Where are the W8 RP Drivers?
  1 / 3    
I'm not normally quite so impatient, but the only way I've been able to have Fifa 12 playable on my GTX680 was with the 300.89 drivers since release which, as of the RP, hang Windows 8. As in completely hang. You have to hard reset or turn the PC off and on.

So I've been on the 301.42 drivers which don't completely crash the O/S but do render Fifa 12 unplayable and cause stuttering with most titles when Vsync is enabled.

I've been a fair few people saying that W8 RP crashes where CP didn't before, and the common link appears to be older Nvidia drivers. After the Vista debacle and with all the noise being made about being "in step" with MS and W8.... why isn't a WHQL driver already approved and presumably known to fix everyones problems not already up? Possibly forced over Windows Update so that the less attentive don't run into complete O/S hangs?

Upload! Gwarn! /wink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
I'm not normally quite so impatient, but the only way I've been able to have Fifa 12 playable on my GTX680 was with the 300.89 drivers since release which, as of the RP, hang Windows 8. As in completely hang. You have to hard reset or turn the PC off and on.

So I've been on the 301.42 drivers which don't completely crash the O/S but do render Fifa 12 unplayable and cause stuttering with most titles when Vsync is enabled.

I've been a fair few people saying that W8 RP crashes where CP didn't before, and the common link appears to be older Nvidia drivers. After the Vista debacle and with all the noise being made about being "in step" with MS and W8.... why isn't a WHQL driver already approved and presumably known to fix everyones problems not already up? Possibly forced over Windows Update so that the less attentive don't run into complete O/S hangs?

Upload! Gwarn! /wink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

Posted 06/05/2012 02:20 PM   
Word is, new drivers will be out this week.
Word is, new drivers will be out this week.

"This is your code. These are also your bugs. Really. Yes, the API runtime and the
driver have bugs, but this is not one of them. Now go fix it already." -fgiesen

Posted 06/05/2012 05:05 PM   
They originally said early this week, but that is about to pass.
They originally said early this week, but that is about to pass.

Posted 06/05/2012 06:54 PM   
That's what I don't get though. For WHQL this must have been finalised and sent off weeks ago. A press release was issued.
All that is left to do is actually upload the drivers.

Given what I said earlier.... you'd think this would have happened last LAST week, never mind "Early" this week. Which officially ends tonight (otherwise it'll be midweek, no?)

I don't see what could possibly be holding it up.

CDJay
That's what I don't get though. For WHQL this must have been finalised and sent off weeks ago. A press release was issued.

All that is left to do is actually upload the drivers.

Given what I said earlier.... you'd think this would have happened last LAST week, never mind "Early" this week. Which officially ends tonight (otherwise it'll be midweek, no?)

I don't see what could possibly be holding it up.

CDJay

Posted 06/05/2012 07:15 PM   
It generally only takes a few days to get drivers WHQL signed. Right now I'm looking at driver 301.42 dated 05/15/2012, and WHQL on 05/17/2012
It generally only takes a few days to get drivers WHQL signed. Right now I'm looking at driver 301.42 dated 05/15/2012, and WHQL on 05/17/2012

"This is your code. These are also your bugs. Really. Yes, the API runtime and the
driver have bugs, but this is not one of them. Now go fix it already." -fgiesen

Posted 06/05/2012 07:55 PM   
I'm ready to wait another week, just fix the graphics artifacts and corruptions in metro applications ! please ! /confused.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':confused:' /> /biggrin.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':biggrin:' />
I'm ready to wait another week, just fix the graphics artifacts and corruptions in metro applications ! please ! /confused.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':confused:' /> /biggrin.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':biggrin:' />

Posted 06/05/2012 10:36 PM   
I, on the other hand, would far rather be able to use vsync ASAP! /wink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

CDJay
I, on the other hand, would far rather be able to use vsync ASAP! /wink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

CDJay

Posted 06/06/2012 09:30 AM   
Damn, looks like they lied to us. :p

Nvidia, are you going to realease them mid-week or late in the week?
Damn, looks like they lied to us. :p

Nvidia, are you going to realease them mid-week or late in the week?

Posted 06/06/2012 10:07 AM   
Apparently, nVidia is a bunch of liars. When you say you will release something at a specific time, you'd better do it or have a very good excuse. At the very least, you should publish a message explaining the delay. nVidia has done none of these things. There is no excuse for not having Win8 RP drivers available the moment the RP was released. As a privileged MS partner, nVidia will have had access to the RP build (or ones close to it) for weeks and they have thus had ample time to prepare these drivers. AMD did so, so I fail to see nVidia's problem. We are paying customers, but evidently nVidia doesn't care...
Their unprofessionalism is simply stunning and the lack of communication with their "valued community" is even more so. They don't reply on Twitter or Facebook, they don't reply to blog comments and they don't reply on the forum. Then why have these channels, if they don't want to use them?
Apparently, nVidia is a bunch of liars. When you say you will release something at a specific time, you'd better do it or have a very good excuse. At the very least, you should publish a message explaining the delay. nVidia has done none of these things. There is no excuse for not having Win8 RP drivers available the moment the RP was released. As a privileged MS partner, nVidia will have had access to the RP build (or ones close to it) for weeks and they have thus had ample time to prepare these drivers. AMD did so, so I fail to see nVidia's problem. We are paying customers, but evidently nVidia doesn't care...

Their unprofessionalism is simply stunning and the lack of communication with their "valued community" is even more so. They don't reply on Twitter or Facebook, they don't reply to blog comments and they don't reply on the forum. Then why have these channels, if they don't want to use them?

Posted 06/06/2012 03:53 PM   
According to their facebook page they are too busy [url="https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=441284602557669&set=a.441284372557692.105774.130554466964019&type=1&theater"]hiding under boxes[/url] at E3 to respond to us.
According to their facebook page they are too busy hiding under boxes at E3 to respond to us.

Posted 06/06/2012 04:00 PM   
Finally someone from nVidia replied (http://blogs.nvidia.com/2012/05/nvidia-drivers-receive-windows-8-certification/):
[quote][Update] (6/6/2012): We have decided to postpone the driver release to pick up some additional fixes that we feel are necessary for a great Windows 8 experience. We apologize for the delay and will post the new driver as soon as possible.[/quote]
Finally someone from nVidia replied (http://blogs.nvidia.com/2012/05/nvidia-drivers-receive-windows-8-certification/):

[Update] (6/6/2012): We have decided to postpone the driver release to pick up some additional fixes that we feel are necessary for a great Windows 8 experience. We apologize for the delay and will post the new driver as soon as possible.

Posted 06/06/2012 05:22 PM   
How about giving us the set you originally had as a beta, alpha or even leaked release?

Also we don't like to hear "fixes necessary for a great Windows 8 experience". Tell us what is up, what you felt was wrong with the original set, etc. Right now Windows 8 is a horrible experience, it's almost unusable for Nvidia owners.
How about giving us the set you originally had as a beta, alpha or even leaked release?

Also we don't like to hear "fixes necessary for a great Windows 8 experience". Tell us what is up, what you felt was wrong with the original set, etc. Right now Windows 8 is a horrible experience, it's almost unusable for Nvidia owners.

Posted 06/06/2012 05:27 PM   
Oh.

CDJay
Oh.

CDJay

Posted 06/06/2012 06:19 PM   
I understand that you want to make drivers perfect, but I installed w8 rp and not a single driver that I can install. This is very disturbing and annoying! I propose to issue a beta 64 bit driver out until the official one, because my system is now UNUSED!................
I understand that you want to make drivers perfect, but I installed w8 rp and not a single driver that I can install. This is very disturbing and annoying! I propose to issue a beta 64 bit driver out until the official one, because my system is now UNUSED!................

Posted 06/07/2012 08:34 AM   
Yea, I'm getting the odd complete system hang even on the 301.42 drivers after running the CP without issue since it was released.

Unless a genuine showstopper has been found, a beta set ASAP would be just dandy.

CDJay
Yea, I'm getting the odd complete system hang even on the 301.42 drivers after running the CP without issue since it was released.

Unless a genuine showstopper has been found, a beta set ASAP would be just dandy.

CDJay

Posted 06/07/2012 09:07 AM   
  1 / 3    
Scroll To Top