Windows 8 and Nvidia Graphics Driver 310.90
So I've just installed Windows 8....... (upgrading if that's what it can be called from Windows 7) My Asus Laptop has a Geoforce 310m Cuda 1gb stand alone graphics card. Now that I've installed 8 I can't find any Nvidia software and my games are super laggy. Im assuming windows is using the intel graphics on the computer I've been onto the Nvidia site and downloaded the driver but it wont install with the following error "The graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware. Been mucking around trouble shooting for hours with no luck.. Any hep appreciated.
So I've just installed Windows 8....... (upgrading if that's what it can be called from Windows 7)

My Asus Laptop has a Geoforce 310m Cuda 1gb stand alone graphics card.

Now that I've installed 8 I can't find any Nvidia software and my games are super laggy. Im assuming windows is using the intel graphics on the computer

I've been onto the Nvidia site and downloaded the driver but it wont install with the following error "The graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware.

Been mucking around trouble shooting for hours with no luck.. Any hep appreciated.

Posted 02/01/2013 11:58 AM   
Hi People, I have exactly the same problem on my computer, please help us!!! My Computer is Samsung R530 With Windows 8 Pro.
Hi People,
I have exactly the same problem on my computer, please help us!!!
My Computer is Samsung R530 With Windows 8 Pro.

Posted 02/04/2013 05:51 AM   
I have an ASUS U45JC (which has the GeForce 310M) and I have encountered a similar problem after installing Windows 8 Enterprise on my laptop. As soon as I install updates through windows update and restart my computer, I get the normal blue windows icon. Then my screen turns black and becomes unresponsive. I have to then force shut down and restart the computer, however, it will not show anything. The problem is with the newest 310.90 driver. PLEASE, push out a fix for this as soon as possible!
I have an ASUS U45JC (which has the GeForce 310M) and I have encountered a similar problem after installing Windows 8 Enterprise on my laptop. As soon as I install updates through windows update and restart my computer, I get the normal blue windows icon. Then my screen turns black and becomes unresponsive. I have to then force shut down and restart the computer, however, it will not show anything.

The problem is with the newest 310.90 driver.

PLEASE, push out a fix for this as soon as possible!

Posted 02/07/2013 01:59 AM   
My hp envy dv6 Laptop has a Geoforce 330m Cuda 2gb graphics card. I can't find any Nvidia software and my games are super laggy. Im assuming windows is using the intel graphics on the computer I've been onto the Nvidia site and downloaded the driver but it wont install with the following error "The graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware. can you help plz
My hp envy dv6 Laptop has a Geoforce 330m Cuda 2gb graphics card.

I can't find any Nvidia software and my games are super laggy. Im assuming windows is using the intel graphics on the computer

I've been onto the Nvidia site and downloaded the driver but it wont install with the following error "The graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware.

can you help plz

Posted 02/08/2013 08:28 AM   
Hello everyone, I just went through the hoops to solve this problem on my Asus U30JC Laptop with Nvidia GeForce 310M card. After upgrading to windows 8 from 7, the card was no longer recognized. After trying all sorts of suggestions (including updating the chipset driver) from both Asus and Nvidia tech support, I was informed that I might update the bios of my motherboard. If the bios is not compatible with windows 8, then the communication with the graphics card may also not work. Well, it worked. I went to the asus support website, typed in my computer number and then went to download, then bios, and downloaded the latest bios. Then I went to bios utility just below bios and downloaded a utility to install the bios. The first utility wasn't compatible with windows 8 but the older version, second one down, was compatible. After running it, and selecting the bios which I had unzipped to my desktop, I upgraded the bios, restarted and the graphics card appeared. I was then able to install the latest Nvidia driver. Just be warned that messing with BIOS can be dangerous. No guts no glory!!!! Good luck.
Hello everyone, I just went through the hoops to solve this problem on my Asus U30JC Laptop with Nvidia GeForce 310M card. After upgrading to windows 8 from 7, the card was no longer recognized. After trying all sorts of suggestions (including updating the chipset driver) from both Asus and Nvidia tech support, I was informed that I might update the bios of my motherboard. If the bios is not compatible with windows 8, then the communication with the graphics card may also not work. Well, it worked. I went to the asus support website, typed in my computer number and then went to download, then bios, and downloaded the latest bios. Then I went to bios utility just below bios and downloaded a utility to install the bios. The first utility wasn't compatible with windows 8 but the older version, second one down, was compatible. After running it, and selecting the bios which I had unzipped to my desktop, I upgraded the bios, restarted and the graphics card appeared. I was then able to install the latest Nvidia driver. Just be warned that messing with BIOS can be dangerous. No guts no glory!!!! Good luck.

Posted 02/11/2013 06:40 PM   
I did a clean install of W8Pro & the default NVIDIA (for 285card) driver worked... but sometimes the screen went black for a split second using some programs like IE10... then went here to get latest driver thinking this would resolve the "black flashes" that would happen sometimes... installed... and then got the black screen of death at boot... had to do complete reinstall of W-ape... Yeah, totally certified drivers should be ok... not NVIDIA. Asus P43... 9450Quad ICH10 Nvidia 285 Is there any updates working beyond the W8 pre-installed "black flash" default driver?
I did a clean install of W8Pro & the default NVIDIA (for 285card) driver worked... but sometimes the screen went black for a split second using some programs like IE10... then went here to get latest driver thinking this would resolve the "black flashes" that would happen sometimes... installed... and then got the black screen of death at boot... had to do complete reinstall of W-ape...

Yeah, totally certified drivers should be ok... not NVIDIA.

Asus P43... 9450Quad ICH10 Nvidia 285

Is there any updates working beyond the W8 pre-installed "black flash" default driver?

Posted 02/13/2013 01:01 AM   
UPDATE w/solution that worked for me... The FIX described below works!!! CHEERS! ...follow exactly below... it worked for updating my 285 card, which (before doing this) blew out my W8pro install IF I did NOT do the following... Do this & it might work for you too... (My system... Asus P43 ICH10 9450quadcpu Intel, 285 Graphics) [quote="Raptor2099"]HAHA I did it. Found a PERFECTLY working solution. Thanks to the Josh for confirming that the embedded windows drivers were the cause of this problem. Here's what to do. Gotta do it EXACTLY as shown bvelow though. [shortcut keys in brackets] 1. In Control Panel, goto System [WIN+X -> Y] 2. Click "Advanced system settings" 3. Click "Hardware" Tab then "Device Installation Settings" 4. Select "No Let me choose what to do" and "Never install driver software from Windows Update" (Optional) Uncheck "Automatically get the device app and info provided by your device manufacturer" 5. Now uninstall the nVidia drivers like normal and reboot [WIN+X -> F] 6. After reboot you'll see everything is in low resolution. The driver may still install but it doesn't install all the way like it used to before. 7. Goto Device Manager [WIN+X -> M] 8. Find your videocard under Display Device, right-click and Uninstall the videocard 9. Reboot Again 10. Go back to Device Manager [WIN+X -> M] click the last button on the top right "Scan for Hardware Changes" (Windows will now install a generic WDDM driver {not nVidia drivers YAY}) 11. Install your driver of choice. That's it ! Yes I know that is long winded but it works. I've used the 310.90 WHQL drivers AND the 313.96 BETA drivers and both work this way. I'm currently using the 313.96 BETA drivers. If you have any questions feel free to ask right here in the thread or via PM.[/quote]
UPDATE w/solution that worked for me...

The FIX described below works!!! CHEERS! ...follow exactly below... it worked for updating my 285 card, which (before doing this) blew out my W8pro install IF I did NOT do the following...

Do this & it might work for you too... (My system... Asus P43 ICH10 9450quadcpu Intel, 285 Graphics)

Raptor2099 said:HAHA I did it. Found a PERFECTLY working solution. Thanks to the Josh for confirming that the embedded windows drivers were the cause of this problem. Here's what to do. Gotta do it EXACTLY as shown bvelow though. [shortcut keys in brackets]
1. In Control Panel, goto System [WIN+X -> Y]
2. Click "Advanced system settings"
3. Click "Hardware" Tab then "Device Installation Settings"
4. Select "No Let me choose what to do" and "Never install driver software from Windows Update"
(Optional) Uncheck "Automatically get the device app and info provided by your device manufacturer"
5. Now uninstall the nVidia drivers like normal and reboot [WIN+X -> F]
6. After reboot you'll see everything is in low resolution. The driver may still install but it doesn't install all the way like it used to before.
7. Goto Device Manager [WIN+X -> M]
8. Find your videocard under Display Device, right-click and Uninstall the videocard
9. Reboot Again
10. Go back to Device Manager [WIN+X -> M] click the last button on the top right "Scan for Hardware Changes"
(Windows will now install a generic WDDM driver {not nVidia drivers YAY})
11. Install your driver of choice.

That's it ! Yes I know that is long winded but it works. I've used the 310.90 WHQL drivers AND the 313.96 BETA drivers and both work this way. I'm currently using the 313.96 BETA drivers. If you have any questions feel free to ask right here in the thread or via PM.

Posted 02/13/2013 01:51 AM   
Hello, I have also had severe problems with Nvidia drivers 310.90 and 313.96 in Windows 8 Pro. The motherboard is ASRock Z77 WS and display adapter is EVGA GeForce GTX680. The display update is supperlaggy with lots of DPC Latency spikes about once in every 5 seconds. Each time the display goes off and user re-enters Windows to get display on to unlock the workstation, the nvidia kernel mode driver is restarted by windows. It may restart it several times over. After restart the graphics are not refreshed correctly. Mouse pointer graphics are incorrect. The mouse dissapears. I can only guess where the mouse is based upon hoovering activation of underlying graphics. You know what! The only thing that worked was to uninstall Nvidia Driver package all together. Then I can use desktiop, but no Cuda no advanced 3D gaming then whatsoever. Let's hope videodudes trick works. If it does, then Nvidia should anyway work with Microsoft to get a foolproof installation procedure that does not end up in a terrible user experience as this! With the experience of the past week, any average Joe would have gotten a Mac or Linux instead of this Windows 8 + Nvidia mess. There is only so much you can do. I really hope Nvidia would step up with driver installation procedure quality assurance using their own headcount - there is a limit to what the community can do.
Hello,

I have also had severe problems with Nvidia drivers 310.90 and 313.96 in Windows 8 Pro. The motherboard is ASRock Z77 WS and display adapter is EVGA GeForce GTX680. The display update is supperlaggy with lots of DPC Latency spikes about once in every 5 seconds. Each time the display goes off and user re-enters Windows to get display on to unlock the workstation, the nvidia kernel mode driver is restarted by windows. It may restart it several times over. After restart the graphics are not refreshed correctly. Mouse pointer graphics are incorrect. The mouse dissapears. I can only guess where the mouse is based upon hoovering activation of underlying graphics.

You know what! The only thing that worked was to uninstall Nvidia Driver package all together. Then I can use desktiop, but no Cuda no advanced 3D gaming then whatsoever. Let's hope videodudes trick works. If it does, then Nvidia should anyway work with Microsoft to get a foolproof installation procedure that does not end up in a terrible user experience as this!

With the experience of the past week, any average Joe would have gotten a Mac or Linux instead of this Windows 8 + Nvidia mess. There is only so much you can do. I really hope Nvidia would step up with driver installation procedure quality assurance using their own headcount - there is a limit to what the community can do.

ASRock Z77 WS, i7-3770K, EVGA GeForce GTX680, 2x8GB Corsair Venegance, WD 2.5" 750GB HD, Windows 8 Pro, Samsung Syncmaster 226BW, Logitech G11, Logitech MX Revolution

Posted 02/18/2013 08:39 PM   
Now they admit the thing in the new 314.07 driver release notes: http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/314.07/314.07-win8-win7-winvista-desktop-release-notes.pdf Flickering Black Screen Occurs After Installing the NVIDIA Drivers on Windows 8 Issue After installing the NVIDIA drivers on Windows 8, the subsequent reboot results in a black or flickering screen. Root Cause This occurs because Windows Update performed a background installation of a Release 304 driver, which requires a reboot to complete the installation. After installing the Release 313 driver and then rebooting the system, installation of both the Release 304 as well as the Release 313 is completed, resulting in conflicting driver binaries and the black/flickering screen. Workaround - Prevention To avoid the issue, reboot the system before installing the Release 313 driver. Alternately, you can check the driver status under the Device Manager and perform the reboot if the Device Manager indicates that a restart is needed. Then install the driver. Workaround - Recovery If you did not perform the necessary reboot prior to installing the driver and now encounter the black screen, do the following: 1Reboot in Safe Mode. 2Uninstall the driver. 3Disconnect from the internet and then restart the system. 4In normal mode, install the new driver.
Now they admit the thing in the new 314.07 driver release notes:

http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/314.07/314.07-win8-win7-winvista-desktop-release-notes.pdf

Flickering Black Screen Occurs After Installing the NVIDIA Drivers on Windows 8
Issue
After installing the NVIDIA drivers on Windows 8, the subsequent reboot results in a black or flickering screen.
Root Cause
This occurs because Windows Update performed a background installation of a Release 304 driver, which requires a reboot to complete the installation. After installing the Release 313 driver and then rebooting the system, installation of both the Release 304 as well as the Release 313 is completed, resulting in conflicting driver binaries and the black/flickering screen.
Workaround - Prevention
To avoid the issue, reboot the system before installing the Release 313 driver.
Alternately, you can check the driver status under the Device Manager and perform the reboot if the Device Manager indicates that a restart is needed. Then install the driver.
Workaround - Recovery
If you did not perform the necessary reboot prior to installing the driver and now encounter the black screen, do the following:
1Reboot in Safe Mode.
2Uninstall the driver.
3Disconnect from the internet and then restart the system.
4In normal mode, install the new driver.

ASRock Z77 WS, i7-3770K, EVGA GeForce GTX680, 2x8GB Corsair Venegance, WD 2.5" 750GB HD, Windows 8 Pro, Samsung Syncmaster 226BW, Logitech G11, Logitech MX Revolution

Posted 02/18/2013 09:00 PM   
[b]i think the new driver doesn't support 3xx on windows 8. well, i have no choice but to change my OS in windows 7 super duper ultimate again, or just fix this so i can use windows 8 again :) [/b]
i think the new driver doesn't support 3xx on windows 8. well, i have no choice but to change my OS in windows 7 super duper ultimate again, or just fix this so i can use windows 8 again :)

Posted 06/28/2013 03:37 PM   
Scroll To Top