Far Cry 3 optimal settings
Hi guys Just noticed that you pushed Far Cry 3 optimal settings out to Geforce Experience and thought I'd share mine, as they are higher and yet still give me a solid 60 FPS. I tried the 'optimal' ones also and of course still got 60 FPS, however my GPU was only being taxed at about 75% max. I use adaptive V-sync at a resolution of 1920x1080. I have a KFA2 (Galaxy in the US) GTX 670 EX OC, so it's slightly factory overclocked. No further OCing done as this tends to crash Far Cry 3 for some reason (an issue with the game though, I believe - my OC is stable in every other title). Using the 310.90 drivers. [img]http://s13.postimage.org/gdwhv9n13/FC3_optimal.jpg[/img] I've done loads of testing with this game and I think my settings really are the sweet spot. I couldn't max out the game without getting FPS ranging from 40-60, which I didn't like at all, so had to look into the settings a bit more thoroughly. HDAO makes a massive difference in this and the performance hit is pretty small. SSAO looks nowhere near as good. Also, having 'Alpha to Coverage' not set to Enhanced in a game that has so much foliage is insane. The main FPS killer in this title is the Post FX setting - you have it set to High, but dropping it to Medium will give an extra 10 FPS at least and makes pretty much no visual difference. This then allows you to bump up other settings such as Geometry and Water to Very High. Like I said, a solid 60 FPS and the most my GPU is taxed is to about 93%. Any other suggestions are welcome.
Hi guys

Just noticed that you pushed Far Cry 3 optimal settings out to Geforce Experience and thought I'd share mine, as they are higher and yet still give me a solid 60 FPS. I tried the 'optimal' ones also and of course still got 60 FPS, however my GPU was only being taxed at about 75% max. I use adaptive V-sync at a resolution of 1920x1080.

I have a KFA2 (Galaxy in the US) GTX 670 EX OC, so it's slightly factory overclocked. No further OCing done as this tends to crash Far Cry 3 for some reason (an issue with the game though, I believe - my OC is stable in every other title). Using the 310.90 drivers.

I've done loads of testing with this game and I think my settings really are the sweet spot. I couldn't max out the game without getting FPS ranging from 40-60, which I didn't like at all, so had to look into the settings a bit more thoroughly.

HDAO makes a massive difference in this and the performance hit is pretty small. SSAO looks nowhere near as good. Also, having 'Alpha to Coverage' not set to Enhanced in a game that has so much foliage is insane.

The main FPS killer in this title is the Post FX setting - you have it set to High, but dropping it to Medium will give an extra 10 FPS at least and makes pretty much no visual difference. This then allows you to bump up other settings such as Geometry and Water to Very High.

Like I said, a solid 60 FPS and the most my GPU is taxed is to about 93%. Any other suggestions are welcome.

Posted 01/16/2013 01:48 AM   
I have a similar problem with this game. Using a GTX 680M and when i set settings to ultra, and when my GPU is taxed to %99 i can get constant fps between 50-60 fps. But there are a lot of sudden drops in the GPU usage in game and it causes fps drops so much.. My GPU is usually at %60-70's and getting 35-40 fps even if i reduce the settings it's the same problem.. But i couldn't push it to use %99 all the time :( Is there any way to use it at %99 constantly ? And in the Geforce Experience optimal settings are shown as all low settings, it is so ridiculous please fix it to something reasonable..
I have a similar problem with this game. Using a GTX 680M and when i set settings to ultra, and when my GPU is taxed to %99 i can get constant fps between 50-60 fps. But there are a lot of sudden drops in the GPU usage in game and it causes fps drops so much.. My GPU is usually at %60-70's and getting 35-40 fps even if i reduce the settings it's the same problem.. But i couldn't push it to use %99 all the time :( Is there any way to use it at %99 constantly ?

And in the Geforce Experience optimal settings are shown as all low settings, it is so ridiculous please fix it to something reasonable..

Posted 01/25/2013 12:37 AM   
[quote="CSF90"]Just noticed that you pushed Far Cry 3 optimal settings out to Geforce Experience and thought I'd share mine, as they are higher and yet still give me a solid 60 FPS.[/quote] Thanks, we appreciate the feedback! [quote="CSF90"]I have a KFA2 (Galaxy in the US) GTX 670 EX OC, so it's slightly factory overclocked. No further OCing done as this tends to crash Far Cry 3 for some reason (an issue with the game though, I believe - my OC is stable in every other title).[/quote] Just an FYI, but GFE does not currently take overclocking into account when recommending settings. It is however planned for a future release. [quote="CSF90"]HDAO makes a massive difference in this and the performance hit is pretty small. SSAO looks nowhere near as good. Also, having 'Alpha to Coverage' not set to Enhanced in a game that has so much foliage is insane.[/quote] Sorry, but our testers did not agree with you -- in fact they thought that neither HBAO nor HDAO offered visual improvement over SSAO yet there is significant performance penalty for choosing them. In general, AO modes are pretty subjective. As for Alpha to Coverage, our testers agree that it's important to have it enabled, but didn't see a huge improvement in choosing Enhanced over Standard. [quote="CSF90"]The main FPS killer in this title is the Post FX setting - you have it set to High, but dropping it to Medium will give an extra 10 FPS at least and makes pretty much no visual difference. This then allows you to bump up other settings such as Geometry and Water to Very High.[/quote] Yes, agree with you that the image quality difference between Medium and High is pretty low. Yet the performance penalty is anything but low. I'll discuss this with our testers and see what we can do. Thanks again for the feedback.
CSF90 said:Just noticed that you pushed Far Cry 3 optimal settings out to Geforce Experience and thought I'd share mine, as they are higher and yet still give me a solid 60 FPS.

Thanks, we appreciate the feedback!

CSF90 said:I have a KFA2 (Galaxy in the US) GTX 670 EX OC, so it's slightly factory overclocked. No further OCing done as this tends to crash Far Cry 3 for some reason (an issue with the game though, I believe - my OC is stable in every other title).

Just an FYI, but GFE does not currently take overclocking into account when recommending settings. It is however planned for a future release.

CSF90 said:HDAO makes a massive difference in this and the performance hit is pretty small. SSAO looks nowhere near as good. Also, having 'Alpha to Coverage' not set to Enhanced in a game that has so much foliage is insane.

Sorry, but our testers did not agree with you -- in fact they thought that neither HBAO nor HDAO offered visual improvement over SSAO yet there is significant performance penalty for choosing them. In general, AO modes are pretty subjective.

As for Alpha to Coverage, our testers agree that it's important to have it enabled, but didn't see a huge improvement in choosing Enhanced over Standard.

CSF90 said:The main FPS killer in this title is the Post FX setting - you have it set to High, but dropping it to Medium will give an extra 10 FPS at least and makes pretty much no visual difference. This then allows you to bump up other settings such as Geometry and Water to Very High.

Yes, agree with you that the image quality difference between Medium and High is pretty low. Yet the performance penalty is anything but low. I'll discuss this with our testers and see what we can do. Thanks again for the feedback.

NVIDIA GeForce Experience

Posted 01/25/2013 03:54 AM   
I have to agree with the OP. When I saw how bad SSAO looks compared to HDAO it had me racing for the "unoptimize" button.
I have to agree with the OP. When I saw how bad SSAO looks compared to HDAO it had me racing for the "unoptimize" button.

Posted 01/26/2013 01:59 AM   
Good feedback. We're looking to improve recommendations for Far Cry 3 and will take this into account.
Good feedback. We're looking to improve recommendations for Far Cry 3 and will take this into account.

Posted 01/26/2013 02:14 AM   
[quote="JohnSpitzer"][quote="CSF90"]Just noticed that you pushed Far Cry 3 optimal settings out to Geforce Experience and thought I'd share mine, as they are higher and yet still give me a solid 60 FPS.[/quote] Thanks, we appreciate the feedback! *SNIP*[/quote] No problem, thanks for the reply. I only mentioned my slightly factory overclocked GPU as I didn't think it would make that much of a difference to the FPS in comparison to a stock clock one - wanted to clarify I wasn't using a massively manually overclocked GTX 670 as some users might be :) I understand that AO is subjective, as is the Alpha to Coverage. In truth, neither make a [b]huge [/b]difference in terms of graphical appearance (although I do think that HDAO looks better than SSAO in this particular title). My main point was the Post FX option being lowered to give a pretty large FPS increase, thus allowing the increase of some of the other settings.
JohnSpitzer said:
CSF90 said:Just noticed that you pushed Far Cry 3 optimal settings out to Geforce Experience and thought I'd share mine, as they are higher and yet still give me a solid 60 FPS.

Thanks, we appreciate the feedback!

*SNIP*

No problem, thanks for the reply.

I only mentioned my slightly factory overclocked GPU as I didn't think it would make that much of a difference to the FPS in comparison to a stock clock one - wanted to clarify I wasn't using a massively manually overclocked GTX 670 as some users might be :)

I understand that AO is subjective, as is the Alpha to Coverage. In truth, neither make a huge difference in terms of graphical appearance (although I do think that HDAO looks better than SSAO in this particular title). My main point was the Post FX option being lowered to give a pretty large FPS increase, thus allowing the increase of some of the other settings.

Posted 01/30/2013 04:48 PM   
I cannot even get Far Cry 3 to show up on my GFE...
I cannot even get Far Cry 3 to show up on my GFE...

Posted 01/31/2013 01:50 AM   
[quote="mrwizzy2002"]I cannot even get Far Cry 3 to show up on my GFE...[/quote] Yeah, it has disappeared for me since I reinstalled GeForce Experience earlier today (I was messing around with some stuff and reinstalled it). Can't even find it if I add the actual folder the executable is in. Sent feedback using the application.
mrwizzy2002 said:I cannot even get Far Cry 3 to show up on my GFE...

Yeah, it has disappeared for me since I reinstalled GeForce Experience earlier today (I was messing around with some stuff and reinstalled it).

Can't even find it if I add the actual folder the executable is in. Sent feedback using the application.

Posted 01/31/2013 02:15 AM   
[quote="CSF90"] I understand that AO is subjective, as is the Alpha to Coverage. In truth, neither make a [b]huge [/b]difference in terms of graphical appearance (although I do think that HDAO looks better than SSAO in this particular title). My main point was the Post FX option being lowered to give a pretty large FPS increase, thus allowing the increase of some of the other settings.[/quote] We discussed it with the team and decided to stick with SSAO even on the highest levels. But we will be respinning the settings soon and part of that will be maxing Alpha to Coverage before moving Post FX at all. Stay tuned!
CSF90 said:
I understand that AO is subjective, as is the Alpha to Coverage. In truth, neither make a huge difference in terms of graphical appearance (although I do think that HDAO looks better than SSAO in this particular title). My main point was the Post FX option being lowered to give a pretty large FPS increase, thus allowing the increase of some of the other settings.

We discussed it with the team and decided to stick with SSAO even on the highest levels. But we will be respinning the settings soon and part of that will be maxing Alpha to Coverage before moving Post FX at all. Stay tuned!

Posted 01/31/2013 02:16 AM   
Scroll To Top