New FRAPS Out No more 4gig barrier!
The latest version of FRAPS allows recording over 4 gig in size. That's a big deal for 3D recording. At 1920x1080 in S3D, you can hit 4 gig in a single minute!

www.FRAPS.com
The latest version of FRAPS allows recording over 4 gig in size. That's a big deal for 3D recording. At 1920x1080 in S3D, you can hit 4 gig in a single minute!

www.FRAPS.com

Posted 04/29/2012 11:58 PM   
Did they entirely get rid of the limit or is it just bigger?

Maybe someone can record full level playthroughs of games in 3d now :3
Did they entirely get rid of the limit or is it just bigger?

Maybe someone can record full level playthroughs of games in 3d now :3

Posted 04/30/2012 12:58 AM   
I tried doing 3d movies but kept hitting cap so fast. Looks like I need to get back to it.
I tried doing 3d movies but kept hitting cap so fast. Looks like I need to get back to it.
Nice, I'll have to check it out with my registered version of FRAPs. Best $30 I've spent on shareware as they keep updating and supporting the same license for almost 10 years now.

I wonder though if they've addressed the recording bandwidth limitations at all, although it could also be hitting the limits of QPI bandwidth or perhaps its an Nvidia frame lock issue. For example, with 3D at 1080p I'm limited to ~32FPS. At first I thought it might be my RAID 0 array not being able to keep up, although it should be able to cap ~40FPS using theoretical bandwidth. But then I tried using a RAM drive and still hit the ~32FPS recording limit.

Might also be an Nvidia driver limitation however, since SLI FRAPs 3D recording works again in the newer drivers and was broken in the past. Could be Nvidia frame locking/synching frames but resulting in lower FPS while recording as a result.
Nice, I'll have to check it out with my registered version of FRAPs. Best $30 I've spent on shareware as they keep updating and supporting the same license for almost 10 years now.

I wonder though if they've addressed the recording bandwidth limitations at all, although it could also be hitting the limits of QPI bandwidth or perhaps its an Nvidia frame lock issue. For example, with 3D at 1080p I'm limited to ~32FPS. At first I thought it might be my RAID 0 array not being able to keep up, although it should be able to cap ~40FPS using theoretical bandwidth. But then I tried using a RAM drive and still hit the ~32FPS recording limit.

Might also be an Nvidia driver limitation however, since SLI FRAPs 3D recording works again in the newer drivers and was broken in the past. Could be Nvidia frame locking/synching frames but resulting in lower FPS while recording as a result.

-=HeliX=- Mod 3DV Game Fixes
My 3D Vision Games List Ratings

Intel Core i7 920 D0 @4.0GHz 1.29V | EVGA X58 Classified 760 | Win7 x64 Ultimate | Antec 620 LC
Galaxy GeForce GTX 670 GC SLI | Asus VG278H 120Hz LCD + 3D Vision 2 | 12GB Samsung DDR3 1600 35nm
Intel X25-M G2 160GB SSD | WD Black 3x1.5TB RAID 0 | Kingston HyperX 2x128GB SSD RAID 0
Sony STR-DG1000 A/V Receiver | Polk Audio RM6880 7.1 | LG Blu-Ray
Auzen X-Fi HT HD | Logitech G700/G110/G27 | CM HAF X Blue | Antec TPQ-1200W

Posted 04/30/2012 01:29 PM   
(Grrr - boards ate my post.)

As a test, I recorded the credits for X3:TC. I only recorded at 30fps. I found that recording full size (1920x1080) in S3D still didn't work so well once it hit the 4 gig barrier but did just fine when I recorded at half size. I thought it might be an issue with my hard drive speed so I tried going to my SSD drive. That worked great at full size until I got up to 8 gig. Past 8 gig the credits started skipping a bit but not nearly as bad as when I was going to my hard drive.

So it's a big improvement but there are still some problems.

P.S. And no option to swap eyes so we can save movies to 3DVision Live.
(Grrr - boards ate my post.)

As a test, I recorded the credits for X3:TC. I only recorded at 30fps. I found that recording full size (1920x1080) in S3D still didn't work so well once it hit the 4 gig barrier but did just fine when I recorded at half size. I thought it might be an issue with my hard drive speed so I tried going to my SSD drive. That worked great at full size until I got up to 8 gig. Past 8 gig the credits started skipping a bit but not nearly as bad as when I was going to my hard drive.

So it's a big improvement but there are still some problems.

P.S. And no option to swap eyes so we can save movies to 3DVision Live.

Posted 05/01/2012 02:26 AM   
Hmm I started recording my first video. Full resolution does not seem to work at all. I do half res. but I get these complete halting FPS drops. Size didnt really matter.
Like recording at 50fps sec in half res. i have no issue. 50fps consistent like after a while it will drop down to 0. Go all the way back up to 50.
Getting my sli card today though so will see how it goes.
Hmm I started recording my first video. Full resolution does not seem to work at all. I do half res. but I get these complete halting FPS drops. Size didnt really matter.

Like recording at 50fps sec in half res. i have no issue. 50fps consistent like after a while it will drop down to 0. Go all the way back up to 50.

[quote name='eqzitara' date='01 May 2012 - 04:12 PM' timestamp='1335888764' post='1403059']
[/quote]
I thought about this. It may be due to 680's vysnc issue. Will see if i can around it = /
[quote name='eqzitara' date='01 May 2012 - 04:12 PM' timestamp='1335888764' post='1403059']

I thought about this. It may be due to 680's vysnc issue. Will see if i can around it = /
http://www.3dvisionlive.com/node/15370
Heres my recording... (sorry its inverted reuploading now).
It plays fine I was recording at 40 but also did 60 just fine. Then all of a sudden it would drop to 0. Go all the way back up. Like staggers. If anyone knows solution Id appreciate it. Was planning on doing videos with each of my fixes.
http://www.3dvisionlive.com/node/15370

Heres my recording... (sorry its inverted reuploading now).

It plays fine I was recording at 40 but also did 60 just fine. Then all of a sudden it would drop to 0. Go all the way back up. Like staggers. If anyone knows solution Id appreciate it. Was planning on doing videos with each of my fixes.
I recorded a video of Toy Soldiers, full res, ended up at 40Gb. I set the FPS to 60 in FRAPS, but during recording it was showing about 24 most of the time. Could not open it in 3D Vision Player, said it was corrupted or something. Could open it in PowerDVD11, but it played at < 1FPS. Loaded it into MS Expression Encoder Pro and tried to convert to MP4 and WMV, and it failed because it said it was 60FPS and I did not have enough memory, even though there is no way it recorded 60FPS of anything. Changing the FPS in EE to 40FPS allowed me to start a conversion, but it has not completed yet. If it works I'll make it available.
Bottom line I think is that it is still quite unreliable for 3d recording. I had no problem with the older version chopping up into 4GB chunks to be honest, there's plenty of software that can load several of these in and stitch them together into one MP4, or AVI, or WMV.
I recorded a video of Toy Soldiers, full res, ended up at 40Gb. I set the FPS to 60 in FRAPS, but during recording it was showing about 24 most of the time. Could not open it in 3D Vision Player, said it was corrupted or something. Could open it in PowerDVD11, but it played at < 1FPS. Loaded it into MS Expression Encoder Pro and tried to convert to MP4 and WMV, and it failed because it said it was 60FPS and I did not have enough memory, even though there is no way it recorded 60FPS of anything. Changing the FPS in EE to 40FPS allowed me to start a conversion, but it has not completed yet. If it works I'll make it available.

Bottom line I think is that it is still quite unreliable for 3d recording. I had no problem with the older version chopping up into 4GB chunks to be honest, there's plenty of software that can load several of these in and stitch them together into one MP4, or AVI, or WMV.

Rig: Intel i5-3570K @4.5GHz, 8Gb Ram, 2xGTX770 in SLI, Win7 64 bit, 3D Vision 2 Asus VG278, Optoma HD66

3DSolutionGaming: http://www.3dSolutionGaming.com
Helixmod: http://helixmod.blogspot.com
3DMigoto: https://github.com/bo3b/3Dmigoto/wiki

Posted 05/02/2012 05:07 PM   
Scroll To Top