GeForce GTX 660 M Vs Quadro K1000/2000M
I am about to begin a Masters of Architecture program, and am concerned about getting a fairly high performance laptop that will last for the next 4 years or so.

I would like to buy a Lenovo Ideapad Y580, since it is quite powerful (New Intel Ivy Bridge Processor, 8 GB RAM) for a very reasonable price, and offers the GTX 660 M GPU. I realize that I could spend about twice as much money to get a Thinkpad W530 with a faster processor, and either a Quadro K1000 M or K2000 M (even more $$$). Would these be worth it, or will I be able to handle 3D modeling, AutoCAD, and Adobe Creative Suite just fine with the Geforce GTX 660M?

Thank you,
I am about to begin a Masters of Architecture program, and am concerned about getting a fairly high performance laptop that will last for the next 4 years or so.

I would like to buy a Lenovo Ideapad Y580, since it is quite powerful (New Intel Ivy Bridge Processor, 8 GB RAM) for a very reasonable price, and offers the GTX 660 M GPU. I realize that I could spend about twice as much money to get a Thinkpad W530 with a faster processor, and either a Quadro K1000 M or K2000 M (even more $$$). Would these be worth it, or will I be able to handle 3D modeling, AutoCAD, and Adobe Creative Suite just fine with the Geforce GTX 660M?

Thank you,

Posted 06/25/2012 10:06 PM   
The Lenovo Y580 is the best choice price vs hardware, i use it for about 3 months now and i'm quite impressed how it perform. I also use Photoshop CS6 and Premiere. If you want to squeeze the last drop from 660M, may need to buy the Asus G55 instead because its RAMDAC is overclocked to 6GHz vs Y580's 5GHz, but the Asus is twice as heavy and thick, almost an desktop replacement. Hope i helped :)
The Lenovo Y580 is the best choice price vs hardware, i use it for about 3 months now and i'm quite impressed how it perform. I also use Photoshop CS6 and Premiere. If you want to squeeze the last drop from 660M, may need to buy the Asus G55 instead because its RAMDAC is overclocked to 6GHz vs Y580's 5GHz, but the Asus is twice as heavy and thick, almost an desktop replacement.

Hope i helped :)

Posted 11/05/2012 09:13 AM   
Also the Asus G55vw doesn't overheat due to it's awesome cooling system.
Also the Asus G55vw doesn't overheat due to it's awesome cooling system.

Posted 11/06/2012 01:54 AM   
i have the overheating issue with the stock drivers that came with my rig (Y580), but nvidia solved that with 306.97 because of software incompatibility or something similar. So the idea is install always the newest drivers from the geforce website :)
i have the overheating issue with the stock drivers that came with my rig (Y580), but nvidia solved that with 306.97 because of software incompatibility or something similar. So the idea is install always the newest drivers from the geforce website :)

Posted 11/08/2012 11:11 AM   
Scroll To Top