Lenovo Y500 - GT650m SLI - strange problems with bootup and dual monitor
Hi all, having two (probably unrelated) issues with this brand new Ideapad Y500. System: win7 64 bit. Using latest 310.90 driver pack. Issue no 1: after a Restart or a Cold boot, any random (?) time the second vga in Ultrabay does not show up. It is possibly not the same issue (error 43 - "as if the drivers are not installed" reported w. the "original" 310.90. The second card just plainly disappears from the Hardware Manager, and no syscheck software detects it. Nvidia control panel does not show "SLI and Physix" settings, just "Physix". After a reboot (cold or not, still experimenting) it is there again and kicks major ass. Could this still be the same, or a new, driver issue? Is it reported by other users? Any possible solution? Issue no 2: hooking up the notebook on a full HD LG plasma via HDMI, 3 modes out of 4 work properly (just Notebook, just Plasma, Clone). However Extend is corrupt, either the plasma is showing picture and the notebook screen is flickering an alternating desktop-black-desktop-black, either there is picture on the laptop but "no signal" on plasma. Could this be hardware limitation, or maybe driver issue? Thank you in advance, Peter
Hi all,
having two (probably unrelated) issues with this brand new Ideapad Y500.

System: win7 64 bit.
Using latest 310.90 driver pack.

Issue no 1: after a Restart or a Cold boot, any random (?) time the second vga in Ultrabay does not show up. It is possibly not the same issue (error 43 - "as if the drivers are not installed" reported w. the "original" 310.90. The second card just plainly disappears from the Hardware Manager, and no syscheck software detects it. Nvidia control panel does not show "SLI and Physix" settings, just "Physix". After a reboot (cold or not, still experimenting) it is there again and kicks major ass. Could this still be the same, or a new, driver issue? Is it reported by other users? Any possible solution?

Issue no 2: hooking up the notebook on a full HD LG plasma via HDMI, 3 modes out of 4 work properly (just Notebook, just Plasma, Clone). However Extend is corrupt, either the plasma is showing picture and the notebook screen is flickering an alternating desktop-black-desktop-black, either there is picture on the laptop but "no signal" on plasma. Could this be hardware limitation, or maybe driver issue?

Thank you in advance,
Peter

Posted 01/28/2013 11:33 AM   
Hello Peter, I have the same laptop with the same configuration - 2xGT650 in SLI mode. Unfortunatelly i have the same issue. However what i found is that it is not random at all. I noticed that the second GT650 in ultrabay disappears when you restart the system from windows meaning selecting the restart option from the start menu. When i do a shut down and the power the laptop on from the power button it the second GT650 is always there. Honestly i believe this is a bios bug, not driver bug as the system works perfectly, apart from that annoying bug. what i plan to do is get in touch with the ocal Lenovo service representative and ask for a fix. If it gets fixed i will update you how was it done. Regards, Kalin
Hello Peter,

I have the same laptop with the same configuration - 2xGT650 in SLI mode. Unfortunatelly i have the same issue. However what i found is that it is not random at all. I noticed that the second GT650 in ultrabay disappears when you restart the system from windows meaning selecting the restart option from the start menu. When i do a shut down and the power the laptop on from the power button it the second GT650 is always there. Honestly i believe this is a bios bug, not driver bug as the system works perfectly, apart from that annoying bug.

what i plan to do is get in touch with the ocal Lenovo service representative and ask for a fix. If it gets fixed i will update you how was it done.

Regards,

Kalin

Posted 02/13/2013 10:04 AM   
Hey Guys, I've got the exact same issue with my Y500 running linux. From what I've seen, Kalin is spot on -- performing a restart via the OS will result in the ultrabay GT650 not appearing on the pci bus, complete shutdown/cold boot result in it being recognized without a hitch. I've also noticed that if you are not plugged in to AC power the second graphics card will not be detected regardless of shutdown and cold boot -- I wonder if the restart bug is related to this 'feature'. I was tearing my hair out trying to figure it out when I noticed that sometimes the card was showing up and sometimes not. I tried using several different kernel versions all to no avail ( a coincidence in this regard sent me down the wrong troubleshooting path ) only to stumble upon this odd restart and shutdown behavior. Clearly seems to be a bios issue, hopefully Lenovo can get this fixed easily because I L-O-V-E this laptop otherwise. I'm going to open a support ticket with Lenovo to see if we can spur some action on this. Cheers, Jason
Hey Guys,

I've got the exact same issue with my Y500 running linux. From what I've seen, Kalin is spot on -- performing a restart via the OS will result in the ultrabay GT650 not appearing on the pci bus, complete shutdown/cold boot result in it being recognized without a hitch. I've also noticed that if you are not plugged in to AC power the second graphics card will not be detected regardless of shutdown and cold boot -- I wonder if the restart bug is related to this 'feature'.

I was tearing my hair out trying to figure it out when I noticed that sometimes the card was showing up and sometimes not. I tried using several different kernel versions all to no avail ( a coincidence in this regard sent me down the wrong troubleshooting path ) only to stumble upon this odd restart and shutdown behavior. Clearly seems to be a bios issue, hopefully Lenovo can get this fixed easily because I L-O-V-E this laptop otherwise. I'm going to open a support ticket with Lenovo to see if we can spur some action on this.

Cheers,

Jason

Posted 02/18/2013 02:52 PM   
Tested with latest drivers and same issues. There is a lot of people angry because of these sli problems...just see all posts created with same issue, all of them without answer. WE ARE HERE NVIDIA!!!!!!
Tested with latest drivers and same issues. There is a lot of people angry because of these sli problems...just see all posts created with same issue, all of them without answer. WE ARE HERE NVIDIA!!!!!!

Posted 06/06/2013 11:51 PM   
Same problem here, Lenovo Y500 too. Running Linux/Mint 15. This problem is independent of the kernel version (at least with 3.5 and 3.8) . Sometimes I see two pci entries, sometimes one. Here's a paste from the terminal: $ lspci | grep VGA 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK107M [GeForce GT 650M / GTX 660M LE] (rev a1) 02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK107M [GeForce GT 650M / GTX 660M LE] (rev a1) Is there a BIOS fix or any other fix?
Same problem here, Lenovo Y500 too. Running Linux/Mint 15. This problem is independent of the kernel version (at least with 3.5 and 3.8) . Sometimes I see two pci entries, sometimes one. Here's a paste from the terminal:
$ lspci | grep VGA
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK107M [GeForce GT 650M / GTX 660M LE] (rev a1)
02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK107M [GeForce GT 650M / GTX 660M LE] (rev a1)

Is there a BIOS fix or any other fix?

Posted 06/22/2013 05:42 AM   
I still can't get my Y500 to run in SLI mode... My AC Power Adapter puts out 240 watts. I know for a fact that my computer has 2 GT 650Ms. I don't really know where/how to update my drivers but I got this computer in June so it is all fairly new. I have tried completely shutting it off (not restarting through OS) and it still doesn't recognize the second graphics card in the ultrabay. All help is greatly appreciated.
I still can't get my Y500 to run in SLI mode... My AC Power Adapter puts out 240 watts. I know for a fact that my computer has 2 GT 650Ms. I don't really know where/how to update my drivers but I got this computer in June so it is all fairly new. I have tried completely shutting it off (not restarting through OS) and it still doesn't recognize the second graphics card in the ultrabay. All help is greatly appreciated.

Posted 10/08/2013 12:17 AM   
a vbios update is required to resolve this, nvidia are supposedly workign with lenovo to get one out.
a vbios update is required to resolve this, nvidia are supposedly workign with lenovo to get one out.

In Memory of Chris "ChrisRay" Arthington, 1982-2010

CPU:Intel i7 920 @ 3.8(D0), Mainboard:Asus Rampage II Gene, Memory:12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600
Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 680+ 4GB, Sound:Creative XFI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro, Monitor:BenQ G2400WD
HDD:500GB Spinpoint F3, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Red, 1TB WD Black
Case:NZXT Guardian 921RB, PSU:Corsair 620HX, OS:Windows 7 SP1

Posted 10/12/2013 08:13 AM   
Scroll To Top