I haven't been able to update my drivers since 270.61
I've been having serious issues with installing drivers for my 8500GT for several years now. Whenever I attempt to install a driver more recent than 270.61, I get an "Installation Failed" message during either the installation of the driver itself or (on rare occasions) the control panel. This happens no matter what type of installation I attempt, and trying to uninstall the drivers, etc. manually tends to result in a "Found New Hardware" popup automatically installing the drivers by itself before I can run the Nvidia installer. Today I attempted to install 296.10 only for the installation to fail during the driver section. Currently, I have full functionality of my desktop and appear to be using the latest driver, except for the minor problem where absolutely nothing related to DirectX is working at all and I keep getting the Found New Hardware wizard popup all the time, including [i]immediately after using the Found New Hardware wizard to install the drivers[/i]. Fortunately, I have the installation files for 270.61 on my hard drive. Unfortunately, 270.61 is several years old, and has about a 1% chance to totally freeze my system upon opening a Youtube video.

I've attempted to find solutions to this before, but for one reason or another nothing ever happened. I'm hoping this time something can actually be done about this. I suspect that some sort of setting got changed in the installer between 270.61 and whatever the next stable build was, and that new setting's been in all of the installers ever since.

I'm using Windows XP Media Center. I'd post a dxdiag or something, but that's not working for reasons outlined above.
I've been having serious issues with installing drivers for my 8500GT for several years now. Whenever I attempt to install a driver more recent than 270.61, I get an "Installation Failed" message during either the installation of the driver itself or (on rare occasions) the control panel. This happens no matter what type of installation I attempt, and trying to uninstall the drivers, etc. manually tends to result in a "Found New Hardware" popup automatically installing the drivers by itself before I can run the Nvidia installer. Today I attempted to install 296.10 only for the installation to fail during the driver section. Currently, I have full functionality of my desktop and appear to be using the latest driver, except for the minor problem where absolutely nothing related to DirectX is working at all and I keep getting the Found New Hardware wizard popup all the time, including immediately after using the Found New Hardware wizard to install the drivers. Fortunately, I have the installation files for 270.61 on my hard drive. Unfortunately, 270.61 is several years old, and has about a 1% chance to totally freeze my system upon opening a Youtube video.

I've attempted to find solutions to this before, but for one reason or another nothing ever happened. I'm hoping this time something can actually be done about this. I suspect that some sort of setting got changed in the installer between 270.61 and whatever the next stable build was, and that new setting's been in all of the installers ever since.

I'm using Windows XP Media Center. I'd post a dxdiag or something, but that's not working for reasons outlined above.

Posted 04/28/2012 06:30 PM   
uninstall old drivers, reboot into safemode, run drivesweeper for Nvidia display and physx, reboot, install driver of choice

In the drive forum there is a stick called how to install drivers which show the above.
uninstall old drivers, reboot into safemode, run drivesweeper for Nvidia display and physx, reboot, install driver of choice

In the drive forum there is a stick called how to install drivers which show the above.

Antec Dark Fleet DF-85 Case

ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3

i7-2600k @ 4.4 GHz

Corsair H60 in Push/Pull

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 9-9-9-24

2 Zotac GTX 580s in SLI

Crucial M4 128GB SSD for OS

Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB 7200 RPM HDD

PSU Corsair HX 1050W

Windows 7 64-Bit Home Premium

Monitor Dell UltraSharp U2410 (1920x1200)

Posted 04/28/2012 06:33 PM   
[quote name='MontyQ' date='28 April 2012 - 01:33 PM' timestamp='1335637999' post='1402004']

[/quote]

Trying that, but it's written for Vista, and I have XP. Most notably, I have no idea whether I'm actually deleting the driver software on the device manager step, because the checkbox they mention does not exist.

Also, I can't delete the entire "NVIDIA Corporation" folder because the folders "nTune", "NVIDIA Updatus", and "NVUpdate" all have at least one file that is either write-protected (shouldn't be, I'm an admin) or in use (shouldn't be, I already uninstalled everything the guide told me to). And I can't do the force ownership thing mentioned at the end of the guide because, again, I'm running XP and these settings they mention do not exist in my OS.

Oh, and the files in system32? No idea where they are, because XP doesn't have a DriverStore folder, just a drivers folder.

Also also: The posts at the end of that topic all say that the stuff outlined in the topic is all stuff that [i]the 296.10 installer already does automatically anyway.[/i] And since that installer failed...
[quote name='MontyQ' date='28 April 2012 - 01:33 PM' timestamp='1335637999' post='1402004']

Trying that, but it's written for Vista, and I have XP. Most notably, I have no idea whether I'm actually deleting the driver software on the device manager step, because the checkbox they mention does not exist.

Also, I can't delete the entire "NVIDIA Corporation" folder because the folders "nTune", "NVIDIA Updatus", and "NVUpdate" all have at least one file that is either write-protected (shouldn't be, I'm an admin) or in use (shouldn't be, I already uninstalled everything the guide told me to). And I can't do the force ownership thing mentioned at the end of the guide because, again, I'm running XP and these settings they mention do not exist in my OS.

Oh, and the files in system32? No idea where they are, because XP doesn't have a DriverStore folder, just a drivers folder.

Also also: The posts at the end of that topic all say that the stuff outlined in the topic is all stuff that the 296.10 installer already does automatically anyway. And since that installer failed...

Posted 04/28/2012 09:01 PM   
...Aaaand the guide is officially useless. I did as much of the steps it mentioned as were actually applicable to my system, and the 296.10 installer failed within a second of me telling it to start. That is not hyperbole, it literally gave me a "Failed" message less than a second after I had picked my options (clean install, everything except Nvidia Update) and told it to begin.

I'm gonna have to reinstall 270.61 again, since it's the only installer that actually f***ing works. Yes, I am mad, I wasted a full four hours on this crap that didn't do anything whatsoever.
...Aaaand the guide is officially useless. I did as much of the steps it mentioned as were actually applicable to my system, and the 296.10 installer failed within a second of me telling it to start. That is not hyperbole, it literally gave me a "Failed" message less than a second after I had picked my options (clean install, everything except Nvidia Update) and told it to begin.

I'm gonna have to reinstall 270.61 again, since it's the only installer that actually f***ing works. Yes, I am mad, I wasted a full four hours on this crap that didn't do anything whatsoever.

Posted 04/28/2012 09:50 PM   
Okay, I apologize for the outburst that was formerly in this post. I managed to install 270.61 after all, by...using an express installation instead of a custom one. I have no idea how that's supposed to make any sense, but...well.

However, since your "solution" basically just screwed up my system worse than it already was, to the point where my graphics card was very nearly bricked, I'd appreciate assistance from someone else.
Okay, I apologize for the outburst that was formerly in this post. I managed to install 270.61 after all, by...using an express installation instead of a custom one. I have no idea how that's supposed to make any sense, but...well.

However, since your "solution" basically just screwed up my system worse than it already was, to the point where my graphics card was very nearly bricked, I'd appreciate assistance from someone else.

Posted 04/28/2012 09:55 PM   
Scroll To Top