Need some advice about upgrading my video card.
Hi all, im currently planning to upgrade my video card, homever i am really not sure what to get. /unsure.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':unsure:' />

I currently have the good old Geforce 9200 card, serve me well, but lately, its considered really bad nowdays, and its starting to show.

Here is my system spec :

My computer is form Acer, if that make any difference.

Windows 7 64 bits
AMD athlon II X3 425
3GB DDR3 memory card
640GB hard drive
Nividia Geforce 9200 <--- (This is what im planning to upgrade)

I mosly use my computer to play alot of video games, so id really like to give it a decent upgrade.

On my case, what would be the best card to upgrade to? (Excluding the lastest one, im not THAT rich lol)

PART 2 :

Im still confused about 2 things homever...will that card be actually *instalable/useable* on my computer?

I have no idia what *pin* (like 6pin connectors and ect..) my computer have, and i can't seem to find a way to know this. (I guess i need to open my computer to see it...?)

Theres aslo the *computer power w* requirements that worries me...but like the pins, i dont know how to find it. (Actually, it might be 425, given the 3 nombers of my ADM Athlon...but im not 100% sure its what it means.)

I just don't want to wind up burning my money on an a card i cannot use.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Hi all, im currently planning to upgrade my video card, homever i am really not sure what to get. /unsure.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':unsure:' />

I currently have the good old Geforce 9200 card, serve me well, but lately, its considered really bad nowdays, and its starting to show.

Here is my system spec :

My computer is form Acer, if that make any difference.

Windows 7 64 bits

AMD athlon II X3 425

3GB DDR3 memory card

640GB hard drive

Nividia Geforce 9200 <--- (This is what im planning to upgrade)

I mosly use my computer to play alot of video games, so id really like to give it a decent upgrade.

On my case, what would be the best card to upgrade to? (Excluding the lastest one, im not THAT rich lol)

PART 2 :

Im still confused about 2 things homever...will that card be actually *instalable/useable* on my computer?

I have no idia what *pin* (like 6pin connectors and ect..) my computer have, and i can't seem to find a way to know this. (I guess i need to open my computer to see it...?)

Theres aslo the *computer power w* requirements that worries me...but like the pins, i dont know how to find it. (Actually, it might be 425, given the 3 nombers of my ADM Athlon...but im not 100% sure its what it means.)

Posted 04/28/2012 08:59 PM   
I'd upgrade the RAM too if I was you. 3GB is not a lot these days
I'd upgrade the RAM too if I was you. 3GB is not a lot these days

Jim Jackson

Gaming Enthusiast

Posted 04/28/2012 10:02 PM   
Yeah...i expected i needed to upgrade more that one thing, but for now id just start with the geforce card, since i did not have any major issues with the 3GB card yet, unlike my graphic card. (Might still upgrade this at an later date, after i get a newer graphic card that is.)
Yeah...i expected i needed to upgrade more that one thing, but for now id just start with the geforce card, since i did not have any major issues with the 3GB card yet, unlike my graphic card. (Might still upgrade this at an later date, after i get a newer graphic card that is.)

Posted 04/28/2012 11:51 PM   
If you want to play games, I wouldn't go for anything lower than a GTX550Ti.
If you want to play games, I wouldn't go for anything lower than a GTX550Ti.

Core i5 4670K @ 4.3GHz with 4GHz uncore
Corsair H100 water cooler
8GB Patriot Viper DDR3 @ 2400MHz
Gigabyte Z87X-OC mobo
SLI eVGA GTX670 FTW (1227MHz boost 6800MHz VRAM)
Soundblaster Z with 5.1 speakers
112GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD
240GB OCZ Vertex 4 SSD
Corsair Carbide 500R case (white)
Akasa PowerXtreme 1200W PSU
HP ZR2740W 2560 x 1440 27" IPS panel
Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Posted 04/29/2012 03:38 PM   
I have my eyes on the GTX 560, seem fair since i dont really need top graphics form my games...just making em *playable* /blarg.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':/' />

I have my eyes on the GTX 560, seem fair since i dont really need top graphics form my games...just making em *playable* /blarg.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':/' />

Posted 04/29/2012 06:36 PM   
Your 9200 is considered a low end video card. You can check out it's marks and how it stacks up against others here

[url="http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php"]GPU Benchmarks[/url]

My current but being replace GT220 would be a night and day difference from what you have now. I do run World of Tanks and DC Universe and it handles them very well.

Your card runs on the PCIe 2.00 x16 bus so anything in the PCIe platform will work for you.

You do need to open up the computer and look at the power supply and how much space you have for a new card. When looking at the power supply, what is the total output? NVidia states GTX560 Ti needs a minimum of a 500W power (uses 283 watts by itself under load so you could add everything up in your unit that consumes power and determine that way if your power supply can handle it) and look at the 500 series cards as they use less power then their predecessors. The 9200 runs strictly on the power running through the bus slot so it is not feeding directly from the power supply.

How many extra power supply connectors do you have and how many of each style?

Do have have a 6 or 6+2 (which is an 8) pin connector

[img]http://www.mechbgon.com/build/8-pin_pcie.jpg[/img]

If not you can buy or some new cards come with dual 4 pin connectors to one 6 pin

[img]http://www.hisdigital.com/UserFiles/product/power-cable-2x4pin-in_3_1600.jpg[/img]

A GT440 would be the card I recommend if you have to run strictly on the power through the bus like this

[url="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500191"]ZOTAC GT440[/url]

If you can pull off a single 6 pin power connector and have the power to support 500W or better, I agree with Discordia, the GTX550 Ti would be where I would go and may I suggest you look at this one and it does come with the 6 pin adapter

[url="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127573"]MSI GTX 550 Ti Cyclone[/url]

I was actually looking hard at the MSI i mentioned above but had the funds and decided I wanted to do the upgrade of the power supply to support dual 6 pin card and have ordered a 620w Seasonic Bronze and a GTX560 Ti...can't wait till they get here on Wednesday.

[url="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151095"]Seasonic Power Supply[/url]
[url="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127578"]MSI GTX560Ti Hawk[/url]

The GTX560 you mentioned eying uses a dual six pin so you will have to be very watchful of the power supply.

I hope this helps you! /biggrin.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':biggrin:' />
Your 9200 is considered a low end video card. You can check out it's marks and how it stacks up against others here

GPU Benchmarks

My current but being replace GT220 would be a night and day difference from what you have now. I do run World of Tanks and DC Universe and it handles them very well.

Your card runs on the PCIe 2.00 x16 bus so anything in the PCIe platform will work for you.

You do need to open up the computer and look at the power supply and how much space you have for a new card. When looking at the power supply, what is the total output? NVidia states GTX560 Ti needs a minimum of a 500W power (uses 283 watts by itself under load so you could add everything up in your unit that consumes power and determine that way if your power supply can handle it) and look at the 500 series cards as they use less power then their predecessors. The 9200 runs strictly on the power running through the bus slot so it is not feeding directly from the power supply.

How many extra power supply connectors do you have and how many of each style?

Do have have a 6 or 6+2 (which is an 8) pin connector

If not you can buy or some new cards come with dual 4 pin connectors to one 6 pin

A GT440 would be the card I recommend if you have to run strictly on the power through the bus like this

ZOTAC GT440

If you can pull off a single 6 pin power connector and have the power to support 500W or better, I agree with Discordia, the GTX550 Ti would be where I would go and may I suggest you look at this one and it does come with the 6 pin adapter

MSI GTX 550 Ti Cyclone

I was actually looking hard at the MSI i mentioned above but had the funds and decided I wanted to do the upgrade of the power supply to support dual 6 pin card and have ordered a 620w Seasonic Bronze and a GTX560 Ti...can't wait till they get here on Wednesday.

Seasonic Power Supply

MSI GTX560Ti Hawk

The GTX560 you mentioned eying uses a dual six pin so you will have to be very watchful of the power supply.

I hope this helps you! /biggrin.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':biggrin:' />

Posted 04/30/2012 03:33 AM   
All good info bar one point. The GTX560Ti doesn't use as much 283W. A standard model would be about 200W. Heavily overclocked, maybe 230.

The 448 core model uses more - maybe as much as 250W. Overclocked and pushed hard, it could hit 300.

A 550Ti needs about 150W.

Ideally, you should allow 300W for the rest of your system, though this has a generous margin built in. You could probably run a rig with a 550Ti off a 400W PSU. But no less.
All good info bar one point. The GTX560Ti doesn't use as much 283W. A standard model would be about 200W. Heavily overclocked, maybe 230.

The 448 core model uses more - maybe as much as 250W. Overclocked and pushed hard, it could hit 300.

A 550Ti needs about 150W.

Ideally, you should allow 300W for the rest of your system, though this has a generous margin built in. You could probably run a rig with a 550Ti off a 400W PSU. But no less.

Core i5 4670K @ 4.3GHz with 4GHz uncore
Corsair H100 water cooler
8GB Patriot Viper DDR3 @ 2400MHz
Gigabyte Z87X-OC mobo
SLI eVGA GTX670 FTW (1227MHz boost 6800MHz VRAM)
Soundblaster Z with 5.1 speakers
112GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD
240GB OCZ Vertex 4 SSD
Corsair Carbide 500R case (white)
Akasa PowerXtreme 1200W PSU
HP ZR2740W 2560 x 1440 27" IPS panel
Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Posted 04/30/2012 08:10 AM   
Scroll To Top