CPU upgrade
so im currently using an
[b]AMD Athlon ii x4 630 [/b]with a [b]chipset 785G [/b](im thinking its an AM3 socket)
[b]Motherboard 04GJJT[/b]

What would be a decent processor upgrade to go with my EVGA GTX 560ti?

im looking to spend roughly $250.00

More detailed description of what i have:

[u][b]Processor:[/b][/u]
2.80 gigahertz AMD Athlon II X4 630
512 kilobyte primary memory cache
2048 kilobyte secondary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (4 total)
Not hyper-threaded

[u][b]Motherboard:[/b][/u]
Board: Dell Inc. 04GJJT A00
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: Dell Inc. A00 10/19/2009

Please don't rag on my system! I just got back from Overseas..can't find many upgrades digging in the sand :)
so im currently using an

AMD Athlon ii x4 630 with a chipset 785G (im thinking its an AM3 socket)

Motherboard 04GJJT

What would be a decent processor upgrade to go with my EVGA GTX 560ti?

im looking to spend roughly $250.00

More detailed description of what i have:

Processor:

2.80 gigahertz AMD Athlon II X4 630

512 kilobyte primary memory cache

2048 kilobyte secondary memory cache

64-bit ready

Multi-core (4 total)

Not hyper-threaded

Motherboard:

Board: Dell Inc. 04GJJT A00

Bus Clock: 200 megahertz

BIOS: Dell Inc. A00 10/19/2009

Please don't rag on my system! I just got back from Overseas..can't find many upgrades digging in the sand :)

Posted 04/28/2012 10:52 PM   
Budget?

Are you just looking for a new CPU? Or a new motherboard / CPU combo?

I take it this PC is a pre-built Dell - that can cause complications in itself...
Budget?

Are you just looking for a new CPU? Or a new motherboard / CPU combo?

I take it this PC is a pre-built Dell - that can cause complications in itself...
Since this is an OEM motherboard, it's really impossible for us to recommend a CPU upgrade. Thing is, OEM motherboards have a locked BIOS that hides most of the settings from the end-user. This means you can't access the settings required to OC, or tweak your system in any way.

This wouldn't necessarily prevent you from upgrading your CPU, but sometimes OEM's lock out support for any CPU's other than the models they approve. This forces you to buy upgrades strait from them, in which case they'll usually ask you to send in your box and then charge you an outrageous price for the upgrade. Chances are, even if you called Dell to inquire about a CPU upgrade they'd likely try to sell you a new box. This is how OEM's like Dell operate.

You'll be much better off putting that $250 into a completely new build. For around $400-$500 you could get a new mobo, RAM, and CPU and case. You don't have to buy premium hardware, as there are great retail motherboards for those on a budget. Retail motherboards feature a fully unlocked BIOS that gives you much more control over the system and also allows you to upgrade to any CPU supported by the core logic chipset.

If you're still dead set on upgrading the CPU in this system, I would suggest researching a bit to see if you can find anyone else that got a new CPU working on that particular motherboard. If all else fails, call the OEM and ask them if a CPU upgrade is possible.
Since this is an OEM motherboard, it's really impossible for us to recommend a CPU upgrade. Thing is, OEM motherboards have a locked BIOS that hides most of the settings from the end-user. This means you can't access the settings required to OC, or tweak your system in any way.

This wouldn't necessarily prevent you from upgrading your CPU, but sometimes OEM's lock out support for any CPU's other than the models they approve. This forces you to buy upgrades strait from them, in which case they'll usually ask you to send in your box and then charge you an outrageous price for the upgrade. Chances are, even if you called Dell to inquire about a CPU upgrade they'd likely try to sell you a new box. This is how OEM's like Dell operate.

You'll be much better off putting that $250 into a completely new build. For around $400-$500 you could get a new mobo, RAM, and CPU and case. You don't have to buy premium hardware, as there are great retail motherboards for those on a budget. Retail motherboards feature a fully unlocked BIOS that gives you much more control over the system and also allows you to upgrade to any CPU supported by the core logic chipset.

If you're still dead set on upgrading the CPU in this system, I would suggest researching a bit to see if you can find anyone else that got a new CPU working on that particular motherboard. If all else fails, call the OEM and ask them if a CPU upgrade is possible.

EVGA E758 A1 X58 // Core i7 920@4Ghz // OCZ Platinum DDR3 1600 // EVGA GTX 670 SLI // Seasonic X Series Gold 1050w // Corsair 800D // Dual Dell Ultrasharp U2410 displays // Dell Ultrasharp 2408WFP

Posted 04/29/2012 01:16 AM   
Well, if i have to upgrade my Mobo.. i dont have any problem with that... my budget is about [u][b]$250.00 for the CPU and about $250.00 for the Mobo[/b][/u]. i have about 16gigs of DDR 3 RAM so i dont know if i need anything other than the CPU and Mobo.

I play a lot of [u][b]high end computer games[/b][/u]... suggestions please and thank you!
Well, if i have to upgrade my Mobo.. i dont have any problem with that... my budget is about $250.00 for the CPU and about $250.00 for the Mobo. i have about 16gigs of DDR 3 RAM so i dont know if i need anything other than the CPU and Mobo.

I play a lot of high end computer games... suggestions please and thank you!

Posted 04/30/2012 12:30 AM   
Scroll To Top