Multi Monitor? Sli? Help Trying to build a 3 Monitor setup (preferrably 4) for Guild Wars 2
Description says it all,
I am trying to have a 3 monitor setup for guild wars 2 with maybe an extra for web browsing. I'm not sure how to go about this, I know I could get 3 monitors with that new 680 gtx but I was told I might be able to find a cheaper solution by paring up with another 560ti? (i already have one)
I could really use help and or advice
Thank you.
Description says it all,

I am trying to have a 3 monitor setup for guild wars 2 with maybe an extra for web browsing. I'm not sure how to go about this, I know I could get 3 monitors with that new 680 gtx but I was told I might be able to find a cheaper solution by paring up with another 560ti? (i already have one)

I could really use help and or advice

Thank you.

Posted 04/30/2012 03:28 PM   
The GTX680 is pretty much the only nVidia card that supports more than 2 monitors. But you have been told correctly - you could add a second 560Ti and run up to 2 monitors off each.

There are some points to be aware of, though.

Are you wanting to run three instances of the game on separate monitors, which would not require SLI (and would also allow you to run a 4th monitor), or a single instance displayed at very high resolution across 3 monitors? This latter case is called nVidia Surround and does require SLI. You would not be able to run a 4th monitor at the same time as both cards would be in SLI mode. SLI only works on 1 or 3 monitors, not on 2 or 4. To run a 4th monitor, you would need a 3rd card.

If you need to run SLI, you must be sure your motherboard supports SLI. Just having two PCIe slots may not be enough.
The GTX680 is pretty much the only nVidia card that supports more than 2 monitors. But you have been told correctly - you could add a second 560Ti and run up to 2 monitors off each.

There are some points to be aware of, though.

Are you wanting to run three instances of the game on separate monitors, which would not require SLI (and would also allow you to run a 4th monitor), or a single instance displayed at very high resolution across 3 monitors? This latter case is called nVidia Surround and does require SLI. You would not be able to run a 4th monitor at the same time as both cards would be in SLI mode. SLI only works on 1 or 3 monitors, not on 2 or 4. To run a 4th monitor, you would need a 3rd card.

If you need to run SLI, you must be sure your motherboard supports SLI. Just having two PCIe slots may not be enough.

Core i5 4670K @ 4.3GHz with 4GHz uncore
Corsair H100 water cooler
8GB Patriot Viper DDR3 @ 2400MHz
Gigabyte Z87X-OC mobo
SLI eVGA GTX670 FTW (1227MHz boost 6800MHz VRAM)
Soundblaster Z with 5.1 speakers
112GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD
240GB OCZ Vertex 4 SSD
Corsair Carbide 500R case (white)
Akasa PowerXtreme 1200W PSU
HP ZR2740W 2560 x 1440 27" IPS panel
Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Posted 05/01/2012 06:41 AM   
Scroll To Top