Can't shutdown PC using 301.34 drivers
Just bought two 670's yesterday and they've been performing excellent. I didn't have any major issues getting them up and running and I haven't noticed any serious bugs with the games I play (yet).

However, when I went to shut down my PC last night I was presented with an annoying problem. My monitors will shut off but my PC stays on, fans and all. It will remain in this state until I cut the power. At first, I didn't even relate this problem to the display drivers. I figured that my motherboard may be having a compatibility issue with the new 670's, so I looked into updating the BIOS. After checking EVGA's site, I realized the BIOS update they have available for my motherboard is for CPU microcode only (i7 990x), so it doesn't address any compatibility issues with newer GPU's.

After some troubleshooting, I determined that the display drivers are the culprit. They are causing my PC to hang during shutdown for some reason I have yet to determine. If I uninstall the driver completely and use the standard VGA driver, I can shut down fine.

Any suggestions are welcome. Before I realized the drivers were to blame, I reset my power settings in the control panel for giggles. This of course did nothing. I also reset the CMOS, but sadly that also did nothing to remedy my issue.

I haven't been stumped like this for a long while. Just makes it even more annoying, lol.
Just bought two 670's yesterday and they've been performing excellent. I didn't have any major issues getting them up and running and I haven't noticed any serious bugs with the games I play (yet).

However, when I went to shut down my PC last night I was presented with an annoying problem. My monitors will shut off but my PC stays on, fans and all. It will remain in this state until I cut the power. At first, I didn't even relate this problem to the display drivers. I figured that my motherboard may be having a compatibility issue with the new 670's, so I looked into updating the BIOS. After checking EVGA's site, I realized the BIOS update they have available for my motherboard is for CPU microcode only (i7 990x), so it doesn't address any compatibility issues with newer GPU's.

After some troubleshooting, I determined that the display drivers are the culprit. They are causing my PC to hang during shutdown for some reason I have yet to determine. If I uninstall the driver completely and use the standard VGA driver, I can shut down fine.

Any suggestions are welcome. Before I realized the drivers were to blame, I reset my power settings in the control panel for giggles. This of course did nothing. I also reset the CMOS, but sadly that also did nothing to remedy my issue.

I haven't been stumped like this for a long while. Just makes it even more annoying, lol.

EVGA E758 A1 X58 // Core i7 920@4Ghz // OCZ Platinum DDR3 1600 // EVGA GTX 670 SLI // Seasonic X Series Gold 1050w // Corsair 800D // Dual Dell Ultrasharp U2410 displays // Dell Ultrasharp 2408WFP

Posted 05/12/2012 01:51 PM   
[quote name='slamscaper' date='12 May 2012 - 09:51 AM' timestamp='1336830670' post='1407398']

[/quote]
[i]
Slam, take all the display drivers and overclocking software off completely (removing old files for new installation on Afterburner/Precision etc.). Use only EVGA Precision X and Driver 301.24. Place drivers on first with clean install and configure SLi, Global settings, etc. Restart your PC. Following the reboot install Precision X and and configure your profile(s) again from scratch make sure you check your power % control via Precision X. Restart.

Because you are using Kepler you have the Power Usage Control (%) via Precision X; in some cases this has caused hangs on the new GTX670. Try the above methodology and report back. That is the best I got for now bud...these cards are fresh off the press...I will post more as I get more acquainted with them. [/i]

-Hooks

[quote name='slamscaper' date='12 May 2012 - 09:51 AM' timestamp='1336830670' post='1407398']

[/quote]

[i]
Slam, take all the display drivers and overclocking software off completely (removing old files for new installation on Afterburner/Precision etc.). Use only EVGA Precision X and Driver 301.24. Place drivers on first with clean install and configure SLi, Global settings, etc. Restart your PC. Following the reboot install Precision X and and configure your profile(s) again from scratch make sure you check your power % control via Precision X. Restart.

Because you are using Kepler you have the Power Usage Control (%) via Precision X; in some cases this has caused hangs on the new GTX670. Try the above methodology and report back. That is the best I got for now bud...these cards are fresh off the press...I will post more as I get more acquainted with them. [/i]

[b]EDIT:[/b] [i]Sorry 500 Internal Error replicated my post...[/i]

-Hooks

Because you are using Kepler you have the Power Usage Control (%) via Precision X; in some cases this has caused hangs on the new GTX670. Try the above methodology and report back. That is the best I got for now bud...these cards are fresh off the press...I will post more as I get more acquainted with them.

-Hooks

Because you are using Kepler you have the Power Usage Control (%) via Precision X; in some cases this has caused hangs on the new GTX670. Try the above methodology and report back. That is the best I got for now bud...these cards are fresh off the press...I will post more as I get more acquainted with them.

EDIT: Sorry 500 Internal Error replicated my post...

-Hooks

QUOTE (The Professor @ Oct 31 2010, 04:59 AM)

*Jeremy Clarkson face*

So we must hand it over to our tame PC tweaker. Some say he sticky tapes a block of uranium to his dinner before eating it and that he sucks moisture out of ducks. All we know is, he's called Hooks.

"Eye of the Storm" Window Mod Tutorial <> "Inside Crysis 2" <> Top Tier Water-Blocks 2011 <> SSD Unlimited Storage Tutorial

Posted 05/12/2012 02:17 PM   
Sadly 301.24 does not support the GTX 670 at all. If it did, I would have immediately gave this driver set a shot.

I think you're on to something with Afterburner though. I already tried killing it completely and then shutting down, but sadly this had no effect. I'll go ahead and uninstall it and report back.

Thanks for the suggestions Hooks.

EDIT* Uninstalling MSI Afterburner 2.2.0 had no effect. The problem remains.

Unfortunately, the event viewer isn't giving me anything. Typically, I would use the logs in a case like this to find out which module is to blame for the hang, but it seems that Windows doesn't know it's hanging. This would explain why I don't get the message stating Windows did not shut down correctly after booting up.

It really does seem like Windows is shutting down completely, but my MOBO is not turning off. However, this doesn't jive with the fact that uninstalling the 301.34 drivers fixes the issue.

This is a tough one...
Sadly 301.24 does not support the GTX 670 at all. If it did, I would have immediately gave this driver set a shot.

I think you're on to something with Afterburner though. I already tried killing it completely and then shutting down, but sadly this had no effect. I'll go ahead and uninstall it and report back.

Unfortunately, the event viewer isn't giving me anything. Typically, I would use the logs in a case like this to find out which module is to blame for the hang, but it seems that Windows doesn't know it's hanging. This would explain why I don't get the message stating Windows did not shut down correctly after booting up.

It really does seem like Windows is shutting down completely, but my MOBO is not turning off. However, this doesn't jive with the fact that uninstalling the 301.34 drivers fixes the issue.

This is a tough one...

EVGA E758 A1 X58 // Core i7 920@4Ghz // OCZ Platinum DDR3 1600 // EVGA GTX 670 SLI // Seasonic X Series Gold 1050w // Corsair 800D // Dual Dell Ultrasharp U2410 displays // Dell Ultrasharp 2408WFP

Posted 05/12/2012 02:38 PM   
I have the exact same issue, still haven't found a work around. Even tried a fresh windows install on another drive

[quote name='slamscaper' date='12 May 2012 - 10:38 AM' timestamp='1336833538' post='1407421']

This is a tough one...
[/quote]
I have the exact same issue, still haven't found a work around. Even tried a fresh windows install on another drive

[quote name='slamscaper' date='12 May 2012 - 10:38 AM' timestamp='1336833538' post='1407421']

This is a tough one...

Posted 05/12/2012 03:54 PM   
[quote name='Nordictrack' date='12 May 2012 - 04:54 PM' timestamp='1336838063' post='1407444']
[/quote]

Post your full system specs please. Hopefully, we'll draw in some more people with this issue and maybe we'll see a pattern based on the hardware their running.
[quote name='Nordictrack' date='12 May 2012 - 04:54 PM' timestamp='1336838063' post='1407444']

Post your full system specs please. Hopefully, we'll draw in some more people with this issue and maybe we'll see a pattern based on the hardware their running.

Posted 05/12/2012 04:17 PM   
[quote name='slamscaper' date='12 May 2012 - 09:51 PM' timestamp='1336830670' post='1407398']

[/quote]

Dear Slamscaper:

Check this out:
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=229220

I have the exact problem on my GTX690 301.34
ManuelG already said it's a known problem and will be fix on up coming driver.

Best REgards,
Raymond
[quote name='slamscaper' date='12 May 2012 - 09:51 PM' timestamp='1336830670' post='1407398']

Dear Slamscaper:

Check this out:

Best REgards,

Raymond

Lancool full tower case

ASUS Rampage III Gene X58

Intel i7 950 4 core @ 3.07ghz

6 gigs Kingston DDR3-2000 ram. 2x3 gig sticks

Galaxy GTX 690 in @ stock speed

4 Seagate 1.5TB 7200rpm hard drives

Asus 16x DVD+-RWreader/writers

onboard SB Xi-FX 5.1 audio

Asus VG278H 27" 3D vision2 monitor + 3D vision2 glass

Antec 1200W silver PSU

Creative 5.1 speakers

Turble beach Z6 true 5.1 headphone with build in mic

Microsoft Sidewinder 2.4hz mouse

Microsoft XBox wireless game controller

Windows7 64bit professional

Firefox 10.0.1

Posted 05/12/2012 04:30 PM   
Is a known Driver-Bug, i could reproduce it also with my SLI GTX680 System.
Is a known Driver-Bug, i could reproduce it also with my SLI GTX680 System.

Posted 05/12/2012 04:30 PM   
[quote name='rckh' date='12 May 2012 - 05:30 PM' timestamp='1336840218' post='1407453']
Dear Slamscaper:

Check this out:

Best REgards,
Raymond
[/quote]

Does sound like the exact issue, but the issue I'm experiencing does not seem to be related to my multi-display config. Even if I completely disconnect my secondary display (then reboot), I still cannot shut down.

I am fairly positive this is a driver bug after further testing. My workaround has been to restart, then freeze the boot-up process, and use my power button to shut down normally (without actually holding it in to cut power). I just don't like cutting the power to shut down under any circumstances. That's how files get corrupted.
[quote name='rckh' date='12 May 2012 - 05:30 PM' timestamp='1336840218' post='1407453']

Dear Slamscaper:

Check this out:

Best REgards,

Raymond

Does sound like the exact issue, but the issue I'm experiencing does not seem to be related to my multi-display config. Even if I completely disconnect my secondary display (then reboot), I still cannot shut down.

I am fairly positive this is a driver bug after further testing. My workaround has been to restart, then freeze the boot-up process, and use my power button to shut down normally (without actually holding it in to cut power). I just don't like cutting the power to shut down under any circumstances. That's how files get corrupted.

Posted 05/12/2012 05:48 PM   
Its ok here and im using modded INF.

Looks like its mostly SLI users, you can try this 301.33 some said its ok now..

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/topic/29453-v30133-windows-7vista-64bit-nvidia/

They're from the same branch as 301.34 (r301_07-38), except sub-branch is a little older _07-24..

* nv_disp.inf supports 3 models:
[DEV_1180] NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680
[DEV_1188] NVIDIA GeForce GTX 690
[DEV_1189] NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670
Its ok here and im using modded INF.

Looks like its mostly SLI users, you can try this 301.33 some said its ok now..

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/topic/29453-v30133-windows-7vista-64bit-nvidia/

They're from the same branch as 301.34 (r301_07-38), except sub-branch is a little older _07-24..

* nv_disp.inf supports 3 models:

[DEV_1180] NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680

[DEV_1188] NVIDIA GeForce GTX 690

[DEV_1189] NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670

GPU: Inno3D GTX 580 1536MB OC
Monitor: EIZO Foris FS2333 [DVI-D]
CPU: Intel i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz [1.170v] | Corsair H90 custom P/P fans
Mainboard: Asus Z87-Deluxe [Bios 1802]
Ram:Crucial Balistix Elite 16GB CL10/1T @ 2400MHz [1.65v]
Sound: X-FI Titanium HD [Pcie SB1270]
HDD: Intel SSD 330 180Gb; Samsung F3 1Tb; Hitachi 500Gb
PSU: Chieftec NiTRO88+ 650w [52A]

Posted 05/12/2012 10:03 PM   
Found a lot more folks running into the same issue on [url="http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?p=4312215"]guru3d.com[/url]. Makes me wonder how this slipped by QA, as it's pretty a pretty significant bug. It's not a game breaker of course, but shutting down is something that has to work correctly.

Oh well, I'll update the thread once I know more.

EDIT* Note that this bug does not seem to be platform specific, as I've noticed that X58, Z68, and p67 owners are affected. Haven't noticed any X79 users affected but I assume they are as well. I think the bug is specific to 301.34 and Kepler.
Found a lot more folks running into the same issue on guru3d.com. Makes me wonder how this slipped by QA, as it's pretty a pretty significant bug. It's not a game breaker of course, but shutting down is something that has to work correctly.

Oh well, I'll update the thread once I know more.

EDIT* Note that this bug does not seem to be platform specific, as I've noticed that X58, Z68, and p67 owners are affected. Haven't noticed any X79 users affected but I assume they are as well. I think the bug is specific to 301.34 and Kepler.

Posted 05/12/2012 10:50 PM   
I just saw someone on another forum saying that he had to use 301.33 to get around this issue.

Hopefully this will get Nvidia off their rear end and release a halfway decent driver for Kepler.
I just saw someone on another forum saying that he had to use 301.33 to get around this issue.

Hopefully this will get Nvidia off their rear end and release a halfway decent driver for Kepler.

Posted 05/13/2012 12:49 AM   
I've got a second GTX 680 coming on Tuesday for SLI but I've had no problems shutting down my PC with the v301.34 betas I currently have installed. I guess I better install the v301.33 betas instead though just to be on the safe side until the new drivers come out, whenever that is.
I've got a second GTX 680 coming on Tuesday for SLI but I've had no problems shutting down my PC with the v301.34 betas I currently have installed. I guess I better install the v301.33 betas instead though just to be on the safe side until the new drivers come out, whenever that is.

Intel Core i7-4770K @ 3.5 GHz | Noctua NH-D14 cooler | ASUS Z87 Deluxe motherboard v1707 | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1,600 MHz DDR3 memory | 3 GB EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 graphics | Creative X-Fi Titanium HD audio | 256 GB Crucial M4 SSD (boot) v070H | 2 x 2 TB Seagate Barracuda SATAIII hard drives | 1 x 1 TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 SATAII hard drive | 2 x Samsung SH-B123L BD-ROM/DVD rewriters | Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced case | Cooler Master Silent Pro M850 PSU | Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center (64-bit)

Posted 05/13/2012 10:14 PM   
[url]http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=363008[/url]

On page 3 someone mentions that shutdown problem has been fixed. Use at your own risk of course. Downloading them now for my SINGLE 680.
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=363008

On page 3 someone mentions that shutdown problem has been fixed. Use at your own risk of course. Downloading them now for my SINGLE 680.

CASE: Corsair 600T Mesh

CPU: i7 3820@4.3

MOBO: x79 Sabertooth BIOS 0906

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866

GPU: 2x 680 (w/ PCIe 3.0 hack applied)

COOLING: H70 CORE w/ Scythe Ultra Kaze in push/pull@ 2400/2200

PSU:Seasonic 750W Gold

Posted 05/15/2012 01:27 PM   
[quote name='HelloThere' date='15 May 2012 - 02:27 PM' timestamp='1337088420' post='1408627']
[url]http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=363008[/url]

[/quote]

Thanks much, I missed this. I usually wait for the official release, but in this case I'm going to give them a go seeing as I haven't heard one peep from Nvidia regarding this bug (not even an acknowledgement to it's existence). It's a very annoying issue.

EDIT* This bug has indeed been squashed in the 301.40 drivers. I can finally shutdown my system normally. I am very curious as to what caused this issue in the 301.34 set. If anyone has any information it would be much appreciated. I couldn't really get anywhere with it being that no errors were logged during the shutdown process.
[quote name='HelloThere' date='15 May 2012 - 02:27 PM' timestamp='1337088420' post='1408627']

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=363008

Thanks much, I missed this. I usually wait for the official release, but in this case I'm going to give them a go seeing as I haven't heard one peep from Nvidia regarding this bug (not even an acknowledgement to it's existence). It's a very annoying issue.

EDIT* This bug has indeed been squashed in the 301.40 drivers. I can finally shutdown my system normally. I am very curious as to what caused this issue in the 301.34 set. If anyone has any information it would be much appreciated. I couldn't really get anywhere with it being that no errors were logged during the shutdown process.

Posted 05/15/2012 03:15 PM   
These drivers contain the fix for the SLI shutdown issue:

http://www.guru3d.com/news/nvidia-geforce-30140-whql-64bit/

We will be providing UDA drivers at a later date.
These drivers contain the fix for the SLI shutdown issue:

http://www.guru3d.com/news/nvidia-geforce-30140-whql-64bit/

We will be providing UDA drivers at a later date.

Please send me a PM if I fail to keep up on replying in any specific thread or leave a driver feedback: Driver Feedback

Posted 05/15/2012 06:56 PM   
Scroll To Top