Geforce 600 Series Gen3 Support On X79 Platform Updated 6/19/2012
  1 / 12    
GeForce GTX 680 and GTX 670 GPUs support PCI Express 3.0. They operate properly within the SIG PCI Express Specification and have been validated on multiple PCI Express 3.0 platforms. Some motherboard manufacturers have released an updated SBIOS to enable the Intel X79/SNB-E PCI Express 2.0 platform to run at up to 8GT/s bus speeds. We have tested GeForce GTX 680 and GTX 670 GPUs across a number of X79/SNB-E platforms at 8GT/s bus speeds, but have seen significant variation in signal timing across different motherboards and CPUs. Therefore we’ve decided to only support and guarantee PCI Express 2.0 bus speeds on X79/SNB-E with our standard release drivers. Native PCI Express 3.0 platforms (like Ivy Bridge) will run at 8GT/s bus speeds with our standard release drivers.

Though we cannot officially support or guarantee 8GT/s speeds for X79/SNB-E, you can manually enable faster 8GT/s bus speeds (at your own risk) on GTX 680 or GTX 670 GPUs using the following executable: force-enable-gen3.exe

If you would like to revert back to 5GT/s bus speeds you can do so by running the following command from the DOS command line: “force-enable-gen3.exe –revert”

You will need to reboot your system for the changes to take effect.

[url="http://nvidiaforums.s3.amazonaws.com/force-enable-gen3.exe"]Click here to download force-enable-gen3.exe[/url]
GeForce GTX 680 and GTX 670 GPUs support PCI Express 3.0. They operate properly within the SIG PCI Express Specification and have been validated on multiple PCI Express 3.0 platforms. Some motherboard manufacturers have released an updated SBIOS to enable the Intel X79/SNB-E PCI Express 2.0 platform to run at up to 8GT/s bus speeds. We have tested GeForce GTX 680 and GTX 670 GPUs across a number of X79/SNB-E platforms at 8GT/s bus speeds, but have seen significant variation in signal timing across different motherboards and CPUs. Therefore we’ve decided to only support and guarantee PCI Express 2.0 bus speeds on X79/SNB-E with our standard release drivers. Native PCI Express 3.0 platforms (like Ivy Bridge) will run at 8GT/s bus speeds with our standard release drivers.

Though we cannot officially support or guarantee 8GT/s speeds for X79/SNB-E, you can manually enable faster 8GT/s bus speeds (at your own risk) on GTX 680 or GTX 670 GPUs using the following executable: force-enable-gen3.exe

If you would like to revert back to 5GT/s bus speeds you can do so by running the following command from the DOS command line: “force-enable-gen3.exe –revert”

Click here to download force-enable-gen3.exe

We can't fix your bug if we can't reproduce it. Please provide as much details as possible including specs, steps to reproduce, graphics settings used, etc..

For GeForce driver issues, please leave feedback in driver feedback form: Driver Feedback

For SHIELD Android TV issues/requests, please leave feedback in the SHIELD feedback form: SHIELD Feedback

For SHIELD Tablet issues/requests, please leave feedback in the SHIELD Tablet feedback form: SHIELD Tablet Feedback

I am also available on Twitter:
www.twitter.com/manuelguzman

Posted 06/19/2012 10:09 PM   
Thanks for the update , but its not fully satisfying to be honest. First of all X79 is a FLAGSHIP platform for multiple GPU's - how do You want to encourage people to use dual GTX690 or triple or quad GTX680/670 if You cannot provide a driver enabling pcie 3.0 natively thus makeing people able to overcome the bottleneck of PCIE 2.0 ? Another question is (You included it in faq but still im curious) how is it possible that those diffrences in timings accros mobos doesnt prevent AMD from supporting PCIE 3.0 natively ?? This doesnt makes any sense to me . ANd 3rd and last question - are the timings on Rampage IV Extreme good for PCIE 3.0 spec? How it performs in that matter compared to other motherboard (if You cannot reply here please PM me)? I ask as i own Rampage IV extreme board and im curious if the timings on this mobo are in spec of PCIE 3.0. To be honest i would like to know that info if i m going to start playing with this enabler...
Thanks for the update , but its not fully satisfying to be honest. First of all X79 is a FLAGSHIP platform for multiple GPU's - how do You want to encourage people to use dual GTX690 or triple or quad GTX680/670 if You cannot provide a driver enabling pcie 3.0 natively thus makeing people able to overcome the bottleneck of PCIE 2.0 ? Another question is (You included it in faq but still im curious) how is it possible that those diffrences in timings accros mobos doesnt prevent AMD from supporting PCIE 3.0 natively ?? This doesnt makes any sense to me . ANd 3rd and last question - are the timings on Rampage IV Extreme good for PCIE 3.0 spec? How it performs in that matter compared to other motherboard (if You cannot reply here please PM me)? I ask as i own Rampage IV extreme board and im curious if the timings on this mobo are in spec of PCIE 3.0. To be honest i would like to know that info if i m going to start playing with this enabler...

Posted 06/19/2012 10:24 PM   
This may, very well, not be the desired answer that everyone was looking for. However, the reasoning of why you cannot provide this guaranteed certified support is completely understandable. Granted, this platform is the flagship powerhouse platform that first introduced the option of PCI-E 3.0 when it was announced, but there wasn't anything to test that technology with at the time to stabilize it and guarantee it's functionality thusly. I literally just put my order in for my x79 setup w/ 2 x GTX 670 FTW models from EVGA just two days ago. Afterwards, while looking at the varied results of other user's GTX 670s, I just happened across this PCI-E 3.0 support issue. By that point, I was too late to cancel my order, which I don't think I would have done even if I could have, honestly. I know there are various things users have done to work around this issue, but would like an official driver support release from Nvidia to enable it without having to put a "bandage" on it.

At this point, based on your announcement, it's apparent that this will never happen. However, it is greatly appreciated that you have released an executable file to switch on this functionality for those that can utilize it, as well as, a command to run to switch it off if stability becomes an issue. I, for one, will likely create a series of script / batch files to convert to executables that I can just pin to my taskbar and use them as an on/off for testing until I discover how stable it will be with my system. Thank you for fulfilling on your promise to respond back to the community in the timely fashion that you did. Regardless of the outcome, good or bad, it still shows that Nvidia cares about it's client base and that speaks volumes.

Best of luck on the responses from the rest of the community. I know there will be some that are far less understanding of this. /confused.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':confused:' />

...and yes, this is my first post.
This may, very well, not be the desired answer that everyone was looking for. However, the reasoning of why you cannot provide this guaranteed certified support is completely understandable. Granted, this platform is the flagship powerhouse platform that first introduced the option of PCI-E 3.0 when it was announced, but there wasn't anything to test that technology with at the time to stabilize it and guarantee it's functionality thusly. I literally just put my order in for my x79 setup w/ 2 x GTX 670 FTW models from EVGA just two days ago. Afterwards, while looking at the varied results of other user's GTX 670s, I just happened across this PCI-E 3.0 support issue. By that point, I was too late to cancel my order, which I don't think I would have done even if I could have, honestly. I know there are various things users have done to work around this issue, but would like an official driver support release from Nvidia to enable it without having to put a "bandage" on it.

At this point, based on your announcement, it's apparent that this will never happen. However, it is greatly appreciated that you have released an executable file to switch on this functionality for those that can utilize it, as well as, a command to run to switch it off if stability becomes an issue. I, for one, will likely create a series of script / batch files to convert to executables that I can just pin to my taskbar and use them as an on/off for testing until I discover how stable it will be with my system. Thank you for fulfilling on your promise to respond back to the community in the timely fashion that you did. Regardless of the outcome, good or bad, it still shows that Nvidia cares about it's client base and that speaks volumes.

Best of luck on the responses from the rest of the community. I know there will be some that are far less understanding of this. /confused.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':confused:' />

...and yes, this is my first post.

Posted 06/20/2012 12:07 AM   
Kinda weak excuse, could you please post which mainboards have weaker signal. This is a must have info!

So this means IvyBridge-E won't have it enabled either on X79? Because Im planing to go x79 + IB-E in the near future and probably another nv pcie3.0 gpu in it.
Kinda weak excuse, could you please post which mainboards have weaker signal. This is a must have info!

So this means IvyBridge-E won't have it enabled either on X79? Because Im planing to go x79 + IB-E in the near future and probably another nv pcie3.0 gpu in it.

GPU: ZOTAC GTX 980 Ti Amp!Omega OC
Monitor: EIZO Foris FS2333 [DVI-D]
CPU: Intel i7 4770K @ 4.7GHz [1.285v] | Corsair H90 custom P/P fans
Mainboard: Asus Z87-Deluxe [Bios 2103]
Ram:G.skill TridentX 16GB CL10/1T @ 2400MHz [1.65v]
Sound:Creative X-FI Titanium HD [Pcie SB1270]
HDD: Intel SSD 330 180GB; Samsung MX300 525GB
PSU: Chieftec NiTRO88+ 650w [52A]

Posted 06/20/2012 12:31 AM   
Never say never.

The likely (most likely) issue is the implementation on the mainboard itself, the cpu is designed in line with sig3 specs, its now up to mainboard vendors to recall and replace or send out notices and prepare a new SKU with the pipe timing implemented correctly.
Never say never.

The likely (most likely) issue is the implementation on the mainboard itself, the cpu is designed in line with sig3 specs, its now up to mainboard vendors to recall and replace or send out notices and prepare a new SKU with the pipe timing implemented correctly.

In Memory of Chris "ChrisRay" Arthington, 1982-2010

Specs:
CPU:Intel Xeon x5690 @ 4.2Ghz, Mainboard:Asus Rampage III Extreme, Memory:48GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600
Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Founders Edition, NVidia Geforce GTX 1060 Founders Edition
Monitor:ROG PG279Q, BenQ BL2211, Sound:Creative XFI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
SDD:Crucial MX300 275, Crucial MX300 525, Crucial MX300 1000
HDD:500GB Spinpoint F3, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Red, 1TB WD Black
Case:NZXT Phantom 820, PSU:Seasonic X-850, OS:Windows 7 SP1
Cooler: ThermalRight Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme

CPU:Intel Xeon x5670 @ 3.8Gz, Mainboard:Asus Rampage II Gene, Memory:24GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600
Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 680+ 4GB
Monitor:55" Thorn TV, Sound:Sony Muteki 7.1
SDD:Crucial MX200 250, HDD: 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3
Case:NZXT Phantom 410, PSU:Corsair 620HX, OS:Windows 10
Cooler: ThermalRight TRUE Spirit 120M BW Rev.A

Posted 06/20/2012 02:49 AM   
[quote name='ManuelG' date='20 June 2012 - 05:09 AM' timestamp='1340143754' post='1423677']

[url="http://nvidiaforums.s3.amazonaws.com/force-enable-gen3.exe"]Click here to download force-enable-gen3.exe[/url]
[/quote]

Does this executable work on every version of current Windows 7 (32 & 64 bit) and upcoming Windows 8?
[quote name='ManuelG' date='20 June 2012 - 05:09 AM' timestamp='1340143754' post='1423677']

Click here to download force-enable-gen3.exe

Does this executable work on every version of current Windows 7 (32 & 64 bit) and upcoming Windows 8?

Posted 06/20/2012 04:24 AM   
First thank you for the reply. If you could please release the table of pass/fail boards or whatever information you have it would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Edit. Also is your executable any different from the current reg hack that is floating around in terms of its implementation?
First thank you for the reply. If you could please release the table of pass/fail boards or whatever information you have it would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Edit. Also is your executable any different from the current reg hack that is floating around in terms of its implementation?

CASE: Corsair 600T Mesh

CPU: i7 3820@4.3

MOBO: x79 Sabertooth BIOS 0906

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866

GPU: 2x 680 (w/ PCIe 3.0 hack applied)

COOLING: H70 CORE w/ Scythe Ultra Kaze in push/pull@ 2400/2200

PSU:Seasonic 750W Gold

Posted 06/20/2012 01:23 PM   
Hello ManuelG,

Will this executable work for future graphics cards? I won't be buying a GTX680 but will most likely be getting a 780 or whatever they will be called. Also a list of x79 boards you know it works with would be great.
Hello ManuelG,

Will this executable work for future graphics cards? I won't be buying a GTX680 but will most likely be getting a 780 or whatever they will be called. Also a list of x79 boards you know it works with would be great.

Core i7 3930k @ 4.5 GHz
16GB 1600MHz Quad Channel memory
SLI 2x Asus GTX 980
Asrock X79 Extreme 4 Bios rev 3.00
Creative Sound Blaster Z
Windows 10 64
OCZ 1250 Watt PSU
Dell SP2208WFP Monitor

Posted 06/20/2012 01:33 PM   
[quote name='HelloThere' date='20 June 2012 - 06:23 AM' timestamp='1340198601' post='1423979']

Thank you.

[/quote]

We can not release a table like that because variation also exists with CPUs tested.

[quote name='Lone Wanderer' date='20 June 2012 - 06:33 AM' timestamp='1340199191' post='1423980']
Hello ManuelG,

[/quote]

It should work with any of our PCI-E 3.0 boards.

[quote name='keigo_kanzaki' date='19 June 2012 - 09:24 PM' timestamp='1340166280' post='1423814']
[/quote]

Yes to Windows 7. Not sure if it has been verified with Windows 8 yet. I will need to check with the software team.
[quote name='HelloThere' date='20 June 2012 - 06:23 AM' timestamp='1340198601' post='1423979']

Thank you.

We can not release a table like that because variation also exists with CPUs tested.

[quote name='Lone Wanderer' date='20 June 2012 - 06:33 AM' timestamp='1340199191' post='1423980']

Hello ManuelG,

It should work with any of our PCI-E 3.0 boards.

[quote name='keigo_kanzaki' date='19 June 2012 - 09:24 PM' timestamp='1340166280' post='1423814']

Yes to Windows 7. Not sure if it has been verified with Windows 8 yet. I will need to check with the software team.

We can't fix your bug if we can't reproduce it. Please provide as much details as possible including specs, steps to reproduce, graphics settings used, etc..

For GeForce driver issues, please leave feedback in driver feedback form: Driver Feedback

For SHIELD Android TV issues/requests, please leave feedback in the SHIELD feedback form: SHIELD Feedback

For SHIELD Tablet issues/requests, please leave feedback in the SHIELD Tablet feedback form: SHIELD Tablet Feedback

I am also available on Twitter:
www.twitter.com/manuelguzman

Posted 06/20/2012 03:27 PM   
[quote name='ManuelG' date='20 June 2012 - 03:27 PM' timestamp='1340206061' post='1424036']

It should work with any of our PCI-E Gen3 boards.

[/quote]

nVidia make 2011 boards, since when? I hope nvidia aren't going to just abandon PCI-E 3 support on the x79 platform once Ivy Bridge E are released, because it's looking like they will. AMD 70xx series cards all work at PCI-E 3 speeds on x79 boards.
[quote name='ManuelG' date='20 June 2012 - 03:27 PM' timestamp='1340206061' post='1424036']

It should work with any of our PCI-E Gen3 boards.

nVidia make 2011 boards, since when? I hope nvidia aren't going to just abandon PCI-E 3 support on the x79 platform once Ivy Bridge E are released, because it's looking like they will. AMD 70xx series cards all work at PCI-E 3 speeds on x79 boards.

Core i7 3930k @ 4.5 GHz
16GB 1600MHz Quad Channel memory
SLI 2x Asus GTX 980
Asrock X79 Extreme 4 Bios rev 3.00
Creative Sound Blaster Z
Windows 10 64
OCZ 1250 Watt PSU
Dell SP2208WFP Monitor

Posted 06/20/2012 05:11 PM   
I've had an issue with my GTX 670 crashing and apparently switching to PCI-E 2.0 from PCI-E 3.0 is really the only fix for the crashing at the moment, just want to make sure I properly switched over.

Went into my Asus P8Z77-V motherboard and changed my 2 PCI-E slots to Generation 2 from Generation 3, and at start up it I get a little message on one of the loading screens that I am running Generation 2. This is all I had to do to properly switch over, correct?

[edit]:

It appears that with my Z77 motherboard, it is already automatically set to Second Generation PCI-E so that wouldn't have been a fix in the first place. Not sure what the problem is. Pretty disappointing with the video card seeing as I just got it and there has been a lot of recalls already.
I've had an issue with my GTX 670 crashing and apparently switching to PCI-E 2.0 from PCI-E 3.0 is really the only fix for the crashing at the moment, just want to make sure I properly switched over.

Went into my Asus P8Z77-V motherboard and changed my 2 PCI-E slots to Generation 2 from Generation 3, and at start up it I get a little message on one of the loading screens that I am running Generation 2. This is all I had to do to properly switch over, correct?

[edit]:

It appears that with my Z77 motherboard, it is already automatically set to Second Generation PCI-E so that wouldn't have been a fix in the first place. Not sure what the problem is. Pretty disappointing with the video card seeing as I just got it and there has been a lot of recalls already.

Posted 06/20/2012 06:01 PM   
Umm to the above poster this is a x79 thread. Might want to post that somewhere else.
Umm to the above poster this is a x79 thread. Might want to post that somewhere else.

CASE: Corsair 600T Mesh

CPU: i7 3820@4.3

MOBO: x79 Sabertooth BIOS 0906

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866

GPU: 2x 680 (w/ PCIe 3.0 hack applied)

COOLING: H70 CORE w/ Scythe Ultra Kaze in push/pull@ 2400/2200

PSU:Seasonic 750W Gold

Posted 06/20/2012 06:39 PM   
My system go freez with switch to Gen3 /confused.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':confused:' /> FPS in games go 0, and i should reset pc /omg.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':omg:' />
My system go freez with switch to Gen3 /confused.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':confused:' /> FPS in games go 0, and i should reset pc /omg.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':omg:' />

I9 7900x 4.7 |MSI x299 Gaming Pro carbon|Corsair H105 (NF-f12 pwn x2 )|32gb (4x8)Corsair lpx 3466|SLI 2x MSI 1080 Gaming X @2025|CORSAIR Neutron XT 240gb|OCZ Vertex 460 240gb|WD1002F9YZ (data)|Creative ZX|Corsair AX1200w|NZXT Phantom 630|Samsung s32d850t |Razer mamba 2012|Razer Deathstalker|Windows 10 x64 (MSDN build)

Posted 06/20/2012 07:59 PM   
[quote name='alexey1990' date='20 June 2012 - 09:59 PM' timestamp='1340222357' post='1424166']
[/quote]

And why would you want to do that?

Your 2x GTX580 aren't pcie 3.0 /turned.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':turned:' />
[quote name='alexey1990' date='20 June 2012 - 09:59 PM' timestamp='1340222357' post='1424166']

Your 2x GTX580 aren't pcie 3.0 /turned.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':turned:' />

GPU: ZOTAC GTX 980 Ti Amp!Omega OC
Monitor: EIZO Foris FS2333 [DVI-D]
CPU: Intel i7 4770K @ 4.7GHz [1.285v] | Corsair H90 custom P/P fans
Mainboard: Asus Z87-Deluxe [Bios 2103]
Ram:G.skill TridentX 16GB CL10/1T @ 2400MHz [1.65v]
Sound:Creative X-FI Titanium HD [Pcie SB1270]
HDD: Intel SSD 330 180GB; Samsung MX300 525GB
PSU: Chieftec NiTRO88+ 650w [52A]

Posted 06/20/2012 08:08 PM   
[quote name='i SPY' date='20 June 2012 - 11:08 PM' timestamp='1340222924' post='1424176']

[/quote]
Oh!! don`t upd profile! i have SLI 680
[quote name='i SPY' date='20 June 2012 - 11:08 PM' timestamp='1340222924' post='1424176']

Oh!! don`t upd profile! i have SLI 680

I9 7900x 4.7 |MSI x299 Gaming Pro carbon|Corsair H105 (NF-f12 pwn x2 )|32gb (4x8)Corsair lpx 3466|SLI 2x MSI 1080 Gaming X @2025|CORSAIR Neutron XT 240gb|OCZ Vertex 460 240gb|WD1002F9YZ (data)|Creative ZX|Corsair AX1200w|NZXT Phantom 630|Samsung s32d850t |Razer mamba 2012|Razer Deathstalker|Windows 10 x64 (MSDN build)

Posted 06/20/2012 08:39 PM   
  1 / 12    
Scroll To Top