Quadro 4000 may be overheating
Hi

I have a Quadro 4000 video card in a PC running Windows 7 Professional. I have two 30 inch HP ZR30w monitors attached to this one card, one in the DVI slot and one in the HDMI slot.

The PC keeps rebooting without any warning. I have run a diagnotics test on all the hardware and can find no errors. The event viewer only tells me that the PC shutdown suddenly, it doesn't give me any more information.

I manged to stop the PC from rebooting for three days by re-seating the video card. The video card is also hot to touch, I have to let it cool for about 15 mins before I can remove it.

Does anyone know if having two large monitors on the one card too much for it? Is it normal for it to be too hot to touch? Is there some way I can detect a fault in my video card?

Thanks in advance.
Hi

I have a Quadro 4000 video card in a PC running Windows 7 Professional. I have two 30 inch HP ZR30w monitors attached to this one card, one in the DVI slot and one in the HDMI slot.

The PC keeps rebooting without any warning. I have run a diagnotics test on all the hardware and can find no errors. The event viewer only tells me that the PC shutdown suddenly, it doesn't give me any more information.

I manged to stop the PC from rebooting for three days by re-seating the video card. The video card is also hot to touch, I have to let it cool for about 15 mins before I can remove it.

Does anyone know if having two large monitors on the one card too much for it? Is it normal for it to be too hot to touch? Is there some way I can detect a fault in my video card?

Thanks in advance.

Posted 05/21/2012 12:51 AM   
You can download some type of monitoring program like TechPowerUp GPU-Z to see if your card is running too hot. Running two 30" monitors shouldn't make it overheat unless you're doing some heavy 3D stuff with it.

http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/SysInfo/GPU-Z/

If it's running over 80C then you might have a fan issue or something else could be wrong.

Edit: Another thought is that it might be the power supply going bad, but it is harder to diagnose. Also, yes a video card will most always be too hot to touch even when running properly.
You can download some type of monitoring program like TechPowerUp GPU-Z to see if your card is running too hot. Running two 30" monitors shouldn't make it overheat unless you're doing some heavy 3D stuff with it.

http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/SysInfo/GPU-Z/

If it's running over 80C then you might have a fan issue or something else could be wrong.

Edit: Another thought is that it might be the power supply going bad, but it is harder to diagnose. Also, yes a video card will most always be too hot to touch even when running properly.

Case: Thermaltake Level 10 GT
PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 1200W
Mobo: Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79
CPU: Sandy Bridge-E i7-3930k @ 4.8ghz
Cooler: Corsair H100 push/pull config 4x120mm
RAM: 32GB(8x4) GeIL EVO Corsa 2400mhz (PC3 19200)
GPUs: 3x GTX 680 2GB 3 Way SLI
Main Displays: 24" Dell U2410 IPS Ultrasharp and 2x 24" Dell 2407WFP-HC Ultrasharps (6040x1200 2D surround)
Accessory Display: 21.5" Asus VS229H-P IPS 1920x1080
HDs: OS: 60GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD; Games: 120GB Corsair Force 3 SSD; Apps: 128GB Crucial M225 SSD; Storage: 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F1

Posted 05/21/2012 01:23 AM   
I having the same issue. I spend lot of money just for this Quadro 4000 and what I get is 88 degree whenever I running 3D Max or the newly install Diablo 3.
3 week ago I brought a Newly custom build CPU with this Quadro 4000. At first my window 7 pro keep freezing so I thought there is some issue with the software since Window 7 itself got their own freezing issue. I update 3D Max, Window 7, reinstall Nvidia graphic driver and etc, but the freezing issues is always there. After Diablo 3 release on 15th May, I also install and test the game but still, gaming also freeze half way. Until recently I found out that Quadro 4000 temperature is so high. I google online and found out people who brought this Quadro 4000 are facing 88-90 degree.
Is this card temperature meant to be so high?

Is there any solution to reduce the heat or increase the fan speed?
I having the same issue. I spend lot of money just for this Quadro 4000 and what I get is 88 degree whenever I running 3D Max or the newly install Diablo 3.

3 week ago I brought a Newly custom build CPU with this Quadro 4000. At first my window 7 pro keep freezing so I thought there is some issue with the software since Window 7 itself got their own freezing issue. I update 3D Max, Window 7, reinstall Nvidia graphic driver and etc, but the freezing issues is always there. After Diablo 3 release on 15th May, I also install and test the game but still, gaming also freeze half way. Until recently I found out that Quadro 4000 temperature is so high. I google online and found out people who brought this Quadro 4000 are facing 88-90 degree.

Is this card temperature meant to be so high?

Is there any solution to reduce the heat or increase the fan speed?

Posted 05/21/2012 07:45 AM   
My issue for my window 7 pro freezing is solved. It was cause by my main board bio setting which I need to set the CPU.

But is there a way to reduce the temperature for the Quadro 4000?
My issue for my window 7 pro freezing is solved. It was cause by my main board bio setting which I need to set the CPU.

But is there a way to reduce the temperature for the Quadro 4000?

Posted 05/23/2012 07:09 AM   
What did you have to fix in BIOS? I am having the same issue on multiple computers with the Quadro 4000!
What did you have to fix in BIOS? I am having the same issue on multiple computers with the Quadro 4000!

Posted 06/02/2012 07:01 PM   
Scroll To Top