dropped frames in Youtube even though cpu usage is low
Hello,
I get dropped frames in Youtube using Flash video (verified by right-click/show info)
It occurs on all resolutions, HD - 240/360 low-res.

It occurs whether HW acceleration is active or not. CPU usage is low; doesn't seem to
be a factor. I've changed the Nvidia driver a few times, but I'm not sure any of them
affected the problem (Currently running 258.96. (Vista Ultimate/EVGA 8600GT)
CPU is an AMD64 X2 4200 (2.2GHZ dual core).

It occurs whether the complete file has buffered completely or not. Moving the mouse (PS/2)
increases the dropped frames. Turning of Cool and Quiet in the BIOS (AMD power saving)
does not improve the situation.

It's a most curious problem. The dropped frames seem to indicate some starving of resources
necessary to play the file smoothly, but I can't detect any constraint in the system.
As I mentioned, even low-res video's, with cpu 25-30% (HW accel. off) or
5-10% (HW accel on) exhibit the problem.
Hello,

I get dropped frames in Youtube using Flash video (verified by right-click/show info)

It occurs on all resolutions, HD - 240/360 low-res.

It occurs whether HW acceleration is active or not. CPU usage is low; doesn't seem to

be a factor. I've changed the Nvidia driver a few times, but I'm not sure any of them

affected the problem (Currently running 258.96. (Vista Ultimate/EVGA 8600GT)

CPU is an AMD64 X2 4200 (2.2GHZ dual core).

It occurs whether the complete file has buffered completely or not. Moving the mouse (PS/2)

increases the dropped frames. Turning of Cool and Quiet in the BIOS (AMD power saving)

does not improve the situation.

It's a most curious problem. The dropped frames seem to indicate some starving of resources

necessary to play the file smoothly, but I can't detect any constraint in the system.

Posted 04/27/2012 10:50 PM   
[quote name='davexnet' date='27 April 2012 - 03:50 PM' timestamp='1335567051' post='1401767']

[/quote]

I suspect the video driver is not to blame, something else in the system
is causing it. I uninstalled the display driver, set the Standard VGA driver
to the same color depth and resolution as I normally use, and played the 4 minute
music video. Got about 80 dropped frames, similar to the Nvidia display driver,
with Flash acceleration disabled.

In XP, on the same box (driver 285.58) I get far fewer dropped frames, maybe 50%
less. But again, I suspect, something other that the video driver is the real cause.
[quote name='davexnet' date='27 April 2012 - 03:50 PM' timestamp='1335567051' post='1401767']

I suspect the video driver is not to blame, something else in the system

is causing it. I uninstalled the display driver, set the Standard VGA driver

to the same color depth and resolution as I normally use, and played the 4 minute

music video. Got about 80 dropped frames, similar to the Nvidia display driver,

with Flash acceleration disabled.

In XP, on the same box (driver 285.58) I get far fewer dropped frames, maybe 50%

less. But again, I suspect, something other that the video driver is the real cause.

Posted 04/28/2012 07:19 PM   
Scroll To Top