GeForce 8800 GTS (nvlddmkm.sys - video failure)
Hi all, I'm hoping someone can shed some light on an issue I'm having. First, some brief background: I am running a home built system that has been stable since 2007. I have an 8800 GTS card installed, and until recently I have not had any issues running it with Windows 7 64 bit. About a week ago, the machine blue screened and named nvlddmkm.sys as the culprit. My first guess is that there was a specific windows update that was pushed out that conflicted with this file. I had not manually updated the drivers for the video card in some time, but even after updating to the newest 310.70 version, the problem persisted. I then proceeded to do a clean install of Windows 8 64 bit, and I could not even get past the device installation stage of setup until I deleted all traces of nvlddmkm.sys from the hard drive. Once I did this, setup continued and completed, but I have not yet been able to install drivers for the video card. Each time I try, the machine restarts half way through and blue screens, stating "video failure" as the cause and again pointing to nvlddmkm.sys. The only way to get into the system at all is to system restore to the point before I attempted the driver install. At this point I have no idea how to proceed. Attached is a screenshot of my device manager in Windows 8 that shows the current status of my video card. Any suggestions? I've tried a few previous versions of the drivers to no avail. [b]Screenshot:[/b] [url]http://i.imgur.com/wtTnp.jpg[/url]
Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can shed some light on an issue I'm having. First, some brief background:

I am running a home built system that has been stable since 2007. I have an 8800 GTS card installed, and until recently I have not had any issues running it with Windows 7 64 bit. About a week ago, the machine blue screened and named nvlddmkm.sys as the culprit. My first guess is that there was a specific windows update that was pushed out that conflicted with this file. I had not manually updated the drivers for the video card in some time, but even after updating to the newest 310.70 version, the problem persisted.

I then proceeded to do a clean install of Windows 8 64 bit, and I could not even get past the device installation stage of setup until I deleted all traces of nvlddmkm.sys from the hard drive. Once I did this, setup continued and completed, but I have not yet been able to install drivers for the video card. Each time I try, the machine restarts half way through and blue screens, stating "video failure" as the cause and again pointing to nvlddmkm.sys. The only way to get into the system at all is to system restore to the point before I attempted the driver install.

At this point I have no idea how to proceed. Attached is a screenshot of my device manager in Windows 8 that shows the current status of my video card. Any suggestions? I've tried a few previous versions of the drivers to no avail.

Screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/wtTnp.jpg

Posted 01/06/2013 08:43 PM   
Anyone have any ideas?
Anyone have any ideas?

Posted 01/09/2013 11:58 PM   
Typically if Windows blue screens during install process it's a hardware issue. You might try removing graphics card, clean it off carefully with air, then reseat it in the motherboard (first blowing out the motherboard socket with air also). Short of that, it may be time for a new graphics card.
Typically if Windows blue screens during install process it's a hardware issue. You might try removing graphics card, clean it off carefully with air, then reseat it in the motherboard (first blowing out the motherboard socket with air also). Short of that, it may be time for a new graphics card.

"This is your code. These are also your bugs. Really. Yes, the API runtime and the
driver have bugs, but this is not one of them. Now go fix it already." -fgiesen

Posted 01/10/2013 12:10 AM   
Scroll To Top