DXGI ERROR DEVICE REMOVED
I have a EVGA GTX680 with the latest driver am playing Crysis3 but am getting the error message DXGI ERROR DEVICE REMOVED. I've run the GeForce optimization program but that didn't help. I have also notice these strange issues associated with this message. The message pops up in the game and it crashes to desktop where I get a message in the tray that says something to the effect that the nVidia kernel has stopped working and the video card has been reset. On my other machine which is a MacPro I have an nVidia GTX280 I can boot to OSX or Windows Vista. In Vista I was running AutoCAD and got the same system tray message (not the DXGI ERROR DEVICE REMOVED message). When they came out with an AutoCAD version for the Mac I switched to that and did not have any issues at all. Now I was running DX10 with the GTX280 card and DX11 on the GTX680 card (not sure if that has any bearing). What I am thinking is that it's the driver. A lot of people over on the C3 forum are having this issue as well as very bad stuttering. Do I need to use the nVidia driver (314.07) or one from EVGA?
I have a EVGA GTX680 with the latest driver am playing Crysis3 but am getting the error message DXGI ERROR DEVICE REMOVED. I've run the GeForce optimization program but that didn't help. I have also notice these strange issues associated with this message. The message pops up in the game and it crashes to desktop where I get a message in the tray that says something to the effect that the nVidia kernel has stopped working and the video card has been reset. On my other machine which is a MacPro I have an nVidia GTX280 I can boot to OSX or Windows Vista. In Vista I was running AutoCAD and got the same system tray message (not the DXGI ERROR DEVICE REMOVED message). When they came out with an AutoCAD version for the Mac I switched to that and did not have any issues at all. Now I was running DX10 with the GTX280 card and DX11 on the GTX680 card (not sure if that has any bearing).
What I am thinking is that it's the driver. A lot of people over on the C3 forum are having this issue as well as very bad stuttering. Do I need to use the nVidia driver (314.07) or one from EVGA?

Posted 02/26/2013 12:19 PM   
Crysis 3 is buggy... You're not the only one with that problem
Crysis 3 is buggy... You're not the only one with that problem

Asus P8Z77 V LE

Intel i5 3570K @ 4.8ghz

EVGA GTX980 SC

Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 @ 2400mhz

Posted 02/26/2013 11:31 PM   
I ran this DXGI DLL fixer and it seems to have fixed the issue as that error message hasn't popped up since. Now I'm having very bad stuttering -- to the extent that the game is unplayable.
I ran this DXGI DLL fixer and it seems to have fixed the issue as that error message hasn't popped up since. Now I'm having very bad stuttering -- to the extent that the game is unplayable.

Posted 02/27/2013 01:01 PM   
Well the stuttering got so bad I sent the game back to Amazon for a refund. Not sure if this is a driver issue but more likely a game issue. I uninstalled all references to nVidia (both in the file system as well as the registry) but it's impossible to remove all drivers as Windows puts an older one back in. So I ran the game for about 25 minutes with no issues and thought I was home free but then the freezes came back again. Not sure if it's a GPU heat issue because of the time it takes to start freezing but I have no way of checking that.
Well the stuttering got so bad I sent the game back to Amazon for a refund. Not sure if this is a driver issue but more likely a game issue. I uninstalled all references to nVidia (both in the file system as well as the registry) but it's impossible to remove all drivers as Windows puts an older one back in. So I ran the game for about 25 minutes with no issues and thought I was home free but then the freezes came back again. Not sure if it's a GPU heat issue because of the time it takes to start freezing but I have no way of checking that.

Posted 02/28/2013 02:18 PM   
i have had this device remove error and the only way i stopped crysis 3 from crashing was to set the gpu fan speed to max.after that crysis 3 didnt crash. i used msi after burner to increase the fan speed.hope i can be of help to anyone.
i have had this device remove error and the only way i stopped crysis 3 from crashing was to set the gpu fan speed to max.after that crysis 3 didnt crash. i used msi after burner to increase the fan speed.hope i can be of help to anyone.

Posted 03/23/2013 01:37 AM   
I have this same problem in Hitman Absolution. Tried to monitor the GPU temp but it did not go past 53 Celsius when playing the game. I'm completely puzzled!
I have this same problem in Hitman Absolution. Tried to monitor the GPU temp but it did not go past 53 Celsius when playing the game. I'm completely puzzled!

Posted 03/25/2013 10:35 PM   
I had exactly the same problem but found a post somewhere which suggested adding additional voltage using MSI afterburner. That did the trick for me and the game next crashes anymore. Just google the error and I am sure you will find the same post I stumbled across, careful upping the voltage and only do it in very small increments.
I had exactly the same problem but found a post somewhere which suggested adding additional voltage using MSI afterburner. That did the trick for me and the game next crashes anymore.

Just google the error and I am sure you will find the same post I stumbled across, careful upping the voltage and only do it in very small increments.

Current Rig:
Nvidia GTX 570
6gb Corsair Ram
Gigabyte EX58-UD3RIntel
I7 920 @ 3.2ghz
Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion
Corsair H80 Hydro
Windows 8 Pro

Posted 03/27/2013 10:14 PM   
I think I found a solution. (Worked for me) 1. Download MSI Afterburner here http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm 2. Install it and run it. 3. In the "menu" there is a "power limit" slider. 4. Usually it's on 100%. 5. Run Crysis 3 on MAXIMUM detail and resolution, AA, Vsync etc. 6. Play for about a minute then shut it down. 7. Open MSI Afterburner and look at the top graph on the right side of the window (Power%). 8. If your card consumes about 100% power, then put the slider to 70 - 80%. 9. That's all! This limitation prevents Nvidia BOOST - does not undervolt. core. Hope it was useful. ;)
I think I found a solution. (Worked for me)

1. Download MSI Afterburner here http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm

2. Install it and run it.
3. In the "menu" there is a "power limit" slider.
4. Usually it's on 100%.
5. Run Crysis 3 on MAXIMUM detail and resolution, AA, Vsync etc.
6. Play for about a minute then shut it down.
7. Open MSI Afterburner and look at the top graph on the right side of the window (Power%).
8. If your card consumes about 100% power, then put the slider to 70 - 80%.
9. That's all! This limitation prevents Nvidia BOOST - does not undervolt. core.

Hope it was useful. ;)

Posted 07/15/2013 12:06 PM   
Well, my english is very bad but, here it goes... For those who almost FREAKED OUT with the DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG error, I finally found the solution: Some weeks later, I noticed that my Logitech Gaming Software started to "deactivate" my mouse, then today this software suddenly stops working. I was trying to solve the DX error at the moment with MSI Afterburner (underclocked my GTX 760 HAWK to -105mhz), then, with the logitech soft off I tried to run the game one more time (NFS Rivals) and... Voila! The error never showed up again. If you are not using this logitech software, try close all the running programs in the tray... I choose to share this here to help, so if u are reading this, I think it's worth to try.
Well, my english is very bad but, here it goes...

For those who almost FREAKED OUT with the DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG error, I finally found the solution:

Some weeks later, I noticed that my Logitech Gaming Software started to "deactivate" my mouse, then today this software suddenly stops working. I was trying to solve the DX error at the moment with MSI Afterburner (underclocked my GTX 760 HAWK to -105mhz), then, with the logitech soft off I tried to run the game one more time (NFS Rivals) and... Voila! The error never showed up again. If you are not using this logitech software, try close all the running programs in the tray... I choose to share this here to help, so if u are reading this, I think it's worth to try.

Posted 02/16/2015 02:12 AM   
Hi! I see no new posts in here, but I'd need someone from nvidia support to check this: I've got the same issue with all of the new drivers on. I've got the dxdiag as well if you would contact me please. I receive the said error in almost every game I install on my computer. Its very frustrating... Playing for 5 mins or don't even get to main menu and its just breaking down... Games I tried: Division Heroes 7 Armored Warfare SW Battlefront, etc... Does anyone have any fix on this? Of course beside getting a new computer or graph card...
Hi!
I see no new posts in here, but I'd need someone from nvidia support to check this:
I've got the same issue with all of the new drivers on. I've got the dxdiag as well if you would contact me please.
I receive the said error in almost every game I install on my computer. Its very frustrating...
Playing for 5 mins or don't even get to main menu and its just breaking down...
Games I tried:
Division
Heroes 7
Armored Warfare
SW Battlefront, etc...

Does anyone have any fix on this? Of course beside getting a new computer or graph card...

Posted 03/14/2016 07:27 PM   
I, too, have been having this issue since January or so, playing MechWarrior Online (my only Crysis Engine based game), and I'd like a clear, step-by-step solution laid out (if there is one) for single-graphics-card setups like my Alienware 17 Laptop. I get the DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED variant of this crash at completely random and inconvenient times. I've tried newer drivers, older drivers, high graphics settings, low graphics settings (even setting the general selector to its lowest setting and having it auto-select all settings to their lowest options). Nothing has rid me of the crash, yet. I have a GTX 880M on a fairly new Alienware Gaming Laptop. I should be able to run my games on Ultra Graphics without any issues, with very few exceptions. :P I think I've tried without success, before, but I'm going to try the driver from Dell's website, which is NVidia driver 332.70 (Min req for shadowplay is 332.82, which is why I never stick with it). I have no clocking software apart from what comes with the computer by default. I have over 150 screenshots of these crashes since March of this year, though counting the ones I've skipped, I've probably crashed at least 170 times since then. Last night I tried switching the in-game setting from DX11 to DX9, which caused the graphics to hang (which was typical of an impending crash, previously), but then recover without crashing. However, the frequency of graphics hang-ups with DX9 was significantly increased to make the game very difficult to play. Does anyone know if DX12 solves any of these problems? Is there a particular solution that anyone has come up with for this specific problem? I know this is an NVidia forum, but I actually think the problem might be DX11, itself, because I downloaded a graphics card monitor which showed a very specific usage graph with each crash: the usage would start from nearly steady at around 60% or 70%, spike to 100%, then down to 0% as the game crashes. I've talked to other players who have desktop computers and/or AMD graphics cards, and those with the ability to graph their card usage have seen that same graph when they get that same crash. Thank you
I, too, have been having this issue since January or so, playing MechWarrior Online (my only Crysis Engine based game), and I'd like a clear, step-by-step solution laid out (if there is one) for single-graphics-card setups like my Alienware 17 Laptop.

I get the DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED variant of this crash at completely random and inconvenient times. I've tried newer drivers, older drivers, high graphics settings, low graphics settings (even setting the general selector to its lowest setting and having it auto-select all settings to their lowest options). Nothing has rid me of the crash, yet. I have a GTX 880M on a fairly new Alienware Gaming Laptop. I should be able to run my games on Ultra Graphics without any issues, with very few exceptions. :P I think I've tried without success, before, but I'm going to try the driver from Dell's website, which is NVidia driver 332.70 (Min req for shadowplay is 332.82, which is why I never stick with it).

I have no clocking software apart from what comes with the computer by default. I have over 150 screenshots of these crashes since March of this year, though counting the ones I've skipped, I've probably crashed at least 170 times since then.

Last night I tried switching the in-game setting from DX11 to DX9, which caused the graphics to hang (which was typical of an impending crash, previously), but then recover without crashing. However, the frequency of graphics hang-ups with DX9 was significantly increased to make the game very difficult to play.

Does anyone know if DX12 solves any of these problems? Is there a particular solution that anyone has come up with for this specific problem?

I know this is an NVidia forum, but I actually think the problem might be DX11, itself, because I downloaded a graphics card monitor which showed a very specific usage graph with each crash: the usage would start from nearly steady at around 60% or 70%, spike to 100%, then down to 0% as the game crashes. I've talked to other players who have desktop computers and/or AMD graphics cards, and those with the ability to graph their card usage have seen that same graph when they get that same crash.

Thank you

Posted 07/20/2016 12:16 PM   
Slow clap if you can reproduce an error that happened three years ago. I'm not sure if the generation of DX will fix it or not - most games are designed to use a specific version of DX with newer DX versions often being backward compatible. I could be wrong, don't have many DX issues myself. You may wish to communicate directly with the Nvidia devs since you've got a lot of info they might be able to use anyway but from what I can read in the rest of the thread it seems to be a Cryptic problem and you might want to see if they have any troubleshooting forums and/or contact their technical support directly. If you are using WX you might try completely uninstalling your card via the device manager and letting Windows redetect it and then DO NOT LET WINDOWS UPDATE THE DRIVER, make sure to update the driver from NVIDIA as Windows sometimes has fail drivers (like the ones I don't want them to install for my peripherals). You might also try running the game in compatability mode for an older version of Windows.
Slow clap if you can reproduce an error that happened three years ago.

I'm not sure if the generation of DX will fix it or not - most games are designed to use a specific version of DX with newer DX versions often being backward compatible. I could be wrong, don't have many DX issues myself.

You may wish to communicate directly with the Nvidia devs since you've got a lot of info they might be able to use anyway but from what I can read in the rest of the thread it seems to be a Cryptic problem and you might want to see if they have any troubleshooting forums and/or contact their technical support directly.

If you are using WX you might try completely uninstalling your card via the device manager and letting Windows redetect it and then DO NOT LET WINDOWS UPDATE THE DRIVER, make sure to update the driver from NVIDIA as Windows sometimes has fail drivers (like the ones I don't want them to install for my peripherals).

You might also try running the game in compatability mode for an older version of Windows.

Skyrim Mods/ResourcesEve Online Battle ClinicWhen you have an error and we want you to list your system specs...
OS: what operating system are you using and is it fully up to date
Chipset: your graphics card
Driver: the # of your driver and when it was last updated
Motherboard: your motherboard manufacturer, model, # of cores, and GHz
RAM: how many gigs
GeForce Experience v: what version of GFE are you using and is it the beta
Nvidia Services: are all services related to NVIDIA running if applicable.
Include your internet upload/download speed for streaming/broadcasting issues as well as what services you are streaming/broadcasting to.

Posted 07/20/2016 05:21 PM   
Scroll To Top