3D Vision vs Tridef, what's your experience?
  2 / 3    
I am so trying those settings with NVision tonight!!!! sweet as, thanks DHR. i will unlock the shortcut keys as well. Since getting SLI, things are really running slick now. TriDef works perfectly for me on lots of games. Crysis 1-3, FarCry 3 Dx11, X3 Albion, dead space 3 the list goes on. I run it at 1080p 60hz Checkerboard via HDMI 1.4. Can also confirm my SLI is a bit botched.
I am so trying those settings with NVision tonight!!!! sweet as, thanks DHR. i will unlock the shortcut keys as well. Since getting SLI, things are really running slick now.

TriDef works perfectly for me on lots of games. Crysis 1-3, FarCry 3 Dx11, X3 Albion, dead space 3 the list goes on. I run it at 1080p 60hz Checkerboard via HDMI 1.4. Can also confirm my SLI is a bit botched.

65" Samsung ES8000 LED, i7-3820, Asus P9X79, GTX680 SLI, Win8 Checkerboard /Win7 Frame Sequential

Posted 02/14/2013 12:06 AM   
100% depth? You must have a great monitor not to get a decent amount of crosstalk using those settings. My buddies LG passive handles it well but my samsung doesn't so much. I prefer the 40-50% range.
100% depth? You must have a great monitor not to get a decent amount of crosstalk using those settings. My buddies LG passive handles it well but my samsung doesn't so much. I prefer the 40-50% range.

Asrock z68 extreme3 gen3, i5-2500K @ 4.2ghz, GTX 680SCx2, 8gb G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 1600, EVGA SuperNOVA 1000W 80Plus Gold PSU, Samsung 55ES7500, Asus VG248QE

Posted 02/14/2013 05:09 AM   
[quote="bogo_bogo"]I think that with Tridef you could not play 1080p@60Hz.[/quote] I use Tridef and get full 1080p 60HZ on my projector system (dual-projectors). They support more type of displays with AMD cards than Nvidia cards since AMD just gives access to it's 3D quad buffer to any developer, contrarily to Nvidia who make it harder to use. Since iZ3D went down, I don't have much choice for drivers due to the 3D display I use, it's Tridef or 2D. There's a lot of good and bad about Tridef, game support is quite good considering they have absolutely no developer partnerships and have to do their profiles after the games are released. Their drivers have lots of cool features like dominant eye aiming (keeps FPS sights and chrosshair accurate in one eye, you can aim with one eye like with real guns), auto focus (dynamic convergence and depth adjustment depending on what's displayed, really great feature for Mass Effect 1&2, i still haven't played the 3rd), they keep adding stuff to the in-game profile creation and modification tool (make your own profile easily if they don't have a profile for your game), an optional 2D + depth Z-buffer mode for slow GPUs and games with particularly problematic shaders (they call it Power 3D). The bad stuff is performance : Tridef is really heavier than any other Stereo 3D driver I've used, depending on the game, the overhead varies between 5% and 30% of the old iZ3D driver, Tridefs memory usage is significantly higher than it should be and the only Anti Aliasing you can use is post process AA (MLAA, FXAA, and such) because the framerate falls to a slide show if you ever try to enable MSAA with Tridef. I read somewhere on Tridef forums that they support crossfire but found no word on SLI. I only have one AMD card so... I haven't tried it
bogo_bogo said:I think that with Tridef you could not play 1080p@60Hz.

I use Tridef and get full 1080p 60HZ on my projector system (dual-projectors). They support more type of displays with AMD cards than Nvidia cards since AMD just gives access to it's 3D quad buffer to any developer, contrarily to Nvidia who make it harder to use.

Since iZ3D went down, I don't have much choice for drivers due to the 3D display I use, it's Tridef or 2D.
There's a lot of good and bad about Tridef, game support is quite good considering they have absolutely no developer partnerships and have to do their profiles after the games are released. Their drivers have lots of cool features like dominant eye aiming (keeps FPS sights and chrosshair accurate in one eye, you can aim with one eye like with real guns), auto focus (dynamic convergence and depth adjustment depending on what's displayed, really great feature for Mass Effect 1&2, i still haven't played the 3rd), they keep adding stuff to the in-game profile creation and modification tool (make your own profile easily if they don't have a profile for your game), an optional 2D + depth Z-buffer mode for slow GPUs and games with particularly problematic shaders (they call it Power 3D).
The bad stuff is performance : Tridef is really heavier than any other Stereo 3D driver I've used, depending on the game, the overhead varies between 5% and 30% of the old iZ3D driver, Tridefs memory usage is significantly higher than it should be and the only Anti Aliasing you can use is post process AA (MLAA, FXAA, and such) because the framerate falls to a slide show if you ever try to enable MSAA with Tridef.

I read somewhere on Tridef forums that they support crossfire but found no word on SLI. I only have one AMD card so... I haven't tried it

Posted 02/14/2013 08:03 AM   
Any good projector that works with Tridef? My H5360 is dying of dead pixel syndrome, I like the benq W1070 since it has 3d tv play support, would it work with Tridef? What projectors support Tridef properly?
Any good projector that works with Tridef? My H5360 is dying of dead pixel syndrome, I like the benq W1070 since it has 3d tv play support, would it work with Tridef? What projectors support Tridef properly?

All hail Helix, 3d god among us! You can find him at http://helixmod.blogspot.com/
You can visit my virtual reality and 3d blog site at http://www.entraeneljuego.com for the latest news and reviews (in spanish)

Posted 02/14/2013 08:50 AM   
[quote="CeeJayII"]100% depth? You must have a great monitor not to get a decent amount of crosstalk using those settings. My buddies LG passive handles it well but my samsung doesn't so much. I prefer the 40-50% range.[/quote] i play on the same, around 90-100% depth on a vg278H, which i think is still the best or joint best 3D monitor. Cross talk exists but is minimal relative to other. about tridef dominant eye aiming, is there anyway this could be added to nvidia by modders? ads is a real problem with 3D, and with any realistic depth, convergence settings usually buggers this up. would be great to have the option to have one eye looking straight down the barrel.
CeeJayII said:100% depth? You must have a great monitor not to get a decent amount of crosstalk using those settings. My buddies LG passive handles it well but my samsung doesn't so much. I prefer the 40-50% range.

i play on the same, around 90-100% depth on a vg278H, which i think is still the best or joint best 3D monitor. Cross talk exists but is minimal relative to other.

about tridef dominant eye aiming, is there anyway this could be added to nvidia by modders? ads is a real problem with 3D, and with any realistic depth, convergence settings usually buggers this up. would be great to have the option to have one eye looking straight down the barrel.

OS: Win 8 CPU: I7 930 2.8GZ Mobo: Asus P6T ix58 Ram: OCZ 12GB (6x2GB) PSU: Coolermaster Silent Pro 1000W GPU: Pny GTX 680 2GB Case: Coolermaster Cosmos RC-1000 Cooling: Hydro H100 Liqiud CPU Cooler Monitor: Asus VG278H OSHD: WD VelociRaptor 300GB

Posted 02/14/2013 09:17 AM   
[quote="CeeJayII"]100% depth? You must have a great monitor not to get a decent amount of crosstalk using those settings. My buddies LG passive handles it well but my samsung doesn't so much. I prefer the 40-50% range.[/quote] Yep! i have a 47" LG 3D Cinema....100% depth, zero crosstalk, zero ghosting, zero flickering. I found Autofocus in tridef is a negative point (but its subjective)...convergence get crazy a lot and my eyes suffer...Its the first thing i disable.
CeeJayII said:100% depth? You must have a great monitor not to get a decent amount of crosstalk using those settings. My buddies LG passive handles it well but my samsung doesn't so much. I prefer the 40-50% range.

Yep! i have a 47" LG 3D Cinema....100% depth, zero crosstalk, zero ghosting, zero flickering.

I found Autofocus in tridef is a negative point (but its subjective)...convergence get crazy a lot and my eyes suffer...Its the first thing i disable.
Posted 02/14/2013 11:36 AM   
Delete. This forum post double.
Delete.
This forum post double.
Posted 02/14/2013 11:36 AM   
Tridef is piece of crap in my honest opinion. It's a blasfemy to compared Tridef to Nvidia's 3D Vision which is far beyond perfection, but much better, reliable and more matured software than Tridef. Tridef can't do FULL HD 3D for Nvidia cards, only AMD. You can't have full resolution per eye, only half, since you play in Checkerboard or SBS mode. Just pointing that out is already something to consider 3D vision a much better software in terms of 3D quality. You can't compare the 3D quality between Frame sequential mode vs side-by-side or CB modes, you just can't. The quality difference is huge and you can easily tell it with your eyes. When you play games in CB or SBS mode, I can see depth and have a 3D feeling, but the resolution doesn't enhance, you don't feel the eye candy like when viewing 3D in Full resolution per eye. When you play games in FS 1080p120hz, you feel like you playing games in 3840x1080p. I don't get this feeling playing games in Checkerboard or SBS mode. I've tried Tridef and really didn't like it. The 3D looks fake, and I've tried the real one, not just the power 3D (fake). As DHR mentioned, the sense of depth is weired using Tridef, it doesn't look like real 3D. It's an amateur software in my opinion. 3D Vision, despite all issues and lack of support from Nvidia, it's by far still the best 3D gaming software in the market. I think most users here will agree with me in that matter. I have a Samsung monitor S27A950D monitor which came with a free Tridef license, since it was made for AMD cards and that crappy AMD/3D, not 3D Vision Ready. I've tried it for almost 2 months, and played probally 6 games and hated it. I've uninstalled Tridef and removed it from my PC. I have hacked my monitor to work properly with 3D Vision and I don't look back. Actually I was always a 3D Vision user since early 2009 when it came out. I've bought this monitor thinking to continue using 3D Vision ( I was aware it was not 3D Vision Ready, but I knew how to fix that), but I found the Tridef addition a good thing till I tried it and hated it. Just my 2 cents...
Tridef is piece of crap in my honest opinion. It's a blasfemy to compared Tridef to Nvidia's 3D Vision which is far beyond perfection, but much better, reliable and more matured software than Tridef.

Tridef can't do FULL HD 3D for Nvidia cards, only AMD. You can't have full resolution per eye, only half, since you play in Checkerboard or SBS mode. Just pointing that out is already something to consider 3D vision a much better software in terms of 3D quality.
You can't compare the 3D quality between Frame sequential mode vs side-by-side or CB modes, you just can't. The quality difference is huge and you can easily tell it with your eyes.

When you play games in CB or SBS mode, I can see depth and have a 3D feeling, but the resolution doesn't enhance, you don't feel the eye candy like when viewing 3D in Full resolution per eye. When you play games in FS 1080p120hz, you feel like you playing games in 3840x1080p. I don't get this feeling playing games in Checkerboard or SBS mode.

I've tried Tridef and really didn't like it. The 3D looks fake, and I've tried the real one, not just the power 3D (fake). As DHR mentioned, the sense of depth is weired using Tridef, it doesn't look like real 3D. It's an amateur software in my opinion.

3D Vision, despite all issues and lack of support from Nvidia, it's by far still the best 3D gaming software in the market. I think most users here will agree with me in that matter.

I have a Samsung monitor S27A950D monitor which came with a free Tridef license, since it was made for AMD cards and that crappy AMD/3D, not 3D Vision Ready. I've tried it for almost 2 months, and played probally 6 games and hated it. I've uninstalled Tridef and removed it from my PC.

I have hacked my monitor to work properly with 3D Vision and I don't look back. Actually I was always a 3D Vision user since early 2009 when it came out. I've bought this monitor thinking to continue using 3D Vision ( I was aware it was not 3D Vision Ready, but I knew how to fix that), but I found the Tridef addition a good thing till I tried it and hated it.

Just my 2 cents...

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bits - Core i7 2600K @ 4.5ghz - Asus Maximus IV Extreme Z68 - Geforce EVGA GTX 690 - 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 9-9-9-24 (2T) - Thermaltake Armor+ - SSD Intel 510 Series Sata3 256GB - HD WD Caviar Black Sata3 64mb 2TB - HD WD Caviar Black 1TB Sata3 64mb - Bose Sound System - LG H20L GGW Blu Ray/DVD/CD RW - LG GH20 DVD RAM - PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 1000W - Samsung S27A950D 3D Vision Ready + 3D HDTV SAMSUNG PL63C7000 3DTVPLAY + ROLLERMOD CHECKERBOARD

Posted 02/14/2013 02:34 PM   
you cant play in full HD with tri def? If thats true thats a massive megative there. the larger the resolution, the bigger the disparity between the pixel and correct depth, as shown in this great document here, page 42: http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/techreports/UCAM-CL-TR-546.pdf even on 1080, aliasing can hamper the 3D effect (I have 20/20 vision and sit very, probbaly too, close to my monitor and can see all those blinkin pixels) sub HD is definitly not optimal for 3D gaming. Sounds like tridef has quite a few short comings.
you cant play in full HD with tri def? If thats true thats a massive megative there. the larger the resolution, the bigger the disparity between the pixel and correct depth, as shown in this great document here, page 42:

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/techreports/UCAM-CL-TR-546.pdf

even on 1080, aliasing can hamper the 3D effect (I have 20/20 vision and sit very, probbaly too, close to my monitor and can see all those blinkin pixels) sub HD is definitly not optimal for 3D gaming. Sounds like tridef has quite a few short comings.

OS: Win 8 CPU: I7 930 2.8GZ Mobo: Asus P6T ix58 Ram: OCZ 12GB (6x2GB) PSU: Coolermaster Silent Pro 1000W GPU: Pny GTX 680 2GB Case: Coolermaster Cosmos RC-1000 Cooling: Hydro H100 Liqiud CPU Cooler Monitor: Asus VG278H OSHD: WD VelociRaptor 300GB

Posted 02/14/2013 05:53 PM   
Yes, if you a Nvidia card you can't play games using Tridef in true 3D 1080p resolution. I mean FULL HD for each eye, not half resolution like the inferior modes, SBS and Checkerboard. I've read that Tridef is able to provide full resolution per eye using frame sequential mode for those that own an AMD card. The deal is how many folks that have AMD cards that play in 3D? I think that even Tridef users, the majority of them use Nvidia cards. I am just assuming that thought.... not sure about this. Most AMD users don't care much about 3D, at least when I go to foruns and read stuff about 3D, that's the impression I get. I know that most Nvidia users also don't, but cause Nvidia's 3D Vision is a much more matured product that appeared in early 2009, most Nvidia card owners are more aware about 3D than AMD users. AMD is doing a terrific job for 3D (sarcasm). You can see what happened with their last "Game Evolved" game that came out, Farcry3 without any support for 3D, not even AMD3D users. This only shows that AMD doesn't give a flying crap about their AMD/3D software that relies on 3rd party softwares. The funny deal is that Nvidia users that have 3D Vision can play the game using Helix fix in proper 3D. Anyway, sorry for changing subject....
Yes, if you a Nvidia card you can't play games using Tridef in true 3D 1080p resolution. I mean FULL HD for each eye, not half resolution like the inferior modes, SBS and Checkerboard.
I've read that Tridef is able to provide full resolution per eye using frame sequential mode for those that own an AMD card.

The deal is how many folks that have AMD cards that play in 3D? I think that even Tridef users, the majority of them use Nvidia cards. I am just assuming that thought.... not sure about this.
Most AMD users don't care much about 3D, at least when I go to foruns and read stuff about 3D, that's the impression I get. I know that most Nvidia users also don't, but cause Nvidia's 3D Vision is a much more matured product that appeared in early 2009, most Nvidia card owners are more aware about 3D than AMD users.

AMD is doing a terrific job for 3D (sarcasm). You can see what happened with their last "Game Evolved" game that came out, Farcry3 without any support for 3D, not even AMD3D users. This only shows that AMD doesn't give a flying crap about their AMD/3D software that relies on 3rd party softwares. The funny deal is that Nvidia users that have 3D Vision can play the game using Helix fix in proper 3D.
Anyway, sorry for changing subject....

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bits - Core i7 2600K @ 4.5ghz - Asus Maximus IV Extreme Z68 - Geforce EVGA GTX 690 - 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 9-9-9-24 (2T) - Thermaltake Armor+ - SSD Intel 510 Series Sata3 256GB - HD WD Caviar Black Sata3 64mb 2TB - HD WD Caviar Black 1TB Sata3 64mb - Bose Sound System - LG H20L GGW Blu Ray/DVD/CD RW - LG GH20 DVD RAM - PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 1000W - Samsung S27A950D 3D Vision Ready + 3D HDTV SAMSUNG PL63C7000 3DTVPLAY + ROLLERMOD CHECKERBOARD

Posted 02/14/2013 07:43 PM   
Francomg, do you still have the rollermod file. I've been looking for it but it is nowhere to be found. Could you PM me?
Francomg, do you still have the rollermod file. I've been looking for it but it is nowhere to be found. Could you PM me?

Asrock z68 extreme3 gen3, i5-2500K @ 4.2ghz, GTX 680SCx2, 8gb G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 1600, EVGA SuperNOVA 1000W 80Plus Gold PSU, Samsung 55ES7500, Asus VG248QE

Posted 02/14/2013 07:59 PM   
[quote="birthright"] Any good projector that works with Tridef? My H5360 is dying of dead pixel syndrome, I like the benq W1070 since it has 3d tv play support, would it work with Tridef? What projectors support Tridef properly? [/quote] Well if you have a Radeon GPU that 6XXX series and above, you can use any HDMI 1.3 or HDMI 1.4 Projector. Frame sequential is supported at 1280x800, 1280x720, 1280x768, 1366x768 120Hz.
birthright said: Any good projector that works with Tridef? My H5360 is dying of dead pixel syndrome, I like the benq W1070 since it has 3d tv play support, would it work with Tridef? What projectors support Tridef properly?

Well if you have a Radeon GPU that 6XXX series and above, you can use any HDMI 1.3 or HDMI 1.4 Projector. Frame sequential is supported at 1280x800, 1280x720, 1280x768, 1366x768 120Hz.

Posted 02/14/2013 08:50 PM   
[quote="foreverseeking"]you cant play in full HD with tri def? If thats true thats a massive megative there.[/quote] You can play in full HD with Tridef on any card, the problem is you can't display it on 120Hz frame sequential displays since Nvidia doesn't allow Tridef to output to it's quad buffer, which is required to maintain a stable frame sequential output. iZ3D tried for years to emulate a frame sequential mode in software. They could display the picture but they couldn't maintain a stable 120Hz flipping because as soon as there was any computer slow down, the sync would break, and the left and right eye views would be reversed. (the framerate had to be rock solid 60fps, any loading time or micro-stutter would break it). When AMD released their driver update supporting HD3D (AMD's name for the quad buffer), both iZ3D and Tridef magically supported these displays on AMD cards within a few weeks. I don't know how long it will take for Nvidia to finally start allowing Tridef to access 3D Vision displays. It might be a really long time due to the obvious conflict of interest with the proprietary 3D vision system. [quote="francomg"]Tridef is piece of crap in my honest opinion. It's a blasfemy to compared Tridef to Nvidia's 3D Vision which is far beyond perfection, but much better, reliable and more matured software than Tridef. [/quote] I learned the hard way to be extremely respectful of any stereoscopic 3D driver available when Nvidia released the 8800GTX without stereo 3D driver and went into a 2-year stereo 3D blackout, only to come back throwing away all support for any 3D display that people had at that time. As good as 3D Vision is today, what happened once, might happen again. So I'd be happier if Tridef could work properly with Nvidia graphics cards. I have to buy AMD GPUs because of Nvidia's stubbornness with exclusivity. Nvidia has been really quiet about 3D Vision these last few month haven't they ?
foreverseeking said:you cant play in full HD with tri def? If thats true thats a massive megative there.

You can play in full HD with Tridef on any card, the problem is you can't display it on 120Hz frame sequential displays since Nvidia doesn't allow Tridef to output to it's quad buffer, which is required to maintain a stable frame sequential output.

iZ3D tried for years to emulate a frame sequential mode in software. They could display the picture but they couldn't maintain a stable 120Hz flipping because as soon as there was any computer slow down, the sync would break, and the left and right eye views would be reversed. (the framerate had to be rock solid 60fps, any loading time or micro-stutter would break it).

When AMD released their driver update supporting HD3D (AMD's name for the quad buffer), both iZ3D and Tridef magically supported these displays on AMD cards within a few weeks.

I don't know how long it will take for Nvidia to finally start allowing Tridef to access 3D Vision displays. It might be a really long time due to the obvious conflict of interest with the proprietary 3D vision system.

francomg said:Tridef is piece of crap in my honest opinion. It's a blasfemy to compared Tridef to Nvidia's 3D Vision which is far beyond perfection, but much better, reliable and more matured software than Tridef.

I learned the hard way to be extremely respectful of any stereoscopic 3D driver available when Nvidia released the 8800GTX without stereo 3D driver and went into a 2-year stereo 3D blackout, only to come back throwing away all support for any 3D display that people had at that time. As good as 3D Vision is today, what happened once, might happen again. So I'd be happier if Tridef could work properly with Nvidia graphics cards. I have to buy AMD GPUs because of Nvidia's stubbornness with exclusivity.

Nvidia has been really quiet about 3D Vision these last few month haven't they ?

Posted 02/14/2013 09:54 PM   
i hear that Blackshark, even better then either would be a universal standard. after all, 3D is 3D... hopefully at some point all games just integrate it and we don't need anything but a 3D display!
i hear that Blackshark, even better then either would be a universal standard. after all, 3D is 3D... hopefully at some point all games just integrate it and we don't need anything but a 3D display!

Posted 02/14/2013 10:21 PM   
The order i search for 3D game profiles is; Nvision Helix TriDef The full 120hz is a non-issue for me as i dont have a 3d monitor Nvision - apples for apples is way better than TriDef TriDef support way more games than Nvision
The order i search for 3D game profiles is;
Nvision
Helix
TriDef

The full 120hz is a non-issue for me as i dont have a 3d monitor
Nvision - apples for apples is way better than TriDef
TriDef support way more games than Nvision

65" Samsung ES8000 LED, i7-3820, Asus P9X79, GTX680 SLI, Win8 Checkerboard /Win7 Frame Sequential

Posted 02/14/2013 10:53 PM   
  2 / 3    
Scroll To Top