GTX 680 - Display Driver has stopped responding
  1 / 2    
I have had this error ever since I bought this card. Basically, whenever I play a game (it doesn't matter which one) The game will stop, the screen will go black, and then the game will return. When it returns, it has degraded performance - basically, my framerate is halved. When I exit the game, I have a "display driver has stopped responding and recovered" message waiting for me. Some things to note: - If I alt-tab in and out of the game and/or turn v-sync on and off, I can get my framerate to return to normal. This error usually only occurs one time while playing games, and it happens randomly, but recently I played Planetside 2, and it happened like 5 times in around 90 minutes. - This error only happens in games. Watching videos is fine, video/photo editing is fine, and I even tried to reproduce it in Heavenly and 3DMark benchmark, and it doesn't occur. - Games I have played where this has occurred: Anno 2070 Diablo 3 Guild Wars 2 Team Fortress 2 Starcraft 2 SWTOR Firefall beta Planetside 2 XCOM: Enemy Unknown Super Monday Night Combat Borderlands 2 DC Online City of Heroes I have played some older games, like BG2 and Fallout Tactics, and this error didn't occur. - It doesn't matter if the card is stock or OC'd - it happens regardless. - This error is not due to overheating. My temps remain within normal levels. - I have used a number of patches: 301.10 301.42 304.79 306.02 306.23 306.97 and this error still occurs. I contacted Zotac and explained this issue to them, and this was there response: "We recently had a meeting about this issue and NVIDIA is working on the problem. It is not just our card having these issues other NVIDIA sellers experiencing this error. You may want to contact NVIDIA and confirm they are aware of this issue they may provide some support. If you contact them please let me know the outcome." ^ that was in September. - I never contacted Nvidia, because I was (and still am) unable to find some sort of customer service/technical support email address. Is anyone else experiencing this issue, and if so, were you able to fix it, or is this simply an unstable card? Here are some of my specs: ------------------ System Information ------------------ Time of this report: 11/22/2012, 01:57:32 Machine name: HAF-X Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.120503-2030) Language: English (Regional Setting: English) System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. System Model: Z68X-UD3H-B3 BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.6GHz Memory: 8192MB RAM Available OS Memory: 8176MB RAM Page File: 2849MB used, 6347MB available Windows Dir: C:Windows DirectX Version: DirectX 11 DX Setup Parameters: Not found User DPI Setting: Using System DPI System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent) DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode --------------- Display Devices --------------- Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 Manufacturer: NVIDIA Chip type: GeForce GTX 680 DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC Device Key: EnumPCIVEN_10DE&DEV_1180&SUBSYS_125519DA&REV_A1 Display Memory: 4042 MB Dedicated Memory: 1994 MB Shared Memory: 2047 MB Current Mode: 1920 x 1200 (32 bit) (59Hz) Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor Monitor Model: BenQ 241VW Monitor Id: BNQ76F6 Native Mode: 1920 x 1200(p) (59.950Hz) Output Type: DVI Driver Name: nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um Driver File Version: 9.18.0013.0697 (English) Driver Version: 9.18.13.697 DDI Version: 11 Driver Model: WDDM 1.1 Driver Attributes: Final Retail Driver Date/Size: 10/2/2012 17:21:00, 18252136 bytes WHQL Logo'd: Yes WHQL Date Stamp: Device Identifier: {D7B71E3E-52C0-11CF-D378-58321CC2C435} Vendor ID: 0x10DE Device ID: 0x1180 SubSys ID: 0x125519DA Revision ID: 0x00A1 Driver Strong Name: oem40.inf:NVIDIA_SetA_Devices.NTamd64.6.1:Section065:9.18.13.697:pciven_10de&dev_1180 Rank Of Driver: 00E02001 Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_A ModeMPEG2_C ModeVC1_C ModeWMV9_C D3D9 Overlay: Supported DXVA-HD: Supported DDraw Status: Enabled D3D Status: Enabled AGP Status: Enabled
I have had this error ever since I bought this card. Basically, whenever I play a game (it doesn't matter which one) The game will stop, the screen will go black, and then the game will return. When it returns, it has degraded performance - basically, my framerate is halved. When I exit the game, I have a "display driver has stopped responding and recovered" message waiting for me.

Some things to note:

- If I alt-tab in and out of the game and/or turn v-sync on and off, I can get my framerate to return to normal. This error usually only occurs one time while playing games, and it happens randomly, but recently I played Planetside 2, and it happened like 5 times in around 90 minutes.

- This error only happens in games. Watching videos is fine, video/photo editing is fine, and I even tried to reproduce it in Heavenly and 3DMark benchmark, and it doesn't occur.

- Games I have played where this has occurred:

Anno 2070
Diablo 3
Guild Wars 2
Team Fortress 2
Starcraft 2
SWTOR
Firefall beta
Planetside 2
XCOM: Enemy Unknown
Super Monday Night Combat
Borderlands 2
DC Online
City of Heroes

I have played some older games, like BG2 and Fallout Tactics, and this error didn't occur.

- It doesn't matter if the card is stock or OC'd - it happens regardless.
- This error is not due to overheating. My temps remain within normal levels.
- I have used a number of patches:

and this error still occurs.

I contacted Zotac and explained this issue to them, and this was there response:

"We recently had a meeting about this issue and NVIDIA is working on the problem. It is not just our card having these issues other NVIDIA sellers experiencing this error. You may want to contact NVIDIA and confirm they are aware of this issue they may provide some support. If you contact them please let me know the outcome."

^ that was in September.

- I never contacted Nvidia, because I was (and still am) unable to find some sort of customer service/technical support email address.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue, and if so, were you able to fix it, or is this simply an unstable card?

Here are some of my specs:

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 11/22/2012, 01:57:32
Machine name: HAF-X
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.120503-2030)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model: Z68X-UD3H-B3
BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8176MB RAM
Page File: 2849MB used, 6347MB available
Windows Dir: C:Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce GTX 680
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: EnumPCIVEN_10DE&DEV_1180&SUBSYS_125519DA&REV_A1
Display Memory: 4042 MB
Dedicated Memory: 1994 MB
Shared Memory: 2047 MB
Current Mode: 1920 x 1200 (32 bit) (59Hz)
Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
Monitor Model: BenQ 241VW
Monitor Id: BNQ76F6
Native Mode: 1920 x 1200(p) (59.950Hz)
Output Type: DVI
Driver Name: nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um
Driver File Version: 9.18.0013.0697 (English)
Driver Version: 9.18.13.697
DDI Version: 11
Driver Model: WDDM 1.1
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 10/2/2012 17:21:00, 18252136 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
WHQL Date Stamp:
Device Identifier: {D7B71E3E-52C0-11CF-D378-58321CC2C435}
Vendor ID: 0x10DE
Device ID: 0x1180
SubSys ID: 0x125519DA
Revision ID: 0x00A1
Driver Strong Name: oem40.inf:NVIDIA_SetA_Devices.NTamd64.6.1:Section065:9.18.13.697:pciven_10de&dev_1180
Rank Of Driver: 00E02001
Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_A ModeMPEG2_C ModeVC1_C ModeWMV9_C

D3D9 Overlay: Supported
DXVA-HD: Supported
DDraw Status: Enabled
D3D Status: Enabled
AGP Status: Enabled

Posted 11/22/2012 08:19 AM   
Hi Here is a list of my experiance: red screen of death >> mostly happen at games. i tried around 5 or 6 games. currently mass effects 3 is the only game a can play. i tried two screen settings 800*600 (default settings) and 1920*1080. 800*600 works fine, other crahes. and i got it a few times, when the computer was idle or when i switched from one movie to an other (using zune). black screen with the message on the screen "out of range" >> a few times, when the computer was idle. black screen with the message on screen "no signal" >> i could (did not try recently) force it by running the windows task to set/find the "windows performance index". and i got it a few times, when the computer was idle. reboot ends up with the black screen with the message "no signal" >> i cannt reboot, lets say have i installed a programm and need to reboot. with the reboot, the screen goes black and stays black. and it gets event harder,... i need to wait around 15 minutes (yes minutes). and yes i pluged out the power and even press the powerbutton to use up all stored energy. after 15 minutes, i can reboot and the screen works. i'm not sure if this problem is a separate one. it just, its also a black screen. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- i also had this problems with the earlier nividia drivers. in my point of view, each time i have one of these problems, i have to turn of my computer the hard way (reset button, power butten, wait,...). i hope who ever cause this is working really hard on it. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- here some info about my card. and all other drivers (windows,...) are up to date. NVIDIA Systeminformationen-Bericht erstellt am: 11/24/2012 00:24:30 Name des Systems: PPOWER [Anzeige] Betriebssystem: Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit (Service Pack 1) DirectX-Version: 11.0 GPU-Prozessor: GeForce GTX 680 Treiberversion: 306.97 DirectX-Support: 11.1 CUDA-Kerne: 1536 Kerntakt: 1019 MHz Speicher-Datenrate: 6008 MHz Speicherschnittstelle: 256-Bit Gesamter verfügbarer Grafikspeicher: 4095 MB Dedizierter Videospeicher: 2048 MB GDDR5 System-Videospeicher: 0 MB Freigegebener Systemspeicher: 2047 MB Video-BIOS-Version: 80.04.09.00.C2 IRQ: 16 Bus: PCI Express x16 Gen2
Hi

Here is a list of my experiance:

red screen of death
>> mostly happen at games. i tried around 5 or 6 games. currently mass effects 3 is the only game a can play. i tried two screen settings 800*600 (default settings) and 1920*1080. 800*600 works fine, other crahes. and i got it a few times, when the computer was idle or when i switched from one movie to an other (using zune).

black screen with the message on the screen "out of range"
>> a few times, when the computer was idle.

black screen with the message on screen "no signal"
>> i could (did not try recently) force it by running the windows task to set/find the "windows performance index". and i got it a few times, when the computer was idle.

reboot ends up with the black screen with the message "no signal"
>> i cannt reboot, lets say have i installed a programm and need to reboot. with the reboot, the screen goes black and stays black. and it gets event harder,... i need to wait around 15 minutes (yes minutes). and yes i pluged out the power and even press the powerbutton to use up all stored energy. after 15 minutes, i can reboot and the screen works.

i'm not sure if this problem is a separate one. it just, its also a black screen.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i also had this problems with the earlier nividia drivers. in my point of view, each time i have one of these problems, i have to turn of my computer the hard way (reset button, power butten, wait,...).

i hope who ever cause this is working really hard on it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

here some info about my card. and all other drivers (windows,...) are up to date.

NVIDIA Systeminformationen-Bericht erstellt am: 11/24/2012 00:24:30
Name des Systems: PPOWER

[Anzeige]
Betriebssystem: Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit (Service Pack 1)
DirectX-Version: 11.0
GPU-Prozessor: GeForce GTX 680
Treiberversion: 306.97
DirectX-Support: 11.1
CUDA-Kerne: 1536
Kerntakt: 1019 MHz
Speicher-Datenrate: 6008 MHz
Speicherschnittstelle: 256-Bit
Gesamter verfügbarer Grafikspeicher: 4095 MB
Dedizierter Videospeicher: 2048 MB GDDR5
System-Videospeicher: 0 MB
Freigegebener Systemspeicher: 2047 MB
Video-BIOS-Version: 80.04.09.00.C2
IRQ: 16
Bus: PCI Express x16 Gen2

Posted 11/24/2012 12:11 AM   
I am having the same issue, it started when I was playing CS:GO, I will play Guild Wars 2 for a while and see if the same thing happens maybe. I have looked around and there seems to be no definitive answer. I am running a memtest now just to be sure. If you find a solution I would love to hear from you! I am just going to swap it out with another 680 and see if it works fine. Have you tested your PSU? Also, about contacting NVIDIA, they really don't like it, but you can always just mail their support e-mail on the store, and ask for help there.
I am having the same issue, it started when I was playing CS:GO, I will play Guild Wars 2 for a while and see if the same thing happens maybe. I have looked around and there seems to be no definitive answer. I am running a memtest now just to be sure. If you find a solution I would love to hear from you! I am just going to swap it out with another 680 and see if it works fine. Have you tested your PSU?

Also, about contacting NVIDIA, they really don't like it, but you can always just mail their support e-mail on the store, and ask for help there.

Posted 11/28/2012 11:59 PM   
I have the same issue. I run a BFG 1000 watt PSU that was running three GTX 470's and a quad core CPU with zero problems. I upgraded to just one EVGA GTX 670 FTW and all was well until the 306 drivers came out. Then I started getting artifacts { lines , Blue / Green squares } Black screens , Driver has Stopped responding messages. I rolled back the drivers to 301. And magically the problem is still there. I installed one of my GTX 470's in without changing a damn thing and my games run fine. The problem with the 670 has gotten so bad I can't play a game more than 45 seconds without something going wiggy and having to hard reset my comp. It is NOT a PSU issue. It is NOT a Mainboard issue. It is most specifically related to the new 670. Nvidia /failed on this one. It's a shame. I have always bought Nvidia. It may be time to switch to the ATI band wagon...
I have the same issue. I run a BFG 1000 watt PSU that was running three GTX 470's and a quad core CPU with zero problems. I upgraded to just one EVGA GTX 670 FTW and all was well until the 306 drivers came out. Then I started getting artifacts { lines , Blue / Green squares } Black screens , Driver has Stopped responding messages. I rolled back the drivers to 301. And magically the problem is still there. I installed one of my GTX 470's in without changing a damn thing and my games run fine.

The problem with the 670 has gotten so bad I can't play a game more than 45 seconds without something going wiggy and having to hard reset my comp. It is NOT a PSU issue. It is NOT a Mainboard issue. It is most specifically related to the new 670. Nvidia /failed on this one. It's a shame. I have always bought Nvidia. It may be time to switch to the ATI band wagon...

Posted 12/01/2012 09:00 AM   
[quote="GoldString"] I have the same issue. I run a BFG 1000 watt PSU that was running three GTX 470's and a quad core CPU with zero problems. I upgraded to just one EVGA GTX 670 FTW and all was well until the 306 drivers came out. Then I started getting artifacts { lines , Blue / Green squares } Black screens , Driver has Stopped responding messages. I rolled back the drivers to 301. And magically the problem is still there. I installed one of my GTX 470's in without changing a damn thing and my games run fine. The problem with the 670 has gotten so bad I can't play a game more than 45 seconds without something going wiggy and having to hard reset my comp. It is NOT a PSU issue. It is NOT a Mainboard issue. It is most specifically related to the new 670. Nvidia /failed on this one. It's a shame. I have always bought Nvidia. It may be time to switch to the ATI band wagon...[/quote] Almost identical thing happened on my GTX680 4 gig. The 3.06 patch borked the card and rolling back to earlier drivers does not fix the issue. My thread has some things that might restore some functionality, but with each new driver update, the situation get's progressively worse. https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/523452/geforce-680-4-gig-3-10-surround-causing-bugs/#3709999 Go directly to the last post. The update now is that using nvidia inspector to set the clocks and evga precision x to control the fan (nvidia inspector doesn't reapply fan speeds periodically), I can play everything but world of tanks and mechwarrior online fairly stably. I'm certain that the driver has borked the card (note that I did 4 rebuilds and a full cmos reset which should leave no system setting or driver remnant behind to cause issues). I suspect this is because the driver controls clock speeds/fan speeds and voltages and has mismanaged the usage such that an actual physical fault has occurred. I've exhaustively tested the hardware and it works perfectly using the fixes (eg. unigene heaven can run for hours at a time with zero faults, RAM, PSU etc). Turn off the forced clocks and it displays the issue within 30 seconds. I'm seriously considering dumping this card in favour of a Radeon setup. It's drivers might be slow to arrive, the card might be noisy and power hungry, but at least the f#cking thing works. My 5990 worked perfectly throughout it's lifetime and is still working fine for the guy I sold it to. My 4870x2 is still working perfectly in my god daughters machine. My not 6 month old GTX680 is useless without a lot of fixes to get it to run at STOCK speeds, and even those fixes don't resolve all issues... And good luck getting an nvidia rep to actually respond to your posts. Hell, you're fortunate other forum members even bothered... Hell, even the apologists don't bother coming in to these threads anymore...
GoldString said: I have the same issue. I run a BFG 1000 watt PSU that was running three GTX 470's and a quad core CPU with zero problems. I upgraded to just one EVGA GTX 670 FTW and all was well until the 306 drivers came out. Then I started getting artifacts { lines , Blue / Green squares } Black screens , Driver has Stopped responding messages. I rolled back the drivers to 301. And magically the problem is still there. I installed one of my GTX 470's in without changing a damn thing and my games run fine.

The problem with the 670 has gotten so bad I can't play a game more than 45 seconds without something going wiggy and having to hard reset my comp. It is NOT a PSU issue. It is NOT a Mainboard issue. It is most specifically related to the new 670. Nvidia /failed on this one. It's a shame. I have always bought Nvidia. It may be time to switch to the ATI band wagon...

Almost identical thing happened on my GTX680 4 gig. The 3.06 patch borked the card and rolling back to earlier drivers does not fix the issue.

My thread has some things that might restore some functionality, but with each new driver update, the situation get's progressively worse.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/523452/geforce-680-4-gig-3-10-surround-causing-bugs/#3709999

Go directly to the last post.

The update now is that using nvidia inspector to set the clocks and evga precision x to control the fan (nvidia inspector doesn't reapply fan speeds periodically), I can play everything but world of tanks and mechwarrior online fairly stably. I'm certain that the driver has borked the card (note that I did 4 rebuilds and a full cmos reset which should leave no system setting or driver remnant behind to cause issues). I suspect this is because the driver controls clock speeds/fan speeds and voltages and has mismanaged the usage such that an actual physical fault has occurred.

I've exhaustively tested the hardware and it works perfectly using the fixes (eg. unigene heaven can run for hours at a time with zero faults, RAM, PSU etc). Turn off the forced clocks and it displays the issue within 30 seconds.

I'm seriously considering dumping this card in favour of a Radeon setup. It's drivers might be slow to arrive, the card might be noisy and power hungry, but at least the f#cking thing works. My 5990 worked perfectly throughout it's lifetime and is still working fine for the guy I sold it to. My 4870x2 is still working perfectly in my god daughters machine. My not 6 month old GTX680 is useless without a lot of fixes to get it to run at STOCK speeds, and even those fixes don't resolve all issues...

And good luck getting an nvidia rep to actually respond to your posts. Hell, you're fortunate other forum members even bothered... Hell, even the apologists don't bother coming in to these threads anymore...

Posted 12/21/2012 03:15 AM   
Another crumb on the trail, the boost clock speed hits over 1162 before settling at 1110 (default clock = 1005) When I lock to 1005, Heaven runs flawlessly and constantly, GPU temp maxes at 66 (well inside acceptable limits) and most importantly, no crashes. Letting the driver (any driver, 301 release up to 310.7) manage the boost causes crashes. Further, I suspect the boost has damaged the card. If it hadn't, why would this issue persist after driver rollbacks... Anyway, not sure if the OP is still checking this thread but at least this might help you.
Another crumb on the trail, the boost clock speed hits over 1162 before settling at 1110 (default clock = 1005)

When I lock to 1005, Heaven runs flawlessly and constantly, GPU temp maxes at 66 (well inside acceptable limits) and most importantly, no crashes. Letting the driver (any driver, 301 release up to 310.7) manage the boost causes crashes. Further, I suspect the boost has damaged the card. If it hadn't, why would this issue persist after driver rollbacks...

Anyway, not sure if the OP is still checking this thread but at least this might help you.

Posted 12/21/2012 07:25 AM   
I think all these crashes are related to cards being unstable at boost clock speeds. More modern games like farcry 3 are really demanding and push the cards so hard that they reveal this problem. I bet if you actually downclocked your cards (even from standard speeds) and or limited power target then the issue will go away.
I think all these crashes are related to cards being unstable at boost clock speeds. More modern games like farcry 3 are really demanding and push the cards so hard that they reveal this problem. I bet if you actually downclocked your cards (even from standard speeds) and or limited power target then the issue will go away.

GTX 690, I5-2500k ~ 4Ghz, 3x BenQ XL2420T, Asus VG236H, Viewsonic PJD 6531W, Samsung LE46 C750, Samsung 830 SSD, Crucial M4 SSD, 3D vision kit, Xpand x104 glasses, XFX 850W PSU, Win 7 64

Posted 12/21/2012 11:27 AM   
[quote="rustyk"]I think all these crashes are related to cards being unstable at boost clock speeds. More modern games like farcry 3 are really demanding and push the cards so hard that they reveal this problem. I bet if you actually downclocked your cards (even from standard speeds) and or limited power target then the issue will go away.[/quote] Yeah, I've actually removed boost so it runs at stock and fiddled with more/less voltage and still no dice... It's actually getting worse (games that I could play with the fix a month ago are starting to show similar problems...
rustyk said:I think all these crashes are related to cards being unstable at boost clock speeds. More modern games like farcry 3 are really demanding and push the cards so hard that they reveal this problem. I bet if you actually downclocked your cards (even from standard speeds) and or limited power target then the issue will go away.

Yeah, I've actually removed boost so it runs at stock and fiddled with more/less voltage and still no dice...

It's actually getting worse (games that I could play with the fix a month ago are starting to show similar problems...

Posted 12/22/2012 04:22 AM   
I just posted this on another page here: I've been having this issue for about two-three weeks now, maybe more Same problem with 310.70 I just built this system with Windows 7, fully updated all drivers and updates I can get the error a few seconds after I turn my machine on, or, after a few minutes, after a minute or two of starting a game (any game, doesn't have to be 3d/dx11) or I can get it an hour after playing a game or even just having my machine running (no games, just desktop with thing active) Screen will black out and give me the message: Display driver NVIDIA windows kernel mode driver, version 310.70 stopped responding and has successfully recovered I can get then the message every 20 seconds+ again, doesn't have to be using the card heavily, to have this happen, just running I will have this happen I've tried the following drivers all with the same outcome: 306.23 306.97 310.70 I also tried one of the 310 beta drivers but can't recall which one now Tried a 'fresh' install with each
I just posted this on another page here:

I've been having this issue for about two-three weeks now, maybe more
Same problem with 310.70
I just built this system with Windows 7, fully updated all drivers and updates
I can get the error a few seconds after I turn my machine on, or, after a few minutes, after a minute or two of starting a game (any game, doesn't have to be 3d/dx11) or I can get it an hour after playing a game or even just having my machine running (no games, just desktop with thing active)

Screen will black out and give me the message: Display driver NVIDIA windows kernel mode driver, version 310.70 stopped responding and has successfully recovered
I can get then the message every 20 seconds+ again, doesn't have to be using the card heavily, to have this happen, just running I will have this happen

I've tried the following drivers all with the same outcome:
I also tried one of the 310 beta drivers but can't recall which one now
Tried a 'fresh' install with each

My system:
Cooler Master 932 HAF 932 Advanced
Asus P8Z77-V LK
Intel i7 3770 *stock
32GB G.Skill 1600 DDR3
EVGA GTX 680 4GB
Kingston HyperX 240GB SSD
WD 1TB Black
WD 500GB Blue
Asus 12x Blueray Writer
Asus DVD-RW
Crossair H100 Cooling System
Thermaltake Toughpower Grand 850watt
APC Power-Saving Back-UPS Pro 1500VA 865W
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit.

Posted 12/22/2012 07:31 AM   
Welcome to TDR hell... Honestly, I think every driver after 306.23 is suspect, I was running fine for months using the 304 beta driver (can't recall which) and the problems started literally the first game after upgrading to 306.23 and has been getting worse ever since. I can now no longer play any 3d accelerated games, even using a locked clock, underclocking or setting a lower power target, or reducing the visual quality of a game or Unigine Heaven (still faults after 20-30 seconds on 1280x960 which doesn't even stress the GPU)... Nvidia needs to pull it's head out of it's ass and start addressing this issue publicly rather than hiding from it... When was the last time anyone even saw an nvid rep address a TDR complaint on these forums??
Welcome to TDR hell...

Honestly, I think every driver after 306.23 is suspect, I was running fine for months using the 304 beta driver (can't recall which) and the problems started literally the first game after upgrading to 306.23 and has been getting worse ever since.

I can now no longer play any 3d accelerated games, even using a locked clock, underclocking or setting a lower power target, or reducing the visual quality of a game or Unigine Heaven (still faults after 20-30 seconds on 1280x960 which doesn't even stress the GPU)...

Nvidia needs to pull it's head out of it's ass and start addressing this issue publicly rather than hiding from it... When was the last time anyone even saw an nvid rep address a TDR complaint on these forums??

Posted 12/25/2012 12:01 PM   
[quote="vegan"]guys, try a clean install of windows on a spare disk and see if the game crashes on you if it does then the driver can be verified as bad [/quote] I appreciate you contributing, and don't mean to sound rude, but read my thread (linked earlier). I rebuilt [b]4 times[/b] testing absolute clean builds with various drivers including the ones that were working previously... I was due a mobo/cpu/ram upgrade anyway so I went ahead and updated. Fresh build on fresh hardware, 4 seconds in to Unigine Heaven using 310.70, bang, [b]Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.[/b] I'm convinced now that the card has been physically damaged by the 306.7something driver (immediately after that install, my issues started and have been getting worse ever since). I'm fairly confident something was changed in the auto-OC'ing parameters which has pushed it beyond it's tolerance. Either that or there are a huge number of kepler cores out there that just aren't capable of maintaining their auto OC settings for any period of time. F#ck it, buying a new Radeon and RMA'ing this POS.
vegan said:guys, try a clean install of windows on a spare disk and see if the game crashes on you

if it does then the driver can be verified as bad

I appreciate you contributing, and don't mean to sound rude, but read my thread (linked earlier). I rebuilt 4 times testing absolute clean builds with various drivers including the ones that were working previously...

I was due a mobo/cpu/ram upgrade anyway so I went ahead and updated. Fresh build on fresh hardware, 4 seconds in to Unigine Heaven using 310.70, bang,

Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

I'm convinced now that the card has been physically damaged by the 306.7something driver (immediately after that install, my issues started and have been getting worse ever since). I'm fairly confident something was changed in the auto-OC'ing parameters which has pushed it beyond it's tolerance. Either that or there are a huge number of kepler cores out there that just aren't capable of maintaining their auto OC settings for any period of time.

F#ck it, buying a new Radeon and RMA'ing this POS.

Posted 12/31/2012 11:23 AM   
Hello and happy new year i have the same problem with my Evga gtx 680 i post a threat here describe the situation : [url]https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/526590/geforce-600-series/gtx-680-crashing-problems-display-driver-stopped-responding-/[/url]
Hello and happy new year i have the same problem with my Evga gtx 680 i post a threat here describe the situation : https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/526590/geforce-600-series/gtx-680-crashing-problems-display-driver-stopped-responding-/

Posted 01/01/2013 05:08 PM   
[quote="Saviourself"][quote="rustyk"]I think all these crashes are related to cards being unstable at boost clock speeds. More modern games like farcry 3 are really demanding and push the cards so hard that they reveal this problem. I bet if you actually downclocked your cards (even from standard speeds) and or limited power target then the issue will go away.[/quote] Yeah, I've actually removed boost so it runs at stock and fiddled with more/less voltage and still no dice... It's actually getting worse (games that I could play with the fix a month ago are starting to show similar problems...[/quote] Reading through all your replies on this thread it does sound like something maybe has been damaged. The reason I initially said I thought it was to do with boost/voltage etc. is that I can recreate the problem when I try and overclock my card. As long as I drop the core overclock down, everything is perfectly stable. I play MWO too and it was hammering the card just at the menu, particularly prior to the latest update. I think on these cards there is some kind of issue with thermal throttling, power target and the boost clocks. Interestingly, with the latest drivers on my 690 I've actually observed the max power target (using afterburner) going up as high as 137%(!!!) even though I've fixed it at 125%. I'm sure that's the kind of thing that could damage a card if the fan profiles aren't quite right! Having said all of that, unfortunately AMD is no option for me because I love 3D vision... Anyone who gets this issue consistently with no OC whatsoever, should definitely RMA their card ASAP. Even if it's a factory OC, it could still be a faulty card. It wouldn't be the first time cards with a factory OC have proven to be unstable. They normally push them out to the shelves, a demanding game comes along then people realise there is a problem with the OC.
Saviourself said:
rustyk said:I think all these crashes are related to cards being unstable at boost clock speeds. More modern games like farcry 3 are really demanding and push the cards so hard that they reveal this problem. I bet if you actually downclocked your cards (even from standard speeds) and or limited power target then the issue will go away.

Yeah, I've actually removed boost so it runs at stock and fiddled with more/less voltage and still no dice...

It's actually getting worse (games that I could play with the fix a month ago are starting to show similar problems...

Reading through all your replies on this thread it does sound like something maybe has been damaged. The reason I initially said I thought it was to do with boost/voltage etc. is that I can recreate the problem when I try and overclock my card. As long as I drop the core overclock down, everything is perfectly stable.

I play MWO too and it was hammering the card just at the menu, particularly prior to the latest update.

I think on these cards there is some kind of issue with thermal throttling, power target and the boost clocks. Interestingly, with the latest drivers on my 690 I've actually observed the max power target (using afterburner) going up as high as 137%(!!!) even though I've fixed it at 125%. I'm sure that's the kind of thing that could damage a card if the fan profiles aren't quite right!
Having said all of that, unfortunately AMD is no option for me because I love 3D vision...

Anyone who gets this issue consistently with no OC whatsoever, should definitely RMA their card ASAP. Even if it's a factory OC, it could still be a faulty card. It wouldn't be the first time cards with a factory OC have proven to be unstable. They normally push them out to the shelves, a demanding game comes along then people realise there is a problem with the OC.

GTX 690, I5-2500k ~ 4Ghz, 3x BenQ XL2420T, Asus VG236H, Viewsonic PJD 6531W, Samsung LE46 C750, Samsung 830 SSD, Crucial M4 SSD, 3D vision kit, Xpand x104 glasses, XFX 850W PSU, Win 7 64

Posted 01/01/2013 11:34 PM   
Try this solution [url]http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2665946[/url] if display driver stopped responding too often it could be driver bug, probably caused by corrupted vram (due to too high memory clock) as most GPU data stored in vram (ie. shader program, texture and vertex data), if the GPU were too hot and hung the display driver could stopped responding also. even when using stock clocks some people might still seeing artifact which was caused by corrupted vram (the turbo might exceeding it's limits)
Try this solution http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2665946

if display driver stopped responding too often it could be driver bug, probably caused by corrupted vram (due to too high memory clock) as most GPU data stored in vram (ie. shader program, texture and vertex data), if the GPU were too hot and hung the display driver could stopped responding also.

even when using stock clocks some people might still seeing artifact which was caused by corrupted vram (the turbo might exceeding it's limits)

Posted 01/02/2013 11:57 AM   
I just bought a new computer and I have the same issue, clean install of windows 7, and I get the error " "display driver has stopped responding and recovered", is there already a fix for this please? It's really annoying
I just bought a new computer and I have the same issue, clean install of windows 7, and I get the error " "display driver has stopped responding and recovered", is there already a fix for this please? It's really annoying

Posted 01/24/2013 01:10 AM   
  1 / 2    
Scroll To Top