Silent Stream Bug (FIX IT ALREADY)
If Nvidia is touting its 3D vision with not only games, but 3D Blu-Ray movies, then you'd think they would have the HDMI audio all set as well.

Well this has been talked about a lot over the past 2 years, but this is a post to say we need to petition this too.

HDMI/Displayport is taking precidence over DVI as the standard digital cable since it carries both Audio and Video. More and more people with HDMI AV receivers will start using them with their computers since Nvidia provides these standard connections on their GPU's today.

PCM/LPCM is the native Windows audio format and is the highest quality of any audio compression format out there (PCM isn't compressed at ALL!). But usually since its a raw digital stream, it's not as "smart" to devices as when a DTS or Dolby Digital stream is being sent to the device that has a decoding header within itself.

This is why PCM in the Nvidia drivers (and any graphics card drivers for any company) should provide a constant "Silent Stream" of PCM data to the HDMI receiver.

Because of the lack of this "Silent Stream" in current drivers, Many receivers (including mine) miss the first few seconds of an audio file or can't even hear the 1-2 second Desktop sound effects.

With my receiver in particular, not having a silent stream causes my receiver to stay in a 2 channel PCM mode from a desktop sound effect being played then trying to open 5.1 content. The 5.1 LPCM content is packed into that 2 channel PCM stream and i don't get what i expect.

Choosing the certain speaker setup in the windows sound panel should dictate whether the GPU sends either 2 channel PCM, 5.1 LPCM or even 7.1 LPCM (for 7.1 receivers). Its all possible as it happens over the PCI-E bus now (If you have a GTX 400+ series card with VP4+ which most enthusiasts have).

This will be a growing issue once HDMI becomes more common in future HD device purchases.
If Nvidia is touting its 3D vision with not only games, but 3D Blu-Ray movies, then you'd think they would have the HDMI audio all set as well.

Well this has been talked about a lot over the past 2 years, but this is a post to say we need to petition this too.

HDMI/Displayport is taking precidence over DVI as the standard digital cable since it carries both Audio and Video. More and more people with HDMI AV receivers will start using them with their computers since Nvidia provides these standard connections on their GPU's today.

PCM/LPCM is the native Windows audio format and is the highest quality of any audio compression format out there (PCM isn't compressed at ALL!). But usually since its a raw digital stream, it's not as "smart" to devices as when a DTS or Dolby Digital stream is being sent to the device that has a decoding header within itself.

This is why PCM in the Nvidia drivers (and any graphics card drivers for any company) should provide a constant "Silent Stream" of PCM data to the HDMI receiver.

Because of the lack of this "Silent Stream" in current drivers, Many receivers (including mine) miss the first few seconds of an audio file or can't even hear the 1-2 second Desktop sound effects.

With my receiver in particular, not having a silent stream causes my receiver to stay in a 2 channel PCM mode from a desktop sound effect being played then trying to open 5.1 content. The 5.1 LPCM content is packed into that 2 channel PCM stream and i don't get what i expect.

Choosing the certain speaker setup in the windows sound panel should dictate whether the GPU sends either 2 channel PCM, 5.1 LPCM or even 7.1 LPCM (for 7.1 receivers). Its all possible as it happens over the PCI-E bus now (If you have a GTX 400+ series card with VP4+ which most enthusiasts have).

This will be a growing issue once HDMI becomes more common in future HD device purchases.

Posted 04/26/2012 10:16 PM   
Yeah, we know. Nvidia are **** and have not fixed it yet.

Another thread with potential fix: http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=224880
Yeah, we know. Nvidia are **** and have not fixed it yet.

Another thread with potential fix: http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=224880

Posted 05/01/2012 02:48 PM   
Scroll To Top