Anyone have a avr that is a known good with 3dtv? Burnt one time by the "supported" list
  1 / 2    
I got burnt by purchasing a pioneer vsx-921-k after reviewing the "supported" list. My friends at nvidia removed it from the list because it isn't compatiable anymore (I believe it happened between 2 and 3 am). I was looking at the denon AVR-1911CI but I dont have the money to have a half dozen recievers sitting around because the supported list isn't supported. I only want to find a avr that can pass 3d to my pj. Who had a known good avr?
I got burnt by purchasing a pioneer vsx-921-k after reviewing the "supported" list. My friends at nvidia removed it from the list because it isn't compatiable anymore (I believe it happened between 2 and 3 am). I was looking at the denon AVR-1911CI but I dont have the money to have a half dozen recievers sitting around because the supported list isn't supported. I only want to find a avr that can pass 3d to my pj. Who had a known good avr?

Posted 04/26/2012 01:20 AM   
I have one of these and love it (ONKYO TX-NR809 7.2-Channel 3D Network A/V Receiver) -- awesome unit, everything you could want, built-in Pandora, Slacker, and many others. All around outstanding unit and massive amount of power to spare. I've had it a year and zero issues. Updates itself via internet. I've been though about 4 BIOS updates, Onkyo continues to keep it updated. Has an outstanding Ipad / Iphone app, you can control the entire thing and all connected devices with the app. You can stream from PC's with built-in interface, does everything you could want on-screen. Upscales ALL video input to 1920 x 1080 and has two HDMI outputs as well as 8 or 9 inputs.

"Sporting seven HDMI inputs on the back, one on the front all supporting 3D and Audio Return Channel, and dual HDMI outputs, all you high def needs are covered."

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/receivers/onkyo-tx-nr809-fl

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1947079&SRCCODE=GOOGLEBASE&cm_mmc_o=VRqCjC7BBTkwCjCECjCE

[img]http://a5.mzstatic.com/us/r1000/099/Purple/v4/2a/8b/0d/2a8b0d2d-4e0e-03e4-05f2-56581e6d4766/mzl.msdrtufl.320x480-75.jpg[/img]

[img]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-L_d07SSaBX4/TdLknEiHDAI/AAAAAAAAAgg/qqKx_Dj2VyA/s1600/txnr809_back_300.jpg[/img]
I have one of these and love it (ONKYO TX-NR809 7.2-Channel 3D Network A/V Receiver) -- awesome unit, everything you could want, built-in Pandora, Slacker, and many others. All around outstanding unit and massive amount of power to spare. I've had it a year and zero issues. Updates itself via internet. I've been though about 4 BIOS updates, Onkyo continues to keep it updated. Has an outstanding Ipad / Iphone app, you can control the entire thing and all connected devices with the app. You can stream from PC's with built-in interface, does everything you could want on-screen. Upscales ALL video input to 1920 x 1080 and has two HDMI outputs as well as 8 or 9 inputs.

"Sporting seven HDMI inputs on the back, one on the front all supporting 3D and Audio Return Channel, and dual HDMI outputs, all you high def needs are covered."

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/receivers/onkyo-tx-nr809-fl

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1947079&SRCCODE=GOOGLEBASE&cm_mmc_o=VRqCjC7BBTkwCjCECjCE

http://www.hollywoodpcrepair.com/index.html

https://plus.google.com/113631846936966512572/about?gl=US&hl=en-US

Intel Core i7 X 980 3.33GHz @ 3.3 GHz

eVGA X58 Classified 4-Way SLI motherboard

HAF-X Case, Corsair H80 CPU Liquid Cooler

12GB System RAM

EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480

KingWin Mach 1 ATX 1220-Watt Power Supply

Western Digital VelociRaptor 10000 RPM hdd

Posted 04/26/2012 02:33 AM   
[quote name='robbman' date='26 April 2012 - 10:20 AM' timestamp='1335403234' post='1401062']
I got burnt by purchasing a pioneer vsx-921-k after reviewing the "supported" list.[/quote]

Just to confirm, you did actually set it up and try it right?

For what it's worth, I have a vsx-820 and it works. I find I have to connect my PC and projector (3DTV), an Acer H5360BD, directly once and log into Windows, otherwise the projector won't get the HDMI signal. I'm not sure of the reason for this, maybe something with the PC needing to get a direct look at the projector or vice versa, but once I've done that once I can hook it up PC-vsx820-H5360BD and it'll work for as long as I don't try to connect my PC to any other display device. Might be a receiver issue, might be a projector issue, might be an HDMI cable issue. In your case too, it might be a problem other than 3DTV Play.
[quote name='robbman' date='26 April 2012 - 10:20 AM' timestamp='1335403234' post='1401062']

I got burnt by purchasing a pioneer vsx-921-k after reviewing the "supported" list.

Just to confirm, you did actually set it up and try it right?

For what it's worth, I have a vsx-820 and it works. I find I have to connect my PC and projector (3DTV), an Acer H5360BD, directly once and log into Windows, otherwise the projector won't get the HDMI signal. I'm not sure of the reason for this, maybe something with the PC needing to get a direct look at the projector or vice versa, but once I've done that once I can hook it up PC-vsx820-H5360BD and it'll work for as long as I don't try to connect my PC to any other display device. Might be a receiver issue, might be a projector issue, might be an HDMI cable issue. In your case too, it might be a problem other than 3DTV Play.

Posted 04/26/2012 05:11 AM   
nvidia said there was a problem with that avr. They did remove it from the supported list!
nvidia said there was a problem with that avr. They did remove it from the supported list!

Posted 04/26/2012 05:15 AM   
I was just thinking that 3DTV should in theory support any HDMI 1.4 device regardless of the list, but if Nvidia specifically said there was an issue with it, then, yeah, no helping it on the user end.

EDIT: And again just to confirm, you did give it a try right? I'd say it's worth a shot even if Nvidia says there's a problem.
I was just thinking that 3DTV should in theory support any HDMI 1.4 device regardless of the list, but if Nvidia specifically said there was an issue with it, then, yeah, no helping it on the user end.

EDIT: And again just to confirm, you did give it a try right? I'd say it's worth a shot even if Nvidia says there's a problem.

Posted 04/26/2012 05:19 AM   
I looked and that onkyo isn't even on the supported list! Guess it doesn't matter as they didn't provide support for my avr! If the onkyo can pass 3d then what's the deal with the list? I purchased one from the stupid list because I didn't want to chance not getting something that wouldn't work! How about some know avr that IS on the list of "supported" devices! I already have one avr that doesn't work thanks to the list as it is!!!
I looked and that onkyo isn't even on the supported list! Guess it doesn't matter as they didn't provide support for my avr! If the onkyo can pass 3d then what's the deal with the list? I purchased one from the stupid list because I didn't want to chance not getting something that wouldn't work! How about some know avr that IS on the list of "supported" devices! I already have one avr that doesn't work thanks to the list as it is!!!

Posted 04/26/2012 05:32 AM   
http://www.nvidia.com/object/3dtv-play-system-requirements.html

That list has got to be old. It includes the TX-NR609, therefore the TX-NR-809 would also be approved since it has every feature of the 609 and many more. I am here to tell you I have a TX-NR809 and it works perfectly with my Nvidia cards, and everything else.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/3dtv-play-system-requirements.html

That list has got to be old. It includes the TX-NR609, therefore the TX-NR-809 would also be approved since it has every feature of the 609 and many more. I am here to tell you I have a TX-NR809 and it works perfectly with my Nvidia cards, and everything else.

12GB System RAM

Posted 04/26/2012 05:44 AM   
I hear you but I already have one avr that should work, that was a waste of money... pioneer vsx-921-k was listed but can't pass 3d video. You would think all the other pioneers would be using the same design between the current models. The list is outdated and I can't say I had any benifits from buying mine from the list as well! I'm thinking hard on it for sure! You have passed 3d through that correct? That's where I got burned, it can pass everything but 1080P @24Hz.
I hear you but I already have one avr that should work, that was a waste of money... pioneer vsx-921-k was listed but can't pass 3d video. You would think all the other pioneers would be using the same design between the current models. The list is outdated and I can't say I had any benifits from buying mine from the list as well! I'm thinking hard on it for sure! You have passed 3d through that correct? That's where I got burned, it can pass everything but 1080P @24Hz.

Posted 04/26/2012 11:59 AM   
Yes I have passed 3G thru no problem.
Yes I have passed 3G thru no problem.

12GB System RAM

Posted 04/26/2012 12:55 PM   
[quote name='robbman' date='26 April 2012 - 08:59 PM' timestamp='1335441571' post='1401191']You have passed 3d through that correct? That's where I got burned, it can pass everything but 1080P @24Hz.
[/quote]

Yep, sounds like a problem with your set up. Perhaps your PC is trying to send 1080p60@60hz, or perhaps your display can't take a 1080p 3D signal with your current setup. Take another look at my previous post and experiment. There's a lot of factors to consider besides just Nvidia or your receiver: PC settings, 3D display, HDMI cables, etc.
[quote name='robbman' date='26 April 2012 - 08:59 PM' timestamp='1335441571' post='1401191']You have passed 3d through that correct? That's where I got burned, it can pass everything but 1080P @24Hz.

Yep, sounds like a problem with your set up. Perhaps your PC is trying to send 1080p60@60hz, or perhaps your display can't take a 1080p 3D signal with your current setup. Take another look at my previous post and experiment. There's a lot of factors to consider besides just Nvidia or your receiver: PC settings, 3D display, HDMI cables, etc.

Posted 04/26/2012 01:02 PM   
We tested the Pioneer home theater receiver EDID information here in our labs with an HDMI Analyzer and were able to reproduce your issue. Unfortunately this Pioneer AVR in unable to properly return a signal to the output device when using HDMI 3D output timings. Since this is a Pioneer issue, we have no way of fixing it. Our online recommendations are based on the manufacturers correctly implementing the specifications for HDMI 3D timings. We realize this is a major inconvenience for you, and would like to provide you a refund for 3DTV Play software purchase as well as a couple of free game codes for your trouble.

So Unfortunately it seems like this issue resides on the AVR side rather than on our driver/software side, I know this is disappointing and I apologize for the extreme inconvenience this has caused you. Please send me the email address used to purchase 3D TV play so I can get the refund processed for you.
We tested the Pioneer home theater receiver EDID information here in our labs with an HDMI Analyzer and were able to reproduce your issue. Unfortunately this Pioneer AVR in unable to properly return a signal to the output device when using HDMI 3D output timings. Since this is a Pioneer issue, we have no way of fixing it. Our online recommendations are based on the manufacturers correctly implementing the specifications for HDMI 3D timings. We realize this is a major inconvenience for you, and would like to provide you a refund for 3DTV Play software purchase as well as a couple of free game codes for your trouble.

So Unfortunately it seems like this issue resides on the AVR side rather than on our driver/software side, I know this is disappointing and I apologize for the extreme inconvenience this has caused you. Please send me the email address used to purchase 3D TV play so I can get the refund processed for you.

Posted 04/26/2012 02:16 PM   
[quote name='robbman' date='26 April 2012 - 02:16 PM' timestamp='1335449771' post='1401229']

[/quote]
That's pretty nice.

[b]"Unfortunately this Pioneer AVR in unable to properly return a signal to the output device when using HDMI 3D output timings."[/b]

Have you considered getting one of these?

http://www.hdtvsupply.com/edidadapters.html

They might help your EDID return info problem coming from the Pioneer. I don't know but it might be worth a try.

This one seems to do the trick..I think you put this between your receiver and TV.

http://www.hdtvsupply.com/hdmi-detective.html
[quote name='robbman' date='26 April 2012 - 02:16 PM' timestamp='1335449771' post='1401229']

That's pretty nice.

"Unfortunately this Pioneer AVR in unable to properly return a signal to the output device when using HDMI 3D output timings."

Have you considered getting one of these?

http://www.hdtvsupply.com/edidadapters.html

They might help your EDID return info problem coming from the Pioneer. I don't know but it might be worth a try.

This one seems to do the trick..I think you put this between your receiver and TV.

http://www.hdtvsupply.com/hdmi-detective.html

HELIX MOD NEWS

Worked on these Helix Mods ---> PURE MX vs. ATV : REFLEX TOY SOLDIERS CRASH TIME 4 BANG BANG Racing

Dual CPU Tyan S7002 (2) Intel Xeon X5550 @ 3.1Ghz 12G DDR3 16 Cores (Logical) 8 Cores (Physical)

Galaxy GTX 670

Posted 04/26/2012 07:33 PM   
yes, and I spoke to gefen tech support too. he said same thing, it spoofed the card but still a black 3d screen. I must admitt, it was quite refreshing to talk to real techs at gefen! I decided to go with denon avr-2311ci (stupid me still believes in "support"), hope this one works! Guess that ends any easy settlement.....
yes, and I spoke to gefen tech support too. he said same thing, it spoofed the card but still a black 3d screen. I must admitt, it was quite refreshing to talk to real techs at gefen! I decided to go with denon avr-2311ci (stupid me still believes in "support"), hope this one works! Guess that ends any easy settlement.....

Posted 04/26/2012 08:31 PM   
[quote name='robbman' date='26 April 2012 - 08:31 PM' timestamp='1335472307' post='1401322']
[/quote]
Gefen has been around since MIDI was invented. Good to hear they know their stuff
[quote name='robbman' date='26 April 2012 - 08:31 PM' timestamp='1335472307' post='1401322']

Gefen has been around since MIDI was invented. Good to hear they know their stuff

HELIX MOD NEWS

Worked on these Helix Mods ---> PURE MX vs. ATV : REFLEX TOY SOLDIERS CRASH TIME 4 BANG BANG Racing

Dual CPU Tyan S7002 (2) Intel Xeon X5550 @ 3.1Ghz 12G DDR3 16 Cores (Logical) 8 Cores (Physical)

Galaxy GTX 670

Posted 04/26/2012 10:23 PM   
The support is a plus! I wish that would have solved my issue!! When I purchased the pioneer off of the supported list, I expected that it was a known good, not wishful thinking on nvidias part. That isn't very smart to suggest that you can support something you haven't even looked at! Today is my big day! woot!!!
The support is a plus! I wish that would have solved my issue!! When I purchased the pioneer off of the supported list, I expected that it was a known good, not wishful thinking on nvidias part. That isn't very smart to suggest that you can support something you haven't even looked at! Today is my big day! woot!!!

Posted 04/26/2012 10:45 PM   
  1 / 2    
Scroll To Top