Aspect ratio weirdness 16:9 stretches when it shouldn't, but 4:3 works?
Yes, yet another NVIDIA driver aspect ratio scaling problem. I've just updated my drivers to v296.10 (I forget which drivers I was running previously; probably about v258.xx) and I've run into a strange bug:

I set my system up to run with NVIDIA flat panel scaling with a fixed aspect ratio. My main screen runs at a native resolution of 1920x1200 @ 60Hz (16:10), so whenever I run a resolution lower than that I prefer the aspect ratio of the input resolution to be preserved, meaning that a resolution of 1920x1080 (a.k.a. 1080p) should have black bars at the top and bottom of the screen. Instead, when I run a 16:9 resolution, the image is stretched to fill the screen. My first thought was that the aspect ratio scaling was broken (again!), but here's where it gets weirder. 4:3 resolutions scale just fine with their correct aspect ratios preserved (black bars to either side of the image) and 16:10 resolutions are scaled as they should be.

Has anyone else noticed this weirdness and/or have a solution to it? It's not a huge issue for me as I generally prefer to use 16:10 resolutions, but a few older games I've been playing recently only have support for widescreen resolutions of 16:9, and the stretching of a 16:9 res to 16:10 is unacceptable to me.

FYI: I use the registry EDID override fix in order to enable the flat panel scaling on my main screen as NVIDIA's drivers don't seem to detect it properly otherwise.
Yes, yet another NVIDIA driver aspect ratio scaling problem. I've just updated my drivers to v296.10 (I forget which drivers I was running previously; probably about v258.xx) and I've run into a strange bug:

I set my system up to run with NVIDIA flat panel scaling with a fixed aspect ratio. My main screen runs at a native resolution of 1920x1200 @ 60Hz (16:10), so whenever I run a resolution lower than that I prefer the aspect ratio of the input resolution to be preserved, meaning that a resolution of 1920x1080 (a.k.a. 1080p) should have black bars at the top and bottom of the screen. Instead, when I run a 16:9 resolution, the image is stretched to fill the screen. My first thought was that the aspect ratio scaling was broken (again!), but here's where it gets weirder. 4:3 resolutions scale just fine with their correct aspect ratios preserved (black bars to either side of the image) and 16:10 resolutions are scaled as they should be.

Has anyone else noticed this weirdness and/or have a solution to it? It's not a huge issue for me as I generally prefer to use 16:10 resolutions, but a few older games I've been playing recently only have support for widescreen resolutions of 16:9, and the stretching of a 16:9 res to 16:10 is unacceptable to me.

FYI: I use the registry EDID override fix in order to enable the flat panel scaling on my main screen as NVIDIA's drivers don't seem to detect it properly otherwise.

Will there be cake?

System specs:

GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 260 896Mb

CPU: AMD 64 4400+ x2 CPU (Socket 939)

M/B: DFI Lanparty UT NF4 SLI-D motherboard

MEM: 3072 Mb Corsair PC3200 CAS 2 DDR RAM (2x1024Mb + 2x512Mb)

Primary Display: Samsung SyncMaster 2493HM 24" 1920x1200 TN LCD

Sound Card: Creative Labs X-Fi Fatal1ty sound card

Posted 05/01/2012 06:08 PM   
[quote name='Leman' date='01 May 2012 - 10:08 AM' timestamp='1335895726' post='1403099']

[/quote]

Try No Scaling with Scaling Performed on Display.
Also your display's settings menu (not the NVidia Control Panel menu) might have an option turned on to make things stretch to full screen.
You have not mentioned what your display is.
[quote name='Leman' date='01 May 2012 - 10:08 AM' timestamp='1335895726' post='1403099']

Also your display's settings menu (not the NVidia Control Panel menu) might have an option turned on to make things stretch to full screen.

EVGA GTX 780, Haswell 4770K cpu@3.9 GHz, 16GB RAM, Win 8.1 Pro 64-bit, ASUS Maximus VI Hero motherboard, 250 GB SSD drive, 750W PC Power & Cooling power supply, Samsung 46" LED 1080p TV @60Hz, Soundblaster Z PCI-e.

Posted 05/01/2012 09:51 PM   
[quote name='Infinity7' date='01 May 2012 - 10:51 PM' timestamp='1335909064' post='1403185']
[/quote]

Unfortunately my display doesn't scale most resolutions, but instead either stretches them or puts them in a small box in the middle of the screen, which is why I find NVIDIA's scaling so useful.

I didn't mention my display model in my post as it's listed in my forum signature (it's a Samsung SM2493HM 24" 1920x1200 TN LCD with HDMI, DVI, and VGA inputs; in case it wasn't obvious, my PC's connected to the DVI input). I've edited my signature to more clearly indicate my system specs.

Thank you for your suggestion though.

EDIT: I actually misunderstood what you meant when you said "your display's settings menu... ...might have an option turned on to make things stretch to full screen". I assumed you were suggesting that I turn it on, when I think you meant that it might already be active. Well, by default my screen will stretch any 16:9 image to its full 16:10 ratio. Your suggestion has yielded some further information though:

Through searching the On Screen Display menus for my display, I noticed a page that shows information about the current input signal. Normally with "NVIDIA scaling with fixed aspect-ratio" always gave an input signal of 1920x1200 @ 60Hz. Now it seems that all widescreen resolution input signals are not being modified to my screen's native resolution i.e. 1280x720 @ 60Hz is exactly that. However, as stated in my original post, the "NVIDIA scaling with fixed aspect-ratio" seems to be working perfectly for 4:3 resolutions i.e. my monitor's OSD input information page always lists 4:3 ratio resolutions as being 1920x1200 @ 60Hz.

So, perhaps not all that helpful, but at least the problem is better defined now. :)
[quote name='Infinity7' date='01 May 2012 - 10:51 PM' timestamp='1335909064' post='1403185']

Unfortunately my display doesn't scale most resolutions, but instead either stretches them or puts them in a small box in the middle of the screen, which is why I find NVIDIA's scaling so useful.

I didn't mention my display model in my post as it's listed in my forum signature (it's a Samsung SM2493HM 24" 1920x1200 TN LCD with HDMI, DVI, and VGA inputs; in case it wasn't obvious, my PC's connected to the DVI input). I've edited my signature to more clearly indicate my system specs.

Thank you for your suggestion though.

EDIT: I actually misunderstood what you meant when you said "your display's settings menu... ...might have an option turned on to make things stretch to full screen". I assumed you were suggesting that I turn it on, when I think you meant that it might already be active. Well, by default my screen will stretch any 16:9 image to its full 16:10 ratio. Your suggestion has yielded some further information though:

Through searching the On Screen Display menus for my display, I noticed a page that shows information about the current input signal. Normally with "NVIDIA scaling with fixed aspect-ratio" always gave an input signal of 1920x1200 @ 60Hz. Now it seems that all widescreen resolution input signals are not being modified to my screen's native resolution i.e. 1280x720 @ 60Hz is exactly that. However, as stated in my original post, the "NVIDIA scaling with fixed aspect-ratio" seems to be working perfectly for 4:3 resolutions i.e. my monitor's OSD input information page always lists 4:3 ratio resolutions as being 1920x1200 @ 60Hz.

So, perhaps not all that helpful, but at least the problem is better defined now. :)

Will there be cake?

System specs:

GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 260 896Mb

CPU: AMD 64 4400+ x2 CPU (Socket 939)

M/B: DFI Lanparty UT NF4 SLI-D motherboard

MEM: 3072 Mb Corsair PC3200 CAS 2 DDR RAM (2x1024Mb + 2x512Mb)

Primary Display: Samsung SyncMaster 2493HM 24" 1920x1200 TN LCD

Sound Card: Creative Labs X-Fi Fatal1ty sound card

Posted 05/02/2012 01:14 AM   
Scroll To Top