310.70 installer fails every time on windows 8 64 bit
  2 / 3    
I had the same problem yesterday; had to refresh Windows 8 just to get the PC to function.
I had the same problem yesterday; had to refresh Windows 8 just to get the PC to function.

Posted 12/18/2012 03:20 PM   
[quote="manoroid"]Omg I'm having the same issues! I can't even revert safely back to the previous ones. I now have no hd audio. What do i do now Nvidia?[/quote] I exactly got the same problem. I installed my new MSI N680 Lightning to my pc. Started it, it installed the driver and then had to shutdown my pc. Had to go to work. Later that day the driver was "gone" and my speaker and microphone didnt worked after that. (OnBoard plugs) I installed the Sound Drivers all over again. I removed them, used Driver Sweeper and restarted. And then reinstalled the driver for the sound. Result, still not working. It even doesnt detect anymore that there IS something plugged-in. And i was only able to install the 306.79 driver. Hope this gets fixed. And i hope that afterwards my sound is working again. :/
manoroid said:Omg I'm having the same issues! I can't even revert safely back to the previous ones.

I now have no hd audio.

What do i do now Nvidia?

I exactly got the same problem.
I installed my new MSI N680 Lightning to my pc. Started it, it installed the driver and then had to shutdown my pc. Had to go to work.

Later that day the driver was "gone" and my speaker and microphone didnt worked after that. (OnBoard plugs) I installed the Sound Drivers all over again. I removed them, used Driver Sweeper and restarted. And then reinstalled the driver for the sound. Result, still not working. It even doesnt detect anymore that there IS something plugged-in.

And i was only able to install the 306.79 driver.

Hope this gets fixed. And i hope that afterwards my sound is working again. :/

Posted 12/18/2012 03:59 PM   
Same problem here on Win7 64bit - tried now 8-15 times from safe mode to manual install from the c drive uncrunch area still no joy.
Same problem here on Win7 64bit - tried now 8-15 times from safe mode to manual install from the c drive uncrunch area still no joy.

Jake Sully In Avatar
With your permission, I will speak now. You would honor me by translating. The Sky People have sent us a message... That they can take whatever they want, and no one can stop 'em. Well we will send them a message. You ride out as fast as the wind can carry you... You tell the other clans to come. You tell them Toruk Makto calls to them! You fly now, with me! My brothers! Sisters! And we will show the Sky People... That they can not take whatever they want! And that this... this is our land! ?

Posted 12/18/2012 07:56 PM   
Nvidia just released a WHQL version of this driver and it works on my machine where the Beta one would not: Version 310.70 - WHQL Release Date Mon Dec 17, 2012 Operating System Windows 7 64-bit Windows 8 64-bit Windows Vista 64-bit Language English (US) File Size 168.55 MB http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/54625 Hope it works for you.
Nvidia just released a WHQL version of this driver and it works on my machine where the Beta one would not:

Version 310.70 - WHQL
Release Date Mon Dec 17, 2012
Operating System Windows 7 64-bit
Windows 8 64-bit
Windows Vista 64-bit
Language English (US)
File Size 168.55 MB

http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/54625

Hope it works for you.

Posted 12/18/2012 11:09 PM   
Mine is doing the same keeps restarting Windows 8 and says windows error occurred and then windows restarts. Or just fails on some Installs Event Viewer Message: "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly." My Driver 310.64 beta driver worked very nice with all my games & apps but then I downloaded the 310.70 & then I couldn't even install the driver without windows crashing. I successfully upgraded my drivers from 306 to 310.64 because of the fixes. Everything went smooth until I upgrade to 310.70. Now I can't even install the 310.70 driver neither the 310.64. The first time my windows crashed with the upgrading to 310.7 then I did a Clean install and windows crashed again then after restart when then where no drivers on windows 8 I Installed the 310.7 driver again then after the installation the HD Audio failed. After that I did another Clean Install and it crashed my windows again. And now I'm on my basis windows 8 drivers & not Nvidia original drivers. Before I Format my PC I want to please know want is wrong and if the format is going to help. My Windows 8 is up to date with all the Windows updates. Regards Jacques Current PC Specs: - Intel i5 3570K - Msi Geforce gtx680 - 16GB Corsiar Ram - Vertex 4 SSD - Asrock extreme 4 MotherBoard - Windows 8 64Bit
Mine is doing the same keeps restarting Windows 8 and says windows error occurred and then windows restarts. Or just fails on some Installs

Event Viewer Message: "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

My Driver 310.64 beta driver worked very nice with all my games & apps but then I downloaded the 310.70 & then I couldn't even install the driver without windows crashing. I successfully upgraded my drivers from 306 to 310.64 because of the fixes. Everything went smooth until I upgrade to 310.70. Now I can't even install the 310.70 driver neither the 310.64.

The first time my windows crashed with the upgrading to 310.7 then I did a Clean install and windows crashed again then after restart when then where no drivers on windows 8 I Installed the 310.7 driver again then after the installation the HD Audio failed. After that I did another Clean Install and it crashed my windows again. And now I'm on my basis windows 8 drivers & not Nvidia original drivers.

Before I Format my PC I want to please know want is wrong and if the format is going to help. My Windows 8 is up to date with all the Windows updates.

Regards
Jacques

Current PC Specs:
- Intel i5 3570K
- Msi Geforce gtx680
- 16GB Corsiar Ram
- Vertex 4 SSD
- Asrock extreme 4 MotherBoard
- Windows 8 64Bit

Posted 12/19/2012 08:35 AM   
Same problem here. windows 8 x64. Restart computer and black monitor, restartimg again. This update it is a big shit. i hace tetst to install 3 times and always same i ust format again, and i go to intall 306.23. I hope nvidia solve soon
Same problem here. windows 8 x64. Restart computer and black monitor, restartimg again.
This update it is a big shit.
i hace tetst to install 3 times and always same i ust format again, and i go to intall 306.23.
I hope nvidia solve soon

Posted 12/19/2012 12:11 PM   
I also have the same problem. Just can't get that HD audio driver installed. I have tried unticking only "NVIDIA Update" but the HD audio driver still fails to install. If I untick the HD audio driver everything else installs with no problems. Also tried to go back to 306.97 drivers but they also failed now, when they installed perfectly less than 2 weeks ago after I built my new desktop...weird. Has anyone tried logging the installation to check what is going on? See the link below. http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3171 I would do it myself but I am so sick and tired of uninstalling and reinstalling...I've got everything installed except the audio driver so I am happy with that.
I also have the same problem. Just can't get that HD audio driver installed. I have tried unticking only "NVIDIA Update" but the HD audio driver still fails to install. If I untick the HD audio driver everything else installs with no problems.

Also tried to go back to 306.97 drivers but they also failed now, when they installed perfectly less than 2 weeks ago after I built my new desktop...weird.

Has anyone tried logging the installation to check what is going on? See the link below.
http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3171

I would do it myself but I am so sick and tired of uninstalling and reinstalling...I've got everything installed except the audio driver so I am happy with that.

Posted 12/19/2012 12:56 PM   
I am able to install the 310.70 WHQL drivers with no error message, however attempting to reboot and log back into windows is causing my screen to cycle on and off. I had to revert back to 306.97 WHQL. Win 8 Pro x86_64 FX-4300 990FX-UD3 F9 Plextor M3 Pro GTX 550Ti Seasonic 560w Gskill 8GB 1333
I am able to install the 310.70 WHQL drivers with no error message, however attempting to reboot and log back into windows is causing my screen to cycle on and off. I had to revert back to 306.97 WHQL.

Win 8 Pro x86_64
FX-4300
990FX-UD3 F9
Plextor M3 Pro
GTX 550Ti
Seasonic 560w
Gskill 8GB 1333

Posted 12/19/2012 06:26 PM   
I install the driver with no problems, but restarting the pc and log in the monitor goes black .. the only solution is enter again in safe mode and back to driver 306. Windows 8 Enterprise 64 bits, updated. Fix this please ...
I install the driver with no problems, but restarting the pc and log in the monitor goes black .. the only solution is enter again in safe mode and back to driver 306.

Windows 8 Enterprise 64 bits, updated. Fix this please ...

Posted 12/19/2012 07:45 PM   
If you check out the release notes for 310.70 driver released Dec. 17, page 28, it explains what you have to do: Flickering Black Screen After Installing R310 Drivers on Windows 8 Issue After installing the R310 driver on Windows 8, the subsequent reboot results in a black or flickering screen. Root Cause This occurs because Windows Update performed a background installation of a Release 304 driver, which requires a reboot to complete the installation. After installing the Release 310 driver and then rebooting the system, installation of both the Release 304 as well as the Release 310 is completed, resulting in conflicting driver binaries and the black/flickering screen. Workaround - Prevention To avoid the issue, reboot the system before installing the Release 310 driver. Alternately, you can check the driver status under the Device Manager and perform the reboot if the Device Manager indicates that a restart is needed. Then install the driver. Workaround - Recovery If you did not perform the necessary reboot prior to installing the driver and now encounter the black screen, do the following: 1 Reboot in Safe Mode. 2 Uninstall the driver. 3 Disconnect from the internet and then restart the system. 4 In normal mode, install the new driver.
If you check out the release notes for 310.70 driver released Dec. 17, page 28, it explains what you have to do:
Flickering Black Screen After Installing R310 Drivers on Windows 8 Issue
After installing the R310 driver on Windows 8, the subsequent reboot results in a black or
flickering screen.
Root Cause
This occurs because Windows Update performed a background installation of a Release
304 driver, which requires a reboot to complete the installation. After installing the
Release 310 driver and then rebooting the system, installation of both the Release 304 as
well as the Release 310 is completed, resulting in conflicting driver binaries and the
black/flickering screen.
Workaround - Prevention
To avoid the issue, reboot the system before installing the Release 310 driver.
Alternately, you can check the driver status under the Device Manager and perform the
reboot if the Device Manager indicates that a restart is needed. Then install the driver.
Workaround - Recovery
If you did not perform the necessary reboot prior to installing the driver and now
encounter the black screen, do the following:
1 Reboot in Safe Mode.
2 Uninstall the driver.
3 Disconnect from the internet and then restart the system.
4 In normal mode, install the new driver.

Posted 12/19/2012 09:11 PM   
This killed my machines as well - to the level I had to start a complete rebuild. After upgrade to Windows 8 everything was proceeding well, then installed latest NVidia drivers and get some way then blue screens (with the nice new friendly icon - arghhh). First time this happened, it got in a loop crashing as it booted, so no way other than system restore/complete restore. Second attempt same, so started on new build. Better this time - still crashed on upgrade, but booted after. In my case, seems that there is a clash between the NVidia HD Audio driver and a Creative X-Fi Titanium as this device "disappeared" and became an HD Audio device. After uninstalling the NVidia HD Audio, letting Windows Update provide a driver for the X-Fi and then reinstalling the latest drivers from Creative, it has all started to work again. Final test (taking a risk, but only after I had another backup and system restore point) was to just add the NVidia HD Audio drivers ---- and lo and behold, it crashed again! **** SO COME ON NVIDIA **** THIS NEEDS AND URGENT FIX **** IT IS CAUSING ALL SORTS OF ISSUES FOR A LOAD OF PEOPLE !!!
This killed my machines as well - to the level I had to start a complete rebuild. After upgrade to Windows 8 everything was proceeding well, then installed latest NVidia drivers and get some way then blue screens (with the nice new friendly icon - arghhh). First time this happened, it got in a loop crashing as it booted, so no way other than system restore/complete restore. Second attempt same, so started on new build. Better this time - still crashed on upgrade, but booted after.

In my case, seems that there is a clash between the NVidia HD Audio driver and a Creative X-Fi Titanium as this device "disappeared" and became an HD Audio device. After uninstalling the NVidia HD Audio, letting Windows Update provide a driver for the X-Fi and then reinstalling the latest drivers from Creative, it has all started to work again.

Final test (taking a risk, but only after I had another backup and system restore point) was to just add the NVidia HD Audio drivers ---- and lo and behold, it crashed again!

**** SO COME ON NVIDIA **** THIS NEEDS AND URGENT FIX ****
IT IS CAUSING ALL SORTS OF ISSUES FOR A LOAD OF PEOPLE !!!

Posted 12/20/2012 12:35 AM   
I've got a hunch this has to do with the account "UpdatusUser" that is created during the install by NVIDIA for updates. Why do I say this? Because I went into user profiles and noticed about 10 accounts called "Account Unknown" which I'm assuming were created during each failed install that I tried. If you have had the install fail on you, could you please do this for me: Right Click Computer --> Properties --> Advanced System Settings --> 'Advanced' Tab --> 'Settings' under User Profiles. Do you have lots of 'Account Unknown' profiles like me? Please check as I think I'm on to something...It's the only reason that could explain why I have all those unknown accounts on a pretty fresh install of windows 8.
I've got a hunch this has to do with the account "UpdatusUser" that is created during the install by NVIDIA for updates. Why do I say this? Because I went into user profiles and noticed about 10 accounts called "Account Unknown" which I'm assuming were created during each failed install that I tried. If you have had the install fail on you, could you please do this for me:
Right Click Computer --> Properties --> Advanced System Settings --> 'Advanced' Tab --> 'Settings' under User Profiles.

Do you have lots of 'Account Unknown' profiles like me? Please check as I think I'm on to something...It's the only reason that could explain why I have all those unknown accounts on a pretty fresh install of windows 8.

Posted 12/20/2012 10:33 AM   
on clean win8 install... not a single thing in my update pack will install... ftl...
on clean win8 install... not a single thing in my update pack will install... ftl...

Posted 12/24/2012 09:59 PM   
on clean win8 install... not a single thing in my update pack will install... infact... i plugged in the 680 i just got from the store, went to update drivers... and nowwww im stuck @ 800x600 on one monitor...
on clean win8 install... not a single thing in my update pack will install... infact... i plugged in the 680 i just got from the store, went to update drivers... and nowwww im stuck @ 800x600 on one monitor...

Posted 12/24/2012 10:01 PM   
newest issue... i cant even get the installer to run now... says the pack is 100% corrupt
newest issue... i cant even get the installer to run now... says the pack is 100% corrupt

Posted 12/24/2012 10:05 PM   
  2 / 3    
Scroll To Top