Asus GT-630 2GB overclocking
  1 / 2    
Hi, i was on here in 2010 as scott28280, recently i have upgraded my rig, and i am looking for info on what i can do when it comes to overclocking my GPU. I bought an Asus nvidia GT-630 2GB card and upgraded my PSU from the 200W to a 500W, i also had issues with my old case as it was a mini system so i bought a Zalman Z11 plus gaming case and transferred my components to it, i have 4 of the 5 case fans running but they are molex connected only, obviously theres the PSU fan, GPU fan and processor fan so i have a total of 7 fan running and my pc is like an air conditioning unit, so i am not too concerned about heat in my pc lol. Basically i want to know what i can do when it comes to overclocking, i have the Asus GPU tweak tool and i want to make sure i know what i am doing before i start overclocking my GPU as i don't want to damage it or mess up my system, so any advice or help would be appreciated.
Hi, i was on here in 2010 as scott28280, recently i have upgraded my rig, and i am looking for info on what i can do when it comes to overclocking my GPU.

I bought an Asus nvidia GT-630 2GB card and upgraded my PSU from the 200W to a 500W, i also had issues with my old case as it was a mini system so i bought a Zalman Z11 plus gaming case and transferred my components to it, i have 4 of the 5 case fans running but they are molex connected only, obviously theres the PSU fan, GPU fan and processor fan so i have a total of 7 fan running and my pc is like an air conditioning unit, so i am not too concerned about heat in my pc lol.

Basically i want to know what i can do when it comes to overclocking, i have the Asus GPU tweak tool and i want to make sure i know what i am doing before i start overclocking my GPU as i don't want to damage it or mess up my system, so any advice or help would be appreciated.

Posted 01/17/2013 06:21 PM   
Hey :) The 6-series cards are good overclockers, so you should be able to have some fun with this. I have a GT630 too and it doesn't kick out much heat. You should be able to get 900MHz out of the core with no big problem. I don't know if your card is factory OC'd, so I don't know how big-a jump 900MHz will be for you. If you're willing to increase the voltage a bit (using nVidiaInspector software) you should be able to head towards 1GHz core. You might need to increase the GPU fan speed for that. The memory...... am I right ins aying it's DDR3? Try 900MHz, see if it's stable. 1GHz might be a bit of a push- I expect the default voltage is quite low and the memory density is high. You might be pleasantly surprised though :)
Hey :)

The 6-series cards are good overclockers, so you should be able to have some fun with this. I have a GT630 too and it doesn't kick out much heat.

You should be able to get 900MHz out of the core with no big problem. I don't know if your card is factory OC'd, so I don't know how big-a jump 900MHz will be for you. If you're willing to increase the voltage a bit (using nVidiaInspector software) you should be able to head towards 1GHz core. You might need to increase the GPU fan speed for that.

The memory...... am I right ins aying it's DDR3? Try 900MHz, see if it's stable. 1GHz might be a bit of a push- I expect the default voltage is quite low and the memory density is high. You might be pleasantly surprised though :)

I'm a competitive extreme overclocker. I OC for the sport and the challenge. My OC is stable if I get the 3DMark score at the end ;)

133 gold medals on HWBot.org and 45 silver. All from nVidia cards.

UK #1 non-Pro, world top 10

Posted 01/18/2013 12:15 AM   
Well the default clock speed is set to 810 and memory clock is 1800 and i haven't touched anything yet. yes it's DDR3, i will look at nVidiaInspector.
Well the default clock speed is set to 810 and memory clock is 1800 and i haven't touched anything yet.
yes it's DDR3, i will look at nVidiaInspector.

Posted 01/18/2013 12:59 AM   
900 (1800) is a nice stock speed. Try 950MHz, then 1GHz :)
900 (1800) is a nice stock speed. Try 950MHz, then 1GHz :)

I'm a competitive extreme overclocker. I OC for the sport and the challenge. My OC is stable if I get the 3DMark score at the end ;)

Posted 01/18/2013 09:15 AM   
i downloaded MSI Afterburner and Kombustor as i heard it was decent, the kombustor stress test is 15 mins long, what temperatures are safe or dangerous when it comes to gpu temp?
i downloaded MSI Afterburner and Kombustor as i heard it was decent, the kombustor stress test is 15 mins long, what temperatures are safe or dangerous when it comes to gpu temp?

Posted 01/18/2013 10:45 AM   
If you see over 70 degrees under load, i'd suggest increasing the fan speed (or making sure it's dust-free....someone on here dusted their computer and got a 30 degree+ drop in temps....) :) Afterburners good, yea :) I've never used Kombuster though, so I can't comment on that
If you see over 70 degrees under load, i'd suggest increasing the fan speed (or making sure it's dust-free....someone on here dusted their computer and got a 30 degree+ drop in temps....) :)

Afterburners good, yea :) I've never used Kombuster though, so I can't comment on that

Posted 01/18/2013 12:38 PM   
it gets to 70-71 on kombustor without OC, didnt keep testing as i wasnt sure if that was safe lol
it gets to 70-71 on kombustor without OC, didnt keep testing as i wasnt sure if that was safe lol

Posted 01/18/2013 09:26 PM   
Can you increase the fan speed a bit? Is the stock heatsink a bit puny and crap?
Can you increase the fan speed a bit? Is the stock heatsink a bit puny and crap?

Posted 01/19/2013 12:08 AM   
i can increase the fan speed, but i have been having issues with my pc shutting down on it's own, i think it might be my PSU, trying to figure out how to decrease power usage, but that involves disconnecting some of my fans...... looks like the OC will have to wait until i can afford a better PSU, this is annoying, lol.
i can increase the fan speed, but i have been having issues with my pc shutting down on it's own, i think it might be my PSU, trying to figure out how to decrease power usage, but that involves disconnecting some of my fans...... looks like the OC will have to wait until i can afford a better PSU, this is annoying, lol.

Posted 01/19/2013 07:33 PM   
Please can you tell me/us about your whole system? A good quality 500W PSU can do quite a bit :)
Please can you tell me/us about your whole system? A good quality 500W PSU can do quite a bit :)

Posted 01/19/2013 08:26 PM   
well there are afew issues, firstly the sudden shutdown, but my pc stays on and doesn't restart, i have to turn the PSU off and on again to get it to restart, my monitor goes into standby but my pc doesn't act like its been restarted. Secondly, not all the time, but sometimes when i put in my earphones or a usb i realized that when metal touches the metal part of the usb port or the headphone jack my monitor goes into standby, my pc stays on but doesn't restart. Maybe these issues are all related, but what could cause them? My PC info using pc wizard: Mainboard : Acer WMCP78M Chipset : nVidia nForce 720a Processor : AMD Athlon II X2 215 @ 2700 MHz Physical Memory : 2048 MB (1 x 2048 DDR3-SDRAM ) not sure why its got this, i have 4GB installed. Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce GT 630 Hard Disk : Western Digital WD64 00AAKS-22A7B SCSI Disk Device (640GB) CD-Rom Drive : DTSOFT Virtual CdRom Device DVD-Rom Drive : HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH41N Monitor Type : Acer Acer P205H - 20 inches Network Card : Nvidia MCP77 Ethernet Operating System : Windows 7 Home Premium Home Edition Media Center 6.01.7601 Service Pack 1 (64-bit) DirectX : Version 11.00 Windows Performance Index : 5.9 on 7.9 Plus 8 fans, i have only got 4 connected, exhaust, top, CPU, GFX.
well there are afew issues, firstly the sudden shutdown, but my pc stays on and doesn't restart, i have to turn the PSU off and on again to get it to restart, my monitor goes into standby but my pc doesn't act like its been restarted.

Secondly, not all the time, but sometimes when i put in my earphones or a usb i realized that when metal touches the metal part of the usb port or the headphone jack my monitor goes into standby, my pc stays on but doesn't restart.

Maybe these issues are all related, but what could cause them?

My PC info using pc wizard:

Mainboard : Acer WMCP78M

Chipset : nVidia nForce 720a

Processor : AMD Athlon II X2 215 @ 2700 MHz

Physical Memory : 2048 MB (1 x 2048 DDR3-SDRAM ) not sure why its got this, i have 4GB installed.

Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

Hard Disk : Western Digital WD64 00AAKS-22A7B SCSI Disk Device (640GB)

CD-Rom Drive : DTSOFT Virtual CdRom Device

DVD-Rom Drive : HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH41N

Monitor Type : Acer Acer P205H - 20 inches

Network Card : Nvidia MCP77 Ethernet

Operating System : Windows 7 Home Premium Home Edition Media Center 6.01.7601 Service Pack 1 (64-bit)

DirectX : Version 11.00

Windows Performance Index : 5.9 on 7.9

Plus 8 fans, i have only got 4 connected, exhaust, top, CPU, GFX.

Posted 01/19/2013 10:55 PM   
None of those parts are especially power-hungry. What 500W PSU do you have? It sounds like something isn't grounded properly, but to fix that, you'll have to COMPLETELY strip the computer down, check for anything that looks amiss and rebuild
None of those parts are especially power-hungry. What 500W PSU do you have?

It sounds like something isn't grounded properly, but to fix that, you'll have to COMPLETELY strip the computer down, check for anything that looks amiss and rebuild

Posted 01/20/2013 09:34 AM   
Novatech PowerStation Gaming 500W Silent ATX2 Modular Power Supply, as i bought the case i stripped my other one down and used some of those parts to build my new one, i have stripped it down once already and i don't get it, though the 2 hole power button connection wasn't working in the 2 pin slots so i connected it to 2 pins of an 8 pin slot, would that cause it?
Novatech PowerStation Gaming 500W Silent ATX2 Modular Power Supply, as i bought the case i stripped my other one down and used some of those parts to build my new one, i have stripped it down once already and i don't get it, though the 2 hole power button connection wasn't working in the 2 pin slots so i connected it to 2 pins of an 8 pin slot, would that cause it?

Posted 01/20/2013 04:20 PM   
Which "8-pin slot?" A power button is an open-circuit unless it is being pushed, so that *shouldn't* be a problem
Which "8-pin slot?" A power button is an open-circuit unless it is being pushed, so that *shouldn't* be a problem

Posted 01/20/2013 06:45 PM   
ummm, its not a slot as such, just pins but two rows of 4 pins, like the 3 pin connectors for the fans on the mobo, but more pins, but my power button connection has 2 pins and when i plug it into the 2 pin connectors on the mobo the power button doesnt work, so i connected the power button to 2 pins of an 8 pin connector, if that makes any sense.
ummm, its not a slot as such, just pins but two rows of 4 pins, like the 3 pin connectors for the fans on the mobo, but more pins, but my power button connection has 2 pins and when i plug it into the 2 pin connectors on the mobo the power button doesnt work, so i connected the power button to 2 pins of an 8 pin connector, if that makes any sense.

Posted 01/20/2013 08:52 PM   
  1 / 2    
Scroll To Top