FFXIV and GTX 680 - Playable Settings
[b]nVidia GTX 680 and Intel i7-3820[/b]

No matter what I do, I cannot run FFXIV at max settings. I am starting to think the PC to do this does not yet exist.

I seem to have found a sweet spot in my settings for FFXIV. I have had no crashes for over two days now, even after hours of playing. Maybe this will help someone else.

[i]One[/i]

Do you get notifications that the display driver has stopped responding and successfully recovered?

If so, you need to resolve this problem first. The way the FFXIV client works with DirectX causes it to exit if the display driver resets (playing fullscreen or windowed), or if another application takes focus (playing fullscreen). No amount of graphics tweaking will fix FFXIV crashing if the display driver resets, because the client will lose its DirectX instance and is unable to acquire a new one until restarted.

[i]Two[/i]

Something that has greatly improved stability is setting up a custom fan profile using EVGA Precision X (my card is EVGA, so I have not tried MSI Afterburner).

The fan control on the GTX600 series is horrible. Without a custom fan profile my GTX 680 will reach 77 to 80 Celsius in moments, eventually resulting in the DirectX error. I have the fan set to 30% for 0 to 30 Celsius, then matching 40% to 40 Celsius, 50% to 50 Celsius, etc., and finally 100% for 85 Celsius and over. I have set the period to 5000 milliseconds to prevent constant hitting fan speed update.

At 70 Celsius my stock fan speed used to be at about 33% still! I wish nVidia would give us a tool to ajust the fan profile and save it to the BIOS of the card, instead of having to have another app running in the background to do this. Now my FFXIV runs at 45 to 65 Celsius, depending on the area in the game!

[b]Important[/b]: Remember to start "EVGA Precision" BEFORE running the game. If you attempt to launch it once the game is running and a UAC dialog pops you are guarenteed a FFXIV DirectX error!

[i]Three[/i]

Run FFXIV in full screen mode at your own peril. Too many things can take focus, and even a stupid button press can make the game lose focus. Full screen mode and a focus change will guarantee a DirectX error. This is very annoying because of the lost screen real estate, but at least I can play for hours on end.

FFXIV v2.0 will not have this issue any longer, or so I've been reading. It will gracefully re-acquire a DirectX instance.

[i]Four[/i]

I am using the beta 304.48 drivers. They have made quite a bit of difference for me.

nVidia Control Panel -> Manage 3D Settings -> Program Settings

Uncheck the "Show only programs found on this computer" box. It NEVER finds my installed games, so I have to find them in the list myself.

Set everything to application controlled, except the following:

Ambient Occlusion: Off [i](Should be greyed out anyway)[/i]
Antialiasing - FXAA: Off
Antialiasing - Gamma correction: On
Antialiasing - Transparency: Off [i](With this on I get in-game drawing glitches)[/i]
CUDA - GPUs: All
Power management mode: Adaptive
Texture filtering - Anisotropic sample optimization: Off
Texture filtering - Negative LOD bias: Clamp
Texture filtering - Quality: Quality
Texture filtering - Trilinear optimization: On
Threaded optimization: Auto
Triple buffering: Off
Vertical sync: Adaptive (half refresh rate)

The adaptive vertical sync used to be extremely jerky in the other drivers, but with this setting in FFXIV I am amazed how smooth it is. I use half refresh rate because my monitors are 60 Hz, and FFXIV tends to run at 58-60, causing adaptive at full refesh rate to be very jerky and causing screen tearing every so often.

[i]Five[/i]

FFXIV Config - Video Settings

Multisampling: 16xQ CSAA
General Drawing quality: 8 - Standard [i](Anything higher = stutter on my i7-3820)[/i]
Background Drawing Quality 3 - Standard
Shadow Detail - High [i](Produce good shadows and good frame rate, lower settings actually cause artifacts!)[/i]

FFXIV Config - Graphics

Ambient Occlusion - Off [i](This drop my FPS to 18!)[/i]
Depth of Field - On or Off [i](Depends on preference, I tried both for a day each)[/i]
Texture Quality - Standard [i](See below)[/i]
Texture Filtering - Highest

Regarding the texture quality:
The FFXIV client seems to have major issues when loading high textures. It seems to halt drawing to the screen, wait for info from the server to look up the correct textures, load textures, then start drawing again. Stutter... stutter... every time a character comes into view, or when I turn.

At standard there is still a bit of a stutter, but far less.

[i]Six[/i]

In game settings

Turn off dust effects, and extended drawing, and set FPS to 60.

Extended drawing produce varying degrees of frame drop, all very noticable even on a GTX 680 and i7-3820 CPU. Disabling dust effects seem to cause less stuttering when moving around outside cities.

[i]Notes[/i]

The GTX 680 and a decent processor is quite capable of running FFXIV with high textures, ONCE the FFXIV client has loaded the textures and you stand still, and no new character come into view. However, loading the high textures of visible items on screen seems to be extremely tough on the current client.

Hopefully SE will reconsider the way they store and load textures in v2.0.
nVidia GTX 680 and Intel i7-3820

No matter what I do, I cannot run FFXIV at max settings. I am starting to think the PC to do this does not yet exist.

I seem to have found a sweet spot in my settings for FFXIV. I have had no crashes for over two days now, even after hours of playing. Maybe this will help someone else.

One

Do you get notifications that the display driver has stopped responding and successfully recovered?

If so, you need to resolve this problem first. The way the FFXIV client works with DirectX causes it to exit if the display driver resets (playing fullscreen or windowed), or if another application takes focus (playing fullscreen). No amount of graphics tweaking will fix FFXIV crashing if the display driver resets, because the client will lose its DirectX instance and is unable to acquire a new one until restarted.

Two

Something that has greatly improved stability is setting up a custom fan profile using EVGA Precision X (my card is EVGA, so I have not tried MSI Afterburner).

The fan control on the GTX600 series is horrible. Without a custom fan profile my GTX 680 will reach 77 to 80 Celsius in moments, eventually resulting in the DirectX error. I have the fan set to 30% for 0 to 30 Celsius, then matching 40% to 40 Celsius, 50% to 50 Celsius, etc., and finally 100% for 85 Celsius and over. I have set the period to 5000 milliseconds to prevent constant hitting fan speed update.

At 70 Celsius my stock fan speed used to be at about 33% still! I wish nVidia would give us a tool to ajust the fan profile and save it to the BIOS of the card, instead of having to have another app running in the background to do this. Now my FFXIV runs at 45 to 65 Celsius, depending on the area in the game!

Important: Remember to start "EVGA Precision" BEFORE running the game. If you attempt to launch it once the game is running and a UAC dialog pops you are guarenteed a FFXIV DirectX error!

Three

Run FFXIV in full screen mode at your own peril. Too many things can take focus, and even a stupid button press can make the game lose focus. Full screen mode and a focus change will guarantee a DirectX error. This is very annoying because of the lost screen real estate, but at least I can play for hours on end.

FFXIV v2.0 will not have this issue any longer, or so I've been reading. It will gracefully re-acquire a DirectX instance.

Four

I am using the beta 304.48 drivers. They have made quite a bit of difference for me.

nVidia Control Panel -> Manage 3D Settings -> Program Settings

Uncheck the "Show only programs found on this computer" box. It NEVER finds my installed games, so I have to find them in the list myself.

Set everything to application controlled, except the following:

Ambient Occlusion: Off (Should be greyed out anyway)

Antialiasing - FXAA: Off

Antialiasing - Gamma correction: On

Antialiasing - Transparency: Off (With this on I get in-game drawing glitches)

CUDA - GPUs: All

Power management mode: Adaptive

Texture filtering - Anisotropic sample optimization: Off

Texture filtering - Negative LOD bias: Clamp

Texture filtering - Quality: Quality

Texture filtering - Trilinear optimization: On

Threaded optimization: Auto

Triple buffering: Off

Vertical sync: Adaptive (half refresh rate)

The adaptive vertical sync used to be extremely jerky in the other drivers, but with this setting in FFXIV I am amazed how smooth it is. I use half refresh rate because my monitors are 60 Hz, and FFXIV tends to run at 58-60, causing adaptive at full refesh rate to be very jerky and causing screen tearing every so often.

Five

FFXIV Config - Video Settings

Multisampling: 16xQ CSAA

General Drawing quality: 8 - Standard (Anything higher = stutter on my i7-3820)

Background Drawing Quality 3 - Standard

Shadow Detail - High (Produce good shadows and good frame rate, lower settings actually cause artifacts!)

FFXIV Config - Graphics

Ambient Occlusion - Off (This drop my FPS to 18!)

Depth of Field - On or Off (Depends on preference, I tried both for a day each)

Texture Quality - Standard (See below)

Texture Filtering - Highest

Regarding the texture quality:

The FFXIV client seems to have major issues when loading high textures. It seems to halt drawing to the screen, wait for info from the server to look up the correct textures, load textures, then start drawing again. Stutter... stutter... every time a character comes into view, or when I turn.

At standard there is still a bit of a stutter, but far less.

Six

In game settings

Turn off dust effects, and extended drawing, and set FPS to 60.

Extended drawing produce varying degrees of frame drop, all very noticable even on a GTX 680 and i7-3820 CPU. Disabling dust effects seem to cause less stuttering when moving around outside cities.

Notes

The GTX 680 and a decent processor is quite capable of running FFXIV with high textures, ONCE the FFXIV client has loaded the textures and you stand still, and no new character come into view. However, loading the high textures of visible items on screen seems to be extremely tough on the current client.

Hopefully SE will reconsider the way they store and load textures in v2.0.

EVGA X79 FTW (151-SE-E777-KR) - Firmware v037

EVGA GTX 680 SC (02G-P4-2682-KR) (Factory OC) - PCIe 2.0 - Firmware v80.04.09.00.A3 - Driver v304.48

Intel i7-3820 (BX80619I73820) (Stock Speed)

Corsair HX850W (CMPSU-850HX)

Corsair Dominator 8GB (CMT8GX3M2B2133C9) (XMP Profile 1 Speed) (1.560V)

Cooler Master Storm Trooper (SGC-5000-KKN1)

Western Digital Caviar Black 500G x2 (WD5002AALX) - Intel RSTe for C600 (RAID0) v3.1.0.1068

Pioneer BDR-207 (BDR207DBK)

Windows 7 x64 Enterprise SP 1

Samsung 2494SW x2 - Using DVI-D

RealTek ALC898 on board audio - Driver v2.70

ASMedia ASM1042 on board USB 3.0 - Firmware v111222_0E_02_5E - Driver v1.14.8.0

APC XS1300 UP

Posted 06/25/2012 06:10 PM   
Scroll To Top