.
That's disappointing if true. I'll freely admit that it wasn't an ideal solution (its effect on text being the main problem - even in tandem with Oversampling) but given it worked quickly and with pretty much everything it was almost exactly what I was after. Injectors, given they have to be applied on a per-application basis, are just a pain which is why I hadn't really bothered with anything like SweetFX.

I guess there's always hope of a successor.

Posted 03/06/2013 03:08 AM   
[quote="Thalyn"]given it worked quickly and with pretty much everything it was almost exactly what I was after.[/quote] I'm not sure why you are speaking in the past tense. Driver-forced FXAA is still a feature that works, and works well. The text blurring issue is a side effect of FXAA being applied at an unoptimal stage of rendering process. If FXAA shader is applied at the proper stage by game developer then such issue wouldn't occur.
Thalyn said:given it worked quickly and with pretty much everything it was almost exactly what I was after.

I'm not sure why you are speaking in the past tense. Driver-forced FXAA is still a feature that works, and works well.

The text blurring issue is a side effect of FXAA being applied at an unoptimal stage of rendering process. If FXAA shader is applied at the proper stage by game developer then such issue wouldn't occur.

"This is your code. These are also your bugs. Really. Yes, the API runtime and the

Posted 03/06/2013 08:53 PM   
Sad story really. FXAA 4.0 was underway, when Timothy was relegated to TXAA, and further FXAA development stopped. So at this moment we have: [b]SMAA > FXAA [/b] [b]SMAA T2X > TXAA[/b] [b]SMAA 4x > ALL[/b]
Sad story really.

FXAA 4.0 was underway, when Timothy was relegated to TXAA, and further FXAA development stopped.

So at this moment we have:

SMAA > FXAA

SMAA T2X > TXAA

SMAA 4x > ALL

Posted 03/06/2013 10:46 PM   
[quote="nesco1801"][b]SMAA T2X > TXAA[/b][/quote] Has anyone made any worthwhile comparison screenshots/videos to look at? It seems some of Crysis 3 single player maps would make a good test, as it actually looks as if they were designed to have very bad temporal aliasing on purpose...
nesco1801 said:SMAA T2X > TXAA

Has anyone made any worthwhile comparison screenshots/videos to look at? It seems some of Crysis 3 single player maps would make a good test, as it actually looks as if they were designed to have very bad temporal aliasing on purpose...

Posted 03/06/2013 11:37 PM   
Here ya go http://www.computerbase.de/news/2013-02/crysis-3-welches-anti-aliasing-ist-das-beste/
[quote="nvtweakman"]I'm not sure why you are speaking in the past tense. Driver-forced FXAA is still a feature that works, and works well. The text blurring issue is a side effect of FXAA being applied at an unoptimal stage of rendering process. If FXAA shader is applied at the proper stage by game developer then such issue wouldn't occur.[/quote] True enough that it still exists. The past tense was mostly in relation to FXAA4.0, which I was rather hopeful about. Given that most of what I play features a lot of text which is very negatively affected by FXAA, even when used in tandem with Oversampling, it really does make it something I cannot leave on 100% of the time. As for when it is applied, I don't entirely agree with that. SMAA, via an injector, doesn't have the same detrimental effect on text (or, if it does, it doesn't look as bad) and is applied at exactly the same stage. Granted they're two different formulae, it still suggests that it doesn't have to be that way and FXAA could be tweaked (via continued development) to not give those results - thus making is pretty well ideal for my situation.
nvtweakman said:I'm not sure why you are speaking in the past tense. Driver-forced FXAA is still a feature that works, and works well.

The text blurring issue is a side effect of FXAA being applied at an unoptimal stage of rendering process. If FXAA shader is applied at the proper stage by game developer then such issue wouldn't occur.

True enough that it still exists. The past tense was mostly in relation to FXAA4.0, which I was rather hopeful about. Given that most of what I play features a lot of text which is very negatively affected by FXAA, even when used in tandem with Oversampling, it really does make it something I cannot leave on 100% of the time.

As for when it is applied, I don't entirely agree with that. SMAA, via an injector, doesn't have the same detrimental effect on text (or, if it does, it doesn't look as bad) and is applied at exactly the same stage. Granted they're two different formulae, it still suggests that it doesn't have to be that way and FXAA could be tweaked (via continued development) to not give those results - thus making is pretty well ideal for my situation.

Posted 03/08/2013 02:49 PM   
Scroll To Top