GTX 660 - Black Screen - No Drivers Work
I've been troubleshooting my system for hours now over the last two evenings with no resolution to the black screen issue I am seeing all over the web. On Monday night my system crashed during a game of COD:BO2 with graphical anomalies all over the screen running 310.70 drivers. Upon a hard reset I was presented with the Windows loading screen (logo + swirly) and now the system hangs on a this dreaded black screen every single boot with NVIDIA drivers installed. I've been through System Restores, driver uninstalls, driver re-installs, clean installs, manual driver removal, disconnecting from the internet & changing Windows 8 automatic driver install behavior. Nothing has helped. I can boot into Safe Mode fine and perform all of the actions mentioned above but as soon as I install any version of drivers from 306.97 to 314.07 I get nothing but a black screen when I reboot the system. If I uninstall all the drivers and rid the system of any NVIDIA data then the system will boot fine every single time on generic Windows drivers installed. If I boot into Windows normally running on generic Windows drivers and try to install 306.97 - it completes and installs fine but then I get the black screen upon reboot. If I try to install any version of the drivers from 310.70 to 314.07 while running in Windows normally I get the black screen just a few seconds after the "Installing graphics driver..." portion of the install routine and well; I don't really know what happens after that because I can't see a damn thing. Upon reboot with those drivers it's like the driver never completed because it boots fine but the driver isn't listed as installed in Add/Remove Programs and in the Device Manager it still lists the generic Windows driver. I don't know what to do. What do I have to do to get a freaking driver installed that won't give me this black screen? This system has worked flawlessly since built in November and I haven't had an issue with anything in it or Windows 8 until this happened on Monday night. The card seems to function perfectly fine without NVIDIA drivers installed so how do I correct this driver fiasco? Windows 8 Professional x64 Intel DZ77BH-55K motherboard Intel Core i7-3770K @ 3.5GHz Crucial Ballistix 8GB (2 x 4GB), DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) EVGA GTX 660 SuperClocked, 2GB, 192bit, PCIe 3.0 Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB SSD WD Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM HD DELL Professional P2411H 24" LED Monitor RAZER Lycosa USB keyboard RAZER DeathAdder USB mouse
I've been troubleshooting my system for hours now over the last two evenings with no resolution to the black screen issue I am seeing all over the web. On Monday night my system crashed during a game of COD:BO2 with graphical anomalies all over the screen running 310.70 drivers. Upon a hard reset I was presented with the Windows loading screen (logo + swirly) and now the system hangs on a this dreaded black screen every single boot with NVIDIA drivers installed.

I've been through System Restores, driver uninstalls, driver re-installs, clean installs, manual driver removal, disconnecting from the internet & changing Windows 8 automatic driver install behavior. Nothing has helped.

I can boot into Safe Mode fine and perform all of the actions mentioned above but as soon as I install any version of drivers from 306.97 to 314.07 I get nothing but a black screen when I reboot the system. If I uninstall all the drivers and rid the system of any NVIDIA data then the system will boot fine every single time on generic Windows drivers installed.

If I boot into Windows normally running on generic Windows drivers and try to install 306.97 - it completes and installs fine but then I get the black screen upon reboot. If I try to install any version of the drivers from 310.70 to 314.07 while running in Windows normally I get the black screen just a few seconds after the "Installing graphics driver..." portion of the install routine and well; I don't really know what happens after that because I can't see a damn thing. Upon reboot with those drivers it's like the driver never completed because it boots fine but the driver isn't listed as installed in Add/Remove Programs and in the Device Manager it still lists the generic Windows driver.

I don't know what to do. What do I have to do to get a freaking driver installed that won't give me this black screen? This system has worked flawlessly since built in November and I haven't had an issue with anything in it or Windows 8 until this happened on Monday night. The card seems to function perfectly fine without NVIDIA drivers installed so how do I correct this driver fiasco?

Windows 8 Professional x64
Intel DZ77BH-55K motherboard
Intel Core i7-3770K @ 3.5GHz
Crucial Ballistix 8GB (2 x 4GB), DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
EVGA GTX 660 SuperClocked, 2GB, 192bit, PCIe 3.0
Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB SSD
WD Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM HD
DELL Professional P2411H 24" LED Monitor
RAZER Lycosa USB keyboard
RAZER DeathAdder USB mouse

Posted 02/21/2013 04:02 AM   
I did fresh Vista install and even installed the older driver in Windows updates 306.97. And on system bootup [b][u]MONITOR IS BLACK AND I CAN'T TURN IN ON[/u][/b]. With reset or wake up from sleep which is resume from ddr2 memory (electric power is on in PC), then monitor works. [url]http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=2626&dl=1#manual[/url] [url]http://www.zotac.com/products/graphic-cards/geforce-600-series/gt-630/product/gt-630/detail/geforceR-gt-630-synergy-edition-4gb-2/sort/crdate/order/DESC/amount/10/section/specifications.html[/url]
I did fresh Vista install and even installed the older driver in Windows updates 306.97.
And on system bootup MONITOR IS BLACK AND I CAN'T TURN IN ON.

With reset or wake up from sleep which is resume from ddr2 memory (electric power is on in PC),
then monitor works.

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=2626&dl=1#manual

http://www.zotac.com/products/graphic-cards/geforce-600-series/gt-630/product/gt-630/detail/geforceR-gt-630-synergy-edition-4gb-2/sort/crdate/order/DESC/amount/10/section/specifications.html

Posted 02/21/2013 07:05 AM   
Well the last thing I tried last night before I gave up on my second night of troubleshooting this ridiculous issue is installing drivers from Windows Update. With the system running solid on generic built in Windows drivers (see attached screenshot below) I went into the Device Manager, right clicked on the graphics card and selected [b]Update Driver Software[/b] then selected [b]Search automatically for updated driver software[/b]. It starts downloading and installing and 75% through the system goes to a black screen. When I restart - like some of the previous driver installs I can reboot normally but when I look at the driver in Device Manager again it is still using the generic Windows built in driver. So it seems it black screens and doesn't even complete the install. Checking this driver in Windows Update afterwards labels it as [b]nVidia - Graphics Adapter WDDM1.1, Graphics Adapter WDDM1.2, Other hardware - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660[/b] (220.0MB), released in October 2012. Going by how Microsoft usually posts WHQL drivers on Windows Update I am assuming this is actually the 306.97 WHQL drivers available here but the size is a little different (220MB vs. 175MB). Whatever the case I still can't find a working NVIDIA driver. [img]https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1481801/Logs/builtin_windows_driver.png[/img]
Well the last thing I tried last night before I gave up on my second night of troubleshooting this ridiculous issue is installing drivers from Windows Update.

With the system running solid on generic built in Windows drivers (see attached screenshot below) I went into the Device Manager, right clicked on the graphics card and selected Update Driver Software then selected Search automatically for updated driver software. It starts downloading and installing and 75% through the system goes to a black screen. When I restart - like some of the previous driver installs I can reboot normally but when I look at the driver in Device Manager again it is still using the generic Windows built in driver. So it seems it black screens and doesn't even complete the install.

Checking this driver in Windows Update afterwards labels it as nVidia - Graphics Adapter WDDM1.1, Graphics Adapter WDDM1.2, Other hardware - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 (220.0MB), released in October 2012. Going by how Microsoft usually posts WHQL drivers on Windows Update I am assuming this is actually the 306.97 WHQL drivers available here but the size is a little different (220MB vs. 175MB).

Whatever the case I still can't find a working NVIDIA driver.

Posted 02/21/2013 01:23 PM   
So after some BIOS issues (I wont go into details about that mess) I enabled my integrated graphics, plugged in HDMI to the TV and booted up without issue. I installed the latest Intel drivers (Intel HD Graphics 4000), rebooted and no issues there - as expected and besides the point. I removed my GTX660 and booted back up. I removed any remaining NVIDIA driver remnants - but there really wasn't anything because at this point in my troubleshooting I was already running generic builtin Windows drivers and had previously uninstalled all NVIDIA drivers. Reboot again and all is well. I fire up the latest 314.07 NVIDIA drivers, select custom install, select clean install and choose only the graphics driver. However, the installer stops because you can't install drivers without the card in the system - I forgot about this. So I put the GTX660 back in start the 314.07 driver install again picking all the same options and just like before about 10 seconds after [b]Installing graphics driver...[/b] I get the same old black screen. This time I left it sit for about 15 minutes just to see what would happen but as soon as the black screen occurred there was absolutely no HD activity at all from the system - but yet I don't hear anything power down or shut off so it seems like it is all just running normally yet. Upon restarting the system it starts up normally but once again it is like I didn't even install the driver because the system is still using the generic builtin Windows driver and the NVIDIA driver is not listed as installed in Add/Remove Programs. At this point I am thinking it is a hardware issue - but I don't understand how it could still work fine in Safe Mode. Could it really just be an issue with the card when [u][b]only[/b][/u] NVIDIA drivers are installed? I just can't imagine that. I hope to rule that out tomorrow when I can grab a GeForce 210 card. I figure if I can install that card and install the same driver package successfully then that should rule out the actual driver & Windows 8 being the issue here. But if the driver install does the same exact thing (black screen) with that card then it is back to figuring out a software issue.
So after some BIOS issues (I wont go into details about that mess) I enabled my integrated graphics, plugged in HDMI to the TV and booted up without issue. I installed the latest Intel drivers (Intel HD Graphics 4000), rebooted and no issues there - as expected and besides the point.

I removed my GTX660 and booted back up. I removed any remaining NVIDIA driver remnants - but there really wasn't anything because at this point in my troubleshooting I was already running generic builtin Windows drivers and had previously uninstalled all NVIDIA drivers. Reboot again and all is well. I fire up the latest 314.07 NVIDIA drivers, select custom install, select clean install and choose only the graphics driver. However, the installer stops because you can't install drivers without the card in the system - I forgot about this. So I put the GTX660 back in start the 314.07 driver install again picking all the same options and just like before about 10 seconds after Installing graphics driver... I get the same old black screen.

This time I left it sit for about 15 minutes just to see what would happen but as soon as the black screen occurred there was absolutely no HD activity at all from the system - but yet I don't hear anything power down or shut off so it seems like it is all just running normally yet. Upon restarting the system it starts up normally but once again it is like I didn't even install the driver because the system is still using the generic builtin Windows driver and the NVIDIA driver is not listed as installed in Add/Remove Programs.

At this point I am thinking it is a hardware issue - but I don't understand how it could still work fine in Safe Mode. Could it really just be an issue with the card when only NVIDIA drivers are installed? I just can't imagine that. I hope to rule that out tomorrow when I can grab a GeForce 210 card. I figure if I can install that card and install the same driver package successfully then that should rule out the actual driver & Windows 8 being the issue here. But if the driver install does the same exact thing (black screen) with that card then it is back to figuring out a software issue.

Posted 02/22/2013 03:06 AM   
Dr@gon, Have you found a solution to this issue? I'm having the exact same problem and I even installed the graphics card on a different pc and had the same issue. When I installed it on my other machine it worked fine initially, but then windows did the automatic driver installation and required a reboot. After the reboot, i got up to the "starting windows" screen and from there i get the black screen. I can still see hard drive activity and I can get it to work in safe mode.
Dr@gon,

Have you found a solution to this issue? I'm having the exact same problem and I even installed the graphics card on a different pc and had the same issue. When I installed it on my other machine it worked fine initially, but then windows did the automatic driver installation and required a reboot. After the reboot, i got up to the "starting windows" screen and from there i get the black screen. I can still see hard drive activity and I can get it to work in safe mode.

Posted 03/03/2013 04:51 AM   
Dr@gon, Make a backup of your things and Format your system, then see if it works. You could also try to see if your BIOS is up do date. I was reading that EVGA have released some updates do the VGA BIOS too.
Dr@gon,
Make a backup of your things and Format your system, then see if it works. You could also try to see if your BIOS is up do date. I was reading that EVGA have released some updates do the VGA BIOS too.

XPS8300, intel I7 2600 @3.4GHz, 8GB DDR3 1333MHz,EVGA GTX660 SC

Posted 03/03/2013 04:28 PM   
I am having exactly the same issue. Gateway 4870-H, i5, 16gb, 600w, GTX660 OC, I'm about ready to dump the card. NYOD :-)
I am having exactly the same issue. Gateway 4870-H, i5, 16gb, 600w, GTX660 OC,

I'm about ready to dump the card.

NYOD
:-)

Posted 07/12/2013 08:59 PM   
To update this: My issue came down to being hardware as far as I know. The card would work fine in Safe Mode with no drivers but whether in Safe Mode or normal operation I couldn't install drivers and it would bork the system every time it got half way through the driver install process. I was left with a black screen on restart and it acted like a driver was never installed when I went back into Safe Mode. I tested a cheap EVGA GeForce 210 PCIe card in the system and the driver install went fine. After that I talked to EVGA support and I RAMed the card and then also upgraded to a slightly better GTX660Ti and I haven't had any issues since then. Upon installing the new card the driver installed the first time without any issues right off the bat.
To update this: My issue came down to being hardware as far as I know. The card would work fine in Safe Mode with no drivers but whether in Safe Mode or normal operation I couldn't install drivers and it would bork the system every time it got half way through the driver install process. I was left with a black screen on restart and it acted like a driver was never installed when I went back into Safe Mode.

I tested a cheap EVGA GeForce 210 PCIe card in the system and the driver install went fine. After that I talked to EVGA support and I RAMed the card and then also upgraded to a slightly better GTX660Ti and I haven't had any issues since then. Upon installing the new card the driver installed the first time without any issues right off the bat.

Posted 07/13/2013 05:04 PM   
Scroll To Top