Cannot open Nvidia control panel
*sorry I posted this in "optimal playable settings for games" forum accidently*
Hello, I recently noticed the green Nvidia "eye" no longer launches when I boot Windows 7, and I cannot even open the Nvidia control panel anymore. I click on it to launch it, the "loading" icon shows for a split second, then nothing. I have the latest drivers on my GTX 580, 296.10. I recently installed Bitdefender, not sure if that would have anything to do with it... Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hello, I recently noticed the green Nvidia "eye" no longer launches when I boot Windows 7, and I cannot even open the Nvidia control panel anymore. I click on it to launch it, the "loading" icon shows for a split second, then nothing. I have the latest drivers on my GTX 580, 296.10. I recently installed Bitdefender, not sure if that would have anything to do with it... Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Posted 05/16/2012 01:45 AM   
[quote name='mamosley2' date='15 May 2012 - 06:45 PM' timestamp='1337132709' post='1408932']
[/quote]
remove bitdefender then install driver 295.73 as 296.10 is a well known problem driver
[quote name='mamosley2' date='15 May 2012 - 06:45 PM' timestamp='1337132709' post='1408932']

remove bitdefender then install driver 295.73 as 296.10 is a well known problem driver

Corsair C70 case, ASUS Sabertooth X58,Intel i7 970 6 core cpu, 24gigs Avant memory, PNY GTX 680 4GB, Corsair AX1200 psu with sleeved cables, Sound Blaster Z, 2 LG Blu-Ray, 2 Crucial M500 120GB SSD, 1 Seagate 500GB HDD, 1 Western Digital VelociRaptor 1TB HDD, Microsoft SideWinder X4 keyboard, Corsair M65 mouse, Xbox 360 controller, Logitech 5.1 speakers, LG 27" IPS LED monitor, 3 Noctua 120mm fans, 2 Noctua 140mm fans, 1 Noctua 92mm fan, Noctua NH-C12P SE14 140mm SSO cpu cooler. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. GPU has a small overclock by me.

Posted 05/16/2012 01:51 AM   
About a year ago I had a similar issue. Control Panel would open, but the 3D settings were very slow loading.
I came to this forum wondering, as do many, if it was a driver issue, but was told it may be Kaspersky AV.
Close. I use Avast, and for a brief period of a month or so disabling Avast stopped the problem. I suppose they
changed something in their defenitions, or Nvidia got them to make a change, because the problem
stopped before I did another driver upgrade.
AV's are a big problem, and can do all sorts of strange things. Mine silently blocked my Adobe Flash update a month or so back, and a couple of years ago I had to write to the Mega Games site to get them to contact Avast to assure them their site was not Malware as sending reports to Avast opver a month or more brought no results.
Within a week Avast stopped blocking Mega Games.
Why do I stick with Avast ? Partly 'devil you know' and as far as I am aware, all AV's give false positives occasionally, and while I use the free version of Avast I have a thing about not using everything monopoly$oft produce or I would use their Win7 AV which is said to be as good as any.

About a year ago I had a similar issue. Control Panel would open, but the 3D settings were very slow loading.

I came to this forum wondering, as do many, if it was a driver issue, but was told it may be Kaspersky AV.

Close. I use Avast, and for a brief period of a month or so disabling Avast stopped the problem. I suppose they

changed something in their defenitions, or Nvidia got them to make a change, because the problem

stopped before I did another driver upgrade.

AV's are a big problem, and can do all sorts of strange things. Mine silently blocked my Adobe Flash update a month or so back, and a couple of years ago I had to write to the Mega Games site to get them to contact Avast to assure them their site was not Malware as sending reports to Avast opver a month or more brought no results.

Within a week Avast stopped blocking Mega Games.

Why do I stick with Avast ? Partly 'devil you know' and as far as I am aware, all AV's give false positives occasionally, and while I use the free version of Avast I have a thing about not using everything monopoly$oft produce or I would use their Win7 AV which is said to be as good as any.

BossDweebe is in his second childhood, or would be if he'd ever left the first.

Posted 05/16/2012 02:55 AM   
I pay for ESET AV for all 3 of my systems (1 tower 2 laptops) and have never had a problem in the 6 years i have been running it.
I pay for ESET AV for all 3 of my systems (1 tower 2 laptops) and have never had a problem in the 6 years i have been running it.

Corsair C70 case, ASUS Sabertooth X58,Intel i7 970 6 core cpu, 24gigs Avant memory, PNY GTX 680 4GB, Corsair AX1200 psu with sleeved cables, Sound Blaster Z, 2 LG Blu-Ray, 2 Crucial M500 120GB SSD, 1 Seagate 500GB HDD, 1 Western Digital VelociRaptor 1TB HDD, Microsoft SideWinder X4 keyboard, Corsair M65 mouse, Xbox 360 controller, Logitech 5.1 speakers, LG 27" IPS LED monitor, 3 Noctua 120mm fans, 2 Noctua 140mm fans, 1 Noctua 92mm fan, Noctua NH-C12P SE14 140mm SSO cpu cooler. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. GPU has a small overclock by me.

Posted 05/16/2012 03:09 AM   
Scroll To Top