Graphics Cutting Out When Playing Any DirectX Game Also Detecting The Wrong Native Resolution
When I start games I can play the game for 40ish seconds and then the game suddenly crashes, this is a new problem that just started out of nowhere, NVIDIA customer support was unable to help me in any fashion so now I am coming to you guys

What happens is my screen goes black (there is no input to it), sometimes the sound stops and sometimes the game and sound and such appear to go on, just without any issues. The only way to get graphics back it to hold the power button to force shut down my machine.

NVIDIA also recognizes my native screen resolution as something strange when it really should be 1440x900

Onboard Video works just fine and I have tried all the driver versions I could get my hands on

What can I do?

SPECS:
ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3
Intel i7 2600k
NVIDIA GTS 450
Kingston 8GB RAM (Dual Channel)
Hitachi 500GB SATA6 Hard Drive
Cooler Master 500 12V (PSU)
ViewSonic VS11307 (Couldn't find a name as it is ~4 years old) through VGA
Win 7
When I start games I can play the game for 40ish seconds and then the game suddenly crashes, this is a new problem that just started out of nowhere, NVIDIA customer support was unable to help me in any fashion so now I am coming to you guys

What happens is my screen goes black (there is no input to it), sometimes the sound stops and sometimes the game and sound and such appear to go on, just without any issues. The only way to get graphics back it to hold the power button to force shut down my machine.

NVIDIA also recognizes my native screen resolution as something strange when it really should be 1440x900

Onboard Video works just fine and I have tried all the driver versions I could get my hands on

What can I do?

SPECS:

ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3

Intel i7 2600k

NVIDIA GTS 450

Kingston 8GB RAM (Dual Channel)

Hitachi 500GB SATA6 Hard Drive

Cooler Master 500 12V (PSU)

ViewSonic VS11307 (Couldn't find a name as it is ~4 years old) through VGA

Win 7

Posted 05/10/2012 09:54 PM   
As always it helps immensely to list the hardware and drivers you are using, without that suggestions are just based on assumptions.

If ANY game is crashing after only 40 seconds, my first [i]assumption[/i] would be a Power supply issue, not able to handle the increase of power, and or temperature issue with either the GPU or CPU.

Not much else I can suggest without more information though, It is highly unlikely this is caused by drivers/software and is more than likely a hardware issue here.
As always it helps immensely to list the hardware and drivers you are using, without that suggestions are just based on assumptions.

If ANY game is crashing after only 40 seconds, my first assumption would be a Power supply issue, not able to handle the increase of power, and or temperature issue with either the GPU or CPU.

Not much else I can suggest without more information though, It is highly unlikely this is caused by drivers/software and is more than likely a hardware issue here.

Home::Asus P8Z68 Deluxe::i7 2600k::16g Corsair Vengeance::Samsung 830 120gb SSD(OS)::GTX 690/GTX650Ti Physx :Asus AE247H x3 Surround.
Test rig::P9X79::i7-3820: Gskills 8gb::EVGA GTX 670SC SLI
Please send me a PM if I fail to keep up on replying in any specific thread, I sometimes forget to check all of the many ones I reply to.
Opinions expressed here are my own and do not reflect the opinions of NVIDIA
Email Support:::Beta & Archived Driver Search:::Browser TDR Survey:::Promo Code Tips

Posted 05/10/2012 11:10 PM   
[quote name='Josh@NVIDIA' date='10 May 2012 - 11:10 PM' timestamp='1336691453' post='1406710']

If ANY game is crashing after only 40 seconds, my first [i]assumption[/i] would be a Power supply issue, not able to handle the increase of power, and or temperature issue with either the GPU or CPU.

[/quote]

Posted Specs, I may have forgotten something, if I have just tell me what I am missing

Additionally, I have had this computer for ~5 months, so if it were a PSU problem I would have thought that it would have already come up

Thanks for your help
[quote name='Josh@NVIDIA' date='10 May 2012 - 11:10 PM' timestamp='1336691453' post='1406710']

If ANY game is crashing after only 40 seconds, my first assumption would be a Power supply issue, not able to handle the increase of power, and or temperature issue with either the GPU or CPU.

Posted Specs, I may have forgotten something, if I have just tell me what I am missing

Additionally, I have had this computer for ~5 months, so if it were a PSU problem I would have thought that it would have already come up

Thanks for your help

Posted 05/10/2012 11:34 PM   
When it comes to PC hardware issues, it can happen randomly at any time, so regardless of how new/old a piece of hardware is it can fail pretty much whenever it wants.

The first thing I could check with this, would be a different power supply, followed by GPU and CPU temps for idle/load temps.

Secondly, some more information on the actual issue, is it 40 seconds from when the game is booted? Crashing on start up logos/animations?

Or is it 40 seconds from the time you select Start/load? 40 seconds from when you actually get in to the game?

Secondly I would look into the resolution issue, what type of connection are you using?

The monitor as you said is old, so therefore the cable connecting must be old. Lack of correct resolutions being available is typically due to the monitor and/or cable not passing off the correct EDID info to the computer in order to populate the correct resolution to be selectable.

If you are forced to select a resolution that is not supported by the monitor, the computer could lose signal from the computer from it being out range for the monitor to be able to display.
When it comes to PC hardware issues, it can happen randomly at any time, so regardless of how new/old a piece of hardware is it can fail pretty much whenever it wants.

The first thing I could check with this, would be a different power supply, followed by GPU and CPU temps for idle/load temps.

Secondly, some more information on the actual issue, is it 40 seconds from when the game is booted? Crashing on start up logos/animations?

Or is it 40 seconds from the time you select Start/load? 40 seconds from when you actually get in to the game?

Secondly I would look into the resolution issue, what type of connection are you using?

The monitor as you said is old, so therefore the cable connecting must be old. Lack of correct resolutions being available is typically due to the monitor and/or cable not passing off the correct EDID info to the computer in order to populate the correct resolution to be selectable.

If you are forced to select a resolution that is not supported by the monitor, the computer could lose signal from the computer from it being out range for the monitor to be able to display.

Home::Asus P8Z68 Deluxe::i7 2600k::16g Corsair Vengeance::Samsung 830 120gb SSD(OS)::GTX 690/GTX650Ti Physx :Asus AE247H x3 Surround.
Please send me a PM if I fail to keep up on replying in any specific thread, I sometimes forget to check all of the many ones I reply to.
Email Support:::Beta & Archived Driver Search:::Browser TDR Survey:::Promo Code Tips

Posted 05/10/2012 11:55 PM   
[quote name='Josh@NVIDIA' date='10 May 2012 - 11:55 PM' timestamp='1336694155' post='1406721']

[/quote]

What power supply would you recommend for my setup?

Idle temps ~40C
Loaded temps ~60C

Crashing after the game starts, not on any of the menu screens

Currently using a VGA connection (the cable is not as old as the monitor only 1-2 years)

The problem with the resolution is it finds the wrong native resolution and when I add a custom resolution which is the correct resolution (1440x900) I get a strange stretched screen so that it looks like it is rendering the wrong aspect ratio, then shortly after switching, my monitor complains about being in the wrong resolution.

If the resolution problem is a monitor issue, I am more than happy to replace it, I am planning on adding on a second one anyways, but I would like to be completely sure before making any kind of commitment

Thanks Again
[quote name='Josh@NVIDIA' date='10 May 2012 - 11:55 PM' timestamp='1336694155' post='1406721']

Idle temps ~40C

Loaded temps ~60C

Currently using a VGA connection (the cable is not as old as the monitor only 1-2 years)

The problem with the resolution is it finds the wrong native resolution and when I add a custom resolution which is the correct resolution (1440x900) I get a strange stretched screen so that it looks like it is rendering the wrong aspect ratio, then shortly after switching, my monitor complains about being in the wrong resolution.

If the resolution problem is a monitor issue, I am more than happy to replace it, I am planning on adding on a second one anyways, but I would like to be completely sure before making any kind of commitment

Thanks Again

Posted 05/11/2012 12:13 AM   
I take that back then, the first thing I would try is a new monitor cable, sounds like you are having some bad resolution issues. Cheapest sanity check you can do, and knowing now that your monitor freaks out with a custom resolution for its native resolution is odd.

Your monitor has a DVI port: http://monitor.espec.ws//files/vx1935wm-1_sm_925.pdf

Which would be a better connection type to try/use.
I take that back then, the first thing I would try is a new monitor cable, sounds like you are having some bad resolution issues. Cheapest sanity check you can do, and knowing now that your monitor freaks out with a custom resolution for its native resolution is odd.

Your monitor has a DVI port: http://monitor.espec.ws//files/vx1935wm-1_sm_925.pdf

Posted 05/11/2012 04:00 AM   
[quote name='blazingkin' date='10 May 2012 - 08:13 PM' timestamp='1336695226' post='1406727']

Idle temps ~40C
Loaded temps ~60C

Thanks Again
[/quote]

[quote name='Josh@NVIDIA' date='11 May 2012 - 12:00 AM' timestamp='1336708800' post='1406810']

[/quote]
[i]
His monitor is native to the 1440x900 (32-bit), VGA would have no issue projecting this resolution as back in my CRT days I was using a 2048x1536px @85 Hz on my NEC monitor. Dual Link DVI does have a higher bandwidth limitation, but I think the issue is with the actual screen itself...

@OP: Have you tried manually installing the current Viewsonic provided driver to help in correct panel identity? Driver source page is located [url="http://www.viewsonic.com/support/downloads/drivers/"]here.[/url] Search under model # specific to your screen. Screen driver helped when my Dell U3011 first arrived and I was unable to get 60Hz out of 2560x1600 (native 16:10).

I think you may need to bite the bullet and replace the display if the suggested remedies offer no avail. [/i]

-Hooks
[quote name='blazingkin' date='10 May 2012 - 08:13 PM' timestamp='1336695226' post='1406727']

Idle temps ~40C

Loaded temps ~60C

Thanks Again

[quote name='Josh@NVIDIA' date='11 May 2012 - 12:00 AM' timestamp='1336708800' post='1406810']

His monitor is native to the 1440x900 (32-bit), VGA would have no issue projecting this resolution as back in my CRT days I was using a 2048x1536px @85 Hz on my NEC monitor. Dual Link DVI does have a higher bandwidth limitation, but I think the issue is with the actual screen itself...

@OP: Have you tried manually installing the current Viewsonic provided driver to help in correct panel identity? Driver source page is located here. Search under model # specific to your screen. Screen driver helped when my Dell U3011 first arrived and I was unable to get 60Hz out of 2560x1600 (native 16:10).

I think you may need to bite the bullet and replace the display if the suggested remedies offer no avail.

-Hooks

QUOTE (The Professor @ Oct 31 2010, 04:59 AM)

*Jeremy Clarkson face*

So we must hand it over to our tame PC tweaker. Some say he sticky tapes a block of uranium to his dinner before eating it and that he sucks moisture out of ducks. All we know is, he's called Hooks.

"Eye of the Storm" Window Mod Tutorial <> "Inside Crysis 2" <> Top Tier Water-Blocks 2011 <> SSD Unlimited Storage Tutorial

Posted 05/11/2012 12:41 PM   
[quote name='Righthooks' date='11 May 2012 - 12:41 PM' timestamp='1336740119' post='1406954']
[i]

@OP: Have you tried manually installing the current Viewsonic provided driver to help in correct panel identity? Driver source page is located [url="http://www.viewsonic.com/support/downloads/drivers/"]here.[/url] Search under model # specific to your screen. Screen driver helped when my Dell U3011 first arrived and I was unable to get 60Hz out of 2560x1600 (native 16:10).

I think you may need to bite the bullet and replace the display if the suggested remedies offer no avail. [/i]

-Hooks
[/quote]

I have not yet updated the monitor drivers (doing it now), however I believe that this is not the issue as I can play on the monitor when on onboard graphics, I will respond when I have installed the new drivers

EDIT: The drivers have not changed anything, so I assume that is not the problem, as for the DVI cable, I am having a friend bring one over so that I can test it
[quote name='Righthooks' date='11 May 2012 - 12:41 PM' timestamp='1336740119' post='1406954']

@OP: Have you tried manually installing the current Viewsonic provided driver to help in correct panel identity? Driver source page is located here. Search under model # specific to your screen. Screen driver helped when my Dell U3011 first arrived and I was unable to get 60Hz out of 2560x1600 (native 16:10).

I think you may need to bite the bullet and replace the display if the suggested remedies offer no avail.

-Hooks

I have not yet updated the monitor drivers (doing it now), however I believe that this is not the issue as I can play on the monitor when on onboard graphics, I will respond when I have installed the new drivers

EDIT: The drivers have not changed anything, so I assume that is not the problem, as for the DVI cable, I am having a friend bring one over so that I can test it

Posted 05/11/2012 09:25 PM   
Alright I tested with a different monitor and a HDMI cable, both failed to fix the problem....

What can I do at this point? Is my card defective? If so what can I do?
Alright I tested with a different monitor and a HDMI cable, both failed to fix the problem....

Posted 05/12/2012 01:41 AM   
[quote name='blazingkin' date='11 May 2012 - 09:41 PM' timestamp='1336786892' post='1407272']

[/quote]

[i]When you say you tried with an HDMI and different monitor, were you referring to the usage of the resolution native to yours (1440x900), or all resolutions resulting in the same error/failures? I know these questions my seem tedious, but before I can tell you for certain what the issue may be, I want to know the extent of whats going on. [/i]

-Hooks
[quote name='blazingkin' date='11 May 2012 - 09:41 PM' timestamp='1336786892' post='1407272']

When you say you tried with an HDMI and different monitor, were you referring to the usage of the resolution native to yours (1440x900), or all resolutions resulting in the same error/failures? I know these questions my seem tedious, but before I can tell you for certain what the issue may be, I want to know the extent of whats going on.

-Hooks

QUOTE (The Professor @ Oct 31 2010, 04:59 AM)

*Jeremy Clarkson face*

So we must hand it over to our tame PC tweaker. Some say he sticky tapes a block of uranium to his dinner before eating it and that he sucks moisture out of ducks. All we know is, he's called Hooks.

"Eye of the Storm" Window Mod Tutorial <> "Inside Crysis 2" <> Top Tier Water-Blocks 2011 <> SSD Unlimited Storage Tutorial

Posted 05/12/2012 12:38 PM   
[quote name='Righthooks' date='12 May 2012 - 12:38 PM' timestamp='1336826280' post='1407371']
[i]When you say you tried with an HDMI and different monitor, were you referring to the usage of the resolution native to yours (1440x900), or all resolutions resulting in the same error/failures? I know these questions my seem tedious, but before I can tell you for certain what the issue may be, I want to know the extent of whats going on. [/i]

-Hooks
[/quote]

All resolutions are having the problems, when I plugged it in to the different monitor, it detected the wrong native resolution, and I could not find the native resolution on the list.

No matter what resolution I am running in, my computer will crash when I start any game that uses DirextX (it might actually be OpgenGL).

If I need to do something complicated, go ahead. I am a programmer by trade so feel free to explain more in depth things (I am not all that good with physical GPUs or drivers).
[quote name='Righthooks' date='12 May 2012 - 12:38 PM' timestamp='1336826280' post='1407371']

When you say you tried with an HDMI and different monitor, were you referring to the usage of the resolution native to yours (1440x900), or all resolutions resulting in the same error/failures? I know these questions my seem tedious, but before I can tell you for certain what the issue may be, I want to know the extent of whats going on.

-Hooks

All resolutions are having the problems, when I plugged it in to the different monitor, it detected the wrong native resolution, and I could not find the native resolution on the list.

No matter what resolution I am running in, my computer will crash when I start any game that uses DirextX (it might actually be OpgenGL).

If I need to do something complicated, go ahead. I am a programmer by trade so feel free to explain more in depth things (I am not all that good with physical GPUs or drivers).

Posted 05/12/2012 01:56 PM   
Scroll To Top