What driver should i use for windows 8?
Obviously we have all been having issues with the 310.70 driver causing a blank screen upon restart/startup. I have been getting told to revert to a previous driver. What is the most updated/stable driver that i should use for windows 8 for the time being? My Setup: Windows 8 64-bit, 2x SLI Nvidia 550ti video cards. Thanks
Obviously we have all been having issues with the 310.70 driver causing a blank screen upon restart/startup. I have been getting told to revert to a previous driver. What is the most updated/stable driver that i should use for windows 8 for the time being?

My Setup: Windows 8 64-bit, 2x SLI Nvidia 550ti video cards.

Thanks

Posted 01/06/2013 03:29 AM   

Posted 01/06/2013 03:36 AM   
[quote="Mitch712"]Obviously we have all been having issues with the 310.70 driver[/quote] No, this problem does not affect all Windows 8 users. I didn't have this problem during my Windows 8 trials. Maybe I had already configured Windows so that it wasn't screwing with my drivers via MS Update.
Mitch712 said:Obviously we have all been having issues with the 310.70 driver

No, this problem does not affect all Windows 8 users. I didn't have this problem during my Windows 8 trials. Maybe I had already configured Windows so that it wasn't screwing with my drivers via MS Update.

"This is your code. These are also your bugs. Really. Yes, the API runtime and the
driver have bugs, but this is not one of them. Now go fix it already." -fgiesen

Posted 01/06/2013 03:48 AM   
[quote="BERRRR"]306.23[/quote] Hi Mitch712, You should be able to use the 310.70 or 310.90 driver with Windows 8 but you may install the 306.23 driver if you wish. Since you are experiencing a black screen upon startup, please follow the workaround recovery steps as described by ManuelG: -------------------------- 1) Flickering Screen/Black Screen After Installing R310.33/R310.54 Drivers on Windows 8 Issue After installing the R310 driver on Windows 8, the subsequent reboot results in a black or flickering screen. [u][b]Root Cause[/b][/u] This occurs because Windows Update performed a background installation of a Release 304 driver, which requires a reboot to complete the installation. After installing the Release 310 driver and then rebooting the system, installation of both the Release 304 as well as the Release 310 is completed, resulting in conflicting driver binaries and the black/ flickering screen. [u][b]Workaround - Prevention[/b][/u] To avoid the issue, reboot the system before installing the Release 310 driver. Alternately, you can check the driver status under the Device Manager and perform the reboot if the Device Manager indicates that a restart is needed. Then install the driver. [u][b]Workaround - Recovery[/b][/u] If you did not perform the necessary reboot prior to installing the driver and now encounter the black screen, do the following: 1 Reboot in Safe Mode. 2 Uninstall the driver. 3 Disconnect from the internet and then restart the system. 4 In normal mode, install the new driver. Source: [url]https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/523630/official-nvidia-r310-54-beta-display-driver-feedback-thread-released-11-12-12-/[/url] -------------------------- You may be able to access Windows 8 Safe Mode using the steps described in the following article: [url]http://www.howtogeek.com/107511/how-to-boot-into-safe-mode-on-windows-8-the-easy-way/[/url] If you are still unable to access Safe Mode, my steps as detailed in the following thread may be of assistance to you: [url]https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/523026/geforce-drivers/official-nvidia-r310-33-beta-display-driver-feedback-thread-released-10-23-12-/2/[/url] I hope this helps. Thank you.
BERRRR said:306.23

Hi Mitch712,

You should be able to use the 310.70 or 310.90 driver with Windows 8 but you may install the 306.23 driver if you wish. Since you are experiencing a black screen upon startup, please follow the workaround recovery steps as described by ManuelG:

--------------------------

1) Flickering Screen/Black Screen After Installing R310.33/R310.54 Drivers on Windows 8
Issue

After installing the R310 driver on Windows 8, the subsequent reboot results in a black or
flickering screen.

Root Cause

This occurs because Windows Update performed a background installation of a Release
304 driver, which requires a reboot to complete the installation. After installing the
Release 310 driver and then rebooting the system, installation of both the Release 304 as
well as the Release 310 is completed, resulting in conflicting driver binaries and the black/
flickering screen.

Workaround - Prevention

To avoid the issue, reboot the system before installing the Release 310 driver.
Alternately, you can check the driver status under the Device Manager and perform the
reboot if the Device Manager indicates that a restart is needed. Then install the driver.

Workaround - Recovery

If you did not perform the necessary reboot prior to installing the driver and now
encounter the black screen, do the following:

1 Reboot in Safe Mode.
2 Uninstall the driver.
3 Disconnect from the internet and then restart the system.
4 In normal mode, install the new driver.

Source: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/523630/official-nvidia-r310-54-beta-display-driver-feedback-thread-released-11-12-12-/

--------------------------

You may be able to access Windows 8 Safe Mode using the steps described in the following article:

http://www.howtogeek.com/107511/how-to-boot-into-safe-mode-on-windows-8-the-easy-way/

If you are still unable to access Safe Mode, my steps as detailed in the following thread may be of assistance to you:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/523026/geforce-drivers/official-nvidia-r310-33-beta-display-driver-feedback-thread-released-10-23-12-/2/

I hope this helps. Thank you.

Useful GPU Temperature Monitoring Guide , The Unofficial NVIDIA SLI Technology User Reference Guide , Nvidia Multi GPU SLI/PhysX Setup Guide , NVLDDMKM Problems (Very Helpful Thread), How To Choose The Correct Power Supply

Help fight Cancer, Alzheimer's, Parkinson's Disease etc. by donating unused CPU and GPU power to Stanford Universities' Research projects
Simplest method is to setup the FAH v7 client with these guides (Team Number: 142900)

Intel Core i7 2600K @ 3.4 GHz | 16GB Corsair Vengeance PC3-12800 | Asus P8P67 Pro Rev 3.0 | 1x 6GB EVGA Geforce GTX Titan (836 MHz Base, 876 MHz Boost) | 1x 6GB EVGA Geforce GTX Titan Black SC (967 MHz Base, 1072 MHz Boost) | Corsair HX1000 PSU | Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro | Dell U2711 LCD | Windows 8.1 Update (Aug 2014) Pro 64 Bit

You have to be "totally up for it" and motivated otherwise you just wouldn't win. - Jessica Ennis-Hill

Posted 01/06/2013 05:36 PM   
Scroll To Top