MSI GTX 660 Ti PE: Kernel Mode, BSOD's, RMA's, Black screens, ...
Hi guys. I really need help. It's a bit of a long post but please bear with me. Recently, I've upgraded my computer, my rig looks like this: Windows 7 64 bit (fully updated) Intel i7 920 2.8 GHz Gigabyte GA EX58-UD3R DDR3 (fully updated) MSI GTX 660 Ti 2GB Power Edition OC (314.07) 6 Gigs of RAM I ordered the new hardware (new case, GPU and PSU) and the storeowner, where I bought the hardware from, just put it in there, not formatting and reinstalling my system. I kinda hoped it would work fine. But it didn't. My previous card was a(n) HD4890. Immediately I got BSOD's every day, no game would work well, ... Something that happened all the time was that games would play at 70 FPS, close, and open again running at 15 FPS. ([url]http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/29351719/game-closes-starts-up-again-and-runs-horribly---msi-gtx-660ti[/url]) Another fun part about my recent hardware (remember when new stuff used to... work as intended?) was that I constantly got the error: "Display driver NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver Version 314.07 has stopped working and recovered." My brother took a day off from work to format and reinstall my system, completely remove all traces of ATI, update Windows 7, update the drivers, update the BIOS, check if all hardware is working properly, cured all the world's diseases and, because either god or NVidia really want to punish me for trying to enjoy something new, it still doesn't work. On the forums I posted to link to above, I discussed this and the people there recommended me to underclock my GPU using MSI Kombustor. I did this and I underclocked it for about 25% (it said -25 so I'm not sure if this equates in percentage). Pretty much everything is much more stable. Most games run beautifully, like The Witcher 2, Far Cry 3 and Tribes: Ascend. However, when I want to play NFS: The Run all the problems came back crashing down: Kernel Mode, Black screen, "... has stopped responding". I tried the stability function of MSI Kombustor for over 20 minutes and that ran just fine. Back on the forums they said this is because of a faulty factory overclock and I should immediately RMA the card. I went back to the storeowner and he said that a new GPU will not help as factory OC are usually full of problems and there is a good chance the problem will persist. What should I do? I'm starting to get [u]very [/u]frustrated. One guy says this, the other says that. I thought ATI was the retard child in the corner, not Nvidia, that's why I changed in the first place.
Hi guys.

I really need help. It's a bit of a long post but please bear with me.

Recently, I've upgraded my computer, my rig looks like this:

Windows 7 64 bit (fully updated)
Intel i7 920 2.8 GHz
Gigabyte GA EX58-UD3R DDR3 (fully updated)
MSI GTX 660 Ti 2GB Power Edition OC (314.07)
6 Gigs of RAM

I ordered the new hardware (new case, GPU and PSU) and the storeowner, where I bought the hardware from, just put it in there, not formatting and reinstalling my system. I kinda hoped it would work fine. But it didn't. My previous card was a(n) HD4890.

Immediately I got BSOD's every day, no game would work well, ... Something that happened all the time was that games would play at 70 FPS, close, and open again running at 15 FPS. (http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/29351719/game-closes-starts-up-again-and-runs-horribly---msi-gtx-660ti)

Another fun part about my recent hardware (remember when new stuff used to... work as intended?) was that I constantly got the error: "Display driver NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver Version 314.07 has stopped working and recovered."

My brother took a day off from work to format and reinstall my system, completely remove all traces of ATI, update Windows 7, update the drivers, update the BIOS, check if all hardware is working properly, cured all the world's diseases and, because either god or NVidia really want to punish me for trying to enjoy something new, it still doesn't work.

On the forums I posted to link to above, I discussed this and the people there recommended me to underclock my GPU using MSI Kombustor. I did this and I underclocked it for about 25% (it said -25 so I'm not sure if this equates in percentage). Pretty much everything is much more stable. Most games run beautifully, like The Witcher 2, Far Cry 3 and Tribes: Ascend. However, when I want to play NFS: The Run all the problems came back crashing down: Kernel Mode, Black screen, "... has stopped responding". I tried the stability function of MSI Kombustor for over 20 minutes and that ran just fine.

Back on the forums they said this is because of a faulty factory overclock and I should immediately RMA the card. I went back to the storeowner and he said that a new GPU will not help as factory OC are usually full of problems and there is a good chance the problem will persist.

What should I do? I'm starting to get very frustrated. One guy says this, the other says that. I thought ATI was the retard child in the corner, not Nvidia, that's why I changed in the first place.

Posted 02/25/2013 02:32 PM   
i had the same issue with the same card! i overvolted it using MSI afterburner, leaving the clock speed the same. Here what i overvolted it to: POWER LIMIT - 110% CORE VOLTAGE - +75 MEMORY VOLTAGE - +20 AUX VOLTAGE - +10 Hopefully these settings will work for you!! good luck :)
i had the same issue with the same card! i overvolted it using MSI afterburner, leaving the clock speed the same. Here what i overvolted it to:

POWER LIMIT - 110%
CORE VOLTAGE - +75
MEMORY VOLTAGE - +20
AUX VOLTAGE - +10

Hopefully these settings will work for you!! good luck :)

Posted 02/26/2013 10:48 PM   
Hi there, thanks for replying. I am a noob at hardware stuff, so can you please explain something to me? I understand where to change power limit and core voltage, but I don't quite understand what you mean with Memory and Aux voltage, as I only have Core Clock and Memory Clock left. EDIT: Never mind, I saw the little hidden arrow in MSI Afterburner.
Hi there, thanks for replying.

I am a noob at hardware stuff, so can you please explain something to me?

I understand where to change power limit and core voltage, but I don't quite understand what you mean with Memory and Aux voltage, as I only have Core Clock and Memory Clock left.

EDIT: Never mind, I saw the little hidden arrow in MSI Afterburner.

Posted 03/03/2013 08:52 PM   
Did that helped to ur problem?
Did that helped to ur problem?

Posted 03/24/2013 10:09 PM   
Strangely enough it's fixed. How bizarre. Thanks for your help though!
Strangely enough it's fixed. How bizarre. Thanks for your help though!

Posted 03/26/2013 02:01 PM   
Scroll To Top