GTX 660 Ti Problem HELP!
  1 / 3    
Hey, I bought MSI 660 Ti from local shop for $400 (I know it costs $300 but shipping + importing costs that extra $100 here so...can't do anything about it and it's not even the point now) What I noticed is that it gives me really poor performance, it's not what I expected it to be you know? I had GT 9800 until this and it worked WAY better than this one [b]in some situations[/b]. I wasn't measuring my FPS but I can tell you what, GT 9800 gave me 45+ FPS in SC2 Wings of Liberty on HIGH graphics that's for sure, I don't know what but this card gives me 36-42 FPS and doesn't go higher at no cost what so ever and also overheats like crazy I always have to keep fan speed on 50-70 to keep it under 60 grads. I even tried overclocking the thing and it just won't give me +1 fps, even more, when I try to overclock using MSI Afterburner my Video Drivers crash! I don't know if there's something wrong with Nvidia Drivers but I've tried most of them (even the on on CD which came with the card itself) and everything crashes. I play on 1680x1050 Resolution and I'll tell ya what, even if I took my old 9800 GT and put it back into my rig it'd work better. I don't want to take it back because I want to give it a chance you know? I live in Georgia (THE COUNTRY post-soviet one) and that's how stuff works here, if I take this video card back they'll just put it on the shelve somewhere for couple of weeks and then tell me that it's working O.K. no refunds because it's been 2 months since I bought it and I still have Guarantee (1 year one). The reason why I waited so much is that I honestly thought it was Drivers fault, and when updating drivers I never saw any significant updates to 660 cards at all... Any help would be appreciated, I can take the card back but I want to avoid that if it's at all possible. My Specs are: [list] [.]PSU: 750W OCZ[/.] [.]GPU: MSI 660 Ti PE[/.] [.]CPU: i3 2100 3.1 Ghz Sandy Bridge[/.] [.]RAM: 1333Hz 8 GB[/.] [.]Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit[/.] [.]Motherboard: ASUS P8P67-M[/.] [/list] P.S. just a rant about this video card don't mind this: WHY CAN'T I INSTALL 2 VGA MONITORS ON IT!?! :( 2 HDMI ports 1 DVI => HDMI and 1 DVI => VGA ... come on I don't have HDMI Monitors ;( I have 2 VGA ones... thank you for your time, I'll appreciate if you'd be able to help me somehow, thank you again and have a good day.
Hey, I bought MSI 660 Ti from local shop for $400

(I know it costs $300 but shipping + importing costs that extra $100 here so...can't do anything about it and it's not even the point now)

What I noticed is that it gives me really poor performance, it's not what I expected it to be you know?
I had GT 9800 until this and it worked WAY better than this one in some situations.
I wasn't measuring my FPS but I can tell you what, GT 9800 gave me 45+ FPS in SC2 Wings of Liberty on HIGH graphics that's for sure, I don't know what but this card gives me 36-42 FPS and doesn't go higher at no cost what so ever and also overheats like crazy I always have to keep fan speed on 50-70 to keep it under 60 grads.

I even tried overclocking the thing and it just won't give me +1 fps, even more, when I try to overclock using MSI Afterburner my Video Drivers crash! I don't know if there's something wrong with Nvidia Drivers but I've tried most of them (even the on on CD which came with the card itself) and everything crashes.
I play on 1680x1050 Resolution and I'll tell ya what, even if I took my old 9800 GT and put it back into my rig it'd work better.
I don't want to take it back because I want to give it a chance you know? I live in Georgia (THE COUNTRY post-soviet one) and that's how stuff works here, if I take this video card back they'll just put it on the shelve somewhere for couple of weeks and then tell me that it's working O.K.
no refunds because it's been 2 months since I bought it and I still have Guarantee (1 year one).
The reason why I waited so much is that I honestly thought it was Drivers fault, and when updating drivers I never saw any significant updates to 660 cards at all...

Any help would be appreciated, I can take the card back but I want to avoid that if it's at all possible.

My Specs are:

• PSU: 750W OCZ
  • GPU: MSI 660 Ti PE
  • CPU: i3 2100 3.1 Ghz Sandy Bridge
  • RAM: 1333Hz 8 GB
  • Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit
  • Motherboard: ASUS P8P67-M

P.S.

just a rant about this video card don't mind this: WHY CAN'T I INSTALL 2 VGA MONITORS ON IT!?! :( 2 HDMI ports 1 DVI => HDMI and 1 DVI => VGA ... come on I don't have HDMI Monitors ;( I have 2 VGA ones...

thank you for your time, I'll appreciate if you'd be able to help me somehow, thank you again and have a good day.

Posted 02/18/2013 10:03 PM   
Don't feel bad - I paid $380 each for my pair here Stateside. I run my SB-E at its stock frequencies - about half a GHz higher - at 1920*1080 and have no problems with a pair of them and Wings of Liberty, so I would certainly believe your system capable. Have you tried the Optimize Settings page on GeForce main site (Tab at top of page) yet? You won't find the 660 TI listed, but you can use the GTX 580 as a reference. And try setting the power profile to "Prefer maximum performance" in the NVIDIA Control Panel (or NVIDIA Inspector Tool). Latest WHQL is 314.07, just released this morning. You could try that as well. Let's see what happens from there...
Don't feel bad - I paid $380 each for my pair here Stateside.

I run my SB-E at its stock frequencies - about half a GHz higher - at 1920*1080 and have no problems with a pair of them and Wings of Liberty, so I would certainly believe your system capable. Have you tried the Optimize Settings page on GeForce main site (Tab at top of page) yet? You won't find the 660 TI listed, but you can use the GTX 580 as a reference. And try setting the power profile to "Prefer maximum performance" in the NVIDIA Control Panel (or NVIDIA Inspector Tool).

Latest WHQL is 314.07, just released this morning. You could try that as well.

Let's see what happens from there...

Intel Siler DX79SI Desktop Extreme | Intel Core i7-3820 Sandy Bridge-Extreme | DangerDen M6 and Koolance MVR-40s w/Black Ice Stealths | 32 GB Mushkin PC3-12800LV | NVIDIA GTX 660 Ti SLI | PNY GTX 470 | 24 GB RAMDisk (C:\Temp\Temp) | 120 GB Intel Cherryville SSDs (OS and UserData)| 530 GB Western Digital VelociRaptor SATA 2 RAID0 (C:\Games\) | 60 GB G2 SSDs (XP Pro and Linux) | 3 TB Western Digital USB-3 MyBook (Archive) | LG BP40NS20 USB ODD | LG IPS236 Monitor | LogiTech X-530 Speakers | Plantronics GameCom 780 Headphones | Cooler Master UCP 1100 | Cooler Master HAF XB | Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1

Stock is Extreme now

Posted 02/18/2013 10:35 PM   
[quote="jaafaman"]Don't feel bad - I paid $380 each for my pair here Stateside. I run my SB-E at its stock frequencies - about half a GHz higher - at 1920*1080 and have no problems with a pair of them and Wings of Liberty, so I would certainly believe your system capable. Have you tried the Optimize Settings page on GeForce main site (Tab at top of page) yet? You won't find the 660 TI listed, but you can use the GTX 580 as a reference. And try setting the power profile to "Prefer maximum performance" in the NVIDIA Control Panel (or NVIDIA Inspector Tool). Latest WHQL is 314.07, just released this morning. You could try that as well. Let's see what happens from there...[/quote] I'm using Nvidia Experience and it gives me some optimal settings for SC2 (the only difference is I just use borderless window mode) the fact is that latest Driver (which has been just released) gave me +30 FPS out of no where...can it be possible that 660 Ti is not well supported yet because it's more or so new? but then again if it's not supported that well where did tomshardware get that benchmark for $500 computer to get 67 FPS and $1000 computer 147... judging from what I payed my PC is somewhere between $500-$1000 so it should give me like 75-80 FPS... (and we're talking about 1v1 I don't even want to try what will happen in 4v4...) here's the thing, my fans just soemtimes stop randomly and start again for no reason, any ideas about that? I heard MSI V.Cards have this ,,ability'' to turn fans opposite ways just to blow dust out when you start PC but could it be THAT in the middle of gaming and/or watching soemthing?
jaafaman said:Don't feel bad - I paid $380 each for my pair here Stateside.

I run my SB-E at its stock frequencies - about half a GHz higher - at 1920*1080 and have no problems with a pair of them and Wings of Liberty, so I would certainly believe your system capable. Have you tried the Optimize Settings page on GeForce main site (Tab at top of page) yet? You won't find the 660 TI listed, but you can use the GTX 580 as a reference. And try setting the power profile to "Prefer maximum performance" in the NVIDIA Control Panel (or NVIDIA Inspector Tool).

Latest WHQL is 314.07, just released this morning. You could try that as well.

Let's see what happens from there...

I'm using Nvidia Experience and it gives me some optimal settings for SC2 (the only difference is I just use borderless window mode)

the fact is that latest Driver (which has been just released) gave me +30 FPS out of no where...can it be possible that 660 Ti is not well supported yet because it's more or so new?
but then again if it's not supported that well where did tomshardware get that benchmark for $500 computer to get 67 FPS and $1000 computer 147...
judging from what I payed my PC is somewhere between $500-$1000 so it should give me like 75-80 FPS...
(and we're talking about 1v1 I don't even want to try what will happen in 4v4...)

here's the thing, my fans just soemtimes stop randomly and start again for no reason, any ideas about that? I heard MSI V.Cards have this ,,ability'' to turn fans opposite ways just to blow dust out when you start PC but could it be THAT in the middle of gaming and/or watching soemthing?

Posted 02/18/2013 10:45 PM   
Not sure but I believe the 9800 is DX 10 (which would use the DX 9.0c) and the 660ti is DX 11....makes a world of difference in which DX is being used and why you might not see the performance boost in FPS but more in Beauty of Picture. Never use the Latest drivers. Presently the best drivers are the 306.xx series...take that as my opinion and 20 others might not agree. But when your running the latest drivers, your bound to find something that has not been found because the QnA cannot check EVERY combination of hardware.
Not sure but I believe the 9800 is DX 10 (which would use the DX 9.0c) and the 660ti is DX 11....makes a world of difference in which DX is being used and why you might not see the performance boost in FPS but more in Beauty of Picture.

Never use the Latest drivers. Presently the best drivers are the 306.xx series...take that as my opinion and 20 others might not agree. But when your running the latest drivers, your bound to find something that has not been found because the QnA cannot check EVERY combination of hardware.

My Opinion is no more important or right than yours. But if your using the LATEST drivers, go back to the prior set.

Piss Poor tech support blame all issues on drivers and assumes that your an idiot. Find a set that you know worked and see if the problem exists still.

""Don't f with it if it ain't broken!""

Constantly updating drivers is a good way to F'up the whole system.

Posted 02/19/2013 01:52 AM   
[quote="Greybear"]Not sure but I believe the 9800 is DX 10 (which would use the DX 9.0c) and the 660ti is DX 11....makes a world of difference in which DX is being used and why you might not see the performance boost in FPS but more in Beauty of Picture. Never use the Latest drivers. Presently the best drivers are the 306.xx series...take that as my opinion and 20 others might not agree. But when your running the latest drivers, your bound to find something that has not been found because the QnA cannot check EVERY combination of hardware.[/quote] can't I operate 660 Ti on DX10? if it has support for dx11 that means it should be able to process dx10 right? then again, here is the thing, my friend has 550 Ti [which also works on dx11] and gets 60 FPS stable on ultra settings in starcraft 2 with slightly lower resolution (he has little screen) shouldn't 660 Ti be able to handle same on 1680x1050 screen ? :| (he has i3 processor like me) is it possible that my i3 is hard bottleneck for 660 ti? I don't really think so but then again I'm not really that good in CPU - GPU stuff... I'm not running dual screen setup or something (I tried but ended up with trouble of ports that 660 ti has aka 2 HDMI ports 1 HDMI to DVI port and 1 DVI to VGA port which means I have to have at least 1 HDMI monitor which I don't have)
Greybear said:Not sure but I believe the 9800 is DX 10 (which would use the DX 9.0c) and the 660ti is DX 11....makes a world of difference in which DX is being used and why you might not see the performance boost in FPS but more in Beauty of Picture.

Never use the Latest drivers. Presently the best drivers are the 306.xx series...take that as my opinion and 20 others might not agree. But when your running the latest drivers, your bound to find something that has not been found because the QnA cannot check EVERY combination of hardware.

can't I operate 660 Ti on DX10? if it has support for dx11 that means it should be able to process dx10 right?
then again, here is the thing, my friend has 550 Ti [which also works on dx11] and gets 60 FPS stable on ultra settings in starcraft 2 with slightly lower resolution (he has little screen) shouldn't 660 Ti be able to handle same on 1680x1050 screen ? :|
(he has i3 processor like me)
is it possible that my i3 is hard bottleneck for 660 ti? I don't really think so but then again I'm not really that good in CPU - GPU stuff...
I'm not running dual screen setup or something (I tried but ended up with trouble of ports that 660 ti has aka 2 HDMI ports 1 HDMI to DVI port and 1 DVI to VGA port which means I have to have at least 1 HDMI monitor which I don't have)

Posted 02/19/2013 10:12 AM   
Larger the resolution the more it taxes the card. But you cannot compare apples and oranges without the full information. Your friends system could have less running in the background, faster Ram, faster CPU, OC'ed, faster HDD, SSD.... RE-READING your original post...Did you say that the 660ti card overheats?
Larger the resolution the more it taxes the card.

But you cannot compare apples and oranges without the full information. Your friends system could have less running in the background, faster Ram, faster CPU, OC'ed, faster HDD, SSD....

RE-READING your original post...Did you say that the 660ti card overheats?

My Opinion is no more important or right than yours. But if your using the LATEST drivers, go back to the prior set.

Piss Poor tech support blame all issues on drivers and assumes that your an idiot. Find a set that you know worked and see if the problem exists still.

Posted 02/19/2013 01:24 PM   
[quote="Greybear"]Larger the resolution the more it taxes the card. But you cannot compare apples and oranges without the full information. Your friends system could have less running in the background, faster Ram, faster CPU, OC'ed, faster HDD, SSD.... RE-READING your original post...Did you say that the 660ti card overheats?[/quote] he doesn't have ssd he has same specifications as me, he runs 1333 Hz and has 4 GB in total. no overclocking involved. My card is OC'ed from factory which means I should be getting upper hand in this but he still gets better FPS in most of the games. He runs 4:3 screen 1280x1024 resolution, shouldn't 660 Ti be able to give AT LEAST same performance on 1680x1050 resolution as 550 Ti on 1280x1024 resolution? come on really...all this cards go way up on resolutions and 1680x1050 is like normal in our time, some dudes use it on 1920x1080 resolution! :| I won't say that it overheats since it doesn't reach that ,,overheating state" (when temp > 70 grads) but it goes to 60 really fast, I do have my fans always on 50-70%% to keep the thing down, the main problem I'm worried about is that now it's winter time and it's kinda cold here and it goes to 60 grads but when summer comes it'll be 20-30 (maybe more) grads out here in general and video card will certainly overheat then, what should I do about that?
Greybear said:Larger the resolution the more it taxes the card.

But you cannot compare apples and oranges without the full information. Your friends system could have less running in the background, faster Ram, faster CPU, OC'ed, faster HDD, SSD....

RE-READING your original post...Did you say that the 660ti card overheats?

he doesn't have ssd he has same specifications as me, he runs 1333 Hz and has 4 GB in total.
no overclocking involved. My card is OC'ed from factory which means I should be getting upper hand in this but he still gets better FPS in most of the games. He runs 4:3 screen 1280x1024 resolution, shouldn't 660 Ti be able to give AT LEAST same performance on 1680x1050 resolution as 550 Ti on 1280x1024 resolution?
come on really...all this cards go way up on resolutions and 1680x1050 is like normal in our time, some dudes use it on 1920x1080 resolution! :|

I won't say that it overheats since it doesn't reach that ,,overheating state" (when temp > 70 grads) but it goes to 60 really fast, I do have my fans always on 50-70%% to keep the thing down, the main problem I'm worried about is that now it's winter time and it's kinda cold here and it goes to 60 grads but when summer comes it'll be 20-30 (maybe more) grads out here in general and video card will certainly overheat then, what should I do about that?

Posted 02/19/2013 01:50 PM   
You should definitely be doing better than that. Download 3DMARK11, run the tests (approx. 20min) and drop the Link to your Results page.
You should definitely be doing better than that. Download 3DMARK11, run the tests (approx. 20min) and drop the Link to your Results page.

Posted 02/20/2013 01:28 AM   
I figured something out... here's the thing, When I'm playing SC2 I tried tweaking some graphical options and got to shaders if I put shaders on Medium I get 60-70 FPS, but Shaders ARE the graphics if I put them on low the game looks bad...I bought 660 Ti so that I could play SC2 on Ultra but it seems I can't just run the game even on High shaders (when I put shaders on ultra it's 35-42 FPS if I put it on High it's 40-50 FPS if I put it on medium it's 60-70 FPS if I put it on low it's 80-110 FPS) so 660 Ti doesn't like shaders... huh :(
I figured something out...
here's the thing, When I'm playing SC2 I tried tweaking some graphical options and got to shaders
if I put shaders on Medium I get 60-70 FPS, but Shaders ARE the graphics if I put them on low the game looks bad...I bought 660 Ti so that I could play SC2 on Ultra but it seems I can't just run the game even on High shaders (when I put shaders on ultra it's 35-42 FPS if I put it on High it's 40-50 FPS if I put it on medium it's 60-70 FPS if I put it on low it's 80-110 FPS)

so 660 Ti doesn't like shaders... huh :(

Posted 02/21/2013 09:31 AM   
BY THE WAY that's my 3DMARK score but I have basic edition so it was running on 1280x720 resolution and stuff. I have Heaven Benchmark test results too: ////HEAVEN: Settings preset: custom directx 11 quality: ultra tessellation: extreme 3d: disabled multi monitor: disabled anti aliasing: x8 Full Screen 1680x1050 (my screen runs on this resolution) and here are my ,,scores'': min FPS 7.3 max FPS 73.2 General FPS 31.2 Score 785 Platform: Windows 7 (build 7601 Service pack 1) 64 bit CPU: intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2100 CPU @ 3.1 GHz x2 <<< what does this ,,x2'' mean here? GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 660 Ti 9.18.13.1407 (2047Mb) x1 \\\\\\\\\\\ 3DMARK\\\\ ScoreP6115 with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti(1x) and Intel Core i3-2100 Processor Graphics Score 8891 Physics Score 3378 Combined Score 2878 ////////
BY THE WAY that's my 3DMARK score but I have basic edition so it was running on 1280x720 resolution and stuff.

I have Heaven Benchmark test results too:
////HEAVEN:
Settings
preset: custom
directx 11
quality: ultra
tessellation: extreme
3d: disabled
multi monitor: disabled
anti aliasing: x8
Full Screen
1680x1050 (my screen runs on this resolution)

and here are my ,,scores'':
min FPS 7.3
max FPS 73.2

General FPS 31.2

Score 785

Platform: Windows 7 (build 7601 Service pack 1) 64 bit
CPU: intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2100 CPU @ 3.1 GHz x2 <<< what does this ,,x2'' mean here?
GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 660 Ti 9.18.13.1407 (2047Mb) x1
\\\\\\\\\\\

3DMARK\\\\
ScoreP6115 with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti(1x) and Intel Core i3-2100 Processor

Graphics Score

Physics Score

Combined Score

////////

Posted 02/21/2013 10:54 AM   
Just a point of interest with me...Where is the Link to your results page I requested? Wjem you run 3fMark11 it should show you the results on a Webpage. Searching the list, The 2 top scoring i3-2100 systems with GTX 660 Ti cards are both using 2GB cards, Driver 136.23 - Windows 7 64bit with G.Skill Ram (8GB and 4GB) Their scores are: P6901 P6881 So you have room for improvement. That is interesting on the Shader. I would think that you might get a similar result at changing AA or any other setting that could tax the GPU. But I do not know, something to check? When your comparing your 660Ti to your buds 550Ti....set the resolution the Exact same as his and see how the FPS is then.
Just a point of interest with me...Where is the Link to your results page I requested? Wjem you run 3fMark11 it should show you the results on a Webpage.

Searching the list, The 2 top scoring i3-2100 systems with GTX 660 Ti cards are both using 2GB cards, Driver 136.23 - Windows 7 64bit with G.Skill Ram (8GB and 4GB)

Their scores are:
P6901
P6881

So you have room for improvement.

That is interesting on the Shader. I would think that you might get a similar result at changing AA or any other setting that could tax the GPU. But I do not know, something to check?

When your comparing your 660Ti to your buds 550Ti....set the resolution the Exact same as his and see how the FPS is then.

Posted 02/21/2013 02:24 PM   
my bad, I don't know why didn't I give you the link [url]http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/5980129[/url] here it is, it says that 68 comptuers got somewhat my score and 108 got way higher. thing that bugs me is that, how can I improve my points without changing computer components?
my bad, I don't know why didn't I give you the link http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/5980129
here it is, it says that 68 comptuers got somewhat my score and 108 got way higher.
thing that bugs me is that, how can I improve my points without changing computer components?

Posted 02/21/2013 02:41 PM   
also, my 660 Ti crashes nVidia video drivers if I try to overclock it, any ideas why should that happen?
also, my 660 Ti crashes nVidia video drivers if I try to overclock it, any ideas why should that happen?

Posted 02/21/2013 02:45 PM   
You RAM is two different sticks. REMOVE one and try it again. While you have them out, get the Part / Model information off of it. 2 Sticks of ram from varying makers might work together but can crash when stressed....this is where removing one should be SLOWER but should remove the crash if I am right. Try with the other as a single after that.
You RAM is two different sticks. REMOVE one and try it again.

While you have them out, get the Part / Model information off of it.

2 Sticks of ram from varying makers might work together but can crash when stressed....this is where removing one should be SLOWER but should remove the crash if I am right. Try with the other as a single after that.

Posted 02/22/2013 01:31 AM   
3dmark says that they are running on 667Mhz aren't they 1333 Mhz ram sticks? why are they running on 667Mhz?
3dmark says that they are running on 667Mhz aren't they 1333 Mhz ram sticks? why are they running on 667Mhz?

Posted 02/22/2013 02:55 PM   
  1 / 3    
Scroll To Top