Can my PC run the 550 ti ?
Hello everybody I want to install the GeForce GTX 560 Ti along with additional 2GB of ram (the total will be 4 GB) plus I will switch to Windows Seven, but I'm afraid that my specs won't withstand all that, and yes I don't have a good PC -_- and yes I'm not an expert in this stuff at all, here's my computer's info : CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E7300 @ 2.66GHz CPU Speed: 2.7 GHz PSU: 500W RAM: I currently have 2 GB of ram and as I mentioned before I will add 2 GB so the total is 4 GB OS: Windows XP SP3 and again as I mentioned wills switch to 7 so is there any problem with my upgrades? am I good to go? sorry if it's the wrong section, but please inform me in case you move it to the appropriate section Thanks
Hello everybody
I want to install the GeForce GTX 560 Ti along with additional 2GB of ram (the total will be 4 GB) plus I will switch to Windows Seven, but I'm afraid that my specs won't withstand all that, and yes I don't have a good PC -_- and yes I'm not an expert in this stuff at all, here's my computer's info :

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E7300 @ 2.66GHz
CPU Speed: 2.7 GHz
PSU: 500W
RAM: I currently have 2 GB of ram and as I mentioned before I will add 2 GB so the total is 4 GB
OS: Windows XP SP3 and again as I mentioned wills switch to 7

so is there any problem with my upgrades? am I good to go?

sorry if it's the wrong section, but please inform me in case you move it to the appropriate section

Thanks

Posted 01/03/2013 11:45 PM   
You should be good to go. But since the 560Ti has a higher power consumption under load [ ~280W ] I would recommend getting a ~600W PSU just to be sure. With the specifics you gave, I estimated around 480W during gaming which is quite on border with a 500W PSU.
You should be good to go.
But since the 560Ti has a higher power consumption under load [ ~280W ] I would recommend getting a ~600W PSU just to be sure. With the specifics you gave, I estimated around 480W during gaming which is quite on border with a 500W PSU.

Posted 01/04/2013 12:31 AM   
Oooh that 560ti was a typo, I meant 550ti xD what do you think do I still need a PSU upgrade? thanks for your relpy
Oooh that 560ti was a typo, I meant 550ti xD what do you think do I still need a PSU upgrade?

thanks for your relpy

Posted 01/04/2013 01:14 AM   
Yeah, with a 550Ti you should have no problems with a 500W PSU, since the 550Ti consumes around 40-50W less than the 560Ti.
Yeah, with a 550Ti you should have no problems with a 500W PSU, since the 550Ti consumes around 40-50W less than the 560Ti.

Posted 01/04/2013 01:28 AM   
Thanks for your help, the only reason I'm asking is because some tech guy over here told me that my cor2duo and motherboard can't take that graphics card AND the ram or w/e but I had to make sure anyway. I'm doing the upgrade to play Assassin's Creed III and Hitman: Absolution and hopefully my PC will be strong enough to run GTA V when it comes out xD hopefully...
Thanks for your help, the only reason I'm asking is because some tech guy over here told me that my cor2duo and motherboard can't take that graphics card AND the ram or w/e but I had to make sure anyway.

I'm doing the upgrade to play Assassin's Creed III and Hitman: Absolution and hopefully my PC will be strong enough to run GTA V when it comes out xD hopefully...

Posted 01/04/2013 02:19 AM   
hello I have question . I have PNY gtx 550 ti i want to setup Eyefinity 3 Monitors i just wanted to know can i ?
hello I have question . I have PNY gtx 550 ti i want to setup Eyefinity 3 Monitors i just wanted to know can i ?

Posted 01/04/2013 03:15 AM   
[quote="Kod2600"]Thanks for your help, the only reason I'm asking is because some tech guy over here told me that my cor2duo and motherboard can't take that graphics card AND the ram or w/e but I had to make sure anyway. I'm doing the upgrade to play Assassin's Creed III and Hitman: Absolution and hopefully my PC will be strong enough to run GTA V when it comes out xD hopefully...[/quote] As long as the motherboard has a PCI-e slot it can run a GTX550ti. The 550ti is not too much for a dual core cpu @2.6GHz, but many newer games are (especially if you want the eye candy). More games are using quad core, and personally, as the 550ti is lower mid range you may not be able to make use of DX10 and DX11 features with a lot of games anyway, so stick with XP as it uses less RAM than Win7, and hold out until you can build a whole new machine. Once you have activated an OEM Win7 on that machine you cannot use it on the next one. Equally, the extra cost of a retail version of Win7 (if you use that instead of OEM) would be better put to a new machine. While adding another two sticks of the exact make and model RAM ( the same speed and timings) will generally work, no RAM mfg will guarantee stability or full performance when adding new sticks. I assume the RAM is DDR3, if not, it will not be useful on a future machine either. .
Kod2600 said:Thanks for your help, the only reason I'm asking is because some tech guy over here told me that my cor2duo and motherboard can't take that graphics card AND the ram or w/e but I had to make sure anyway.
I'm doing the upgrade to play Assassin's Creed III and Hitman: Absolution and hopefully my PC will be strong enough to run GTA V when it comes out xD hopefully...

As long as the motherboard has a PCI-e slot it can run a GTX550ti.
The 550ti is not too much for a dual core cpu @2.6GHz, but many newer games are (especially if you want the eye candy).
More games are using quad core, and personally, as the 550ti is lower mid range you may not be able to make use of DX10 and DX11 features with a lot of games anyway, so stick with XP as it uses less RAM than Win7, and hold out until you can build a whole new machine. Once you have activated an OEM Win7 on that machine you cannot use it on the next one. Equally, the extra cost of a retail version of Win7 (if you use that instead of OEM) would be better put to a new machine.

While adding another two sticks of the exact make and model RAM ( the same speed and timings) will generally work, no RAM mfg will guarantee stability or full performance when adding new sticks.
I assume the RAM is DDR3, if not, it will not be useful on a future machine either.

BossDweebe is in his second childhood, or would be if he'd ever left the first.

Posted 01/04/2013 06:33 AM   
It's DDR2 Because I can't run DDR3, however I really don't want to run games on high settings or anything, medium or med to low settings would satisfy me. What I'm thinking is that if I got the extra ram it will allow me to run the 7 smoothly, the reason I want 7 is the games I want is starting to leave XP behind and they don't work on XP and if I got a new machine in the future, I will still be able to use the 550ti on it. Still not sure of my next move, might as well renew the whole machine
It's DDR2 Because I can't run DDR3, however I really don't want to run games on high settings or anything, medium or med to low settings would satisfy me. What I'm thinking is that if I got the extra ram it will allow me to run the 7 smoothly, the reason I want 7 is the games I want is starting to leave XP behind and they don't work on XP and if I got a new machine in the future, I will still be able to use the 550ti on it.

Still not sure of my next move, might as well renew the whole machine

Posted 01/04/2013 01:23 PM   
True there are a few games that won't run on DX 9 (and therefore XP) at all, something I didn't take into consideration as there haven't been many up to this point, but I see that Assassins Creed 3 is one of them. [i]"Still not sure of my next move, might as well renew the whole machine" [/i] Your decision, obviously, but if you can afford it now you will save wasting money on DDR 2 RAM and an OS. .
True there are a few games that won't run on DX 9 (and therefore XP) at all, something I
didn't take into consideration as there haven't been many up to this point, but I see that
Assassins Creed 3 is one of them.

"Still not sure of my next move, might as well renew the whole machine"

Your decision, obviously, but if you can afford it now you will save wasting money on
DDR 2 RAM and an OS.

BossDweebe is in his second childhood, or would be if he'd ever left the first.

Posted 01/05/2013 02:28 AM   
Thanks for your help :)
Thanks for your help :)

Posted 01/05/2013 03:13 AM   
Scroll To Top