Installing drivers for GeForce GT 650M on Windows 8 RP
Hey guys,

I'm having trouble getting the drivers to install on my new laptop running the 650M under Windows 8 RP. I know the latest update for this got delayed (read that in another thread) but I've heard that some people are running other versions with varying levels of success (which I will take right now!).

I've tried to install 301.42 and 302.59 but can't quite get it right. Just running the installers doesn't wanna play nice (they always fall over at the first step of checking the system for compatibility). Trying to let windows detect the driver doesn't work as it always says its already using the best driver (it's generic one). I tried disabling driver signing and picking the driver myself but no matter which one I picked it starts to install it and then tells me its not compatible with this version of windows, so I'm thinking maybe I need to modify an INF file somewhere to trick it in to playing nice or something.

Has anyone had success getting drivers on to Windows 8 release preview? Any help is appreciated.

Cheers,

Brian
Hey guys,

I'm having trouble getting the drivers to install on my new laptop running the 650M under Windows 8 RP. I know the latest update for this got delayed (read that in another thread) but I've heard that some people are running other versions with varying levels of success (which I will take right now!).

I've tried to install 301.42 and 302.59 but can't quite get it right. Just running the installers doesn't wanna play nice (they always fall over at the first step of checking the system for compatibility). Trying to let windows detect the driver doesn't work as it always says its already using the best driver (it's generic one). I tried disabling driver signing and picking the driver myself but no matter which one I picked it starts to install it and then tells me its not compatible with this version of windows, so I'm thinking maybe I need to modify an INF file somewhere to trick it in to playing nice or something.

Has anyone had success getting drivers on to Windows 8 release preview? Any help is appreciated.

Cheers,

Brian

Posted 06/09/2012 12:22 AM   
http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/topic/29492-v30259-windows-7vista-64bit-nvidia-oem-mobile/

Go to this link and dl the 302.59 drivers if you haven't already. Then you need to dl the INF modified file right click and choose save link as...
After that run the extracktor and it will give you a folder in the same directory as the installer. Then you just need to move your fresly downloaded INF file to the Display.Driver folder inside the driver folder and overwrite the existing file. Run the setup.exe and it will hopefully install the driver without any hassle.

Hope this helps!

PS. If you don't need the drivers right now I'd suggest you to wait a few days until Nvidia finally releases the certified r302 drivers for Windows 8 RP.
http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/topic/29492-v30259-windows-7vista-64bit-nvidia-oem-mobile/

Go to this link and dl the 302.59 drivers if you haven't already. Then you need to dl the INF modified file right click and choose save link as...

After that run the extracktor and it will give you a folder in the same directory as the installer. Then you just need to move your fresly downloaded INF file to the Display.Driver folder inside the driver folder and overwrite the existing file. Run the setup.exe and it will hopefully install the driver without any hassle.

Hope this helps!

PS. If you don't need the drivers right now I'd suggest you to wait a few days until Nvidia finally releases the certified r302 drivers for Windows 8 RP.

Posted 06/09/2012 03:38 PM   
[quote name='Jeggu' date='10 June 2012 - 02:38 AM' timestamp='1339256303' post='1419497']

Hope this helps!

[/quote]

I don't [i]need[/i] the drivers as such - but I'm really keen to take this new laptop for a good solid spin! I'll have a go at that and see how I go, worst case I'll roll back to where I am until the official r302 drop :-)
[quote name='Jeggu' date='10 June 2012 - 02:38 AM' timestamp='1339256303' post='1419497']

Hope this helps!

I don't need the drivers as such - but I'm really keen to take this new laptop for a good solid spin! I'll have a go at that and see how I go, worst case I'll roll back to where I am until the official r302 drop :-)

Posted 06/09/2012 11:38 PM   

Hope this helps!

[/quote]

OK so I got the drivers installed and all looks fine in the device manager - but I'm not seeing any difference in quality when I'm running 3D mark vantage. Before the screen kept doing some very weird things for me, lots of flicking and every now and then the flicking would just jump all over the place (the Jane Nash graphics test goes nuts when she comes running out the door, one second you see her, the next its like a 3 year olds crayon drawing, then back to her again). I know the card is capable of working, I run the software on a Windows 7 install and it worked fine and flew along, now I just need to get it working in Windows 8.

I don't really understand the ins and outs of the whole optimus technology, so forgive me if what I say next is totally wrong - but from what I'm looking at it looks like maybe it's still trying to get things working with Intel HD graphics instead of swapping to the NVidia one. I have gone in to the NVidia control panel and where ever I found an option to chose something to do with the video cards I set them all specifically to the 650M as opposed to leaving things on auto select.

Anyone able to give me any pointers on where to look to get this fixed?

Hope this helps!

OK so I got the drivers installed and all looks fine in the device manager - but I'm not seeing any difference in quality when I'm running 3D mark vantage. Before the screen kept doing some very weird things for me, lots of flicking and every now and then the flicking would just jump all over the place (the Jane Nash graphics test goes nuts when she comes running out the door, one second you see her, the next its like a 3 year olds crayon drawing, then back to her again). I know the card is capable of working, I run the software on a Windows 7 install and it worked fine and flew along, now I just need to get it working in Windows 8.

I don't really understand the ins and outs of the whole optimus technology, so forgive me if what I say next is totally wrong - but from what I'm looking at it looks like maybe it's still trying to get things working with Intel HD graphics instead of swapping to the NVidia one. I have gone in to the NVidia control panel and where ever I found an option to chose something to do with the video cards I set them all specifically to the 650M as opposed to leaving things on auto select.

Anyone able to give me any pointers on where to look to get this fixed?

Posted 06/10/2012 01:12 AM   
Optimus should change the GPU automatically but that often doesn't work. Go to Nvidia control panel Manage 3d settings. From there you can control which GPU an app should use. You should also click the top bar "desktop" and choose to show your GPU activity or something like that (sorry I'm currently using the finnish translation) you'll get an icon next to your wifi and battery etc. icon. That will show you when apps use your Nvidia GPU.

You can also right click an app and choose use graphics processor and select Nvidia GPU.

If you still can't get the Nvidia GPU to activate you're better off just waiting for the R302 official drivers because Optimus switching is a problem in windows 8.

(I too have Optimus on my laptop. Waiting eagerly for the drivers)
Optimus should change the GPU automatically but that often doesn't work. Go to Nvidia control panel Manage 3d settings. From there you can control which GPU an app should use. You should also click the top bar "desktop" and choose to show your GPU activity or something like that (sorry I'm currently using the finnish translation) you'll get an icon next to your wifi and battery etc. icon. That will show you when apps use your Nvidia GPU.

You can also right click an app and choose use graphics processor and select Nvidia GPU.

If you still can't get the Nvidia GPU to activate you're better off just waiting for the R302 official drivers because Optimus switching is a problem in windows 8.

Posted 06/10/2012 07:00 AM   
[quote name='Jeggu' date='10 June 2012 - 06:00 PM' timestamp='1339311651' post='1419668']

[/quote]

I tried that and still get the same result. Will just have to wait for the official r302 drivers to drop - damn my impatience! lol. Thanks for the responses guys
[quote name='Jeggu' date='10 June 2012 - 06:00 PM' timestamp='1339311651' post='1419668']

I tried that and still get the same result. Will just have to wait for the official r302 drivers to drop - damn my impatience! lol. Thanks for the responses guys

Posted 06/10/2012 07:28 AM   
[quote name='BrianFarnhill' date='10 June 2012 - 06:28 PM' timestamp='1339313299' post='1419676']
[/quote]

For anyone who is interested, I installed 302.71 this morning and everything came good - ran 3DMark over it and got pretty much the same score I got when I ran it all under Windows 7, so I'm a happy camper for the time being! Now to install some games and see how everything runs.
[quote name='BrianFarnhill' date='10 June 2012 - 06:28 PM' timestamp='1339313299' post='1419676']

For anyone who is interested, I installed 302.71 this morning and everything came good - ran 3DMark over it and got pretty much the same score I got when I ran it all under Windows 7, so I'm a happy camper for the time being! Now to install some games and see how everything runs.

Posted 06/11/2012 11:38 PM   
Scroll To Top