GTX 680 second monitor movie stutter Never had the problem before the 680
  1 / 2    
I have had a AMD 4870 for almost 4 years. I have never had any stuttering problem when watching a movie through my 50" Vizio LCD. I recently moved to the GTX 670 and am running into very annoying slow down and stuttering and tearing problems with both VLC and Windows Home Media Center Player.

Here are my specs . .

i5 2500k @ 4.5 Ghz
8 GB Ram
UD4-B3 Motherboard
GTX 680 (.34 beta drivers) [have tried others with no difference]
SSD

The issue is that when I play MKV's or movies over HDMI to my 2nd monitor/LCD TV, there is some odd random slow down during a movie. What I mean is that while watching the movie, the frames look to be slowing down and the video stutters, then it picks back up for a little bit and then happens again. If I play the videos on my 24" primary monitor it looks to work without any problems.

I use this feature almost every day, so this is somewhat of a deal breaker for me. Has anyone else noticed this problem? I've tried straight HDMI, and also DVI --> HDMI but still the issue persists. I read that Aero needed to be on, and it is so I don't know what could be causing this.
I have had a AMD 4870 for almost 4 years. I have never had any stuttering problem when watching a movie through my 50" Vizio LCD. I recently moved to the GTX 670 and am running into very annoying slow down and stuttering and tearing problems with both VLC and Windows Home Media Center Player.

Here are my specs . .

i5 2500k @ 4.5 Ghz

8 GB Ram

UD4-B3 Motherboard

GTX 680 (.34 beta drivers) [have tried others with no difference]

SSD

The issue is that when I play MKV's or movies over HDMI to my 2nd monitor/LCD TV, there is some odd random slow down during a movie. What I mean is that while watching the movie, the frames look to be slowing down and the video stutters, then it picks back up for a little bit and then happens again. If I play the videos on my 24" primary monitor it looks to work without any problems.

I use this feature almost every day, so this is somewhat of a deal breaker for me. Has anyone else noticed this problem? I've tried straight HDMI, and also DVI --> HDMI but still the issue persists. I read that Aero needed to be on, and it is so I don't know what could be causing this.

Posted 05/08/2012 02:39 PM   
no-one?
no-one?

Posted 05/08/2012 08:19 PM   
Ok, call me stupid . . . I decided to uninstall everything and try a different PCI-e slot, and found that my card was in the 8x slot and not the 16x slot. Don't know why it would make that much of a difference when playing 1080P MKV's, but after doing this I no longer get any stutter on my 2nd screen (TV).

I know this would affect games more then movies, so I'm going to hope that my games will see an increase as well :)
Ok, call me stupid . . . I decided to uninstall everything and try a different PCI-e slot, and found that my card was in the 8x slot and not the 16x slot. Don't know why it would make that much of a difference when playing 1080P MKV's, but after doing this I no longer get any stutter on my 2nd screen (TV).

I know this would affect games more then movies, so I'm going to hope that my games will see an increase as well :)

Posted 05/09/2012 01:52 PM   
[quote name='GLoBaLReBeL' date='09 May 2012 - 07:22 PM' timestamp='1336571556' post='1406023']

[/quote]

that's interesting actually /thumbup.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbup:' />

because with 8x slot even if you get 30% performance drop(max) it should be good.
[quote name='GLoBaLReBeL' date='09 May 2012 - 07:22 PM' timestamp='1336571556' post='1406023']

that's interesting actually /thumbup.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbup:' />

because with 8x slot even if you get 30% performance drop(max) it should be good.
Don't know why it is working now. But it does. I also tested this on a few movies and had no issues what so ever!
Don't know why it is working now. But it does. I also tested this on a few movies and had no issues what so ever!

Posted 05/10/2012 05:56 PM   
Ok, so I stopped watching for a while, come back and low and behold I am getting the same issues! I don't know what could be causing this and its weird that no-one else has these issues?!?!? Why would this occur? Its odd, because it starts out perfectly fine and then after 15 or so seconds it starts to go slower and kind of skips frames.

This is ruining my experience! I really need some help on this as I can't think of anything else that could be causing this issue!
Ok, so I stopped watching for a while, come back and low and behold I am getting the same issues! I don't know what could be causing this and its weird that no-one else has these issues?!?!? Why would this occur? Its odd, because it starts out perfectly fine and then after 15 or so seconds it starts to go slower and kind of skips frames.

This is ruining my experience! I really need some help on this as I can't think of anything else that could be causing this issue!

Posted 05/21/2012 09:20 PM   
[quote name='GLoBaLReBeL' date='21 May 2012 - 09:20 PM' timestamp='1337635232' post='1411245']

[/quote]

Well, the 6xx cards seem to stutter a lot, so maybe that is related to those other stuttering issues many have with Vsync enabled and some notice even without Vsync.

VSYNC Causing HUGE stuttering problems 680 (44 pages of stuttering so far)
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=226227&pid=1411220&st=860&#entry1411220
[quote name='GLoBaLReBeL' date='21 May 2012 - 09:20 PM' timestamp='1337635232' post='1411245']

Well, the 6xx cards seem to stutter a lot, so maybe that is related to those other stuttering issues many have with Vsync enabled and some notice even without Vsync.

VSYNC Causing HUGE stuttering problems 680 (44 pages of stuttering so far)

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=226227&pid=1411220&st=860&#entry1411220

i5 2500k @ 4,2 GHz ][ ASUS P8P67 Pro ][ Sapphire 7950 OC @ RMA ][ 8GB Ram GEIL ][ ASUS Xonar DX

Posted 05/21/2012 10:04 PM   
I thought so to, but I don't have VSync enabled. Plus, would it really even matter for watching videos? I watch on both Media Center Classic and VLC. Both exhibit the same judder/slow down.

I am going crazy with this! I never had this problem with my 4870 :(
I thought so to, but I don't have VSync enabled. Plus, would it really even matter for watching videos? I watch on both Media Center Classic and VLC. Both exhibit the same judder/slow down.

Posted 05/22/2012 02:17 AM   
If this thing is really dependent on PCIe 16, NVIDIA should say so now. I'm happy to upgrade my CPU and motherboard, as right now the GPU Boost seems to be at fault for essentially everything that's wrong with the 600 series.
If this thing is really dependent on PCIe 16, NVIDIA should say so now. I'm happy to upgrade my CPU and motherboard, as right now the GPU Boost seems to be at fault for essentially everything that's wrong with the 600 series.

Posted 05/22/2012 06:37 AM   
[quote name='chimpman' date='22 May 2012 - 07:37 AM' timestamp='1337668640' post='1411417']
[/quote]

It's not. I have two 670's, one of which is installed in a x8 PCIe 2.0 slot. I don't experience the symptoms the OP has described. I've tested my secondary 670 on it's own and it's only around 2-5% slower in the x8 slot (at the most).

The problem the OP is having can likely be attributed to a problem with the codecs being used to decode the video files he\she is having problems with. It could be a case of "codec hell", which happens when multiple media players\codec packs are installed.

I would suggest uninstalling every media player and codec pack that's installed on the machine, then re-installing VLC player from scratch. If you need a blu-ray player, use PowerDVD and nothing else.

I have two Dell Ultrasharp U2410 displays, both connected to my primary GPU via the two DL DVI ports. I can watch two separate 1080p movies on both screens, without so much as a hiccup. This is why I don't believe this is a hardware or driver issue, but rather a problem with the codecs being used on this system.

EDIT* Since you stated you had an AMD card previously, you should run driver sweeper to ensure that AMD's driver software has been completely removed. Sometimes stragglers can be left behind that cause problems like yours.
[quote name='chimpman' date='22 May 2012 - 07:37 AM' timestamp='1337668640' post='1411417']

It's not. I have two 670's, one of which is installed in a x8 PCIe 2.0 slot. I don't experience the symptoms the OP has described. I've tested my secondary 670 on it's own and it's only around 2-5% slower in the x8 slot (at the most).

The problem the OP is having can likely be attributed to a problem with the codecs being used to decode the video files he\she is having problems with. It could be a case of "codec hell", which happens when multiple media players\codec packs are installed.

I would suggest uninstalling every media player and codec pack that's installed on the machine, then re-installing VLC player from scratch. If you need a blu-ray player, use PowerDVD and nothing else.

I have two Dell Ultrasharp U2410 displays, both connected to my primary GPU via the two DL DVI ports. I can watch two separate 1080p movies on both screens, without so much as a hiccup. This is why I don't believe this is a hardware or driver issue, but rather a problem with the codecs being used on this system.

EDIT* Since you stated you had an AMD card previously, you should run driver sweeper to ensure that AMD's driver software has been completely removed. Sometimes stragglers can be left behind that cause problems like yours.

EVGA E758 A1 X58 // Core i7 920@4Ghz // OCZ Platinum DDR3 1600 // EVGA GTX 670 SLI // Seasonic X Series Gold 1050w // Corsair 800D // Dual Dell Ultrasharp U2410 displays // Dell Ultrasharp 2408WFP

Posted 05/22/2012 06:52 AM   
[quote name='GLoBaLReBeL' date='22 May 2012 - 02:17 AM' timestamp='1337653076' post='1411360']

[/quote]

Some seem to notice it even without Vsync enabled. And as long as we do not know how precisely the stuttering is caused, it might or might not be related.
[quote name='GLoBaLReBeL' date='22 May 2012 - 02:17 AM' timestamp='1337653076' post='1411360']

Some seem to notice it even without Vsync enabled. And as long as we do not know how precisely the stuttering is caused, it might or might not be related.

i5 2500k @ 4,2 GHz ][ ASUS P8P67 Pro ][ Sapphire 7950 OC @ RMA ][ 8GB Ram GEIL ][ ASUS Xonar DX

Posted 05/22/2012 07:03 AM   
[quote name='slamscaper' date='21 May 2012 - 10:52 PM' timestamp='1337669577' post='1411420']

[/quote]

That you for the informative response! I actually wanted to do a little more testing so I decided to turn off my primary display (24" Acer LCD) and make my 47" Vizio primary. After doing this, the stutter was GONE! As soon as I changed the display back to normal (24" turned to primary, and 47 turned to secondary) the stutter was there again!

I have already done the driver sweeper when previously troubleshooting this same issue. I also uninstalled all my codecs and re-installed Windows Media Center Classic alongside VLC. Both exhibit the same stutter regardless of file.

This is a problem with the drivers or something else as there should be no reason that my PRIMARY screen works flawlessly, but my secondary screen exhibits this stutter. I'm going to put in a trouble ticket to see if they can resolve this.

Can anyone else think of something I haven't?
[quote name='slamscaper' date='21 May 2012 - 10:52 PM' timestamp='1337669577' post='1411420']

That you for the informative response! I actually wanted to do a little more testing so I decided to turn off my primary display (24" Acer LCD) and make my 47" Vizio primary. After doing this, the stutter was GONE! As soon as I changed the display back to normal (24" turned to primary, and 47 turned to secondary) the stutter was there again!

I have already done the driver sweeper when previously troubleshooting this same issue. I also uninstalled all my codecs and re-installed Windows Media Center Classic alongside VLC. Both exhibit the same stutter regardless of file.

This is a problem with the drivers or something else as there should be no reason that my PRIMARY screen works flawlessly, but my secondary screen exhibits this stutter. I'm going to put in a trouble ticket to see if they can resolve this.

Can anyone else think of something I haven't?

Posted 05/22/2012 02:01 PM   
For a while, I thought I was the only one. I am experiencing the exact same issue you are. I've tried adjusting individual settings for VLC within the Nvidia control panel, and that didn't work. I also tried replacing the cables from the monitor to the video card. I never thought to tinker with the v-sync settings. Hopefully a driver issue fixes this.
For a while, I thought I was the only one. I am experiencing the exact same issue you are. I've tried adjusting individual settings for VLC within the Nvidia control panel, and that didn't work. I also tried replacing the cables from the monitor to the video card. I never thought to tinker with the v-sync settings. Hopefully a driver issue fixes this.

Posted 06/09/2012 06:53 PM   
Just wanted to jump in and say I'm having the exact same issue. Not only is it a stutter/slowdown during video playback, but it also causes any window movement on the other window to stutter as well. I found turning off Aero helps, but doesn't completely fix the issue.

I went through EVGA support, and they had me to do a battery of tests to see what could be causing it (pretty much anything you can think of) including swapping the pci-e slot. In the end they decided it was an issue with my card and had me RMA. I put in my replacement card and surprise surprise, the issue is still there! I have no idea how to fix this, and I'm pretty close to just returning my 680 and getting a 7970...
Just wanted to jump in and say I'm having the exact same issue. Not only is it a stutter/slowdown during video playback, but it also causes any window movement on the other window to stutter as well. I found turning off Aero helps, but doesn't completely fix the issue.

I went through EVGA support, and they had me to do a battery of tests to see what could be causing it (pretty much anything you can think of) including swapping the pci-e slot. In the end they decided it was an issue with my card and had me RMA. I put in my replacement card and surprise surprise, the issue is still there! I have no idea how to fix this, and I'm pretty close to just returning my 680 and getting a 7970...

Posted 06/16/2012 08:53 PM   
I am holding out on the new driver release by Nvidia this month. If it still is not fixed, I will put in a RMA request and a ticket to Nvidia as well. This is driving me CRAZY!! I use my PC for EVERYTHING, and one of the major parts is watching MKV's. I thought that my MKV's were bad, so i hooked up my WDTVLive and everything plays flawlessly! How is it that a $50 WDTVLive can play my 1080P MKV's perfectly, but my $2K desktop can't anymore!! The problem was never there before the GFTX 680!!
I am holding out on the new driver release by Nvidia this month. If it still is not fixed, I will put in a RMA request and a ticket to Nvidia as well. This is driving me CRAZY!! I use my PC for EVERYTHING, and one of the major parts is watching MKV's. I thought that my MKV's were bad, so i hooked up my WDTVLive and everything plays flawlessly! How is it that a $50 WDTVLive can play my 1080P MKV's perfectly, but my $2K desktop can't anymore!! The problem was never there before the GFTX 680!!

Posted 06/17/2012 03:54 AM   
  1 / 2    
Scroll To Top