Windows 8 x64 Fails with Error code: VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE
  1 / 2    
Hi! Just purchased the windows 8 OS and installed it! When i boot up the first time windows says that it encountered a problem and must restart the computer but i don't have to restart it at this time but when i do that the first time windows won't boot i and i get the error code: VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE. Se pic: [img]http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/9240/windows8error.jpg[/img] After this i went into safe mode and did a refresh on the computer so no files where removed but alla the applications where and i am on square one again where windows say that i have encountered a problem and needs to restart so i go to NVIDIAs homepage and install the latest drivers for my Graphic card wich is a GeForce GTX 260. Driver version is 310.70. When i first installed the computer the driver version was 307.xx something. New driver that i installed: [url]http://www.nvidia.com/object/win8-win7-winvista-64bit-310.70-whql-driver.html[/url] Now windows wont even display anything when it boots up, it is just black. Any idea of what i could try? Get an earlier versoin of the driver? Thanks David
Hi!
Just purchased the windows 8 OS and installed it! When i boot up the first time windows says that it encountered a problem and must restart the computer but i don't have to restart it at this time but when i do that the first time windows won't boot i and i get the error code: VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE. Se pic:

After this i went into safe mode and did a refresh on the computer so no files where removed but alla the applications where and i am on square one again where windows say that i have encountered a problem and needs to restart so i go to NVIDIAs homepage and install the latest drivers for my Graphic card wich is a GeForce GTX 260. Driver version is 310.70. When i first installed the computer the driver version was 307.xx something.

New driver that i installed:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/win8-win7-winvista-64bit-310.70-whql-driver.html

Now windows wont even display anything when it boots up, it is just black.

Any idea of what i could try? Get an earlier versoin of the driver?

Thanks

David

Posted 12/20/2012 11:46 AM   
what are the rest of the specs for your pc
what are the rest of the specs for your pc

In Memory of Chris "ChrisRay" Arthington, 1982-2010

CPU:Intel i7 920 @ 3.8(D0), Mainboard:Asus Rampage II Gene, Memory:12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 680+ 4GB, Sound:Creative XFI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro, Monitor:BenQ G2400WDHDD:500GB Spinpoint F3, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Red, 1TB WD BlackCase:NZXT Guardian 921RB, PSU:Corsair 620HX, OS:Windows 7 SP1

Posted 12/20/2012 05:25 PM   
Ya, Same for me. after updating to latest version 310.XX I get this same screen no matter how many times I reinstall win 8 64bit. I even tried uninstalling driver but no luck.
Ya, Same for me. after updating to latest version 310.XX I get this same screen no matter how many times I reinstall win 8 64bit. I even tried uninstalling driver but no luck.

Posted 01/21/2013 02:33 PM   
Does this happen constantly? Mine would do this at any random time. I think the driver 306.97 is best for windows 8 at the moment from what I've experienced. You should disable the automatic driver installation within System Properties> Hardware and Device Installation settings. Then uninstall graphics driver from both control panel and device manager. After this re-enable automatic driver installation. Windows 8 should recognize it as a wddm device and finally install the 306.97 driver! At least this worked for me, might not work for everyone.
Does this happen constantly? Mine would do this at any random time. I think the driver 306.97 is best for windows 8 at the moment from what I've experienced. You should disable the automatic driver installation within System Properties> Hardware and Device Installation settings. Then uninstall graphics driver from both control panel and device manager. After this re-enable automatic driver installation. Windows 8 should recognize it as a wddm device and finally install the 306.97 driver! At least this worked for me, might not work for everyone.

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 Pro 64-bit
CPU: Intel Core i7 4700Q @ 2.40GHz Haswell
RAM: 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28)
Graphics: 3072MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770M (CLEVO/KAPOK Computer)
Hard Drives: 233GB Samsung SSD 840 Series (SSD)

Posted 01/22/2013 02:07 AM   
Thanks to all who started this thread. Phantom#, the actual name of the app you search for in windows8 is: Change device installation settings. I changed it, removed drivers both both locations and restarted and installed the version you noted. So far so good, but my crash as yours here, was very random, so I really won't know for several days. I would have thought the kinks would have been worked out before release, but I guess that's how complex our OS's are today ....
Thanks to all who started this thread. Phantom#, the actual name of the app you search for in windows8 is: Change device installation settings. I changed it, removed drivers both both locations and restarted and installed the version you noted. So far so good, but my crash as yours here, was very random, so I really won't know for several days.

I would have thought the kinks would have been worked out before release, but I guess that's how complex our OS's are today ....

Posted 01/24/2013 05:47 PM   
I also have this problem. I have found it happens with software using DirectShow. I am using Quadro NVS290 with driver version 311.15. Has anyone solved this?
I also have this problem.
I have found it happens with software using DirectShow.

I am using Quadro NVS290 with driver version 311.15.

Has anyone solved this?

Posted 04/14/2013 04:58 AM   
I have this problem on the NVidia Quadro FX 370M, on a Dell Precision M2400 notebook (fully patched/latest bios). Dell don't provide any drivers for Windows 8 (x64bit). I have tried multiple versions of the NVidia drivers - most recently 311.50-quadro-tesla-grid-desktop-win8-win7-winvista-64bit-international-whql.exe. I have also used the NVidia tool to determine the appropriate drivers. It always fails with a BSOD, as soon as you reach the Windows 8 tiles, with the video_tdr_failure. You then need to boot into safe mode and uninstall the NVidia drivers. I have tried a completely clean reinstall of Windows 8 - but with the same result. Currently using the default Windows drivers (Microsoft WDDM v1.2), Windows 8 runs (without the BSOD). But if I switch on hardware acceleration (the default), Internet Explorer 10 is unstable, and so I have to use software rendering instead. But in other respects, Windows 8 seems to be fine using the Windows drivers. It's very frustrating. I am tempted to return to Windows 7, which didn't have any problems.
I have this problem on the NVidia Quadro FX 370M, on a Dell Precision M2400 notebook (fully patched/latest bios). Dell don't provide any drivers for Windows 8 (x64bit). I have tried multiple versions of the NVidia drivers - most recently 311.50-quadro-tesla-grid-desktop-win8-win7-winvista-64bit-international-whql.exe. I have also used the NVidia tool to determine the appropriate drivers.

It always fails with a BSOD, as soon as you reach the Windows 8 tiles, with the video_tdr_failure. You then need to boot into safe mode and uninstall the NVidia drivers.

I have tried a completely clean reinstall of Windows 8 - but with the same result.

Currently using the default Windows drivers (Microsoft WDDM v1.2), Windows 8 runs (without the BSOD). But if I switch on hardware acceleration (the default), Internet Explorer 10 is unstable, and so I have to use software rendering instead. But in other respects, Windows 8 seems to be fine using the Windows drivers.

It's very frustrating. I am tempted to return to Windows 7, which didn't have any problems.

Posted 04/28/2013 11:24 AM   
Update: I just want to say I have found a solution! The solution for me was to downgrade the drivers to the Windows 7 64-bit drivers, which appear to be solid. I downloaded the drivers from the Dell support website, and so my drivers are probably only applicable to Dells, but I believe earlier NVidia Windows 7 x64 drivers should work for others too. The driver version I now see in system info is v8.16.11.8992. Not only is Windows 8 x64 stable (with the NVidia control panel available), but IE10 now works with without software rendering enabled (advanced settings - requires a windows restart). I found the solution here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/hardware/videotdrfailure-on-dell-m2400-laptop/9267d09c-8e5e-4778-a12b-00fb024abd4e?msgId=8801391f-a71c-4bd1-973c-c4a1e8eefc38 I hope this helps others too. It may be an old driver, but at least it works for Windows 8 without the BSOD's.
Update: I just want to say I have found a solution! The solution for me was to downgrade the drivers to the Windows 7 64-bit drivers, which appear to be solid. I downloaded the drivers from the Dell support website, and so my drivers are probably only applicable to Dells, but I believe earlier NVidia Windows 7 x64 drivers should work for others too.

The driver version I now see in system info is v8.16.11.8992.

Not only is Windows 8 x64 stable (with the NVidia control panel available), but IE10 now works with without software rendering enabled (advanced settings - requires a windows restart).

I found the solution here:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/hardware/videotdrfailure-on-dell-m2400-laptop/9267d09c-8e5e-4778-a12b-00fb024abd4e?msgId=8801391f-a71c-4bd1-973c-c4a1e8eefc38

I hope this helps others too. It may be an old driver, but at least it works for Windows 8 without the BSOD's.

Posted 04/28/2013 12:24 PM   
MIke, Thx for trying to help others, but the URL you posted is only for windows 8 consumer preview and can't be used reliably for any other windows 8 version ( see post by Forum moderator )at bottom of that url). cu nl
MIke,

Thx for trying to help others, but the URL you posted is only for windows 8 consumer preview and can't be used reliably for any other windows 8 version ( see post by Forum moderator )at bottom of that url).

cu
nl

Posted 04/28/2013 03:46 PM   
Sorry Neighborlee, but with respect, the recommended drivers from both Nvidia were crashing the system - so who cares if the workaround was found in Windows 8 preview? The point is it works! And I am not running Preview. They are the most reliable drivers that I can find, and I'm not the only one. Other people's results may vary, but I have wasted many hours because of faulty Nvidia drivers. Hopefully this may help someone else avoid the pain. Latest: I have now successfully installed the v8.17.12.8562 (v285.62) Win 7 x64 drivers (per the Microsoft post, instead of Dell ones), and these drivers are successful too.
Sorry Neighborlee, but with respect, the recommended drivers from both Nvidia were crashing the system - so who cares if the workaround was found in Windows 8 preview? The point is it works! And I am not running Preview. They are the most reliable drivers that I can find, and I'm not the only one. Other people's results may vary, but I have wasted many hours because of faulty Nvidia drivers. Hopefully this may help someone else avoid the pain.

Latest: I have now successfully installed the v8.17.12.8562 (v285.62) Win 7 x64 drivers (per the Microsoft post, instead of Dell ones), and these drivers are successful too.

Posted 04/28/2013 07:16 PM   
Thanks Mike, I'm hoping I can make use of this because I've been having the same problem with consistent and persistent BSOD on every boot. I can only get into Windows on safe boot. Do you know if it is possible to downgrade the drivers whilst in safe boot? Are there any other things I should consider whilst trying to downgrade? Sounds like we have a more or less identical hardware set up at least. Thx in advance.
Thanks Mike, I'm hoping I can make use of this because I've been having the same problem with consistent and persistent BSOD on every boot. I can only get into Windows on safe boot.

Do you know if it is possible to downgrade the drivers whilst in safe boot? Are there any other things I should consider whilst trying to downgrade?

Sounds like we have a more or less identical hardware set up at least.

Thx in advance.

Posted 04/29/2013 09:12 PM   
Hi dfawatts. Yes - I was able to uninstall the NVidia drivers in safe mode. Windows 8 will then install the default drivers. These are stable for me (no BSOD), but can caused intermittent freezing problems in IE10. So my solution for IE10 was to then install the Win 7 x64 drivers, as described above. My Windows Update is now displaying the following optional update: "nVidia - Graphics Adapter WDDM1.1, Graphics Adapter WDDM1.2, Other hardware - NVIDIA Quadro FX 370M" - Published 10/03/2013. I suspect that these are the default windows drivers that caused me the IE10 freezing problems (but they may be newer drivers). Your results may vary ;-)
Hi dfawatts. Yes - I was able to uninstall the NVidia drivers in safe mode. Windows 8 will then install the default drivers. These are stable for me (no BSOD), but can caused intermittent freezing problems in IE10. So my solution for IE10 was to then install the Win 7 x64 drivers, as described above.

My Windows Update is now displaying the following optional update:

"nVidia - Graphics Adapter WDDM1.1, Graphics Adapter WDDM1.2, Other hardware - NVIDIA Quadro FX 370M" - Published 10/03/2013.

I suspect that these are the default windows drivers that caused me the IE10 freezing problems (but they may be newer drivers).

Your results may vary ;-)

Posted 05/03/2013 02:22 AM   
If you get this problem on Windows 8, don't even think about upgrading to Windows 8.1. You will get a BSOD, and the update will FAIL, and it WILL just roll back. In other words, you can't upgrade a Dell to Windows 8.1 with this NVidia video card. Thanks Microsoft, Dell, NVidia. Nice work.
If you get this problem on Windows 8, don't even think about upgrading to Windows 8.1. You will get a BSOD, and the update will FAIL, and it WILL just roll back. In other words, you can't upgrade a Dell to Windows 8.1 with this NVidia video card. Thanks Microsoft, Dell, NVidia. Nice work.

Posted 10/18/2013 01:23 PM   
Hi I just solve my same problem with driver version 310.09. Win 8.1 have serius isues with new gf drivers. My notebook is toshiba u500-17f with gf 210m
Hi I just solve my same problem with driver version 310.09. Win 8.1 have serius isues with new gf drivers.
My notebook is toshiba u500-17f with gf 210m

Posted 11/29/2013 04:20 PM   
[quote="scex"]Hi I just solve my same problem with driver version 310.09. Win 8.1 have serius isues with new gf drivers. My notebook is toshiba u500-17f with gf 210m [/quote]Thanks. I've also noticed that Windows update is now showing a WDDM1.3 (31/10/2013) driver. I've not tried it yet for fear it may require the whole safe mode/system restore/rollback shenanigans, again.
scex said:Hi I just solve my same problem with driver version 310.09. Win 8.1 have serius isues with new gf drivers.
My notebook is toshiba u500-17f with gf 210m
Thanks.

I've also noticed that Windows update is now showing a WDDM1.3 (31/10/2013) driver. I've not tried it yet for fear it may require the whole safe mode/system restore/rollback shenanigans, again.

Posted 12/04/2013 02:31 AM   
  1 / 2    
Scroll To Top