Uninstalled NVIDIA Card, Can't Reinstall Lenovo Y570
I was having some trouble with my NVIDIA graphics card (Geforce GT 555M) that came installed on my Lenovo Y570. The laptop has the Optimus feature to let me switch between the NVIDIA card and the Intel Integrated card but all my games were using the Intel card even when I specified the use of the NVIDIA card in the NVIDIA control panel.

I decided to re-install the NVIDIA video card to see if that might work so I uninstalled the entire device in the Device Manager (not just the driver). In my past experience, when you uninstall something in Device Manager and then scan for Plug and Play Hardware it will show up again for reinstallation. But the NVIDIA card doesn't show up.

Is there any way to reinstall the NVIDIA video card now? Using the Add Hardware Wizard did not work either.
I was having some trouble with my NVIDIA graphics card (Geforce GT 555M) that came installed on my Lenovo Y570. The laptop has the Optimus feature to let me switch between the NVIDIA card and the Intel Integrated card but all my games were using the Intel card even when I specified the use of the NVIDIA card in the NVIDIA control panel.

I decided to re-install the NVIDIA video card to see if that might work so I uninstalled the entire device in the Device Manager (not just the driver). In my past experience, when you uninstall something in Device Manager and then scan for Plug and Play Hardware it will show up again for reinstallation. But the NVIDIA card doesn't show up.

Is there any way to reinstall the NVIDIA video card now? Using the Add Hardware Wizard did not work either.

Posted 05/07/2012 11:42 PM   
This is happening to lots of people, their internal Nvidia cards are just vanishing, gone from device manager, not showing with Speccy, etc, they can't all be overheating, can they?
This is happening to lots of people, their internal Nvidia cards are just vanishing, gone from device manager, not showing with Speccy, etc, they can't all be overheating, can they?

Posted 05/17/2012 08:54 PM   
You should've uninstalled it in the add/remove programs, not in the device manager.
So use add/remove programs to remove any Nvidia related software, then clean your registry (with ccleaner for instance), then download the latest driver package from Nvidia and install.

David
You should've uninstalled it in the add/remove programs, not in the device manager.

So use add/remove programs to remove any Nvidia related software, then clean your registry (with ccleaner for instance), then download the latest driver package from Nvidia and install.

David

Posted 05/18/2012 08:23 AM   
Look here at post #8. http://forum.notebookreview.com/ideapad-essential/669617-y570-reinstalling-nvidia-driver.html

Pasted from that forum:

[i]Bcadile, thanks, but that didn't work here. I did find the problem, though. In device manager, 'pci express controller' was showing a problem, as well as a couple of other things in device manager under 'system devices' - 'acpi lid', and 'delayman filter'. I'm guessing that these problems came about when I uninstalled the the Nvidia driver through device manager by right clicking the GT 555M, clicking 'properties', 'driver', 'uninstall', and checking 'delete the driver software for this device'........don't do that....learned the hard way. I'm not sure how uninstalling the Nvidia driver caused the other problems, but the problem with re-installing the Nvidia driver was that the pci express bus wasn't functioning. I fixed it by right clicking 'acpi express bus' in device manager (was showing a problem via the yellow warning triangle), and choosing 'rollback driver'. A dialogue asked if I wanted to allow driver updating via Windows Update, which I allowed. After a restart, the driver was installed, and I was able to re-install the Nvidia driver without any issue.

I also tried rolling back the other problem drivers, but the only option was for uninstalling, which I did (but not checking to the delete the driver software!). I saw 'acpi lid' re-install after restarting, but I didn't see 'delayman filter' do anything. Also, I'm not seeing 'pci express bus' listed, but I'm assuming that it is under a different name or something. Any way, it all looks to be working fine, but not I have to figure out how to re-enable switching between the HD3000 graphics and Nvidia card.
[/i]
Look here at post #8. http://forum.notebookreview.com/ideapad-essential/669617-y570-reinstalling-nvidia-driver.html

Pasted from that forum:

Bcadile, thanks, but that didn't work here. I did find the problem, though. In device manager, 'pci express controller' was showing a problem, as well as a couple of other things in device manager under 'system devices' - 'acpi lid', and 'delayman filter'. I'm guessing that these problems came about when I uninstalled the the Nvidia driver through device manager by right clicking the GT 555M, clicking 'properties', 'driver', 'uninstall', and checking 'delete the driver software for this device'........don't do that....learned the hard way. I'm not sure how uninstalling the Nvidia driver caused the other problems, but the problem with re-installing the Nvidia driver was that the pci express bus wasn't functioning. I fixed it by right clicking 'acpi express bus' in device manager (was showing a problem via the yellow warning triangle), and choosing 'rollback driver'. A dialogue asked if I wanted to allow driver updating via Windows Update, which I allowed. After a restart, the driver was installed, and I was able to re-install the Nvidia driver without any issue.

I also tried rolling back the other problem drivers, but the only option was for uninstalling, which I did (but not checking to the delete the driver software!). I saw 'acpi lid' re-install after restarting, but I didn't see 'delayman filter' do anything. Also, I'm not seeing 'pci express bus' listed, but I'm assuming that it is under a different name or something. Any way, it all looks to be working fine, but not I have to figure out how to re-enable switching between the HD3000 graphics and Nvidia card.

Posted 06/12/2012 06:42 AM   
[quote="dotLucifer"]You should've uninstalled it in the add/remove programs, not in the device manager.<br> So use add/remove programs to remove any Nvidia related software, then clean your registry (with ccleaner for instance), then download the latest driver package from Nvidia and install.<br> <br> David[/quote] Hi I am also having these problems, I have tried what you suggested and I haven't had any success, my laptop is not accepting a new install of any new drivers. Is there a way to download and install older drivers? Any help would be fantastic as this is really starting to annoy me on how to fix the problem
dotLucifer said:You should've uninstalled it in the add/remove programs, not in the device manager.<br>
So use add/remove programs to remove any Nvidia related software, then clean your registry (with ccleaner for instance), then download the latest driver package from Nvidia and install.<br>
<br>
David

Hi I am also having these problems, I have tried what you suggested and I haven't had any success, my laptop is not accepting a new install of any new drivers. Is there a way to download and install older drivers?

Any help would be fantastic as this is really starting to annoy me on how to fix the problem

Posted 12/15/2013 10:31 PM   
Scroll To Top