ASUS VG278HE 144hz vs ASUS VG278H 120hz in 3D
So, I've using ASUS VG278H for past 1 year now. I am cool with it but crosstalk on 3D mode still bothers me a lot. How's new ASUS VG278HE in 3D? Did it improve crosstalk at all? I don't care much about 144hz that only works in 2D. Is it worth upgrading?
So, I've using ASUS VG278H for past 1 year now. I am cool with it but crosstalk on 3D mode still bothers me a lot. How's new ASUS VG278HE in 3D? Did it improve crosstalk at all? I don't care much about 144hz that only works in 2D. Is it worth upgrading?

I7 3930k

Corsair H100 Liquid Cooling Kit

Asus Rampage IV Formula

G.Skill 16gb DDR3 2133 Rams

MSI GTX 970 4G Gaming SLI

Corsair AX1200 watts Gold PSU

1tb Samsung 840 Evo SSD

Thermaltake Level 10 GT Case

Asus VG278H 27 inch 3D monitor

Posted 01/17/2013 02:10 PM   
I have the Asus VG278H and by cross talk do you mean ghosting? I see the all the time on brighter areas and it bugs me.
I have the Asus VG278H and by cross talk do you mean ghosting? I see the all the time on brighter areas and it bugs me.

Posted 01/17/2013 06:09 PM   
[quote="Sharpzed"]I have the Asus VG278H and by cross talk do you mean ghosting? is that cross talk? I'm new to 3d ligo. I see the all the time on brighter areas and it bugs me.[/quote]
Sharpzed said:I have the Asus VG278H and by cross talk do you mean ghosting? is that cross talk? I'm new to 3d ligo. I see the all the time on brighter areas and it bugs me.

Posted 01/17/2013 06:12 PM   
Im pretty sure 144 hz is for 2d only, its 120 hz in 3d, check it out for yourself. The g2g response time is still 2ms. Im pretty sure ghosting will be the same. I have the vg27h also, pretty sure its still the best monitor for 3D. If you want a ghost free experience get a dlp projector and make a games room, or wait and by the occulus rift when it comes out and play all 3d games with a head set which is my plan :-)
Im pretty sure 144 hz is for 2d only, its 120 hz in 3d, check it out for yourself. The g2g response time is still 2ms. Im pretty sure ghosting will be the same.

I have the vg27h also, pretty sure its still the best monitor for 3D. If you want a ghost free experience get a dlp projector and make a games room, or wait and by the occulus rift when it comes out and play all 3d games with a head set which is my plan :-)

Posted 01/17/2013 09:30 PM   
I was planning on upgrading from my sammy 2233rz, to the VG278H this year with my tax return. My sammy has performed well over the years, and I was wondering if the asus is actually a good upgrade as far as crosstalk and brightness is concerned. I know I read that my samsung had the "worst" crosstalk of all the first gen monitors, but I think I must have got an exceptional panel, because I hardly ever notice crosstalk in games unless stuff is extremely contrasted. A huge DLP, or projector are out of the question. I don't have the room, I made lots of babies that take up all my bedrooms LOL. Just how good is the VG278H?
I was planning on upgrading from my sammy 2233rz, to the VG278H this year with my tax return. My sammy has performed well over the years, and I was wondering if the asus is actually a good upgrade as far as crosstalk and brightness is concerned. I know I read that my samsung had the "worst" crosstalk of all the first gen monitors, but I think I must have got an exceptional panel, because I hardly ever notice crosstalk in games unless stuff is extremely contrasted. A huge DLP, or projector are out of the question. I don't have the room, I made lots of babies that take up all my bedrooms LOL.

Just how good is the VG278H?

AsRock X58 Extreme6 mobo
Intel Core-i7 950 @ 4ghz
6gb Corsair Dominator DDR3 2000
ASUS DirectCU II GTX 780 3gb
Corsair TX 950w PSU
NZXT Phantom Red/Black Case
3d Vision 1 w/ Samsung 2233rz Monitor
3d Vision 2 w/ ASUS VG278HE Monitor

Posted 01/17/2013 11:30 PM   
The Asus VG278H is the best 3D I have ever experienced. There is very little cross-talk and its nice and bright. Reducing the contrast until the cross-talk is 98% eliminated works well for this monitor. Everyone of my friends that experienced it also said that it's the best example of what 3D can do. I love sitting someone down and giving them a taste of Trine 2 in 3d. Great reactions out of people when they are amazed and say that this is the future of gaming etc etc. I tell them I've had it for a year now :) I have been thinking of getting a monster desktop and setting up 3D surround but that's a dream right now. Although the amazing news about the OCULUS RIFT coming out of CES this year might change my plans. Go ahead and pull the trigger on the VG278HE 144hz, it comes with an even faster refresh rate than the older VG278H 120hz. Down to 1ms from 2ms. My ultimate dream right now though is for a [u]30" 4K OLED monitor[/u]. That would be sick. I believe that's a few years down the road.
The Asus VG278H is the best 3D I have ever experienced. There is very little cross-talk and its nice and bright. Reducing the contrast until the cross-talk is 98% eliminated works well for this monitor.

Everyone of my friends that experienced it also said that it's the best example of what 3D can do. I love sitting someone down and giving them a taste of Trine 2 in 3d. Great reactions out of people when they are amazed and say that this is the future of gaming etc etc. I tell them I've had it for a year now :)

I have been thinking of getting a monster desktop and setting up 3D surround but that's a dream right now. Although the amazing news about the OCULUS RIFT coming out of CES this year might change my plans.

Go ahead and pull the trigger on the VG278HE 144hz, it comes with an even faster refresh rate than the older VG278H 120hz. Down to 1ms from 2ms.

My ultimate dream right now though is for a 30" 4K OLED monitor. That would be sick. I believe that's a few years down the road.

Posted 01/17/2013 11:50 PM   
[quote="AcidBong"]I was planning on upgrading from my sammy 2233rz, to the VG278H this year with my tax return. My sammy has performed well over the years, and I was wondering if the asus is actually a good upgrade as far as crosstalk and brightness is concerned. I know I read that my samsung had the "worst" crosstalk of all the first gen monitors, but I think I must have got an exceptional panel, because I hardly ever notice crosstalk in games unless stuff is extremely contrasted. A huge DLP, or projector are out of the question. I don't have the room, I made lots of babies that take up all my bedrooms LOL. Just how good is the VG278H? [/quote] Lightboost makes all the difference in the world, I tried playing without lightboost just to see what it was like and just couldn't do it, the way 3D puts you in the game is ruined for me by the fact that in the game it can be glaring sunlight but it the image is really dark. I have my contrast pretty high for this reason. An example of the crosstalk in a high contrast scenario if it helps. Not too bad in my opinion. http://oi49.tinypic.com/ht5hk1.jpg The VG278 is the only 3D anything I've ever used, so I don't really have anything to compare it to, but I find the levels of crosstalk fine, its only noticeable with stark black on white. Don't know what its like with other displays. I will however add that the backlight bleed drives me fucking insane. Watching things late at night with borders, makes me want to punch it. Thankfully it dissapears in anything but total black, so doesn't appear in games.
AcidBong said:I was planning on upgrading from my sammy 2233rz, to the VG278H this year with my tax return. My sammy has performed well over the years, and I was wondering if the asus is actually a good upgrade as far as crosstalk and brightness is concerned. I know I read that my samsung had the "worst" crosstalk of all the first gen monitors, but I think I must have got an exceptional panel, because I hardly ever notice crosstalk in games unless stuff is extremely contrasted. A huge DLP, or projector are out of the question. I don't have the room, I made lots of babies that take up all my bedrooms LOL.

Just how good is the VG278H?

Lightboost makes all the difference in the world, I tried playing without lightboost just to see what it was like and just couldn't do it, the way 3D puts you in the game is ruined for me by the fact that in the game it can be glaring sunlight but it the image is really dark.

I have my contrast pretty high for this reason. An example of the crosstalk in a high contrast scenario if it helps. Not too bad in my opinion.

http://oi49.tinypic.com/ht5hk1.jpg

The VG278 is the only 3D anything I've ever used, so I don't really have anything to compare it to, but I find the levels of crosstalk fine, its only noticeable with stark black on white. Don't know what its like with other displays.

I will however add that the backlight bleed drives me fucking insane. Watching things late at night with borders, makes me want to punch it. Thankfully it dissapears in anything but total black, so doesn't appear in games.

Posted 01/18/2013 01:01 AM   
Agree the Asus VG278H is a wonderful monitor and lightboost are making it totaly perfect. Some crosstalk of course but I say very little! No need for the new model as it's only 120hz = 60hz per eye in 3d anyway mate!
Agree the Asus VG278H is a wonderful monitor and lightboost are making it totaly perfect.
Some crosstalk of course but I say very little!

No need for the new model as it's only 120hz = 60hz per eye in 3d anyway mate!

Posted 01/18/2013 11:21 AM   
Alien07, No lcd screen that i know of has a 1ms response time, the asus vg278he has 2ms response time http://www.asus.com/Monitors_Projectors/VG278HE/ So will have same or similar levels of ghosting. Also in 3d only 120 hz, not 144. You're never going to notice the difference of 24 hz in 2D! No chance. When we have 240hz in 3D than we will have ourselves a screen worthy up updating to because of increases refresh alone. And doesnt come with 3d glasses and inbuilt emmitor (which i like as it keeps the desk tidy) By the way, if you want to show off another game (ok trine 2 is arguably one of e most pretty 3d games) but i find witcher 2 right now to be amazing! Also as for backlight bleeding lik cookey has, i think this has to do with batches. I know that there are people with backlight bleed problems, but mine doesn't have this at all... Well mostly. It is night and day better than my aw2310. And as for ghosting, considering how bright the screen is with lightboost etc, ghosting is pretty good, but still exists so dont get disappointed. It is 10x better than the aw2310 again that i upgraded from.
Alien07,

No lcd screen that i know of has a 1ms response time, the asus vg278he has 2ms response time http://www.asus.com/Monitors_Projectors/VG278HE/

So will have same or similar levels of ghosting.

Also in 3d only 120 hz, not 144. You're never going to notice the difference of 24 hz in 2D! No chance. When we have 240hz in 3D than we will have ourselves a screen worthy up updating to because of increases refresh alone.

And doesnt come with 3d glasses and inbuilt emmitor (which i like as it keeps the desk tidy)

By the way, if you want to show off another game (ok trine 2 is arguably one of e most pretty 3d games) but i find witcher 2 right now to be amazing!

Also as for backlight bleeding lik cookey has, i think this has to do with batches. I know that there are people with backlight bleed problems, but mine doesn't have this at all... Well mostly. It is night and day better than my aw2310.

And as for ghosting, considering how bright the screen is with lightboost etc, ghosting is pretty good, but still exists so dont get disappointed. It is 10x better than the aw2310 again that i upgraded from.

Posted 01/18/2013 02:19 PM   
Actually, I did some math. At this current time, the buying the VG278HE + a new 3d vision 2 kit, will save me ~50 bucks compared to the VG278H. Plus, I'll have a second external emitter which I love, for the wheel on the back. And my son will get the old kit. I think that is what I'm going to do.
Actually, I did some math. At this current time, the buying the VG278HE + a new 3d vision 2 kit, will save me ~50 bucks compared to the VG278H. Plus, I'll have a second external emitter which I love, for the wheel on the back. And my son will get the old kit. I think that is what I'm going to do.

AsRock X58 Extreme6 mobo
Intel Core-i7 950 @ 4ghz
6gb Corsair Dominator DDR3 2000
ASUS DirectCU II GTX 780 3gb
Corsair TX 950w PSU
NZXT Phantom Red/Black Case
3d Vision 1 w/ Samsung 2233rz Monitor
3d Vision 2 w/ ASUS VG278HE Monitor

Posted 01/18/2013 07:45 PM   
Fair enough, if it works out cheaper than there is no reason not to pull the trigger on the he. Let us know how you find it :-)
Fair enough, if it works out cheaper than there is no reason not to pull the trigger on the he. Let us know how you find it :-)

Posted 01/19/2013 12:29 PM   
[quote="foreverseeking"]Alien07, No lcd screen that i know of has a 1ms response time, the asus vg278he has 2ms response time http://www.asus.com/Monitors_Projectors/VG278HE/[/quote] My mistake, I mentioned the wrong model #... This is the [u]1ms Asus VG248QE[/u]: http://www.pcper.com/news/Displays/CES-2013-Video-ASUS-VG248QE-144-Hz-24-and-MX299Q-29-219-2560x1080-Monitors
foreverseeking said:Alien07,

No lcd screen that i know of has a 1ms response time, the asus vg278he has 2ms response time http://www.asus.com/Monitors_Projectors/VG278HE/

My mistake, I mentioned the wrong model #... This is the 1ms Asus VG248QE:

http://www.pcper.com/news/Displays/CES-2013-Video-ASUS-VG248QE-144-Hz-24-and-MX299Q-29-219-2560x1080-Monitors

Posted 01/19/2013 06:26 PM   
Bloody nice find alien, that screens not out yet though right? Looks fantastic though. If it's really 1ms gtg it could potentially be crosstalk free, or very close to it. Will be waiting for reviews. For anyone looking to purchase a new 3D model i woukd be tempted to wait for this unless you want a bigger screen!
Bloody nice find alien, that screens not out yet though right? Looks fantastic though. If it's really 1ms gtg it could potentially be crosstalk free, or very close to it.

Will be waiting for reviews. For anyone looking to purchase a new 3D model i woukd be tempted to wait for this unless you want a bigger screen!

Posted 01/20/2013 09:16 AM   
I wish we could just fast forward a couple of years and have a 30-40 inch 120hz(or above) [u]4K OLED[/u] monitor. OLED tech has a response time 1000X faster than LCD with multiple other advantages as well. From WIKI: "OLEDs can also have a faster response time than standard LCD screens. Whereas LCD displays are capable of between 2 and 16 ms response time offering a refresh rate of 60 to 480 Hz, an OLED can theoretically have less than [u]0.01 ms response time, enabling up to 100,000 Hz refresh rate[/u]."
I wish we could just fast forward a couple of years and have a 30-40 inch 120hz(or above) 4K OLED monitor.

OLED tech has a response time 1000X faster than LCD with multiple other advantages as well.

From WIKI:

"OLEDs can also have a faster response time than standard LCD screens. Whereas LCD displays are capable of between 2 and 16 ms response time offering a refresh rate of 60 to 480 Hz, an OLED can theoretically have less than 0.01 ms response time, enabling up to 100,000 Hz refresh rate."

Posted 01/20/2013 06:20 PM   
Scroll To Top