GeForce 9600M GS - Windows 8 Black Screen
When I installed the optional Windows 8 Update "nVidia - Graphics Adapter WDDM1.1, Graphics Adapter WDDM1.2, Other hardware - NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GS" using Windows Update I get a black screen when booting after I get to the Windows Lock Screen or sometimes I get past that screen and type my password and then screen goes black and the Windows Start screen never comes up. I have a HP TouchSmart IQ816t PC. The only work-around I found was to roll back the driver using Device Manager. I don't get a black screen anymore and the Driver Version is 8.17.12.9619 with a Driver Date of 3/6/2012. The nVidia Control Panel is showing 296.19. I also tried installing the GeForce 306.97 and GeForce 310.22 Beta drivers but the install program won't install anything because it can't find any compatible hardware. Is a new Windows Update coming for the NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GS graphics adapter to fix this black screen problem?
When I installed the optional Windows 8 Update "nVidia - Graphics Adapter WDDM1.1, Graphics Adapter WDDM1.2, Other hardware - NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GS" using Windows Update I get a black screen when booting after I get to the Windows Lock Screen or sometimes I get past that screen and type my password and then screen goes black and the Windows Start screen never comes up. I have a HP TouchSmart IQ816t PC. The only work-around I found was to roll back the driver using Device Manager. I don't get a black screen anymore and the Driver Version is 8.17.12.9619 with a Driver Date of 3/6/2012. The nVidia Control Panel is showing 296.19. I also tried installing the GeForce 306.97 and GeForce 310.22 Beta drivers but the install program won't install anything because it can't find any compatible hardware. Is a new Windows Update coming for the NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GS graphics adapter to fix this black screen problem?

Posted 11/05/2012 08:30 PM   
I have got the same problem on my GTX 470. No matter what driver I use I get a black screen at Windows 8 Pro login. I have tried every single suggestion there is to do with this problem and others I have found, this includes the one on the Nvidia support driver section. My GTX 470 just does not work with Windows 8. I have tried safe mode, roll back, uninstall with network disconnected, everything. Just to get Windows 8 working so I could post this I put a "different" brand of GPU in my PC and it has worked out of the box straight away and with full graphics support. Can someone let me know if the GTX 470 and other cards as just not supported my Windows 8 as yet? Right now I cannot play any games and my purchase of a 680 not going to happen next month as this rate and another brand will have to get my money and I don't want this to happen again. Bit of background for you, I am an ITC Technician and have been a IT department manager for 6 years.
I have got the same problem on my GTX 470. No matter what driver I use I get a black screen at Windows 8 Pro login.

I have tried every single suggestion there is to do with this problem and others I have found, this includes the one on the Nvidia support driver section.

My GTX 470 just does not work with Windows 8. I have tried safe mode, roll back, uninstall with network disconnected, everything.

Just to get Windows 8 working so I could post this I put a "different" brand of GPU in my PC and it has worked out of the box straight away and with full graphics support.

Can someone let me know if the GTX 470 and other cards as just not supported my Windows 8 as yet? Right now I cannot play any games and my purchase of a 680 not going to happen next month as this rate and another brand will have to get my money and I don't want this to happen again.

Bit of background for you, I am an ITC Technician and have been a IT department manager for 6 years.

Posted 11/16/2012 03:54 PM   
Same problem here. HP Touchsmart 810, when I boot up I have to immediately proceed to the Device Manager to disable my Nvidia Driver - otherwise I'll get the black screen within a minute or two of use. I've uninstalled the driver, explored all the drivers on the website, uninstalled device, reinstalled, etc. with no luck at all. The only way I can play games is to start the game (while the NVIDIA driver is disabled, switch out to enable the driver, and then jump back into the game (before it crashes) Once in a game though - I can play for hours. Currently using Driver Version 9.18.13.697. Pondering whether I want to open go through opening up this all-in-one unit to swap out the card and never touching an NVIDIA driver again. Any help you can provide NVIDIA would be great.
Same problem here.

HP Touchsmart 810, when I boot up I have to immediately proceed to the Device Manager to disable my Nvidia Driver - otherwise I'll get the black screen within a minute or two of use.

I've uninstalled the driver, explored all the drivers on the website, uninstalled device, reinstalled, etc. with no luck at all. The only way I can play games is to start the game (while the NVIDIA driver is disabled, switch out to enable the driver, and then jump back into the game (before it crashes) Once in a game though - I can play for hours.

Currently using Driver Version 9.18.13.697. Pondering whether I want to open go through opening up this all-in-one unit to swap out the card and never touching an NVIDIA driver again. Any help you can provide NVIDIA would be great.

Posted 11/17/2012 03:24 PM   
I was able install the regular desktop 310.54 Beta Driver for my GeForce 9600M GS GPU but I still had the same black screen problems. I was able to resolve my black screen issue after some more research. I guess HP made some customizations on the GPU in my HP TouchSmart IQ816t PC. I was able to fix my problem by disabling Windows 8 automatic device installation and then downloaded the last Windows 7 driver released from the HP support website for the GeForce 9600M GS GPU in for my HP TouchSmart IQ816t PC. I included the link I found below in a Microsoft Answers forum that has the instructions that fixed my problem. A stable PC is a beautiful thing! http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-hardware/nvidia-flicker-display-and-crash-to-black-screen/b635f674-aa4e-44cb-8493-73b072949f36
I was able install the regular desktop 310.54 Beta Driver for my GeForce 9600M GS GPU but I still had the same black screen problems. I was able to resolve my black screen issue after some more research. I guess HP made some customizations on the GPU in my HP TouchSmart IQ816t PC. I was able to fix my problem by disabling Windows 8 automatic device installation and then downloaded the last Windows 7 driver released from the HP support website for the GeForce 9600M GS GPU in for my HP TouchSmart IQ816t PC. I included the link I found below in a Microsoft Answers forum that has the instructions that fixed my problem. A stable PC is a beautiful thing!

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-hardware/nvidia-flicker-display-and-crash-to-black-screen/b635f674-aa4e-44cb-8493-73b072949f36

Posted 11/18/2012 05:35 PM   
Scroll To Top