GTX 590 Constant Fan Noise
I have an EVGA GTX 590 Classified (air). I'm using the Precision X program to check temps. Here's what happens...I turn on my computer and do nothing...I let it sit for maybe 10 minutes or so and the GPU fan starts increasing until you can hear it across the room. The temp on GPU2 floats between 33 to 36 degrees celsius and sometimes goes to 39. The fan speed says it's at 40% and it climbs up to 44% at times. But the sound of this thing is constant and it's driving me nuts. This all started after the latest driver update. Before that this behavior would happen sporadically like 3 times a month. Now it is every single day. I have never had a graphics card make fan noise like this. My apartment is not hot either. I have a CoolerMaster HAF case with lots of fans.

Any ideas what I can do?

I should mention I have tried playing with the fan control and noticed that even when I change the fan curve to go up to say, 80% and the indicator shows that is happening, the sound of the fan remains constant. I do believe it is spinning at full rpm and cannot lower itself for some reason but I have no way to prove the theory.
I have an EVGA GTX 590 Classified (air). I'm using the Precision X program to check temps. Here's what happens...I turn on my computer and do nothing...I let it sit for maybe 10 minutes or so and the GPU fan starts increasing until you can hear it across the room. The temp on GPU2 floats between 33 to 36 degrees celsius and sometimes goes to 39. The fan speed says it's at 40% and it climbs up to 44% at times. But the sound of this thing is constant and it's driving me nuts. This all started after the latest driver update. Before that this behavior would happen sporadically like 3 times a month. Now it is every single day. I have never had a graphics card make fan noise like this. My apartment is not hot either. I have a CoolerMaster HAF case with lots of fans.

Any ideas what I can do?

I should mention I have tried playing with the fan control and noticed that even when I change the fan curve to go up to say, 80% and the indicator shows that is happening, the sound of the fan remains constant. I do believe it is spinning at full rpm and cannot lower itself for some reason but I have no way to prove the theory.

Posted 04/26/2012 12:41 AM   
[quote name='scrapser' date='26 April 2012 - 12:41 AM' timestamp='1335400898' post='1401050']

Any ideas what I can do?

[/quote]

I also had that and it was dust in the housing of the card
I also had a post with temp problems [url="http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=227953"]Haf X an the GTX 590 [/url] maby that is someting to look into and if you realy want in noiseles put watercooling on the card
[quote name='scrapser' date='26 April 2012 - 12:41 AM' timestamp='1335400898' post='1401050']

Any ideas what I can do?

I also had a post with temp problems Haf X an the GTX 590 maby that is someting to look into and if you realy want in noiseles put watercooling on the card

GPU: Asus gtx Titan
CPU: Intel i7 975 @ 4.5
Motherboard: Asus Rampage 2 Extreme
System Memory: Corsair DDR3 @1600
Primary Monitor: Benq
Operating System: Windows 7 64
HDD Type: Samsung 840 pro AHCI
PSU: Corsair 860
Sound: Creative soundblaster X-Fi

Posted 04/26/2012 09:11 AM   
[quote name='*Scar*' date='26 April 2012 - 05:11 AM' timestamp='1335431481' post='1401162']
I also had a post with temp problems [url="http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=227953"]Haf X an the GTX 590 [/url] maby that is someting to look into and if you realy want in noiseles put watercooling on the card
[/quote]

I cleaned the fan about a month ago and did my best to blow out the cooling fins with a can of air. Is it possible to remove the cover? I tried taking out the obvious screws but the cover still seemed to be attached to something so I gave up...not wanting to break anything.
[quote name='*Scar*' date='26 April 2012 - 05:11 AM' timestamp='1335431481' post='1401162']

I also had a post with temp problems Haf X an the GTX 590 maby that is someting to look into and if you realy want in noiseles put watercooling on the card

I cleaned the fan about a month ago and did my best to blow out the cooling fins with a can of air. Is it possible to remove the cover? I tried taking out the obvious screws but the cover still seemed to be attached to something so I gave up...not wanting to break anything.

Posted 04/26/2012 11:14 AM   
Okay I gave cleaning the fan another try. This time I was able to figure out how to get the cover off. The fan and cooling fins were actually pretty clean but I removed any dust I could find and blew the fins out again. At startup the fan was quiet. After about 3 minutes it went to full speed and stayed there. I immediately launched Precision X and saw both GPU temps in the high 40's and going down slowly. They eventually dropped to around 33.

Then I launched IE to go to this forum and write this reply. While typing the above sentences, the fan speed started to waver slightly and then went quiet again. The temps are now 47 and 44 with no fan noise! Nothing about this card makes any sense to me in terms of its fan behavior. It seems to have two speeds (quiet and full blast). Rarely do I hear the rpm's going up and down except when the fan is going from full speed to quiet or vice versa.

The Precision X program is at factory defaults by the way. I'm not messing with any settings. It's too bad you cannot see what the actual fan RPM's are in Precision X. I think that would be more useful than a simple percentage value.
Okay I gave cleaning the fan another try. This time I was able to figure out how to get the cover off. The fan and cooling fins were actually pretty clean but I removed any dust I could find and blew the fins out again. At startup the fan was quiet. After about 3 minutes it went to full speed and stayed there. I immediately launched Precision X and saw both GPU temps in the high 40's and going down slowly. They eventually dropped to around 33.

Then I launched IE to go to this forum and write this reply. While typing the above sentences, the fan speed started to waver slightly and then went quiet again. The temps are now 47 and 44 with no fan noise! Nothing about this card makes any sense to me in terms of its fan behavior. It seems to have two speeds (quiet and full blast). Rarely do I hear the rpm's going up and down except when the fan is going from full speed to quiet or vice versa.

The Precision X program is at factory defaults by the way. I'm not messing with any settings. It's too bad you cannot see what the actual fan RPM's are in Precision X. I think that would be more useful than a simple percentage value.

Posted 04/26/2012 12:16 PM   
[quote name='scrapser' date='26 April 2012 - 12:16 PM' timestamp='1335442566' post='1401194']

[/quote]

I just wanted to post some pictures to remove the cover but thats done allready
I had the same problems with the previus drivers but not the latest WHQL
The progam i use to monitor is [url="http://openhardwaremonitor.org/"]Open Hardware Monitor[/url]
I dont know how the fan wil react now becouse my system is on water and i can adjust the casefans manualy now
[quote name='scrapser' date='26 April 2012 - 12:16 PM' timestamp='1335442566' post='1401194']

The progam i use to monitor is Open Hardware Monitor

I dont know how the fan wil react now becouse my system is on water and i can adjust the casefans manualy now
Attachments

IMG3531.JPG

Posted 04/26/2012 04:08 PM   
[quote name='*Scar*' date='26 April 2012 - 12:08 PM' timestamp='1335456521' post='1401255']
The progam i use to monitor is [url="http://openhardwaremonitor.org/"]Open Hardware Monitor[/url]
[/quote]

What's really bizarre with this card is the fan slows down when I do something with the computer. For example, it's been howling away at full speed for the last hour or so (I was watching TV). I came back online and opened your photo and as soon as the image started opening, the fan died down! But when I let it sit idle the fans runs constantly at full speed.

I forgot to mention I'm using the 295.73 driver now. I uninstalled the 296.10 driver and have not yet tried the latest beta...I doubt it would make any difference.

I'm almost ready to drop-kick this thing out the window. It really sucks.

Added later:

I installed the hardware monitor. My GPU fan is spinning at 2940 RPM even though the fan speed percentage is at 40% and my temps are 35-40 celsius.
[quote name='*Scar*' date='26 April 2012 - 12:08 PM' timestamp='1335456521' post='1401255']

The progam i use to monitor is Open Hardware Monitor

What's really bizarre with this card is the fan slows down when I do something with the computer. For example, it's been howling away at full speed for the last hour or so (I was watching TV). I came back online and opened your photo and as soon as the image started opening, the fan died down! But when I let it sit idle the fans runs constantly at full speed.

I forgot to mention I'm using the 295.73 driver now. I uninstalled the 296.10 driver and have not yet tried the latest beta...I doubt it would make any difference.

Added later:

I installed the hardware monitor. My GPU fan is spinning at 2940 RPM even though the fan speed percentage is at 40% and my temps are 35-40 celsius.

Posted 04/26/2012 10:03 PM   
[quote name='scrapser' date='26 April 2012 - 10:03 PM' timestamp='1335477809' post='1401349']

Added later:

[/quote]
/blarg.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':/' /> Oke can you uninstal the Precision X program and allso the nvidia stuf (go to START, Control Panel and click on "Programs and Features")
Dont panic if you see more Nvidia listings than shown in the screenshot. This is completly normal, as you may have previously installed other Nvidia driver components. You may see such extra listings as the Nvidia HD audio, Nvidia Update, Nvidia 3D Stereoscopic driver, Nvidia 3D controller and Nvidia Control panel... Ect.
*Important note: Users of older motherboards with Nvidia chipsets may see Nvidia listings that are unreleated to the Display Drivers. Before proceeding as noted below, you MUST know what the chipset listings are, and AVOID uninstalling them. If you uninstall Nvidia Chipset drivers, your system could become non functional and require a OS reinstall.
Now, one at a time.. highlight every Nvidia entry (except the Graphics Driver!!!!) and click "uninstall"... wait till each one is done and says its finished, before proceeding to the next listed entry. Do -ALL- of them until nothing is left but the "Graphics Driver" (with some older drivers it may list "Display Driver" instead...)
EDIT*Important note: If while uninstalling Nvidia display components, the system asks for a RESTART after uninstalling any component (except the Graphics Display) and it wont let you proceed when choosing "restart later", then its OK go ahead and restart and pick up in the Control Panel/Programs and Features where you left off.
DO NOT UNINSTALL THE "GRAPHICS DRIVER" entry, untill ALL other entries have been done FIRST
OK, there are no Nvidia entries left on the list except for the "graphics driver".

Highlight it, and choose Uninstall The system will ask for a RESTART, you should now do so!!

Reboot normally, do NOT boot into "safe mode"

Windows should now boot to the destop. You should recive a balloon message that windows has detected a device without a driver, then another message that windows has installed a "Standard VGA adaptor" (this is NOT a display driver), it may then ask for a "Restart"
*EDIT (2/1/12) It appears that a change in how the Standard VGA Adaptor loads, the it is now -recommended that if it asks for a "Restart" that you do so, and then proceed with the below steps.
This is completly normal and will not interfere with our driver install...
(I have personaly had 295.51 fail to properly install, because I skipped restarting after the Standard VGA Adaptor loaded. This is a "change" in how I had installed drivers in the past that uses of this Guide need to be aware of)
*What you dont want to see, is that Windows wants to install a "3d Display device driver". If you see such a message, attempt to cancel out of the install. This will only happen if you dont have the Admin rights you thought you did. If you "think" Windows tried to install a Nvidia driver on its own, Dont panic. Just wait till its done... Then open the Control Panel, Programs and Features and check the Nvidia listings to see if it did or not. If it DID, then you will need to uninstall in Programs and features (same steps as before), But this time, you will need to disconnect from the internet -before- the final uninstall step (this should keep windows from doing that again).

So your on the desktop and ready to install your new Nvidia driverset

"Double click" on the Nvidia driver installer package to start the install.
--> Do NOT -ever- use the Nvidia Express Install Option.(recommended my rear end, it can be malware)

Do NOT use the Express Install Option-Do NOT use the Express Install Option-Do NOT use the Express Install Option

**As many of thousands of users have discovered the hard way, using the "Express Install Option" has DESTROYED the operating condition of their computers...
--->and in some cases can lead to not even being able to boot normally into Windows.
The reason for this is some very mean person at Nvidia decided that Nvidia's new "HD Audio" product should be included in the "recommended" driver install package. Despite the fact that 97% of current users cannot even use it. And in total disrespect for that fact that is has and continues to cause great hardship, suffering and leaves many users with "broken", "crashing", "unstable" or "Black screen at boot" configs. Installing your drivers with Nvidia's "Express Install Option" can be a NITEMARE for a novice user and is no fun for a expert, and is to be avoided AT ALL COSTS!!
*While the actual percentage of users affected by this is small, the NUMBER of users affected is not.
Trust me, it is not a flip of the coin you want to risk. Avoid the Nvidia HD Audio driver like the plague.
Please choose the "Custom"(Advanced) Option and click next
After an good and clean instal dont use the precision x program only the hardware monitor
PS 296.10 are fine /thumbup.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbup:' /> but dont instal the Precision X program
I picked this up from the EVGA forum [url="http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=1174372&mpage=1"]DRIVER UNINSTALLING[/url]
[quote name='scrapser' date='26 April 2012 - 10:03 PM' timestamp='1335477809' post='1401349']

Added later:

/blarg.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':/' /> Oke can you uninstal the Precision X program and allso the nvidia stuf (go to START, Control Panel and click on "Programs and Features")

Dont panic if you see more Nvidia listings than shown in the screenshot. This is completly normal, as you may have previously installed other Nvidia driver components. You may see such extra listings as the Nvidia HD audio, Nvidia Update, Nvidia 3D Stereoscopic driver, Nvidia 3D controller and Nvidia Control panel... Ect.

*Important note: Users of older motherboards with Nvidia chipsets may see Nvidia listings that are unreleated to the Display Drivers. Before proceeding as noted below, you MUST know what the chipset listings are, and AVOID uninstalling them. If you uninstall Nvidia Chipset drivers, your system could become non functional and require a OS reinstall.

Now, one at a time.. highlight every Nvidia entry (except the Graphics Driver!!!!) and click "uninstall"... wait till each one is done and says its finished, before proceeding to the next listed entry. Do -ALL- of them until nothing is left but the "Graphics Driver" (with some older drivers it may list "Display Driver" instead...)

EDIT*Important note: If while uninstalling Nvidia display components, the system asks for a RESTART after uninstalling any component (except the Graphics Display) and it wont let you proceed when choosing "restart later", then its OK go ahead and restart and pick up in the Control Panel/Programs and Features where you left off.

DO NOT UNINSTALL THE "GRAPHICS DRIVER" entry, untill ALL other entries have been done FIRST

OK, there are no Nvidia entries left on the list except for the "graphics driver".

Highlight it, and choose Uninstall The system will ask for a RESTART, you should now do so!!

Windows should now boot to the destop. You should recive a balloon message that windows has detected a device without a driver, then another message that windows has installed a "Standard VGA adaptor" (this is NOT a display driver), it may then ask for a "Restart"

*EDIT (2/1/12) It appears that a change in how the Standard VGA Adaptor loads, the it is now -recommended that if it asks for a "Restart" that you do so, and then proceed with the below steps.

(I have personaly had 295.51 fail to properly install, because I skipped restarting after the Standard VGA Adaptor loaded. This is a "change" in how I had installed drivers in the past that uses of this Guide need to be aware of)

*What you dont want to see, is that Windows wants to install a "3d Display device driver". If you see such a message, attempt to cancel out of the install. This will only happen if you dont have the Admin rights you thought you did. If you "think" Windows tried to install a Nvidia driver on its own, Dont panic. Just wait till its done... Then open the Control Panel, Programs and Features and check the Nvidia listings to see if it did or not. If it DID, then you will need to uninstall in Programs and features (same steps as before), But this time, you will need to disconnect from the internet -before- the final uninstall step (this should keep windows from doing that again).

--> Do NOT -ever- use the Nvidia Express Install Option.(recommended my rear end, it can be malware)

Do NOT use the Express Install Option-Do NOT use the Express Install Option-Do NOT use the Express Install Option

**As many of thousands of users have discovered the hard way, using the "Express Install Option" has DESTROYED the operating condition of their computers...

--->and in some cases can lead to not even being able to boot normally into Windows.

The reason for this is some very mean person at Nvidia decided that Nvidia's new "HD Audio" product should be included in the "recommended" driver install package. Despite the fact that 97% of current users cannot even use it. And in total disrespect for that fact that is has and continues to cause great hardship, suffering and leaves many users with "broken", "crashing", "unstable" or "Black screen at boot" configs. Installing your drivers with Nvidia's "Express Install Option" can be a NITEMARE for a novice user and is no fun for a expert, and is to be avoided AT ALL COSTS!!

*While the actual percentage of users affected by this is small, the NUMBER of users affected is not.

Trust me, it is not a flip of the coin you want to risk. Avoid the Nvidia HD Audio driver like the plague.

After an good and clean instal dont use the precision x program only the hardware monitor

PS 296.10 are fine /thumbup.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbup:' /> but dont instal the Precision X program

I picked this up from the EVGA forum DRIVER UNINSTALLING

Posted 04/27/2012 08:19 AM   
[quote name='*Scar*' date='27 April 2012 - 04:19 AM' timestamp='1335514774' post='1401499']

I picked this up from the EVGA forum [url="http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=1174372&mpage=1"]DRIVER UNINSTALLING[/url]
[/quote]

Thanks for this info...I'll give it a try. I have always uninstalled all nVidia listings from the Add/Remove Programs list when upgrading to a new driver. I also usually reboot after everything is uninstalled to make sure the registry is cleared (old habit from Win95 days). I never us Express Install options with any software but I will tell you I did install the HD Audio ever since it appeared in driver packages because if I don't, I get the "Found New Hardware" message every time I boot up and have to cycle through the screens that are trying to find the driver.
[quote name='*Scar*' date='27 April 2012 - 04:19 AM' timestamp='1335514774' post='1401499']

I picked this up from the EVGA forum DRIVER UNINSTALLING

Thanks for this info...I'll give it a try. I have always uninstalled all nVidia listings from the Add/Remove Programs list when upgrading to a new driver. I also usually reboot after everything is uninstalled to make sure the registry is cleared (old habit from Win95 days). I never us Express Install options with any software but I will tell you I did install the HD Audio ever since it appeared in driver packages because if I don't, I get the "Found New Hardware" message every time I boot up and have to cycle through the screens that are trying to find the driver.

Posted 04/27/2012 11:27 AM   
Well I tried re-installing the current driver (296.10) without installing the HD Audio Drivers (after uninstalling the old driver per your post instructions). I also disabled all 8 HD audio devices in the Device Manager so I don't get nagged by the Hardware Manager to install anything. So far my graphics card has been quiet as a mouse. The hardware monitor program shows the fan speed at 1470 RPM. I think this may be a solution!
Well I tried re-installing the current driver (296.10) without installing the HD Audio Drivers (after uninstalling the old driver per your post instructions). I also disabled all 8 HD audio devices in the Device Manager so I don't get nagged by the Hardware Manager to install anything. So far my graphics card has been quiet as a mouse. The hardware monitor program shows the fan speed at 1470 RPM. I think this may be a solution!

Posted 04/28/2012 12:28 AM   
[quote name='scrapser' date='28 April 2012 - 12:28 AM' timestamp='1335572907' post='1401801']
[/quote]
Lets hope it will stay that way /stud.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':stud:' /> /rofl.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rofl:' /> /stud.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':stud:' />
[quote name='scrapser' date='28 April 2012 - 12:28 AM' timestamp='1335572907' post='1401801']

Lets hope it will stay that way /stud.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':stud:' /> /rofl.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rofl:' /> /stud.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':stud:' />

Posted 04/28/2012 07:46 PM   
Well it was quiet until tonight. After my computer was on for about 10 - 15 minutes, the fan started speeding up and down and slowly staying up longer and longer until finally it stays pegged at full speed. I tried turning off the computer and letting it sit for a few minutes but as soon as I hit the power button to start it up, the fan went straight to full speed. It has not stopped since.

The temps are 34 and 36 on the two cores and do not waver. The max temps on both are 35 and 36. I don't understand what could be causing this. I think I may bite the bullet and invest in a water block.

Added after submitting above text:

Weird! As soon as I hit the Submit button for the above text, the fan dropped back to 1530 and the cores jumped up to 37 and 38 degrees. It's almost as if the fan reacts (slower) when there is processing activity.
Well it was quiet until tonight. After my computer was on for about 10 - 15 minutes, the fan started speeding up and down and slowly staying up longer and longer until finally it stays pegged at full speed. I tried turning off the computer and letting it sit for a few minutes but as soon as I hit the power button to start it up, the fan went straight to full speed. It has not stopped since.

The temps are 34 and 36 on the two cores and do not waver. The max temps on both are 35 and 36. I don't understand what could be causing this. I think I may bite the bullet and invest in a water block.

Added after submitting above text:

Weird! As soon as I hit the Submit button for the above text, the fan dropped back to 1530 and the cores jumped up to 37 and 38 degrees. It's almost as if the fan reacts (slower) when there is processing activity.

Posted 05/02/2012 01:02 AM   
New development and maybe the final solution here! I was thinking why would the card stay quiet for a few days and then start acting up again. To me that seems more like a physical (mechanical) type bug. I went over to the EVGA forum and found a thread for a 570 owner who discovered his fan speed problem was due to a poorly seated fan connector. So I opened up my card and reseated the fan. It is now quiet again! When I cleaned my card last week, I may have touched the connector enough to make it work but it must have returned to its original position and resumed the problem. Now I think this noise will finally be gone.

Check your fan connection if you have weird fan behavior or constant high RPM's.
New development and maybe the final solution here! I was thinking why would the card stay quiet for a few days and then start acting up again. To me that seems more like a physical (mechanical) type bug. I went over to the EVGA forum and found a thread for a 570 owner who discovered his fan speed problem was due to a poorly seated fan connector. So I opened up my card and reseated the fan. It is now quiet again! When I cleaned my card last week, I may have touched the connector enough to make it work but it must have returned to its original position and resumed the problem. Now I think this noise will finally be gone.

Check your fan connection if you have weird fan behavior or constant high RPM's.

Posted 05/03/2012 03:09 AM   
Scroll To Top