Leadtek GTX560 100 Celsius in load. Extremely high temperature
I recently bought a new PC which includes:
Intel core i7 2600 (not k)
ASRock Z69 Extreme3 Gen3
8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 mhz CL8
Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 rpm
OCZ ZS 550W PSU

and the star of the topic - the Leadtek GTX 560 2GB GDDR5 - 256 bit

The problem is that I have been getting very high temperatures in various games, some newer, some older
they usually spin around the high 90s until tonight while I was playing Sniper Elite v2 on ultra high (runs perfectly, no framing no nothing, smooth as butter), I got 100*C on my graphic card, indicated by tech power up's CPU-Z.
now I know the maximum operating temperature for the GTX560 according to nvidia.com is 99*C so... the idea is... I bought a leadtek card because I knew they do good graphic cards. and I have a pretty well ventilated case (MaxCube Amoris 6010) you can see it here -> http://vimeo.com/5535278
I know it's not super gaming case but I thought that an nvidia card from the 500 series can take care of itself regardless of the case it's in. now I'm very worried because if I keep playing on 100 Celsius it will most probably burst in flames and /or melt. but then, if I paid 300$ for an nvidia card I would love to be able to play GTA4 (launched in 2008) on a graphic card released in 2012 without experiencing 99*C, or Sniper Elite V2 release in 2012, without going over 100*C.... I'm very disappointed. if I paid that much on a graphic card I wanna be able to use it, not play solitaire or Counter Strike...

here's a screenshot from GPU-z
[IMG]http://gpuz.techpowerup.com/12/05/05/8q9.png[/IMG]

Operating system is Windows 7 Ultimate x64
drivers are the latest version
graphic card's fan is working perfectly - is in fact super noisy when in load
dx version: 11
I had 99*C in gta 4 on a 19 inch display (1280x1024) and 2 days ago I bought a 23 inch dell and I played Sniper Elite V2 on 1920x1080. Framerate runs like the wind but 100*C is too much to handle...

RMA is not a solid option in my country (Romania), where you usually take the card to the shop you bought it from in case you have problems with it, and the only way they'll change it is if it is completely not working. This is a very bad situation I find myself in. I suspect it could be a thermal paste problem but I would prefer not voiding my warranty (scarce as it is) by dismounting the card myself, because if it burns out after I disassembled it then I'm stuck with a dead card.
I read on some nvidia topic a while ago that a dude having the same problem (high 90s celsius) with his gtx560 managed to fix it by lowering the core voltage to 1012 or something. But I don't know how to do that, and if it will solve my problem since his gtx560 was built by PowerColor.
The card is still ok after the 100*C occurrence but a wild guess says a few more of those and it will burn up in flames.
The card stays on 53-54*C in idle and 45% fan speed.

I don't know what to do. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
I recently bought a new PC which includes:

Intel core i7 2600 (not k)

ASRock Z69 Extreme3 Gen3

8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 mhz CL8

Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 rpm

OCZ ZS 550W PSU

and the star of the topic - the Leadtek GTX 560 2GB GDDR5 - 256 bit

The problem is that I have been getting very high temperatures in various games, some newer, some older

they usually spin around the high 90s until tonight while I was playing Sniper Elite v2 on ultra high (runs perfectly, no framing no nothing, smooth as butter), I got 100*C on my graphic card, indicated by tech power up's CPU-Z.

now I know the maximum operating temperature for the GTX560 according to nvidia.com is 99*C so... the idea is... I bought a leadtek card because I knew they do good graphic cards. and I have a pretty well ventilated case (MaxCube Amoris 6010) you can see it here -> http://vimeo.com/5535278

I know it's not super gaming case but I thought that an nvidia card from the 500 series can take care of itself regardless of the case it's in. now I'm very worried because if I keep playing on 100 Celsius it will most probably burst in flames and /or melt. but then, if I paid 300$ for an nvidia card I would love to be able to play GTA4 (launched in 2008) on a graphic card released in 2012 without experiencing 99*C, or Sniper Elite V2 release in 2012, without going over 100*C.... I'm very disappointed. if I paid that much on a graphic card I wanna be able to use it, not play solitaire or Counter Strike...

here's a screenshot from GPU-z

Operating system is Windows 7 Ultimate x64

drivers are the latest version

graphic card's fan is working perfectly - is in fact super noisy when in load

dx version: 11

I had 99*C in gta 4 on a 19 inch display (1280x1024) and 2 days ago I bought a 23 inch dell and I played Sniper Elite V2 on 1920x1080. Framerate runs like the wind but 100*C is too much to handle...

RMA is not a solid option in my country (Romania), where you usually take the card to the shop you bought it from in case you have problems with it, and the only way they'll change it is if it is completely not working. This is a very bad situation I find myself in. I suspect it could be a thermal paste problem but I would prefer not voiding my warranty (scarce as it is) by dismounting the card myself, because if it burns out after I disassembled it then I'm stuck with a dead card.

I read on some nvidia topic a while ago that a dude having the same problem (high 90s celsius) with his gtx560 managed to fix it by lowering the core voltage to 1012 or something. But I don't know how to do that, and if it will solve my problem since his gtx560 was built by PowerColor.

The card is still ok after the 100*C occurrence but a wild guess says a few more of those and it will burn up in flames.

The card stays on 53-54*C in idle and 45% fan speed.

I don't know what to do. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Posted 05/05/2012 05:40 PM   
sounds like the sensor is wrong,try another monitoring software such as speccy http://www.piriform.com/speccy/download or afterburner http://downloads.guru3d.com/Afterburner-2.2.0-download-2562.html

and just see if they show as same temp or not,if they have a lower or normal temp then you know cpu - z is at fault and you will have no issue's
sounds like the sensor is wrong,try another monitoring software such as speccy http://www.piriform.com/speccy/download or afterburner http://downloads.guru3d.com/Afterburner-2.2.0-download-2562.html

and just see if they show as same temp or not,if they have a lower or normal temp then you know cpu - z is at fault and you will have no issue's

To Life Immortal !!!

Posted 05/05/2012 05:50 PM   
looks like the sensor is ok... all the temperature monitoring software is indicating the same values, (not 100 yet, but values match cross all software) which probably means that the card was in fact running at the indicated temperature. what bugs me is, if you take a look at the CPU-Z shot I uploaded, in the temperature graph right at the point where the temperature was 100*C, below it shows the fan speed was constantly running at 90%, which makes me wonder why didn't the fan go to 95 or 100%...
looks like the sensor is ok... all the temperature monitoring software is indicating the same values, (not 100 yet, but values match cross all software) which probably means that the card was in fact running at the indicated temperature. what bugs me is, if you take a look at the CPU-Z shot I uploaded, in the temperature graph right at the point where the temperature was 100*C, below it shows the fan speed was constantly running at 90%, which makes me wonder why didn't the fan go to 95 or 100%...

Posted 05/05/2012 07:42 PM   
looks like the only option I have is to keep playing until the card fails. if it does fail. and when it does, take it to the shop I bought it from and ask for a new one.

after installing the 301 beta drivers I've been getting better results. the maximum temperature reached during gameplay was 90*C.
remains to be determined if this will help solve the problem.
looks like the only option I have is to keep playing until the card fails. if it does fail. and when it does, take it to the shop I bought it from and ask for a new one.

later edit:

after installing the 301 beta drivers I've been getting better results. the maximum temperature reached during gameplay was 90*C.

remains to be determined if this will help solve the problem.

Posted 05/06/2012 09:34 AM   
Scroll To Top