low Frames Per Second (FPS) in a few games
I recently upgraded from a gtx 470 to a gtx 670 and was wondering why I am getting low frames per second (FPS) than what I feel I should. The two main games I am talking about are Deus Ex: Human Revolution when I am running it with DirectX 11 and in Just Cause 2. My specs are as followed...

Built this rig about 2 years ago and just recently upgraded to a gtx 670
i5 750 quad core right now at 2.66 ghz
8gb corsair ddr3 ram at 1333 i believe
850 watt corsaire psu
gtx 670 gpu
1tb hdd and a 500gb hdd
mobo - dp55wb intel

With these problems, my gpu doesn't show full utilization and is running less than 60% almost all the time. my FPS on Deus Ex with directx 11 is about 30fps and without directx 11 enable it gets to about 120fps which is night and day... Just cause 2 is about at 45 fps which I figured would be higher at around 60 fps. It seems that my cpu isn't being utilized either and is not maxing out during these games.

Any thoughts? Thank you
I recently upgraded from a gtx 470 to a gtx 670 and was wondering why I am getting low frames per second (FPS) than what I feel I should. The two main games I am talking about are Deus Ex: Human Revolution when I am running it with DirectX 11 and in Just Cause 2. My specs are as followed...

850 watt corsaire psu

gtx 670 gpu

1tb hdd and a 500gb hdd

mobo - dp55wb intel

With these problems, my gpu doesn't show full utilization and is running less than 60% almost all the time. my FPS on Deus Ex with directx 11 is about 30fps and without directx 11 enable it gets to about 120fps which is night and day... Just cause 2 is about at 45 fps which I figured would be higher at around 60 fps. It seems that my cpu isn't being utilized either and is not maxing out during these games.

Any thoughts? Thank you

Posted 05/21/2012 04:17 PM   
Go to nvidia control panel and try to change following:
Vsync - OFF
Striming optimization - OFF
Performance mode - max performance
Go to nvidia control panel and try to change following:

Vsync - OFF

Performance mode - max performance

i7-2600K
16Gb
GTX680

Posted 05/21/2012 10:48 PM   
There's probably a certain amount of CPU bottle necking going on there, only way around that would be to overclock the CPU or replace it.
There's probably a certain amount of CPU bottle necking going on there, only way around that would be to overclock the CPU or replace it.

Posted 05/22/2012 03:20 AM   
[quote name='rmartz20' date='21 May 2012 - 09:17 AM' timestamp='1337617058' post='1411112']

850 watt corsaire psu
gtx 670 gpu
1tb hdd and a 500gb hdd
mobo - dp55wb intel

Any thoughts? Thank you
[/quote]

Go back to your 470 and see if it gets better. The 600 series is three steps back.
[quote name='rmartz20' date='21 May 2012 - 09:17 AM' timestamp='1337617058' post='1411112']

850 watt corsaire psu

gtx 670 gpu

1tb hdd and a 500gb hdd

mobo - dp55wb intel

Any thoughts? Thank you

Go back to your 470 and see if it gets better. The 600 series is three steps back.

Posted 05/22/2012 06:25 AM   
[quote name='chimpman' date='22 May 2012 - 01:25 AM' timestamp='1337667956' post='1411414']
[/quote]
When Directx11 is not enabled for Deus Ex: Human Revolution, my 670 outperforms my 470. I was testing out other games on (see below) it and it seems to outperform my 470 in every game. Just Cause 2 is a little better with my 670 than my 470. Deus Ex in DX11 is about the same to a little better with my 670 compared to my 470. I guess I am not sure what you mean by....

"Go back to your 470 and see if it gets better. The 600 series is three steps back."

Can you explain?

On a previous reply..Kor-AU stated

"There's probably a certain amount of CPU bottle necking going on there, only way around that would be to overclock the CPU or replace it"

Kor-Au, I am assuming that you mean when my cpu is bottlenecking that the games that are bottlenecking it are the more cpu intensive games than all the other games that I run on it and/or that some games only optimize the use of 2 cores out of the 4. Are you talking about where a higher clock on all 4 cores would then improve the clock on the 2 cores (obviously). I did neglect to mention that I believe my cpu boosts the speed to 3.2ghz. Would I notice a huge difference in fps from my boost of 3.2ghz to (if I oc'd it) a boost of 3.6? Do you still think that 3.2 ghz bottlenecks this card?

Some other games that I play that have improved and do not seem to be restricted from my cpu...BF3 - around 60-70fps, Crysis 2 - around 120fps with drops down to 100fps at times. MW3 - not graphic intense at all... but stays at the 91 fps max..., L4D2 easily maxed out.

On a previous reply... Rhizone stated

"Go to nvidia control panel and try to change following:
Vsync - OFF
Performance mode - max performance"

Rhizone, I am not sure where to find the option of Striming optimization nor Performance mode. I looked in the nvidia control panel and did not see it.
[quote name='chimpman' date='22 May 2012 - 01:25 AM' timestamp='1337667956' post='1411414']

When Directx11 is not enabled for Deus Ex: Human Revolution, my 670 outperforms my 470. I was testing out other games on (see below) it and it seems to outperform my 470 in every game. Just Cause 2 is a little better with my 670 than my 470. Deus Ex in DX11 is about the same to a little better with my 670 compared to my 470. I guess I am not sure what you mean by....

"Go back to your 470 and see if it gets better. The 600 series is three steps back."

Can you explain?

"There's probably a certain amount of CPU bottle necking going on there, only way around that would be to overclock the CPU or replace it"

Kor-Au, I am assuming that you mean when my cpu is bottlenecking that the games that are bottlenecking it are the more cpu intensive games than all the other games that I run on it and/or that some games only optimize the use of 2 cores out of the 4. Are you talking about where a higher clock on all 4 cores would then improve the clock on the 2 cores (obviously). I did neglect to mention that I believe my cpu boosts the speed to 3.2ghz. Would I notice a huge difference in fps from my boost of 3.2ghz to (if I oc'd it) a boost of 3.6? Do you still think that 3.2 ghz bottlenecks this card?

Some other games that I play that have improved and do not seem to be restricted from my cpu...BF3 - around 60-70fps, Crysis 2 - around 120fps with drops down to 100fps at times. MW3 - not graphic intense at all... but stays at the 91 fps max..., L4D2 easily maxed out.

Vsync - OFF

Rhizone, I am not sure where to find the option of Striming optimization nor Performance mode. I looked in the nvidia control panel and did not see it.

Posted 05/22/2012 03:57 PM   
[quote name='rmartz20' date='22 May 2012 - 10:57 AM' timestamp='1337702269' post='1411618']

Can you explain?

Vsync - OFF

[/quote]

bump... as well as updating that I overclocked my cpu to 3.6ghz and did not really see much change in performance except Just Cause 2 is now at 50ish fps. Dues ex HR is still terrible with directx 11 installed.
[quote name='rmartz20' date='22 May 2012 - 10:57 AM' timestamp='1337702269' post='1411618']

Can you explain?

Vsync - OFF

bump... as well as updating that I overclocked my cpu to 3.6ghz and did not really see much change in performance except Just Cause 2 is now at 50ish fps. Dues ex HR is still terrible with directx 11 installed.

Posted 05/28/2012 05:40 AM   
[quote name='rmartz20' date='22 May 2012 - 05:57 PM' timestamp='1337702269' post='1411618']

Vsync - OFF

[/quote]

It should be under 'manage 3d settings' in your nvidia control panel, and then in the 'general settings' tab. Names might be slightly different, it's in dutch for me.
[quote name='rmartz20' date='22 May 2012 - 05:57 PM' timestamp='1337702269' post='1411618']

Vsync - OFF

It should be under 'manage 3d settings' in your nvidia control panel, and then in the 'general settings' tab. Names might be slightly different, it's in dutch for me.

Posted 05/28/2012 06:26 AM   
Will it matter if I don't use 3d at all? Would it change my settings in non-3d gaming? I also oc'd my cpu to 3.6 ghz and noticed just cause 2 running around 47-55fps at times. However, no noticeable changes at all when directx 11 is enabled even when I turn all the settings to minimum.
Will it matter if I don't use 3d at all? Would it change my settings in non-3d gaming? I also oc'd my cpu to 3.6 ghz and noticed just cause 2 running around 47-55fps at times. However, no noticeable changes at all when directx 11 is enabled even when I turn all the settings to minimum.

Posted 05/31/2012 08:26 PM   
Scroll To Top