Is it normal for GPU to reach 90 c degrees?
Hey guys, I'm using 630m Dedicated 1 GB GeForce, When playing Dishonored on ultra I'm getting 80-90 fps. I'm using two external fans to cool down the temp. Should I be worried and add better external fans or just keep it as it's?
Hey guys, I'm using 630m Dedicated 1 GB GeForce, When playing Dishonored on ultra I'm getting 80-90 fps. I'm using two external fans to cool down the temp. Should I be worried and add better external fans or just keep it as it's?

Posted 02/25/2013 08:52 PM   
90c is ot ok , how are you using two fans on a mobile gpu? might want to check your laptop exausts
90c is ot ok , how are you using two fans on a mobile gpu? might want to check your laptop exausts

Posted 03/01/2013 10:25 AM   
Actually that is abit on the high side, considering the amount of load (Gaming) not unbelievable. What Ide do is 1) Reset the GPU heatsink, apply thermal paste if necassary. Make sure it is making contact and pressure. 2) With a utility set a FPS cap - 80-90 FPS is probley above your refresh rate try around 50 FPS. 3) Try under clocking the card and reducing the voltage via a utility. 4) Make sure internal laptop fan is funtioning - Listen at start up. 5) TWO FANS - use one for intake one for exhaust this is effective. 5.1) Check Air Direction, If the laptop is using an exaust method set that fan in the same direction and for the intake aswell. Yes you can unscrew the cooler and flip the fan...Ide personally modify the one I owned prior to purchasing a new one like wiring independant powers or USB cords to each fan, overvolt. 6) If laptop is stationary some covers can be removed like ram cover or hard drive cover. 6.1) If your into modification a solder iron can melt the case of the laptop allowing a fan to be installed or exhaust ports removed. 7) Check If the heatsink is Piped or connected to CPU If so apply all methods to both. 8) Check tempatures in the enviorment - Were the laptop sits does it generate heat on surfaces ? Its not good to place on fabrics like a blanket or a car seat, heat absorbs and also can prevent exhuast. 8.1) I wouldnt run the laptop In any enviorment that is hot/warm like a car, garage or direct sunlight. An increase in ambient air will add degree for degree to all the temps. I could keep going but these tips will get you started to maintain the heat. Also to awnser your queston directly yea there is a concern, the longevity of your GPU... Because excessive heat can shorten its life span and your laptop is dependant on the GPU.
Actually that is abit on the high side, considering the amount of load (Gaming) not unbelievable. What Ide do is

1) Reset the GPU heatsink, apply thermal paste if necassary. Make sure it is making contact and pressure.

2) With a utility set a FPS cap - 80-90 FPS is probley above your refresh rate try around 50 FPS.

3) Try under clocking the card and reducing the voltage via a utility.

4) Make sure internal laptop fan is funtioning - Listen at start up.

5) TWO FANS - use one for intake one for exhaust this is effective.

5.1) Check Air Direction, If the laptop is using an exaust method set that fan in the same direction and for the intake aswell. Yes you can unscrew the cooler and flip the fan...Ide personally modify the one I owned prior to purchasing a new one like wiring independant powers or USB cords to each fan, overvolt.

6) If laptop is stationary some covers can be removed like ram cover or hard drive cover.

6.1) If your into modification a solder iron can melt the case of the laptop allowing a fan to be installed or exhaust ports removed.

7) Check If the heatsink is Piped or connected to CPU If so apply all methods to both.

8) Check tempatures in the enviorment - Were the laptop sits does it generate heat on surfaces ? Its not good to place on fabrics like a blanket or a car seat, heat absorbs and also can prevent exhuast.

8.1) I wouldnt run the laptop In any enviorment that is hot/warm like a car, garage or direct sunlight. An increase in ambient air will add degree for degree to all the temps.

I could keep going but these tips will get you started to maintain the heat.

Also to awnser your queston directly yea there is a concern, the longevity of your GPU... Because excessive heat can shorten its life span and your laptop is dependant on the GPU.

Posted 03/01/2013 01:52 PM   
no for a good utilisation it is recomended to stabilise temp to maximum 80 degres
no for a good utilisation it is recomended to stabilise temp to maximum 80 degres

Posted 03/04/2013 07:27 PM   
Scroll To Top