GTX 650 TI and multiple monitors question
  1 / 2    
Just installed the 650 TI and when I try to set up dual monitors, I see 1, my main monitor, and 3 others slightly greyed. I do not have the what seems to be very rare [i]VGA to DVI-D[/i] adapters, just the [i]DVI-I[/i] which are of no use, unless I can break off the 4 pins surrounding the small bar-pin. There we only install instructions - no manual about settings or anything. QUESTION: [olist] [.]Can I as mentioned above, break the 4 pins off and use that [i]VGA to DVI[/i] adapter without damaging the card?[/.] [.]Is it possible to have one VGA monitor using the card's VGA port and the onboard VGA port? I tried, but the onboard VGA monitor doesn't show up - is there a way to do this?[/.] [/olist] [b]My system is:[/b] OS Name Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium Version 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2 Build 6002 System Manufacturer HP-Pavilion System Model RK574AA-ABA a1730n System Type X86-based PC Processor AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4600+, 2400 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s) BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD 5.07, 3/19/2007 SMBIOS Version 2.4 Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.0.6002.18005" Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB Total Physical Memory 3.25 GB Available Physical Memory 1.35 GB Total Virtual Memory 6.73 GB Available Virtual Memory 4.58 GB Page File Space 3.54 GB Page File C:\pagefile.sys Video Card Geforce GTX 650 TI Your help is greatly appreciated... i
Just installed the 650 TI and when I try to set up dual monitors, I see 1, my main monitor, and 3 others slightly greyed.

I do not have the what seems to be very rare VGA to DVI-D adapters, just the DVI-I which are of no use, unless I can break off the 4 pins surrounding the small bar-pin.

There we only install instructions - no manual about settings or anything.

QUESTION:
  1. Can I as mentioned above, break the 4 pins off and use that VGA to DVI adapter without damaging the card?
  2. Is it possible to have one VGA monitor using the card's VGA port and the onboard VGA port? I tried, but the onboard VGA monitor doesn't show up - is there a way to do this?

My system is:
OS Name Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium
Version 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2 Build 6002

System Manufacturer HP-Pavilion
System Model RK574AA-ABA a1730n
System Type X86-based PC
Processor AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4600+, 2400 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD 5.07, 3/19/2007
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.0.6002.18005"
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 3.25 GB
Available Physical Memory 1.35 GB
Total Virtual Memory 6.73 GB
Available Virtual Memory 4.58 GB
Page File Space 3.54 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Video Card Geforce GTX 650 TI

Your help is greatly appreciated...

i

Posted 11/14/2012 10:13 PM   
The onboard GPU is probably configured in the BIOS to only operate if no discrete GPU is detected. It should be possible to change this to 'always on' or whatever. Then you should be able to use both VGA outputs. As for the DVI adapter, those 4 extra pins are the analogue connections, so VGA will not work if you snap them off! Also, the blade between those pins is wider than on the DVI-D connection, so you might damage the connector on the card. So, DVI-D to VGA adapters are not just rare, but non-existent. A DVI connector that has analogue will always have those 4 pins. If those pins are present, it's either DVI-I or DVI-A. Fun, eh?
The onboard GPU is probably configured in the BIOS to only operate if no discrete GPU is detected. It should be possible to change this to 'always on' or whatever. Then you should be able to use both VGA outputs.

As for the DVI adapter, those 4 extra pins are the analogue connections, so VGA will not work if you snap them off! Also, the blade between those pins is wider than on the DVI-D connection, so you might damage the connector on the card.

So, DVI-D to VGA adapters are not just rare, but non-existent. A DVI connector that has analogue will always have those 4 pins. If those pins are present, it's either DVI-I or DVI-A. Fun, eh?

Core i5 4670K @ 4.3GHz with 4GHz uncore
Corsair H100 water cooler
8GB Patriot Viper DDR3 @ 2400MHz
Gigabyte Z87X-OC mobo
SLI eVGA GTX670 FTW (1227MHz boost 6800MHz VRAM)
Soundblaster Z with 5.1 speakers
112GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD
240GB OCZ Vertex 4 SSD
Corsair Carbide 500R case (white)
Akasa PowerXtreme 1200W PSU
HP ZR2740W 2560 x 1440 27" IPS panel
Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Posted 11/15/2012 09:40 AM   
[quote="Discordia"]The onboard GPU is probably configured in the BIOS ....... As for the DVI adapter, those 4 extra pins are the analogue connections, so VGA will not work if you snap them off! ........ So, DVI-D to VGA adapters are not just rare, but non-existent. .......[/quote] Wow! And thanks for the quick reply. I will certainly try the BIOS and see what I can do to use both the onboard VGA and the GTX 650TI. As for the adapter. I found them on a China based parts site. The specs specifically said it was VGA to DVI-D. The images sure look like it might work. It's about a two week FedEx trip from China to here. I found more, one in Canada, and one place in the US. Both prices were about $35.00 each. Plus shipping and handling, and they come out to about $55.00 a piece. Canada wanted $35.00 to ship via post, and the US $20.00 buy by UPS who charge a "brokerage fee" that comes to about another $30.00, and add to that, taxes at 12%. Costs almost as much as the card! In China, they are $1.69 USD. Either free shipping by turtle express, or air at $16.00 (Fedex.) It's hard to support one's country when the prices are ripping off it's own people. So, I thank China for having these adapters at a fair price. Whether they work or not, is about 2 weeks away... if it gets here :) If they do make it here, I will try to remember to come back and update this - either way. By the way, I found it very hard to figure which card would suit my needs both for games, and multi-monitor for business use. Not even sure if the card will play latest games. Tried the geforce online tool that checks, but it froze the computer. I hope card manufacturers remember that not everyone is a techie with cards, and translating the tech terms, like what in Hades is a TI and DVI-XYZ version ###.##.# mean. I hope they learn to keep it simple. :) Again, many thanks, i
Discordia said:The onboard GPU is probably configured in the BIOS .......

As for the DVI adapter, those 4 extra pins are the analogue connections, so VGA will not work if you snap them off! ........

So, DVI-D to VGA adapters are not just rare, but non-existent. .......

Wow! And thanks for the quick reply. I will certainly try the BIOS and see what I can do to use both the onboard VGA and the GTX 650TI.

As for the adapter. I found them on a China based parts site. The specs specifically said it was VGA to DVI-D. The images sure look like it might work. It's about a two week FedEx trip from China to here. I found more, one in Canada, and one place in the US. Both prices were about $35.00 each. Plus shipping and handling, and they come out to about $55.00 a piece. Canada wanted $35.00 to ship via post, and the US $20.00 buy by UPS who charge a "brokerage fee" that comes to about another $30.00, and add to that, taxes at 12%. Costs almost as much as the card!

In China, they are $1.69 USD. Either free shipping by turtle express, or air at $16.00 (Fedex.)

It's hard to support one's country when the prices are ripping off it's own people. So, I thank China for having these adapters at a fair price.

Whether they work or not, is about 2 weeks away... if it gets here :) If they do make it here, I will try to remember to come back and update this - either way.

By the way, I found it very hard to figure which card would suit my needs both for games, and multi-monitor for business use. Not even sure if the card will play latest games. Tried the geforce online tool that checks, but it froze the computer. I hope card manufacturers remember that not everyone is a techie with cards, and translating the tech terms, like what in Hades is a TI and DVI-XYZ version ###.##.# mean. I hope they learn to keep it simple. :)

Again, many thanks,

i

Posted 11/15/2012 08:47 PM   
Ti (Titanium) is just nVidia branding. It's supposed to denote a more powerful version of the card, but it's all pretty meaningless now. The 650Ti is not a more powerful 650, it's a cut-down 660, with one Streaming Multiprocessor disabled, no Turbo Boost and less memory bandwidth. In my book that puts it at the top of the mid-range. So it's a pretty good card, almost twice as powerful as its previous generation counterpart. It will play the latest games at HD resolution and at Ultra settings, but not at the same time!! As for DVI, that's much easier. D is for digital, A for Analogue and I for integrated (both) I just don't see how a DVI-D to VGA adapter could work. DVI-D is digital only and does not have any pins for the analogue signal. I suspect the products claiming to be such have been incorrectly labelled.
Ti (Titanium) is just nVidia branding. It's supposed to denote a more powerful version of the card, but it's all pretty meaningless now. The 650Ti is not a more powerful 650, it's a cut-down 660, with one Streaming Multiprocessor disabled, no Turbo Boost and less memory bandwidth. In my book that puts it at the top of the mid-range. So it's a pretty good card, almost twice as powerful as its previous generation counterpart. It will play the latest games at HD resolution and at Ultra settings, but not at the same time!!

As for DVI, that's much easier. D is for digital, A for Analogue and I for integrated (both)

I just don't see how a DVI-D to VGA adapter could work. DVI-D is digital only and does not have any pins for the analogue signal. I suspect the products claiming to be such have been incorrectly labelled.

Gigabyte Z87X-OC mobo
112GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD
240GB OCZ Vertex 4 SSD
Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Posted 11/16/2012 01:33 PM   
[quote="Discordia"].....puts it at the top of the mid-range. So it's a pretty good card, almost twice as powerful as its previous generation counterpart. [b]It will play the latest games[/b] at HD resolution and at Ultra settings, but not at the same time!![/quote] Thanks for that. I feel more comfortable now for game play. I would have bought a higher end, but I couldn't find a better card with the same number of available ports for additional monitors. [quote="Discordia"]I just don't see how a DVI-D to VGA adapter could work. DVI-D is digital only and does not have any pins for the analogue signal. I suspect the products claiming to be such have been incorrectly labelled.[/quote] Thanks again - I'm understanding a bit better now. i p.s. I think a "preview" option would be nice before saving replies. I don't doubt you at all. I do hope you are wrong :) I found the link again, and maybe you can see what it might really be. [url=http://www.pandawill.com/dvi-241m-to-vgaf-adapter-p37860.html]DVI-D and Vga[/url] http://www.pandawill.com/dvi-241m-to-vgaf-adapter-p37860.html
Discordia said:.....puts it at the top of the mid-range. So it's a pretty good card, almost twice as powerful as its previous generation counterpart. It will play the latest games at HD resolution and at Ultra settings, but not at the same time!!

Thanks for that. I feel more comfortable now for game play. I would have bought a higher end, but I couldn't find a better card with the same number of available ports for additional monitors.

Discordia said:I just don't see how a DVI-D to VGA adapter could work. DVI-D is digital only and does not have any pins for the analogue signal. I suspect the products claiming to be such have been incorrectly labelled.

Thanks again - I'm understanding a bit better now.

i

p.s. I think a "preview" option would be nice before saving replies.
I don't doubt you at all. I do hope you are wrong :) I found the link again, and maybe you can see what it might really be. DVI-D and Vga http://www.pandawill.com/dvi-241m-to-vgaf-adapter-p37860.html

Posted 11/16/2012 06:45 PM   
I just bought this card thinking it would be an upgrade to my old HD5770 and thought I would try out the nVidia for a change. Everything I read made it seem like an ideal candidate. When I got it home I realized that it had these two different DVI options and was shocked to find out that they didn't include a DVI-D adapater (actually they included a single-link adapter for a DVI-I). The VGA to DVI-D is far from non-existent. You can find them on most of the major name branch computer parts stores like NewEgg snd Microcenter. I found one at our local Microcenter, but after plugging it in I still don't get a picture on my second monitor. Oddly, the monitor is identified, but just won't work. If I switch out the monitors to use the opposite ports then one of them will not work regardless. I've updated the drivers all around so I don't know what's going on or what I can do to fix it.
I just bought this card thinking it would be an upgrade to my old HD5770 and thought I would try out the nVidia for a change. Everything I read made it seem like an ideal candidate. When I got it home I realized that it had these two different DVI options and was shocked to find out that they didn't include a DVI-D adapater (actually they included a single-link adapter for a DVI-I). The VGA to DVI-D is far from non-existent. You can find them on most of the major name branch computer parts stores like NewEgg snd Microcenter. I found one at our local Microcenter, but after plugging it in I still don't get a picture on my second monitor. Oddly, the monitor is identified, but just won't work. If I switch out the monitors to use the opposite ports then one of them will not work regardless. I've updated the drivers all around so I don't know what's going on or what I can do to fix it.

Posted 11/17/2012 10:53 PM   
Well, the digital part of the connector does include a pair of pins (8 and 15) for analogue vertical sync but it has no pins for the red, blue and green analogue signals or the analogue horizontal sync. These are provided by the 4 pins around the blade and the blade itself, which is the ground. So a connector without these pins cannot work with an analogue video signal. So the only way I could see it working would be if the graphics card was to detect the analogue display and redirect the analogue signals onto the correct pins - those that would be used in a DVI-A connector. There are DVI-D to VGA converters available but they are active (powered) devices with actual D/A converters in them. Some can take their power from a USB port and some have mains adapters. All are expensive. I found this: http://www.datapro.net/products/dvi-male-to-vga-female-adaptor.html On line 2 of the details, it says "This will not display a video signal from a DVI-D (Digital Only) output, even though the plugs fit correctly". It also says this in the description at the top: "...the perfect solution to match up an analog monitor with an analog-compatible DVI card." The words 'analog-compatible DVI card' appear to support my theory above that the right card could do it. I'm guessing that these nVidia cards do not fall into this category.
Well, the digital part of the connector does include a pair of pins (8 and 15) for analogue vertical sync but it has no pins for the red, blue and green analogue signals or the analogue horizontal sync. These are provided by the 4 pins around the blade and the blade itself, which is the ground. So a connector without these pins cannot work with an analogue video signal.

So the only way I could see it working would be if the graphics card was to detect the analogue display and redirect the analogue signals onto the correct pins - those that would be used in a DVI-A connector.

There are DVI-D to VGA converters available but they are active (powered) devices with actual D/A converters in them. Some can take their power from a USB port and some have mains adapters. All are expensive.

I found this:

http://www.datapro.net/products/dvi-male-to-vga-female-adaptor.html

On line 2 of the details, it says "This will not display a video signal from a DVI-D (Digital Only) output, even though the plugs fit correctly".

It also says this in the description at the top:

"...the perfect solution to match up an analog monitor with an analog-compatible DVI card."

The words 'analog-compatible DVI card' appear to support my theory above that the right card could do it. I'm guessing that these nVidia cards do not fall into this category.

Gigabyte Z87X-OC mobo
112GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD
240GB OCZ Vertex 4 SSD
Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Posted 11/18/2012 05:24 PM   
[quote="Discordia"] ............ The words 'analog-compatible DVI card' appear to support my theory above that the right card could do it. I'm guessing that these nVidia cards do not fall into this category. [/quote] Thank you very much for the info. It would appear I have a expensive paperweight :( I hope the manufacturers of cards put more information on their boxes. I was excited to see the extra adapters and was lead to believe that I could run up to 4 monitors. When I check Display Settings, it shows 4 monitor screens with three "not available". I tried your suggestion of going to BIOS and changing the onboard, but the option is Primary, or not, and either way, I still get one monitor. I am so use to using 2 monitors, and a third via another comp, that I keep wanting to cursor over to the 2nd one. Do you know what kind of monitor would plug in to this so I could run 2 or more monitors? Your patience is appreciated :) p.s., the glitch in editing doubling up, there seems to be a few regular options missing - such as being emailed when there is a reply.
Discordia said:

The words 'analog-compatible DVI card' appear to support my theory above that the right card could do it. I'm guessing that these nVidia cards do not fall into this category.

Thank you very much for the info. It would appear I have a expensive paperweight :(

I hope the manufacturers of cards put more information on their boxes. I was excited to see the extra adapters and was lead to believe that I could run up to 4 monitors. When I check Display Settings, it shows 4 monitor screens with three "not available".

I tried your suggestion of going to BIOS and changing the onboard, but the option is Primary, or not, and either way, I still get one monitor.

I am so use to using 2 monitors, and a third via another comp, that I keep wanting to cursor over to the 2nd one.

Do you know what kind of monitor would plug in to this so I could run 2 or more monitors?

Your patience is appreciated :)

p.s., the glitch in editing doubling up, there seems to be a few regular options missing - such as being emailed when there is a reply.

Posted 11/19/2012 07:24 PM   
[quote="confluence"]I just bought this card thinking it would be an upgrade to my old HD5770 and thought I would try out the nVidia for a change. Everything I read made it seem like an ideal candidate. When I got it home I realized that it had these two different DVI options and was shocked to find out that they didn't include a DVI-D adapater (actually they included a single-link adapter for a DVI-I). The VGA to DVI-D is far from non-existent. You can find them on most of the major name branch computer parts stores like NewEgg snd Microcenter. I found one at our local Microcenter, but after plugging it in I still don't get a picture on my second monitor. Oddly, the monitor is identified, but just won't work. If I switch out the monitors to use the opposite ports then one of them will not work regardless. I've updated the drivers all around so I don't know what's going on or what I can do to fix it. [/quote] I have the same problem as this individual. My second monitor is not detected by the card and i get "cable not connected" on the screen.
confluence said:I just bought this card thinking it would be an upgrade to my old HD5770 and thought I would try out the nVidia for a change. Everything I read made it seem like an ideal candidate. When I got it home I realized that it had these two different DVI options and was shocked to find out that they didn't include a DVI-D adapater (actually they included a single-link adapter for a DVI-I). The VGA to DVI-D is far from non-existent. You can find them on most of the major name branch computer parts stores like NewEgg snd Microcenter. I found one at our local Microcenter, but after plugging it in I still don't get a picture on my second monitor. Oddly, the monitor is identified, but just won't work. If I switch out the monitors to use the opposite ports then one of them will not work regardless. I've updated the drivers all around so I don't know what's going on or what I can do to fix it.

I have the same problem as this individual. My second monitor is not detected by the card and i get "cable not connected" on the screen.

Posted 01/02/2013 01:42 AM   
I have also become quite confused with what Nvidia writes. So, if I want to use 3 monitors with HDMI, would that be possible? With a GeForce GTX 650 Ti. Mini HDMI to HDMI DVI-I to HDMI DVI-D to HDMI Thank you in advance Edit: My question is not so much whether you can buy adapter for that, but whether the card can do it.
I have also become quite confused with what Nvidia writes.

So, if I want to use 3 monitors with HDMI, would that be possible? With a GeForce GTX 650 Ti.

Mini HDMI to HDMI
DVI-I to HDMI
DVI-D to HDMI

Thank you in advance

Edit:
My question is not so much whether you can buy adapter for that, but whether the card can do it.

Posted 02/22/2013 10:34 AM   
So with this card you can only have one monitor? I was upgrading from a 9400 GT card to the GTX 650, thinking I could still keep my dual monitors but so far even with using a vga-dvi-d adapter, my screen's just black. The computer picks up the other monitor, but nothing is displayed on it. I can't figure out why either. If I just plug in the DVI-D separately the monitor works, when I add the other, the screens just black. Any ideas? Please help! ladymlyzrath@hotmail.com
So with this card you can only have one monitor? I was upgrading from a 9400 GT card to the GTX 650, thinking I could still keep my dual monitors but so far even with using a vga-dvi-d adapter, my screen's just black. The computer picks up the other monitor, but nothing is displayed on it. I can't figure out why either. If I just plug in the DVI-D separately the monitor works, when I add the other, the screens just black.

Any ideas? Please help!

ladymlyzrath@hotmail.com

Posted 02/25/2013 11:48 PM   
Having the same issue here...650 Ti detects both monitors but only delivers on one...the other is 'there'...but all black.... Any thoughts?
Having the same issue here...650 Ti detects both monitors but only delivers on one...the other is 'there'...but all black.... Any thoughts?

Posted 03/18/2013 03:02 AM   
I have the same issue and i think that GTX 650 Ti is not compatible to use multi-monitor, there is GTX 650 Ti Boost and it have SLI support but i don't know if this option will solve this issue. If someone have more experience with this 2 cards i will appreciate to hear a confirmation for this facts.
I have the same issue and i think that GTX 650 Ti is not compatible to use multi-monitor,
there is GTX 650 Ti Boost and it have SLI support but i don't know if this option will solve this issue.
If someone have more experience with this 2 cards i will appreciate to hear a confirmation for this facts.

Posted 03/29/2013 11:16 AM   
I have a GTX 650 Ti (from EVGA, [url]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009KUT322/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/url]) and on windows I can run 2 monitors without trouble, although I get no display prior to it booting into windows (no signal during the splash screen/BIOS/grub, which is a bit annoying) and I get nothing on linux (opensuse 12.1), although that might just be a result of my xorg config being wrong... but anyways, it's certainly possible to use a 650 Ti with more than one monitor.
I have a GTX 650 Ti (from EVGA, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009KUT322/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and on windows I can run 2 monitors without trouble, although I get no display prior to it booting into windows (no signal during the splash screen/BIOS/grub, which is a bit annoying) and I get nothing on linux (opensuse 12.1), although that might just be a result of my xorg config being wrong... but anyways, it's certainly possible to use a 650 Ti with more than one monitor.

Posted 04/26/2013 11:32 PM   
I'm also having lots of problems to set up multiple displays with this card. I have the Gigabyte GTX 650 Ti 2GB Boost variant, running on a Windows 8 64 bit. I currently have 2 LG Flatron W2243S as main displays and one extra 3D display, which is a Zalman ZM-M220W. When replacing from my old GTX 240 card, I wanted to keep the 2 main displays with the LG monitors and the third with the Zalman. Thing is, I can not get it to work. I can plug one LG monitor to the DVI-I slot, using a VGA to VGA cable, and then using a VGA-DVI-I adapter to plug into the graphics card. Then I can also connect the Zalman monitor to the DVI-D slot. But the problems start here. I can't connect any display to the HDMi slot. Even if I disconnect the others. I tried an adapter VGA-HDMi to plug the 2nd LG monitor and nothing.. I tried using a VHD-HDMi cable and nothing either. The screens don't even show up on the Control Panel, nor in the NVIDIA Control Panel. What is the problem here? Is there an issue with the card? Drivers problem?
I'm also having lots of problems to set up multiple displays with this card.

I have the Gigabyte GTX 650 Ti 2GB Boost variant, running on a Windows 8 64 bit.

I currently have 2 LG Flatron W2243S as main displays and one extra 3D display, which is a Zalman ZM-M220W.

When replacing from my old GTX 240 card, I wanted to keep the 2 main displays with the LG monitors and the third with the Zalman.

Thing is, I can not get it to work.

I can plug one LG monitor to the DVI-I slot, using a VGA to VGA cable, and then using a VGA-DVI-I adapter to plug into the graphics card. Then I can also connect the Zalman monitor to the DVI-D slot.

But the problems start here. I can't connect any display to the HDMi slot. Even if I disconnect the others. I tried an adapter VGA-HDMi to plug the 2nd LG monitor and nothing.. I tried using a VHD-HDMi cable and nothing either. The screens don't even show up on the Control Panel, nor in the NVIDIA Control Panel.

What is the problem here? Is there an issue with the card? Drivers problem?

Posted 05/06/2013 02:15 PM   
  1 / 2    
Scroll To Top