SLI and Tribes:Ascend
I just recently purchased a second GTX 580 so I could run my system in SLI. This is the first time I've done it and once I received the card I had no problem with the installation. When I open up the control panel I see the SLI option and I have it enabled.

Now I did some benchmarking with Tribes:Ascend before I installed the second video card into my system. After I installed the card and enabled SLI I re-did the FPS benchmarks and the frame rate did not change at all. The benchmarks are all the same which tells me SLI is not being utilized.

So this is where I was hoping someone could help me. Forgive my idiocy, but I know nothing about SLI Profiles and the searching I did for Tribes:Ascend didn't bring much up either. Do I need to find a profile for this game to enable the use of my SLI setup? I know that the game uses a the Unreal Engine 3 so can I just use a generic profile for that? And if so, how do I setup the profile?

I realize these are probably newb questions but I'm hoping for some mercy as I would love to be able to use my SLI setup for this game. Any help is appreciated :)
I just recently purchased a second GTX 580 so I could run my system in SLI. This is the first time I've done it and once I received the card I had no problem with the installation. When I open up the control panel I see the SLI option and I have it enabled.

Now I did some benchmarking with Tribes:Ascend before I installed the second video card into my system. After I installed the card and enabled SLI I re-did the FPS benchmarks and the frame rate did not change at all. The benchmarks are all the same which tells me SLI is not being utilized.

So this is where I was hoping someone could help me. Forgive my idiocy, but I know nothing about SLI Profiles and the searching I did for Tribes:Ascend didn't bring much up either. Do I need to find a profile for this game to enable the use of my SLI setup? I know that the game uses a the Unreal Engine 3 so can I just use a generic profile for that? And if so, how do I setup the profile?

I realize these are probably newb questions but I'm hoping for some mercy as I would love to be able to use my SLI setup for this game. Any help is appreciated :)

Posted 04/25/2012 07:12 PM   
I don't even see a profile for this game and I have the latest driver set installed ([s]301.10[/s] 301.24). It seems Nvidia has not added a profile for this game yet, let alone an SLI profile.

You can try creating your own profile by adding the .exe file to the NV control panel. In the 3D settings section click on the "program settings" tab, then click on "add" and navigate to the game's main .exe file.

After you have done this and you have the new profile selected, scroll down to "SLI rendering mode" and select "force alternate frame rendering" (try modes 1 and 2).

If this doesn't work, you can try using Nvidia inspector to set SLI compatibility bits. Try using the NV control panel first though.
I don't even see a profile for this game and I have the latest driver set installed (301.10 301.24). It seems Nvidia has not added a profile for this game yet, let alone an SLI profile.

You can try creating your own profile by adding the .exe file to the NV control panel. In the 3D settings section click on the "program settings" tab, then click on "add" and navigate to the game's main .exe file.

After you have done this and you have the new profile selected, scroll down to "SLI rendering mode" and select "force alternate frame rendering" (try modes 1 and 2).

If this doesn't work, you can try using Nvidia inspector to set SLI compatibility bits. Try using the NV control panel first though.

EVGA E758 A1 X58 // Core i7 920@4Ghz // OCZ Platinum DDR3 1600 // EVGA GTX 670 SLI // Seasonic X Series Gold 1050w // Corsair 800D // Dual Dell Ultrasharp U2410 displays // Dell Ultrasharp 2408WFP

Posted 04/26/2012 01:30 AM   
Thanks for the update, I will definitely give your suggestions a try tonight. I'm curious though, I see you have a GTX 580 as well and you say you're running the latest driver set (301.10). But when I search for GTX 580 drivers on nvidia's website I'm only able to grab the 296.10 drivers. Am I missing something? Thanks again!
Thanks for the update, I will definitely give your suggestions a try tonight. I'm curious though, I see you have a GTX 580 as well and you say you're running the latest driver set (301.10). But when I search for GTX 580 drivers on nvidia's website I'm only able to grab the 296.10 drivers. Am I missing something? Thanks again!

Posted 04/26/2012 07:17 PM   
The 301.24 (301.10 was a typo in my last post, sorry bout that) drivers are the latest Beta release, so you have to search for Beta/Legacy drivers on Nvidia's website to pull them up.

[url="http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/43883"]Here's a link[/url] to the 64-bit 301.24 drivers for Win7\Vista. It's not a direct link, it just takes you strait to the download page.

Beta drivers have not yet undergone Microsoft's WHQL testing so that's why they're never listed on the main download page. While there's a greater chance that Beta drivers will be buggy, I find that they usually work fine on my system. The 301.24 drivers are notable because they're the first unified driver from the R300 family. This new driver enables some cool new features like adaptive vsync and FXAA.
The 301.24 (301.10 was a typo in my last post, sorry bout that) drivers are the latest Beta release, so you have to search for Beta/Legacy drivers on Nvidia's website to pull them up.

Here's a link to the 64-bit 301.24 drivers for Win7\Vista. It's not a direct link, it just takes you strait to the download page.

Beta drivers have not yet undergone Microsoft's WHQL testing so that's why they're never listed on the main download page. While there's a greater chance that Beta drivers will be buggy, I find that they usually work fine on my system. The 301.24 drivers are notable because they're the first unified driver from the R300 family. This new driver enables some cool new features like adaptive vsync and FXAA.

EVGA E758 A1 X58 // Core i7 920@4Ghz // OCZ Platinum DDR3 1600 // EVGA GTX 670 SLI // Seasonic X Series Gold 1050w // Corsair 800D // Dual Dell Ultrasharp U2410 displays // Dell Ultrasharp 2408WFP

Posted 04/26/2012 08:03 PM   
Ok so I did the change through the NVCP and when I tried alternate "force alternate frame rendering" mode 1, the framerate was horrid. Then when I tried mode 2, it seemed to work fine. The problem I have is I'm unable to see the load on both video cards to see how much they are being utilized. I downloaded the nvidia inspector and I see that you can tell the load with it, but you have to change which card you are viewing to see the load and when you get out of game to view it, the load drops down to almost nothing. Is there a suggestion you might have to view the load on the cards while in game to see exactly how much they are being utilized?

Also on a side note, I was able to talk to one of the T:A developers and they explained that they are indeed having issues with SLI but they are also working with nVidia to figure things out.

Thanks again for all your help! :)
Ok so I did the change through the NVCP and when I tried alternate "force alternate frame rendering" mode 1, the framerate was horrid. Then when I tried mode 2, it seemed to work fine. The problem I have is I'm unable to see the load on both video cards to see how much they are being utilized. I downloaded the nvidia inspector and I see that you can tell the load with it, but you have to change which card you are viewing to see the load and when you get out of game to view it, the load drops down to almost nothing. Is there a suggestion you might have to view the load on the cards while in game to see exactly how much they are being utilized?

Also on a side note, I was able to talk to one of the T:A developers and they explained that they are indeed having issues with SLI but they are also working with nVidia to figure things out.

Posted 04/27/2012 04:22 PM   
[quote name='-sLaM-' date='27 April 2012 - 05:22 PM' timestamp='1335543750' post='1401629']

[/quote]

You should download and install [url="http://downloads.guru3d.com/downloadget.php?id=2884&file=7&evp=6e0f5491672292c91f96c5b6faad425b"]MSI Afterburner[/url] for monitoring GPU usage. This is an excellent utility that no PC gamer should be without. You can also use Afterburner to monitor VRAM usage, GPU temp, framerate, and GPU fan speed. It will even allow you to OC your GPU, take screenshots, and record your gameplay in HD (audio and video capture is possible).

Afterburner has an OSD (enabled via the settings) that displays useful information in-game, including your GPU(s) usage.

Nvidia will likely include a proper SLI profile for this game in future driver releases. If you're lucky, the developer will release a patch as well to improve SLI support. Until then, maybe you can get by with forcing alternate frame rendering via the NV control panel. Even if it only nets you a small performance gain, it's better than nothing. If you like, you can play around with the SLI compatibility bits in Nvidia inspector (try using the compatibility bits for other games that use Unreal 3.0). Inspector also exposes a few more SLI rendering modes, but you'll likely find that AFR 1 or 2 gives you the best results.
[quote name='-sLaM-' date='27 April 2012 - 05:22 PM' timestamp='1335543750' post='1401629']

You should download and install MSI Afterburner for monitoring GPU usage. This is an excellent utility that no PC gamer should be without. You can also use Afterburner to monitor VRAM usage, GPU temp, framerate, and GPU fan speed. It will even allow you to OC your GPU, take screenshots, and record your gameplay in HD (audio and video capture is possible).

Afterburner has an OSD (enabled via the settings) that displays useful information in-game, including your GPU(s) usage.

Nvidia will likely include a proper SLI profile for this game in future driver releases. If you're lucky, the developer will release a patch as well to improve SLI support. Until then, maybe you can get by with forcing alternate frame rendering via the NV control panel. Even if it only nets you a small performance gain, it's better than nothing. If you like, you can play around with the SLI compatibility bits in Nvidia inspector (try using the compatibility bits for other games that use Unreal 3.0). Inspector also exposes a few more SLI rendering modes, but you'll likely find that AFR 1 or 2 gives you the best results.

Posted 04/27/2012 06:14 PM   
nvidia inspector -> profiles -> blacklight: retribution -> add app to current profile -> navigate to and select tribesascend.exe
nvidia inspector -> profiles -> blacklight: retribution -> add app to current profile -> navigate to and select tribesascend.exe

GTX TITAN SLI
GTX 680 PhysX
i7-4930K 4.7 GHz
BenQ W710ST

Posted 04/27/2012 06:23 PM   
[quote name='Kingping' date='27 April 2012 - 07:23 PM' timestamp='1335551030' post='1401671']
[/quote]
dat worked beautifully thx
[quote name='Kingping' date='27 April 2012 - 07:23 PM' timestamp='1335551030' post='1401671']

dat worked beautifully thx

Posted 05/13/2012 08:18 PM   
Scroll To Top