Problems with two GTX 690 in quad SLI
Hey,

first of all I'm not a native speaker, so please bear with me, I'm trying the best I can.

I'm 22 years old and haven't ever bought or recommended any other graphics card but Nvidia's. Not because of fanboyism, but for the simple fact I never experienced any problems with them. Until now that is.

Well, I recently upgraded from two GTX 590 to two GTX 690. Lucky, rich me, right? Think again! As soon as I rebooted after installing Windows 7 x64 and all the necessary drivers (301.42*), a rather strange problem occurred. None of my displays (on any of the DVI/DPorts) woke up from standby after rebooting. Soon I figured my new graphics cards don't want me to overclock my CPU, so I hit the clear CMOS switch and everything was fine again, so I thought. Shortly after Windows was able to draw the wallpaper, my desktop froze and it didn't feel like unfreezing. So I rebooted my PC just so I can enjoy the very same problem happening again. In order to get rid of the driver I booted Windows in safe mode. Using the previous driver (301.34*) I get very random "hiccups" on the desktop and the performance in games running both cards in SLI isn't any better than using just one.

I had high hopes for the latest beta driver (304.48*), but it too freezes my desktop.

Somewhere around here I read switching back to PCIe GEN 2.0 in BIOS settings helps, but that didn't do anything.
Also, I honestly doubt the root of my problem is my PSU as it was perfectly capable of running both GTX 590 just fine. Oh, how I regret selling those GTX 590...

My system:
Intel Core i7-3930K @ 4.2 GHz
Corsair XMS3 Dominator 16GB @ 1866 MHz (CL9-10-9-27)
ASUS P9X79
Nvidia GeForce GTX 690 @ stock
Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 1200W

[i]* = Honestly, I lost track of the driver versions so I might have mixed them up! All I know for sure is that I had the exact same problems with the latest beta driver I had before with the first driver I tried like two weeks ago...[/i]
Hey,

first of all I'm not a native speaker, so please bear with me, I'm trying the best I can.

I'm 22 years old and haven't ever bought or recommended any other graphics card but Nvidia's. Not because of fanboyism, but for the simple fact I never experienced any problems with them. Until now that is.

Well, I recently upgraded from two GTX 590 to two GTX 690. Lucky, rich me, right? Think again! As soon as I rebooted after installing Windows 7 x64 and all the necessary drivers (301.42*), a rather strange problem occurred. None of my displays (on any of the DVI/DPorts) woke up from standby after rebooting. Soon I figured my new graphics cards don't want me to overclock my CPU, so I hit the clear CMOS switch and everything was fine again, so I thought. Shortly after Windows was able to draw the wallpaper, my desktop froze and it didn't feel like unfreezing. So I rebooted my PC just so I can enjoy the very same problem happening again. In order to get rid of the driver I booted Windows in safe mode. Using the previous driver (301.34*) I get very random "hiccups" on the desktop and the performance in games running both cards in SLI isn't any better than using just one.

I had high hopes for the latest beta driver (304.48*), but it too freezes my desktop.

Somewhere around here I read switching back to PCIe GEN 2.0 in BIOS settings helps, but that didn't do anything.

Also, I honestly doubt the root of my problem is my PSU as it was perfectly capable of running both GTX 590 just fine. Oh, how I regret selling those GTX 590...

My system:

Intel Core i7-3930K @ 4.2 GHz

Corsair XMS3 Dominator 16GB @ 1866 MHz (CL9-10-9-27)

ASUS P9X79

Nvidia GeForce GTX 690 @ stock

Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 1200W

* = Honestly, I lost track of the driver versions so I might have mixed them up! All I know for sure is that I had the exact same problems with the latest beta driver I had before with the first driver I tried like two weeks ago...

Posted 06/19/2012 01:53 AM   
hellow, i have 2 690 too,, and i believe all user that have 2 gtx 690 have some problem with different issue,, like my self when i put those 2 cards, first i have error in desktop, lag and sloow performance (in my processor core 3 and 7 shows high usage up to 90% and not coming down).

when i put only 1 card, everything is normal, stable and in every games normal (ultra setting). but when i put 2 cards, it come back to lag and slow performance, core 3 and 7 is high.

then i tried to reinstall the driver v.301.42 and set to default setting in anything, at last it work for me, 2 cards normal, but crash 2 times if i overclock the cpu, i still dont know what is the problem,

this is the detail in my experience so far with 2 cards gtx 690:
max payne : normal with no crash, FPS 90 - 120
dungeon siege 3 : normal with no crash, FPS 60
dirt showdown : first LAG with setting water (high), FPS 11 - 19, but normal when setting water (normal), FPS 80 - 100
diablo 3 : normal FPS (i'll check later)
alan wake : normal FPS 120

--= ill update later =--
hellow, i have 2 690 too,, and i believe all user that have 2 gtx 690 have some problem with different issue,, like my self when i put those 2 cards, first i have error in desktop, lag and sloow performance (in my processor core 3 and 7 shows high usage up to 90% and not coming down).

when i put only 1 card, everything is normal, stable and in every games normal (ultra setting). but when i put 2 cards, it come back to lag and slow performance, core 3 and 7 is high.

then i tried to reinstall the driver v.301.42 and set to default setting in anything, at last it work for me, 2 cards normal, but crash 2 times if i overclock the cpu, i still dont know what is the problem,

this is the detail in my experience so far with 2 cards gtx 690:

max payne : normal with no crash, FPS 90 - 120

dungeon siege 3 : normal with no crash, FPS 60

dirt showdown : first LAG with setting water (high), FPS 11 - 19, but normal when setting water (normal), FPS 80 - 100

diablo 3 : normal FPS (i'll check later)

alan wake : normal FPS 120

--= ill update later =--

Intel Core i7-3930K @3.2 GHz, Corsair H100, ASUS P9X79 Deluxe motherboard v1103, 64 GB CORSAIR 1,600 MHz DDR3 memory, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 690 SLI graphics, HD audio onboard Asus, 256 GB Crucial M4 SSD, 240 GB GT Corsair, 2 x 1 TB WDC SATA 3 hard drives, 2 x LiteOn BD Reader/DVD Rewriters, ThermalTake LVL 10 GT case, Seasonic P1000 Platinum PSU, Zalman MFC-3 Fan Controler, Windows 7 Prof Service Pack 1 (64-bit)

Posted 06/19/2012 04:50 AM   
Do they even test the drivers themselves? When you spend about 2000 USD on hardware you would expect it to work somewhat properly.

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MShbP3OpASA&feature=player_detailpage#t=2997s]Seriously, I'm raging mad... /wallbash.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wallbash:' />[/url]
Do they even test the drivers themselves? When you spend about 2000 USD on hardware you would expect it to work somewhat properly.

Posted 06/20/2012 02:41 AM   
hi I have 2 gtx690, and got better gameplay with 2 gtx 680 WT*

by the way, how was the scaling of those 2 gtx590???
hi I have 2 gtx690, and got better gameplay with 2 gtx 680 WT*

by the way, how was the scaling of those 2 gtx590???

Posted 06/28/2012 09:07 PM   
I am having same issues with crashes after just a few minutes of game play. When I do occasionally make it back to the desktop from a crash I sometimes get the Nvidia experienced an OpenGL driver error 3. I am seriously regretting buying the 690's it was a huge commitment from me and was supposed to be my dream system. I have certainly learned my lesson that top of the line means the least quality assurance. i7 3930k (stock speed) 450gb SSD Corsair AX1200 Powersupply Corsair EVGA X79 FTW mobo 16gb RAM stock speed Corsair Dual 690GTX Quad SLI CPU, Chipset, Volt, VGA, all watercooled no temps ever exceed 55'c on any component under load.
I am having same issues with crashes after just a few minutes of game play. When I do occasionally make it back to the desktop from a crash I sometimes get the Nvidia experienced an OpenGL driver error 3. I am seriously regretting buying the 690's it was a huge commitment from me and was supposed to be my dream system. I have certainly learned my lesson that top of the line means the least quality assurance.

i7 3930k (stock speed)
450gb SSD Corsair
AX1200 Powersupply Corsair
EVGA X79 FTW mobo
16gb RAM stock speed Corsair
Dual 690GTX Quad SLI
CPU, Chipset, Volt, VGA, all watercooled no temps ever exceed 55'c on any component under load.

Posted 03/07/2013 08:58 PM   
I also have a laggy desktop and poor scrolling with 2 X GTX 690 FarCry 3 is ok though - but not as good a scale as you would expect for an additional bag of sand.
I also have a laggy desktop and poor scrolling with 2 X GTX 690

FarCry 3 is ok though - but not as good a scale as you would expect for an additional bag of sand.

Posted 03/26/2013 11:39 AM   
yes sadly I am going back to ATI next month. Their cards do what they are sposed to do.I spent $1700 on 2 GTX680's an will never do so again
yes sadly I am going back to ATI next month. Their cards do what they are sposed to do.I spent $1700 on 2 GTX680's an will never do so again

CPU 4930
DELL 3011
Asus 27"
Gigabyte GTX 780ti x2
Corsair Nutron 480 gig SSD
Seagate 4 TB backup drivers x2
Asus Rampage 4 mobo
32 gig G-Skill Rip-jaws at 2400.
Corsair 1200i PSU
Cosmos II Case
RATT MMO7 Mouse.
Razor mechanical ultimate keyboard.
Creative SB ZFX?? soundcard
Corsair H110i

Posted 03/27/2013 12:34 AM   
Hmm I feel like I should have read this before purchasing a second 690 yesterday :/
Hmm I feel like I should have read this before purchasing a second 690 yesterday :/

Posted 03/29/2013 01:58 AM   
Hi; First of all i think Nvidia does not care and support quad sli users as we are outnumbered. The lack of nvidia support is pissing me off too. Scaling in both 4 gpus is not good in many games as i bought these cards to be able to run 3D vision, maximum aliasing (like sgssaa) and sometimes 3D Vision Surround at the same time. But since the Fermi cards came out, i couldn't get any benefit from these cards. As a 2x690 user, i got same problems as you guys . I tried lots of things and found the solution of my problem by updating my motherboards drivers and bios to the latest. You can try it but the system you build is very important to get max from these cards i think. Nvidia not only try to sell these cards, they must support quad sli users by drivers and tutorials. Next time i will look deeply into the other card manufacturer before i upgrade my system. I wish we could get max of these cards in the future with the next-gen games.
Hi;

First of all i think Nvidia does not care and support quad sli users as we are outnumbered. The lack of nvidia support is pissing me off too. Scaling in both 4 gpus is not good in many games as i bought these cards to be able to run 3D vision, maximum aliasing (like sgssaa) and sometimes 3D Vision Surround at the same time. But since the Fermi cards came out, i couldn't get any benefit from these cards.

As a 2x690 user, i got same problems as you guys . I tried lots of things and found the solution of my problem by updating my motherboards drivers and bios to the latest. You can try it but the system you build is very important to get max from these cards i think. Nvidia not only try to sell these cards, they must support quad sli users by drivers and tutorials.

Next time i will look deeply into the other card manufacturer before i upgrade my system. I wish we could get max of these cards in the future with the next-gen games.

Posted 03/29/2013 07:26 PM   
I have the same problem and I,m getting crazy! fix the problem please!NVIDIA: take your responsability!!! ( All Games Screen tearing & Lag ) 2x GTX 690 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlOrFmGXFxY 1x GTX 690 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9s_DpncAPc ╔► Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3930K CPU @ 3.20GHz ╠► 2X NVIDIA Asus GeForce GTX 690 ╠► Rampage IV Extreme X79 /BATTLEFIELD 3 ╠► Kingston HyperX KHX1600C9D3K4/16GX /32GB ╠► Intel RTS2011LC CPU Water Cooler ╠► 2X OCZ-VERTEX4 ╠► 2X SAMSUNG SSD 830 Series ATA Device ╠► Logitech G930 ╠► 2x BenQ XL2420T ╠► WDD20EZRX SATA /64MB Cache ╠► Cooler Master 1200W Silent Pro Gold ╠► Thermaltake Chaser MK-I ╠► Razer Ouroboros Elite - Laser ╠► Razer BlackWidow Ultimate ╠► razer destructor mouse-pad
I have the same problem and I,m getting crazy! fix the problem please!NVIDIA: take your responsability!!!
( All Games Screen tearing & Lag )

2x GTX 690
1x GTX 690

╔► Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3930K CPU @ 3.20GHz
╠► 2X NVIDIA Asus GeForce GTX 690
╠► Rampage IV Extreme X79 /BATTLEFIELD 3
╠► Kingston HyperX KHX1600C9D3K4/16GX /32GB
╠► Intel RTS2011LC CPU Water Cooler
╠► 2X OCZ-VERTEX4
╠► 2X SAMSUNG SSD 830 Series ATA Device
╠► Logitech G930
╠► 2x BenQ XL2420T