Updating RAID driver unsure which driver to apply
I would appreciate help with which RAID driver I should apply.

I have a machine I built 3 years ago with an ASUS NVidea motherboard M2N4-SLI with 64bit AMD Dual channel CPU with NForce4 Serial ATA RAID Controller Driver dated 24/04/2006 Version: 5.10.2600.666. Before I build a new machine, I want to ensure this one is fully updated as a stand-by machine. I am not sure I trust Driver Robot to apply the newer RAID drivers it says are needed. I do regularly accept NVidea's emails with updates for the Motherboard. It seems that the RAID drivers are not included in this.

Is there any risk of corrupting the RAID striping if an incorrect driver is applied (if Windows accepts it)???? I run RAID 0 on a pair of drives for my data (I know the risks) with continuous realtime data back-up. Programes and O/S are on a separate physical drive.

The NVidea site auto detect does not recognise NForce4 products, and in the legacy drivers, it is unclear which AMD NForce4 driver to apply. It does seem there is a newer one. Is there any disadvantage in not using the latest driver ???? The data write and read speed on the RAID drives is very fast, so maybe leave alone what works well.

Does anyone know which driver I should update with ???

Regards Jonathan
I would appreciate help with which RAID driver I should apply.

I have a machine I built 3 years ago with an ASUS NVidea motherboard M2N4-SLI with 64bit AMD Dual channel CPU with NForce4 Serial ATA RAID Controller Driver dated 24/04/2006 Version: 5.10.2600.666. Before I build a new machine, I want to ensure this one is fully updated as a stand-by machine. I am not sure I trust Driver Robot to apply the newer RAID drivers it says are needed. I do regularly accept NVidea's emails with updates for the Motherboard. It seems that the RAID drivers are not included in this.

Is there any risk of corrupting the RAID striping if an incorrect driver is applied (if Windows accepts it)???? I run RAID 0 on a pair of drives for my data (I know the risks) with continuous realtime data back-up. Programes and O/S are on a separate physical drive.

The NVidea site auto detect does not recognise NForce4 products, and in the legacy drivers, it is unclear which AMD NForce4 driver to apply. It does seem there is a newer one. Is there any disadvantage in not using the latest driver ???? The data write and read speed on the RAID drives is very fast, so maybe leave alone what works well.

Does anyone know which driver I should update with ???

Regards Jonathan

Posted 05/09/2012 12:31 PM   
[quote name='nextenso' date='09 May 2012 - 02:31 PM' timestamp='1336566707' post='1405994']
so maybe leave alone what works well.
[/quote]

This is a very good advice that many people on these forums do not seem to know... /biggrin.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':biggrin:' />
really, if you have no problems, do not update. you wont see any real noticable performance gains or anything. there may be bugs fixed (but others introduced too...) but if you are not affected by them, then leave it as is. this is my suggestion.

however, if you really want to: the asus product page says, that motherboard has a nforce 500 series mcp, which is actually just a renamed nforce4 chipset for amd cpu's. so on the nvidia driver download page, choose legacy -> nforce4 series -> then either choose "nforce4 sli x16 amd", or "nforce4 sli amd", or "nforce4 ultra amd", or "nforce4 amd". these are all pointing to the same drivers: 15.23. this package supports all of them.
[quote name='nextenso' date='09 May 2012 - 02:31 PM' timestamp='1336566707' post='1405994']

so maybe leave alone what works well.

This is a very good advice that many people on these forums do not seem to know... /biggrin.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':biggrin:' />

really, if you have no problems, do not update. you wont see any real noticable performance gains or anything. there may be bugs fixed (but others introduced too...) but if you are not affected by them, then leave it as is. this is my suggestion.

however, if you really want to: the asus product page says, that motherboard has a nforce 500 series mcp, which is actually just a renamed nforce4 chipset for amd cpu's. so on the nvidia driver download page, choose legacy -> nforce4 series -> then either choose "nforce4 sli x16 amd", or "nforce4 sli amd", or "nforce4 ultra amd", or "nforce4 amd". these are all pointing to the same drivers: 15.23. this package supports all of them.
Posted 05/10/2012 11:43 AM   
Scroll To Top