Switching between Surround and "Standard" in a non painful way?
  1 / 4    
I need to switch between surround and non surround quite often, as working with surround enabled is no fun. In Windows 8 you have to resize windows manually all the time to fit them on one monitor and the taskbar strechtes across all monitors which makes it annoying to use. In Windows 7 the driver offers options to change that but they are more like a workaround. Windows go into some weird "windowed fullscreen" (and not even all, steam for example doesn't care and always strechtes across all monitors), aero peek doesn't work anymore and you can resize program windows into tiny cubes even though the program is suppsoed to limit on how small the window can get. But switching all the time is an extreme pain. Let's count the steps: 1. Double-click on NVIDIA Control Panel icon. 2. Click on "Surround, PhysX". 3. Check the box. 4. Click Apply. 5. Click Apply again. 6. Rearrange the monitors because it just never ever remembers the last setup. 7. Click on "use standard resolutions". 8. Click Done. Now that was the easy part. Now let's revert this. 9. Double-click on NVIDIA Control Panel icon. 10. Uncheck the box. 11. Click Apply. 12. Close NVIDIA Control Panel. 13. Right click on desktop. 14. Select resolution. 15. Enable second monitor (3 clicks). 16. Enable third monitor (3 clicks). 17. Click apply. 18. Click keep changes. 19. Click ok. All that several times a day. If it would at least keep my monitors enabled... but no. So I'm looking for a way to do this easier. I can enable and disable 3D with a click (which wouldn't be necessary if it wouldn't enable itself all the time), so why isn't such an option available for surround.
I need to switch between surround and non surround quite often, as working with surround enabled is no fun.
In Windows 8 you have to resize windows manually all the time to fit them on one monitor and the taskbar strechtes across all monitors which makes it annoying to use.
In Windows 7 the driver offers options to change that but they are more like a workaround. Windows go into some weird "windowed fullscreen" (and not even all, steam for example doesn't care and always strechtes across all monitors), aero peek doesn't work anymore and you can resize program windows into tiny cubes even though the program is suppsoed to limit on how small the window can get.

But switching all the time is an extreme pain. Let's count the steps:
1. Double-click on NVIDIA Control Panel icon.
2. Click on "Surround, PhysX".
3. Check the box.
4. Click Apply.
5. Click Apply again.
6. Rearrange the monitors because it just never ever remembers the last setup.
7. Click on "use standard resolutions".
8. Click Done.

Now that was the easy part. Now let's revert this.

9. Double-click on NVIDIA Control Panel icon.
10. Uncheck the box.
11. Click Apply.
12. Close NVIDIA Control Panel.
13. Right click on desktop.
14. Select resolution.
15. Enable second monitor (3 clicks).
16. Enable third monitor (3 clicks).
17. Click apply.
18. Click keep changes.
19. Click ok.

All that several times a day. If it would at least keep my monitors enabled... but no.

So I'm looking for a way to do this easier. I can enable and disable 3D with a click (which wouldn't be necessary if it wouldn't enable itself all the time), so why isn't such an option available for surround.

Posted 11/08/2012 09:03 PM   
Surround is a pain. 3D isn't that reliable either. Let alone those 2 combined. I invested 1000€ in an usability nightmare. Just great. Who even approves such half-assed stuff for release...?
Surround is a pain.
3D isn't that reliable either.
Let alone those 2 combined.

I invested 1000€ in an usability nightmare. Just great.
Who even approves such half-assed stuff for release...?

Posted 11/17/2012 01:38 AM   
oh my favorite is "Close 87678 programs before you can continue" WHY? WTF? how about "NO!" and you just do as your told. For $1000,00 worth of equipment, stop being useless and start doing as I say. that's actually how this is supposed to work. Soon, in the next update, it's going to be "Please shut down your computer before you continue!" ..wait what? wouldn't surprise me. Does "BTtray.exe" and "Microsoft Lync" really have superior code that it will blow up my computer? C'mon guys. ATI is looking better and better before they go out of business. AMD I mean.
oh my favorite is "Close 87678 programs before you can continue" WHY? WTF? how about "NO!" and you just do as your told. For $1000,00 worth of equipment, stop being useless and start doing as I say.

that's actually how this is supposed to work.

Soon, in the next update, it's going to be "Please shut down your computer before you continue!" ..wait what?

wouldn't surprise me.

Does "BTtray.exe" and "Microsoft Lync" really have superior code that it will blow up my computer? C'mon guys. ATI is looking better and better before they go out of business. AMD I mean.

Posted 11/17/2012 02:49 AM   
nVidia really needs to implement a toggle option for surround! It is usable in Windows 7 where it's possible to maximize to one screen, but this does not even work in Windows 8 currently. I tried to install Windows 8, but after a day of fighting surround I reinstalled Windows 7... The steps needed to switch modes are simply way to many, especially when you need to kill processes like Krighton mentions. Surround is also a pain when I have to use Citrix in regards to work. It will maximize to all three monitors when I only want it on one. This is on both Win7 and Win8. nVidia, please make a toogle option for surround!
nVidia really needs to implement a toggle option for surround!

It is usable in Windows 7 where it's possible to maximize to one screen, but this does not even work in Windows 8 currently.

I tried to install Windows 8, but after a day of fighting surround I reinstalled Windows 7...
The steps needed to switch modes are simply way to many, especially when you need to kill processes like Krighton mentions.

Surround is also a pain when I have to use Citrix in regards to work. It will maximize to all three monitors when I only want it on one. This is on both Win7 and Win8.

nVidia, please make a toogle option for surround!

GeForce GTX 690 | Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN 3 | Intel Core i5-2500K | Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz 8GB RAM | OCZ Vertex 3 SSD

Posted 11/18/2012 01:44 PM   
I'm going to 2nd that Protac. I would love to see a toggle option of some form. For me, its setting up the big screen for movie viewing. Usually I have no problem leaving my pc in surround mode all the time. (with the occasional having to resize a window) However, today my wife called me at work because she wanted to watch a movie. Walking her through that over the phone was a pain at the very least. Not only is there usually lag when switching from surround to enable all screens (screens go black, and take a minute to realize wtf is going on) 1)Enable all screens and close whatever needs to be closed for that to work 2)Re-size my dlp screen AGAIN because Nvidia control panel can't seem to remember the settings 3)Re-arrange the monitor position setup, again due to Nvidia not remembering settings 4)Enable HDMI sound via windows sound interface 5)Tell wife it'll be ready in just a moment A simple toggle switch would be great, especially if Nvidia control panel could remember previous settings automatically. I'm still very happy with my setup, its just painful to walk my wife through setting it up. When she wants to watch a movie, she doesn't want to spend 10 minutes setting it up to do so. Nvidia, please give us something to work with here. Very appreciative of the software current, but a little more would be great.
I'm going to 2nd that Protac. I would love to see a toggle option of some form. For me, its setting up the big screen for movie viewing. Usually I have no problem leaving my pc in surround mode all the time. (with the occasional having to resize a window) However, today my wife called me at work because she wanted to watch a movie. Walking her through that over the phone was a pain at the very least. Not only is there usually lag when switching from surround to enable all screens (screens go black, and take a minute to realize wtf is going on)

1)Enable all screens and close whatever needs to be closed for that to work
2)Re-size my dlp screen AGAIN because Nvidia control panel can't seem to remember the settings
3)Re-arrange the monitor position setup, again due to Nvidia not remembering settings
4)Enable HDMI sound via windows sound interface
5)Tell wife it'll be ready in just a moment

A simple toggle switch would be great, especially if Nvidia control panel could remember previous settings automatically. I'm still very happy with my setup, its just painful to walk my wife through setting it up. When she wants to watch a movie, she doesn't want to spend 10 minutes setting it up to do so.

Nvidia, please give us something to work with here. Very appreciative of the software current, but a little more would be great.

Posted 11/22/2012 08:11 PM   
Please use SplitView to fix the single monitor maximization. Works like a champ. custom resolutions of course will hide the red x and min/max window buttons so be aware. Nvidia's track record for this feature is very poor. Since the dawn of surround they've always been 10 steps behind ATI/AMD (which should be embarrassing but they don't care) so it will be at least a year before we see Surround fixes. They have to apease the Black Ops, single play through gamers cries. While the rest of the hardcore MMO players spend years in a game suffering the lack of features. 2013 Surround will work..but probably not for the 500/600 series cards. You'll have to upgrade to the 700 series cards that will be. 0.008% faster for 800 dollars. Please be patient while they figure out how to market this to the new generation.
Please use SplitView to fix the single monitor maximization. Works like a champ. custom resolutions of course will hide the red x and min/max window buttons so be aware.

Nvidia's track record for this feature is very poor. Since the dawn of surround they've always been 10 steps behind ATI/AMD (which should be embarrassing but they don't care) so it will be at least a year before we see Surround fixes. They have to apease the Black Ops, single play through gamers cries. While the rest of the hardcore MMO players spend years in a game suffering the lack of features.

2013 Surround will work..but probably not for the 500/600 series cards. You'll have to upgrade to the 700 series cards that will be. 0.008% faster for 800 dollars.

Please be patient while they figure out how to market this to the new generation.

Posted 11/22/2012 09:56 PM   
Message received. I'm skipping Windows 8.
Message received.

I'm skipping Windows 8.

Posted 11/25/2012 02:51 AM   
You can change modes in Windows 8 with "Windows Key and P" then select pc screen only or extended view. Takes 2 seconds and works fine until we get a driver solution.
You can change modes in Windows 8 with "Windows Key and P" then select pc screen only or extended view. Takes 2 seconds and works fine until we get a driver solution.

Posted 12/06/2012 12:39 PM   
[quote="Cygnific"]You can change modes in Windows 8 with "Windows Key and P" then select pc screen only or extended view. Takes 2 seconds and works fine until we get a driver solution.[/quote] I tried this but I only get 2 displays on extended. Is there a way to get all 3 displays?
Cygnific said:You can change modes in Windows 8 with "Windows Key and P" then select pc screen only or extended view. Takes 2 seconds and works fine until we get a driver solution.

I tried this but I only get 2 displays on extended. Is there a way to get all 3 displays?

Cooler Master Cosmos II | ASUS X99-Deluxe | Thermaltake Water 3.0 Extreme S | 5930k @ 4.5GHz | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz | SLI 1080 Ti's | Samsung 950 Pro NVMe M.2 SSD | Corsair AX1500i | 3DMark Fire Strike Ultra - 13,780 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Samsung CHG90 Super Ultra Wide HDR Monitor

Posted 12/07/2012 02:39 AM   
[quote="GitDat"]I tried this but I only get 2 displays on extended. Is there a way to get all 3 displays?[/quote] No idea why it is not working for you. Is there a problem in device manager?
GitDat said:I tried this but I only get 2 displays on extended. Is there a way to get all 3 displays?

No idea why it is not working for you. Is there a problem in device manager?

Posted 12/07/2012 06:06 AM   
[quote="Cygnific"]You can change modes in Windows 8 with "Windows Key and P" then select pc screen only or extended view. Takes 2 seconds and works fine until we get a driver solution.[/quote] Yes this works for me too. I'm on Windows 8 64 bit pro using 306.97 drivers. Once setup via Nvidia Control Panel I use [i]Windows Key + P[/i] to switch between "Extend" and "Second Screen Only", rather than "PC Screen Only", to give me the independent V spanned/surround modes. I prefer these windows modes only because they are closer to each other when the charm thing opens. To associate your spanned/surround mode with one of "Second Screen Only" or "PC Screen only": [list] [.]Switch to "Second Screen Only" or "PC Screen only"[/.] [.]Use Nvidia Control Panel to setup your surround configuration[/.] [/list] However, there are two problems with setting up and switching between independent and span (surround) modes. Firstly, the monitors are identified with a different number sequence depending on whether you go through Screen Resolution V through Nvidia Control Panel. To see this: [list] [.]Screen Resolution.: Right click on the desktop > Screen Resolution. I have displays numbered, from left to right, as 1, 3, 2[/.] [.]Control Panel: Right click on the desktop > NVIDIA Control Panel. 3D Settings > Configure Surround, Physx. Span Displays with Surround: tick. Configure ...[/.] [.]My displays will be numbered from left to right: 1, 2, 3 (hard won through trial and error and now consistent with the physical layout of my monitors). This partly corresponds to the diagram under "PhysX" and partly doesn't. My cables are connected as in this diagram (so, for example, my Display port cable is connected to my monitor 3). However, the PhysX diagram orders the monitors "(1 of 3), (3 of 3), (2 of 3)", not "1, 2, 3" as the Configure Wizard will show.[/.] [/list] This problem is not too big a deal. Once you set it up you can ignore the anomalous identification via "Screen Resolution". However, it would save a great deal of headache for new users setting up their system if the screens where identified properly when going via "Screen Resolution". I know the "Screen Resolution" identification is anomalous, not when going through Nvidia Control Panel, as [url=http://jgpaiva.dcmembers.com/gridmove.html]Gridmove[/url] regards the monitor numbers according to Nvidia Control Panel. The second problem, and the more important, is that switching between modes with Windows + P does not persist between reboots. I'd be grateful if Nvidia or other users comment on these two problems.
Cygnific said:You can change modes in Windows 8 with "Windows Key and P" then select pc screen only or extended view. Takes 2 seconds and works fine until we get a driver solution.

Yes this works for me too. I'm on Windows 8 64 bit pro using 306.97 drivers.

Once setup via Nvidia Control Panel I use Windows Key + P to switch between "Extend" and "Second Screen Only", rather than "PC Screen Only", to give me the independent V spanned/surround modes. I prefer these windows modes only because they are closer to each other when the charm thing opens.

To associate your spanned/surround mode with one of "Second Screen Only" or "PC Screen only":
  • Switch to "Second Screen Only" or "PC Screen only"
  • Use Nvidia Control Panel to setup your surround configuration

However, there are two problems with setting up and switching between independent and span (surround) modes.

Firstly, the monitors are identified with a different number sequence depending on whether you go through Screen Resolution V through Nvidia Control Panel. To see this:
  • Screen Resolution.: Right click on the desktop > Screen Resolution. I have displays numbered, from left to right, as 1, 3, 2
  • Control Panel: Right click on the desktop > NVIDIA Control Panel. 3D Settings > Configure Surround, Physx. Span Displays with Surround: tick. Configure ...
  • My displays will be numbered from left to right: 1, 2, 3 (hard won through trial and error and now consistent with the physical layout of my monitors). This partly corresponds to the diagram under "PhysX" and partly doesn't. My cables are connected as in this diagram (so, for example, my Display port cable is connected to my monitor 3). However, the PhysX diagram orders the monitors "(1 of 3), (3 of 3), (2 of 3)", not "1, 2, 3" as the Configure Wizard will show.

This problem is not too big a deal. Once you set it up you can ignore the anomalous identification via "Screen Resolution". However, it would save a great deal of headache for new users setting up their system if the screens where identified properly when going via "Screen Resolution".

I know the "Screen Resolution" identification is anomalous, not when going through Nvidia Control Panel, as Gridmove regards the monitor numbers according to Nvidia Control Panel.

The second problem, and the more important, is that switching between modes with Windows + P does not persist between reboots.

I'd be grateful if Nvidia or other users comment on these two problems.

Posted 12/16/2012 03:03 PM   
[quote="Quoting Myself"]The second problem, and the more important, is that switching between modes with Windows + P does not persist between reboots.[/quote] The new 310.70 drivers seemed to have fixed this problem. Great work Nvidia!. That just leaves the first problem (as I've listed it above). However, since the problem raised by the original poster seems now dealt with I'll post this separate problem in a new thread.
Quoting Myself said:The second problem, and the more important, is that switching between modes with Windows + P does not persist between reboots.

The new 310.70 drivers seemed to have fixed this problem. Great work Nvidia!.

That just leaves the first problem (as I've listed it above). However, since the problem raised by the original poster seems now dealt with I'll post this separate problem in a new thread.

Posted 12/19/2012 01:53 PM   
Cygnific and JohnBentley, what video card(s) are you using? As with GitDat, with my GTX 690, the Windows + P trick does not work. When you switch to "Extend," only two screens come back up. Thanks for the tip tho! I'll keep playing with it. It would be really nice if I could get it to work. In the meantime, I have resorted to using toolbars to try to force my shortcuts to where I want them on my Taskbar. It works pretty well as long as you don't overlap too many things. It's just not very handy for multitasking, since I end up with duplicate windows a lot.
Cygnific and JohnBentley, what video card(s) are you using? As with GitDat, with my GTX 690, the Windows + P trick does not work. When you switch to "Extend," only two screens come back up. Thanks for the tip tho! I'll keep playing with it. It would be really nice if I could get it to work.

In the meantime, I have resorted to using toolbars to try to force my shortcuts to where I want them on my Taskbar. It works pretty well as long as you don't overlap too many things. It's just not very handy for multitasking, since I end up with duplicate windows a lot.

Posted 01/08/2013 06:07 AM   
hi guys, new to forum, im currently running the 650ti OC and my main problem, is i have 3 21.5" 1920 1080, acer moniters. and cannot for the life of me get 5760 x 1080 2 are running on dvi. 1 is hdmi, the max resolution i can get is about 3800 x 960 (i didnt write it down before making this post, and now i cant check without closing google....... ughh) i am having to switch between surround, and multiple moniters, which we all know is painful, but am i doing something wrong here, why is my resolution not 5760 x 1080? just to clarify, all moniters are the same, same make, model and age. (ACER H223HQ) gfx card = 650ti (factory overclock with 2gb ram) windows 7 64bit amd phenom X6 1055t processor 4gb ram thanks for any help guys :) insomaniac
hi guys, new to forum,

im currently running the 650ti OC and my main problem, is i have 3 21.5" 1920 1080, acer moniters. and cannot for the life of me get 5760 x 1080

2 are running on dvi. 1 is hdmi, the max resolution i can get is about 3800 x 960 (i didnt write it down before making this post, and now i cant check without closing google....... ughh)

i am having to switch between surround, and multiple moniters, which we all know is painful, but am i doing something wrong here, why is my resolution not 5760 x 1080?

just to clarify, all moniters are the same, same make, model and age. (ACER H223HQ)
gfx card = 650ti (factory overclock with 2gb ram)
windows 7 64bit
amd phenom X6 1055t processor
4gb ram

thanks for any help guys :)

insomaniac

Posted 01/10/2013 08:51 AM   
SGAJesusFreak. I'm on a GTX 680. Since my last post I have noticed that sometimes the win + P method does not persist between reboots. This appears, however, to be due to a very idiosyncratic setup I have. Sometimes I use a DVI switch to change the input of one of the three monitors to feed a separate computer. So my Nvidia card has to suddenly cope with a sudden switch to two monitors (from it's point of view). That seems to throw off the win + P settings. insomaniac, when I setup surround via Nvidia Control Panel (for my 3 X 1680 x 1050 monitors) it never switches automatically to the desired resolution (like 5760 x 1080). After the "3D Settings > Configure surround, PHysx > Surround Configuration > Configuration ..." wizard completes I have to go into (still in Nvidia Control Panel) "Display > Change Resolution" to choose the maximum resolution. Does this procedure work for you?
SGAJesusFreak. I'm on a GTX 680.

Since my last post I have noticed that sometimes the win + P method does not persist between reboots. This appears, however, to be due to a very idiosyncratic setup I have. Sometimes I use a DVI switch to change the input of one of the three monitors to feed a separate computer. So my Nvidia card has to suddenly cope with a sudden switch to two monitors (from it's point of view). That seems to throw off the win + P settings.

insomaniac, when I setup surround via Nvidia Control Panel (for my 3 X 1680 x 1050 monitors) it never switches automatically to the desired resolution (like 5760 x 1080). After the "3D Settings > Configure surround, PHysx > Surround Configuration > Configuration ..." wizard completes I have to go into (still in Nvidia Control Panel) "Display > Change Resolution" to choose the maximum resolution. Does this procedure work for you?

Posted 01/11/2013 10:21 AM   
  1 / 4    
Scroll To Top