This GPU supports up to 2 displays >>
I have 2 GeForce GTX 670m graphics cards in my laptop, and I am still only able to connect 2 displays at a time. I have an HDMI and a DisplayPort on the back of my computer, and I would love to use both of them along with my laptop screen, but I am unable. Please someone tell me there's a way!
I have 2 GeForce GTX 670m graphics cards in my laptop, and I am still only able to connect 2 displays at a time. I have an HDMI and a DisplayPort on the back of my computer, and I would love to use both of them along with my laptop screen, but I am unable. Please someone tell me there's a way!

Posted 12/03/2012 01:56 PM   
Especially because I keep coming across this: Like the reference GTX 680, the GeForce GTX 670 is equipped with two dual-link DVI outputs, one HDMI 1.4a connector and one DisplayPort version 1.2: [img]http://www.xbitlabs.com/cms/include/image.php?src=/images/graphics/geforce-gtx-670/03_gtx67_int_big.jpg&width=400&height=151&cache=1&quality=100&aspect=0&format=[/img] Thus, the GeForce GTX 670 can work with multi-monitor configurations (up to 4 displays simultaneously).
Especially because I keep coming across this:
Like the reference GTX 680, the GeForce GTX 670 is equipped with two dual-link DVI outputs, one HDMI 1.4a connector and one DisplayPort version 1.2:

Thus, the GeForce GTX 670 can work with multi-monitor configurations (up to 4 displays simultaneously).

Posted 12/03/2012 06:55 PM   
However, my computer only has the HDMI and DisplayPort, no DVI outputs.
However, my computer only has the HDMI and DisplayPort, no DVI outputs.

Posted 12/03/2012 06:56 PM   
I have exactly the same problem, down to every last word. I believe the issue is that each graphics card on the SLI setup can run 2 displays each, totaling 4, however because of how our laptops have been wired, all of our display inputs go to the one graphics card, which is unable to support 3 on its own (the laptop screen, and the two additional monitors). You can see this in the Nvidia SLI menu in the control panel - all the input pictures are under the main graphics card. The laptop I have is the Clevo P370m. I'm considering opening it up and having a look at the connections, or calling my supplier and seeing if they can do something about it. Keep this updated if you make any progress because I'm sure more people have this problem
I have exactly the same problem, down to every last word.
I believe the issue is that each graphics card on the SLI setup can run 2 displays each, totaling 4, however because of how our laptops have been wired, all of our display inputs go to the one graphics card, which is unable to support 3 on its own (the laptop screen, and the two additional monitors). You can see this in the Nvidia SLI menu in the control panel - all the input pictures are under the main graphics card.

The laptop I have is the Clevo P370m. I'm considering opening it up and having a look at the connections, or calling my supplier and seeing if they can do something about it. Keep this updated if you make any progress because I'm sure more people have this problem

Posted 01/22/2013 10:59 AM   
Grr, alright, please let me know as well if you hear anything from your supplier regarding this. I would open mine up, but it's a company laptop and I don't want to void any warranties. Thank you for your reply Septicemia!
Grr, alright, please let me know as well if you hear anything from your supplier regarding this. I would open mine up, but it's a company laptop and I don't want to void any warranties. Thank you for your reply Septicemia!

Posted 01/22/2013 12:41 PM   
Mobile and desktop GPU are very different. The mobile model are slimmed down versions to reduce heat and power usage, so some features are removed. Nvidia just uses the numbering scheme as it uses the same tech, but relative class in terms of laptop power.
Mobile and desktop GPU are very different. The mobile model are slimmed down versions to reduce heat and power usage, so some features are removed.

Nvidia just uses the numbering scheme as it uses the same tech, but relative class in terms of laptop power.

eVGA Z68 SLI | Intel Core i5-3570K @ 4.5 GHz | Corsair Hydro Series H80i
16GB G.Skill Sniper Series DDR3 | MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G SLIed | OCZ ZX 1000W
OCZ Agility3 120 GB SSD + Samsung 850 Pro 256 GB SSD
Samsung UN55D6000 + Samsung T240
Win8.1 Pro x64 / WEI - 8.2 - 8.2 - 8.9 - 8.9 - 7.9
3DMark Fire Strike: 15648
F@H Team: 142900

Posted 01/22/2013 08:51 PM   
The 670M is not actually a 600 at all. It does not have a Kepler GPU. It's a rebranded 570M, with a Fermi GPU. The 500 series cards only support 2 monitors. The GTX670MX is the real 600 - a GTX660, actually.
The 670M is not actually a 600 at all. It does not have a Kepler GPU. It's a rebranded 570M, with a Fermi GPU. The 500 series cards only support 2 monitors.

The GTX670MX is the real 600 - a GTX660, actually.

Core i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz
Corsair H100 water cooler
8GB Patriot Viper DDR3 @ 2400MHz
Gigabyte Z87X-OC mobo
Gigabyte GTX780Ti (1202MHz GPU, 7000MHz VRAM)
Soundblaster Z with 5.1 speakers
QPAD QH-90 Headset
112GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD
240GB OCZ Vertex 4 SSD
Corsair Carbide 500R case (white)
Akasa PowerXtreme 1200W PSU
HP ZR2740W 2560 x 1440 27" IPS panel
Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit

Posted 01/22/2013 11:32 PM   
I've contacted the manufacturer and I've been told that the SLI setup should allow the outputs to go to different graphics cards. I'm waiting on more information, and sending an email containing images of the problem (in the Nvidia Control Panel). Hopefully it will be a driver issue and can be fixed easily.
I've contacted the manufacturer and I've been told that the SLI setup should allow the outputs to go to different graphics cards. I'm waiting on more information, and sending an email containing images of the problem (in the Nvidia Control Panel).

Hopefully it will be a driver issue and can be fixed easily.

Posted 01/23/2013 01:03 AM   
[quote="Discordia"]The 670M is not actually a 600 at all. It does not have a Kepler GPU. It's a rebranded 570M, with a Fermi GPU. The 500 series cards only support 2 monitors. The GTX670MX is the real 600 - a GTX660, actually. [/quote] >500 series cards only support 2 monitors We understand that, however we both have an SLI setup (2 GPU's), so the maximum potential displays should be 4 (2*2). Its a simple matter of getting the other GPU to do the work, whether its a SLI issue, driver issue, or the output goes directly two one gpu instead of through the sli
Discordia said:The 670M is not actually a 600 at all. It does not have a Kepler GPU. It's a rebranded 570M, with a Fermi GPU. The 500 series cards only support 2 monitors.

The GTX670MX is the real 600 - a GTX660, actually.

>500 series cards only support 2 monitors

We understand that, however we both have an SLI setup (2 GPU's), so the maximum potential displays should be 4 (2*2). Its a simple matter of getting the other GPU to do the work, whether its a SLI issue, driver issue, or the output goes directly two one gpu instead of through the sli

Posted 01/23/2013 01:10 AM   
Thank you all so much for the responses, and Septicemia, I've got my fingers crossed too!
Thank you all so much for the responses, and Septicemia, I've got my fingers crossed too!

Posted 01/23/2013 04:22 PM   
Sad news; 1. Called the manufacturers and the worst case scenario was confirmed: due to the SLI customisation being an optional extra, the computer isn't designed for the SLI setup. As such, only one GPU is directly connected to the motherboard, which has hardwired connections between the MXM it is mounted in and the video outputs. The SLI setup simply adds another card on top of it, linked to the CPU via the SLI cable, but without connecting the second card to any video outputs. 2. Opened up the laptop to look at this myself (luckily there was no warranty sticker or anything), and this was confirmed. The second GPU is put on top of the first, in another MXM which is connected to the CPU via an SLI cable. There is no utilisation of the video output ports on it. Thus, only two displays are supported by the laptop. If you can be bothered, I'm sure you could hire someone to change that for you, but it's simply impossible for your average bloke with a soldering iron to fix it. There's thermal pads that need to be replaced and you need to have the precision to alter tracks on the PCB to be able to fix it properly. As an additional note, I have been searching for other options to utilise my spare monitor, and have come across a couple of programmes, two of the most notable being: a)"Synergy" (http://synergy-foss.org/) Freeware -This programme sends mouse and keyboard movement over a network, allowing you to control multiple computers with one computer's mouse/pad & keyboard. It imitates a seamless link between these multiple computers by allowing you to switch between computers by moving to the appropriate edge of your monitor(s). For me, I have the left and middle screen devoted to my laptop, and then the right screen devoted to a server, yet i can move my mouse between all three monitors as if they were running off one computer. b)"MaxiVista" (http://www.maxivista.com/) Costs from $40~100 -This is a fucking expensive programme that creates a virtual VGA connection (I'm not sure if you can choose what graphics card that run's on but you should be able to), and then sends the vga data over a network to another computer, which then displays this. In effect, it extends a computer's display to another computer's monitor.
Sad news;

1. Called the manufacturers and the worst case scenario was confirmed: due to the SLI customisation being an optional extra, the computer isn't designed for the SLI setup. As such, only one GPU is directly connected to the motherboard, which has hardwired connections between the MXM it is mounted in and the video outputs. The SLI setup simply adds another card on top of it, linked to the CPU via the SLI cable, but without connecting the second card to any video outputs.

2. Opened up the laptop to look at this myself (luckily there was no warranty sticker or anything), and this was confirmed. The second GPU is put on top of the first, in another MXM which is connected to the CPU via an SLI cable. There is no utilisation of the video output ports on it.

Thus, only two displays are supported by the laptop. If you can be bothered, I'm sure you could hire someone to change that for you, but it's simply impossible for your average bloke with a soldering iron to fix it. There's thermal pads that need to be replaced and you need to have the precision to alter tracks on the PCB to be able to fix it properly.

As an additional note, I have been searching for other options to utilise my spare monitor, and have come across a couple of programmes, two of the most notable being:
a)"Synergy" (http://synergy-foss.org/) Freeware
-This programme sends mouse and keyboard movement over a network, allowing you to control multiple computers with one computer's mouse/pad & keyboard. It imitates a seamless link between these multiple computers by allowing you to switch between computers by moving to the appropriate edge of your monitor(s). For me, I have the left and middle screen devoted to my laptop, and then the right screen devoted to a server, yet i can move my mouse between all three monitors as if they were running off one computer.
b)"MaxiVista" (http://www.maxivista.com/) Costs from $40~100
-This is a fucking expensive programme that creates a virtual VGA connection (I'm not sure if you can choose what graphics card that run's on but you should be able to), and then sends the vga data over a network to another computer, which then displays this. In effect, it extends a computer's display to another computer's monitor.

Posted 01/25/2013 01:07 AM   
Scroll To Top