Driver update stuck at "Preparing for installation"
  1 / 2    
Received notification of the 310.70 update by Nvidia Geforce Experience Beta this morning, but when I tried to do a custom install of the update, it has been showing a scrolling bar with the message "Preparing for installation..." for over 2 hours now. Attempts to exit result in the message "Geforce Experience is installing updates" and only a "Continue" button. There is no option to cancel. Is it safe to kill the task and try again, or download manually?
Received notification of the 310.70 update by Nvidia Geforce Experience Beta this morning, but when I tried to do a custom install of the update, it has been showing a scrolling bar with the message "Preparing for installation..." for over 2 hours now.

Attempts to exit result in the message "Geforce Experience is installing updates" and only a "Continue" button. There is no option to cancel.

Is it safe to kill the task and try again, or download manually?

Posted 12/18/2012 06:52 PM   
I have had the same issue described above exactly but for the update 314.22. If anyone knows of a solution, please help. Note: I have tried twice now, once resulting in Nvidia being reinstalled to factory default settings.
I have had the same issue described above exactly but for the update 314.22. If anyone knows of a solution, please help.
Note: I have tried twice now, once resulting in Nvidia being reinstalled to factory default settings.

Posted 04/11/2013 12:24 PM   
I have now removed experience and updated the normal way.
I have now removed experience and updated the normal way.

Posted 04/11/2013 12:33 PM   
I installed GeForce Experience just two weeks ago and I just tried to install a driver for the first time (320.18) for my GTX 660Ti and am getting the same problem. The driver will download but get stalled on the 'preparing for installation' screen. Tried killing the task and re-trying through Experience but to no avail. Also tried exiting Experience and downloading the new driver through Device Manager but again, no luck (Win7 says it's already up-to-date...). Any workaround that doesn't involve uninstalling Experience?
I installed GeForce Experience just two weeks ago and I just tried to install a driver for the first time (320.18) for my GTX 660Ti and am getting the same problem. The driver will download but get stalled on the 'preparing for installation' screen.
Tried killing the task and re-trying through Experience but to no avail. Also tried exiting Experience and downloading the new driver through Device Manager but again, no luck (Win7 says it's already up-to-date...).
Any workaround that doesn't involve uninstalling Experience?

Posted 05/24/2013 06:29 PM   
I have solved the problem on my side by running Nvidia Geforce Experience as administrator. That is because during the installation process, there is no prompt asking whether you would like to install the driver or not. I hope that you guys can solved it the same way as I do. :)
I have solved the problem on my side by running Nvidia Geforce Experience as administrator. That is because during the installation process, there is no prompt asking whether you would like to install the driver or not. I hope that you guys can solved it the same way as I do. :)

Posted 07/02/2013 11:51 AM   
Today, I had the very same issue installing the new 320.49 Driver for Nvidia Geforce GTX 660. I'm running Windows 8 64 Bit and I must say BlackJade685 advice was right on point!! When I ran GeForce Experience in Administrator mode...worked like a charm! Hope this helps someone else.
Today, I had the very same issue installing the new 320.49 Driver for Nvidia Geforce GTX 660. I'm running Windows 8 64 Bit and I must say BlackJade685 advice was right on point!! When I ran GeForce Experience in Administrator mode...worked like a charm! Hope this helps someone else.

Posted 07/06/2013 03:32 PM   
Could not say it better then the fellow before me so here we go Today, I had the very same issue installing the new 320.49 Driver for Nvidia Geforce GTX 660. I'm running Windows 8 64 Bit and I must say BlackJade685 advice was right on point!! When I ran GeForce Experience in Administrator mode...worked like a charm! Hope this helps someone else.
Could not say it better then the fellow before me so here we go

Posted 07/21/2013 08:25 PM   
[quote="BlackJade685"]I have solved the problem on my side by running Nvidia Geforce Experience as administrator. That is because during the installation process, there is no prompt asking whether you would like to install the driver or not. I hope that you guys can solved it the same way as I do. :)[/quote] What do you mean running as administrator?
BlackJade685 said:I have solved the problem on my side by running Nvidia Geforce Experience as administrator. That is because during the installation process, there is no prompt asking whether you would like to install the driver or not. I hope that you guys can solved it the same way as I do. :)
What do you mean running as administrator?

Posted 12/18/2013 04:17 AM   
I don't know what I did but had to update GeForce Exp. as it requested and been on it for longtime. Nothing happened. There's no exit it out. I'd kill the task and still doing same thing. 'GeForce 332.21 Driver'
I don't know what I did but had to update GeForce Exp. as it requested and been on it for longtime. Nothing happened. There's no exit it out. I'd kill the task and still doing same thing. 'GeForce 332.21 Driver'

Posted 01/13/2014 11:47 PM   
Well the driver was stuck the several times that I tried, at the end I finish closing the GeForce Experience and installing the driver directly from the C:\NVIDIA\DisplayDriver\GeForce332.21Driver I hope that fix your problem for now..
Well the driver was stuck the several times that I tried, at the end I finish closing the GeForce Experience and installing the driver directly from the C:\NVIDIA\DisplayDriver\GeForce332.21Driver

I hope that fix your problem for now..

Posted 02/11/2014 12:32 AM   
[/quote] What do you mean running as administrator?[/quote] Go to your \NVIDIA Corporation\NVIDIA GeForce Experience folder. Right click GFExperience.exe go to properties, compatibility tab and check run this program as administrator, hit apply. You'll have to terminate gfexperience.exe in task manager and reopen it if it's running. That should solve it for future updates. For whatever reason this was the first time I had this problem with gfexperience so I googled it and this thread came up. Sorry if I'm necroing and thanks for reminding me about administrator. :D
What do you mean running as administrator?

Go to your \NVIDIA Corporation\NVIDIA GeForce Experience folder. Right click GFExperience.exe go to properties, compatibility tab and check run this program as administrator, hit apply. You'll have to terminate gfexperience.exe in task manager and reopen it if it's running. That should solve it for future updates.

For whatever reason this was the first time I had this problem with gfexperience so I googled it and this thread came up. Sorry if I'm necroing and thanks for reminding me about administrator. :D

Posted 02/19/2014 03:17 PM   
Kill Steam. [img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8047884/steam.png[/img] The standalone installer demands that it be exited. It could be that the GeForce Experience doesn't deal with this correctly.
Kill Steam.
The standalone installer demands that it be exited. It could be that the GeForce Experience doesn't deal with this correctly.

Posted 02/20/2014 02:45 AM   
Well it looks like I've run into this problem today (March 11, 2014) with 335.23 driver update. I had to kill the task in task manager on windows 7. I hope there aren't any issues with the update.
Well it looks like I've run into this problem today (March 11, 2014) with 335.23 driver update. I had to kill the task in task manager on windows 7. I hope there aren't any issues with the update.

Posted 03/11/2014 07:15 PM   
[quote="joewho"]Well it looks like I've run into this problem today (March 11, 2014) with 335.23 driver update. I had to kill the task in task manager on windows 7. I hope there aren't any issues with the update.[/quote] The exact same thing happened to me just now, thank you Google! Upgrading from 334.89 to 335.23 it stalled as well, the previous update had no issues.. But thanks to the previous posts running it in administrator mode resolved my issue. However for those of you who do not know, you can also browse to where the NVIDIA GeForce Experience is installed and right click it to run in administrator mode. In my case, Windows 8.1 Pro, it is located here: [code]C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\NVIDIA GeForce Experience[/code] Right click the file "GFExperience.exe" and click "Run as administrator" [img]http://puu.sh/7rWKz[/img] However because you "killed" it in the middle of it's "install" it now thinks it is up to date, so I had to click "Reinstall Driver" to make it rerun the update. [img]http://puu.sh/7rWKh[/img] Afterwards everything seemed to install just fine as seen below: [img]http://puu.sh/7rWJU[/img]
joewho said:Well it looks like I've run into this problem today (March 11, 2014) with 335.23 driver update. I had to kill the task in task manager on windows 7. I hope there aren't any issues with the update.

The exact same thing happened to me just now, thank you Google!

Upgrading from 334.89 to 335.23 it stalled as well, the previous update had no issues.. But thanks to the previous posts running it in administrator mode resolved my issue.

However for those of you who do not know, you can also browse to where the NVIDIA GeForce Experience is installed and right click it to run in administrator mode.

In my case, Windows 8.1 Pro, it is located here:
C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\NVIDIA GeForce Experience

Right click the file "GFExperience.exe" and click "Run as administrator"

However because you "killed" it in the middle of it's "install" it now thinks it is up to date, so I had to click "Reinstall Driver" to make it rerun the update.

Afterwards everything seemed to install just fine as seen below:

Posted 03/11/2014 11:59 PM   
I have tried open wiv administrator and still doesn't install, nividia 23 it gives me option to exspress or custom install and then just says preparing to install, what can i do all the others worked fine, please help noob to pc. Gameing, please respond.
I have tried open wiv administrator and still doesn't install, nividia 23 it gives me option to exspress or custom install and then just says preparing to install, what can i do all the others worked fine, please help noob to pc. Gameing, please respond.

Posted 03/15/2014 12:36 AM   
  1 / 2    
Scroll To Top