4 Monitor Setup on laptop ?
Hi everybody,

first of all, im sorry if this post isn't at the right place, i didn't really know where to post it.

I got an Alienware M17X (laptop) with a GTX 580M.

I would like to make a 4 monitor setup (3 monitor + laptop monitor)

Is it possible since the GPU only support 2 monitor?

I know I could buy another and put both in SLI but i never opened a laptop and i dont want to mess it up (and I don't know if there is space for another GPU)

Is there a way i could do this ?

maybe with an external SLI socket or something where i could put another graphic card ?

my objective is to make a 3 screen gaming setup at home that would always stay in place, so i could plug everything on a dock or something like that then i would just have to plug the dock to the laptop and the 3 scrren would be ready.

I know i should have bought a Desktop pc to do that but i like the fact that i can transport my gaming rig with me at all time and have a ultimate gaming setup at home :P.

thanks in advance for your help,

jerome
Hi everybody,

first of all, im sorry if this post isn't at the right place, i didn't really know where to post it.

I got an Alienware M17X (laptop) with a GTX 580M.

I would like to make a 4 monitor setup (3 monitor + laptop monitor)

Is it possible since the GPU only support 2 monitor?

I know I could buy another and put both in SLI but i never opened a laptop and i dont want to mess it up (and I don't know if there is space for another GPU)

Is there a way i could do this ?

maybe with an external SLI socket or something where i could put another graphic card ?

my objective is to make a 3 screen gaming setup at home that would always stay in place, so i could plug everything on a dock or something like that then i would just have to plug the dock to the laptop and the 3 scrren would be ready.

I know i should have bought a Desktop pc to do that but i like the fact that i can transport my gaming rig with me at all time and have a ultimate gaming setup at home :P.

thanks in advance for your help,

jerome

Posted 04/28/2012 04:41 PM   
Any idea ?

i've searched alot on the internet.

I think i wont be able to put another 580M in my M17X but maybe there is a way to do an external sli link ?

Like plugging an sli cable directly on the graphic card to another graphic card that would be outside of the unit with an external power source.

is it doable ?
Any idea ?

i've searched alot on the internet.

I think i wont be able to put another 580M in my M17X but maybe there is a way to do an external sli link ?

Like plugging an sli cable directly on the graphic card to another graphic card that would be outside of the unit with an external power source.

is it doable ?

Posted 04/30/2012 05:15 PM   
Hi and welcome to the forums! /w00twave.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':w00twave:' />

Unfortunately this will not be possible with the current machine you have, as laptops can only support depending on the make/model/manufacture/GeForce card, up to 2 external displays.

You can not add a 2nd graphics card into 99.9% of laptops unless specified by the manufacturer.

And there are no external graphic solutions that would allow you to achieve a 3 monitor gaming setup using this laptop /confused.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':confused:' />

Sorry for the inconvenience
Hi and welcome to the forums! /w00twave.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':w00twave:' />

Unfortunately this will not be possible with the current machine you have, as laptops can only support depending on the make/model/manufacture/GeForce card, up to 2 external displays.

You can not add a 2nd graphics card into 99.9% of laptops unless specified by the manufacturer.

And there are no external graphic solutions that would allow you to achieve a 3 monitor gaming setup using this laptop /confused.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':confused:' />

Sorry for the inconvenience

Home::Asus P8Z68 Deluxe::i7 2600k::16g Corsair Vengeance::Samsung 830 120gb SSD(OS)::GTX 690/GTX650Ti Physx :Asus AE247H x3 Surround.
Test rig::P9X79::i7-3820: Gskills 8gb::EVGA GTX 670SC SLI
Please send me a PM if I fail to keep up on replying in any specific thread, I sometimes forget to check all of the many ones I reply to.
Opinions expressed here are my own and do not reflect the opinions of NVIDIA
Email Support:::Beta & Archived Driver Search:::Browser TDR Survey:::Promo Code Tips

Posted 04/30/2012 06:23 PM   
Scroll To Top